ADVERTISEMENT

GMU game thread - we win at home

My random thought: we all would groan audibly if Tyler wasn’t able to play. He’s such an integral part of our rotation it’s just obvious.

I can’t think of a single guy in the rotation behind him who would elicit the same response. I don’t think this means everyone else is average, but it does feel like almost everyone else is interchangeable. I also think maybe that is an indication that no one else is consistent enough to pull away from the pack.

We need that second guy for sure, surprising no one has really stepped up this season.

Game is sold out, so I think that means it’s already considered a win by the admin, regardless of actual outcome.
So is that all 3 day weekend A10 games sold out? All weekday not?

So is that all 3 day weekend A10 games sold out? All weekday not?
We sold out all 5 weekend A-10 games regardless of time of day, counting VCU Friday night as weekend...Duquesne (Sat 6pm), VCU (Fri 7pm), Fordham (Sun noon), Loyola (Sat 4pm), Mason (Sat 12:30pm).

We did not sell out any of our 4 non-weekend A-10 games.

My random thought: we all would groan audibly if Tyler wasn’t able to play. He’s such an integral part of our rotation it’s just obvious.

I can’t think of a single guy in the rotation behind him who would elicit the same response. I don’t think this means everyone else is average, but it does feel like almost everyone else is interchangeable. I also think maybe that is an indication that no one else is consistent enough to pull away from the pack.

We need that second guy for sure, surprising no one has really stepped up this season.

Paging Matt Grace...

Pretty wild to see the swings in his points scored each game. I didn't expect a ton from him but I was hopeful as the seasoned vet we could at least expect consistency from him this year. He has shown the ability to get hot and go off for 20+ but he's also just as likely to disappear like last night.

As mentioned, TB is the only one we can really pencil in for a consistent offensive output each game. Such a change from our teams of the past several years where we had a handful of guys who were pretty regular double digit scorers. When you get 20 from one guy and roll the dice on someone else maybe stepping up, you get what we are seeing.

Paging Matt Grace...

Pretty wild to see the swings in his points scored each game. I didn't expect a ton from him but I was hopeful as the seasoned vet we could at least expect consistency from him this year. He has shown the ability to get hot and go off for 20+ but he's also just as likely to disappear like last night.

As mentioned, TB is the only one we can really pencil in for a consistent offensive output each game. Such a change from our teams of the past several years where we had a handful of guys who were pretty regular double digit scorers. When you get 20 from one guy and roll the dice on someone else maybe stepping up, you get what we are seeing.
Had the similar depressing thought after the VCU game .. while all core members of the team has each had their own individual set of good games at some point during the season, the collective season long contribution basically makes me think that no one other than Tyler would have any significant minutes if they were wearing Gold and Black this year.

Start the graduating players for 5 minutes. Then play the bench. Mooney announce your retirement get a do nothing position at the University. (You’ll get a lot of applause) If you were at all prudent you should have plenty of money to live a long and hopefully heathy life. Peter get an assistant job where you can learn how to win, your first ‘interview’ didn’t go to well.

We, UR, can and should do better.

Really doesn't matter if we win or lose, this season is lost. But I do want to say one thing about Tyler Burton.

This guy is everything it means to be a Spider. He gave 100% effort every game, I can't remember he him ever being injured, didn't take plays off, rebounded like we have never seen a Mooney coached player rebound. During interviews, he is 100% accountable, showed great leadership, even when the failings of this team, we're not really his doing.

Hope he gets a great and well deserved send off and a win on senior day because he is certainly more than deserving of that.

Really doesn't matter if we win or lose, this season is lost. But I do want to say one thing about Tyler Burton.

This guy is everything it means to be a Spider. He gave 100% effort every game, I can't remember he him ever being injured, didn't take plays off, rebounded like we have never seen a Mooney coached player rebound. During interviews, he is 100% accountable, showed great leadership, even when the failings of this team, we're not really his doing.

Hope he gets a great and well deserved send off and a win on senior day because he is certainly more than deserving of that.
For sure to all of this and it is clear he loves the home crowd and he deserves a loud and exciting win in what likely will be his final game. True for Gus, MFG as well for their commitment to us over the last 5 years.

Reactions: urfan1

That's the only thing I'll miss on Saturday. Tyler seems to be a fantastic person and obviously player. He certainly gave it his all always.

One can argue that GMU is the 2nd hottest team in the conference right now and seems to have a chance at the double bye with a win although I haven't looked at the details in this insane eye chart.

Well, at least that one agrees there's no way for us to get the bye. SBUnfurled was relying on this one, but it doesn't look like it's using the highest common opponent tiebreaker, at least not correctly.

Game is sold out, so I think that means it’s already considered a win by the admin, regardless of actual outcome.
Show me one administration in the country that doesn't consider a sold-out arena a success FOR THAT PART OF THE OVERALL OPERATION.

Our goal should be to sell out every home game, and to win every home game (every game actually, but we are talking about home games). Two separate entities working together. It is possible to achieve both goals. It's better to achieve one than none. Preferably No. 2, but if that's not possible, then No. 1 at the very least.

Would you be happier if no one showed up? I'm surprised at this level of snarkyness from you.

Relax, it was a joke. My posts are full of them. Of course sellouts are great, however they're achieved. I have no issue with celebrating that.

But I am on the side that they shouldn't be used as evidence that everyone is happy with the direction of the program. A lot of us believe the program can't reach its potential under Mooney and think a change at the top would be a great sign that the administration is committed to sustained success in the other part of the operation. It's clear that's not going to happen though.

My daughter just sent me a pic of Nick playing in the seniors vs. teachers game today at St. Chris ... maybe he could sneak into RC on Sat since I think well need all the help we can get.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
My daughter just sent me a pic of Nick playing in the seniors vs. teachers game today at St. Chris ... maybe he could sneak into RC on Sat since I think well need all the help we can get.
Bad knees and all he is better than most we have

The game is sold out only to see Tyler one last time. Maybe another 20 years, before we get a player like that again. Maybe never.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Relax, it was a joke. My posts are full of them. Of course sellouts are great, however they're achieved. I have no issue with celebrating that.

But I am on the side that they shouldn't be used as evidence that everyone is happy with the direction of the program. A lot of us believe the program can't reach its potential under Mooney and think a change at the top would be a great sign that the administration is committed to sustained success in the other part of the operation. It's clear that's not going to happen though.
Oh, I totally agree (and am totally relaxed and shilled, like most Oregonians :cool:). As I have said numerous times, I think Mooney has passed the sell-by date. But as long as he's the coach, I want him to win.

The sellouts also demonstrate to me there is tremendous interest in our program, even in a losing season.

(Plus, as a Bills and Canisius fan for more than six decades, I've accepted there has to be more than winning to make sports enjoyable. That's especially become true with the Canisius part.)

(Plus, as a Bills and Canisius fan for more than six decades, I've accepted there has to be more than winning to make sports enjoyable. That's especially become true with the Canisius part.)
You've got a couple of decades on me, but yeah, I know the feeling with the Bills. Always wanted Canisius to win too (my dad was an alum), but realistically I knew it wasn't worth getting too invested lol, aside from the few years when some dude named Beilein was in charge.

When I was first exposed to CC hoops they were outstanding, with Andy Anderson, John Morrison, Tony Masiello ... a regional power, made it to the NIT finals in 1963 back when the NIT was close to equal with the NCAAs. Not letting Bob Lanier into school (or so the urban legend goes) was a bad mistake.

CC Saturday night doubleheaders at the Aud with my dad are some of my most precious memories growing up in the 716. I remember him being so excited to see Ernie D and Providence when he was a sophomore or junior, just before their 1973 Final Four trip.

UR played Canisius somewhat regularly in the early 1970s, at least twice at the Aud that I remember, once in the old Queen City Classic.

Last edited:
Maybe we can change the promotion for this weekend. If anyone misses 2 FTs, John Hardt retires. Would be the loudest the building has ever been.

Until we get a real AD we don’t have any reasonable hope for improvement.
the scoreboard wouldn't be the only thing broken in the RC after that one, we might need a new roof as well!

Maybe we can change the promotion for this weekend. If anyone misses 2 FTs, John Hardt retires. Would be the loudest the building has ever been.

Until we get a real AD we don’t have any reasonable hope for improvement.

But then they wouldn't hand out the redemption card at the door and he winds up signing himself to an extension.

There's a difference bt not having tickets available and a sell out...the former seems to be our situation most times vs actual sellouts.

This is a weird thing to get hung up on, as long as we all can agree that ticket sales can’t be conflated with win and losses.

And ftr, every program in the country calls a sellout a sellout when all tickets are sold. It has zero to do with attendance. That would be called an “Attendance-out”. <trademark pending>

Reactions: gospidersgo
It appears they don’t want any walk-up business. I would think they’d hold back a thousand or so tickets for day of game sales.
So, you can predict walkup sales? If you can sell the tickets before the game, you always do. What happens if you hold back 1,000 tickets that could have been sold beforehand, and it snows that day? You're left holding the bag for 700-800 tickets you could have sold because people stayed home.

A bird in the hand is the rule when it comes to selling tickets. Sell in advance, get the money. No-shows are still sold tickets. They don't really hurt you, when the alternative is an unsold, empty seat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT