ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

He did redeem himself with the 4 steals but sometimes seemed lost on defense when they switched. Missed every shot too.

was looking to pass too much. Was wide open a couple times in there late in 3rd but didn't confidently step into the shots without thinking, instead looked to pass and only shot when he realized how wide open he was and was pretty off on those 3s, which looked unnatural as they were not in rhythm.

was looking to pass too much. Was wide open a couple times in there late in 3rd but didn't confidently step into the shots without thinking, instead looked to pass and only shot when he realized how wide open he was and was pretty off on those 3s, which looked unnatural as they were not in rhythm.
This is every NBA game I watched with Gilly. Just an inability to pull the trigger on shots. Gilly has always played like this. His offensive game in my opinion is much better than he probably thinks it is himself.

earlier this year, Derrick Rose and Marcus Smart told him he had to take those shots. And in the G league playoffs, he certainly seemed comfortable taking his looks. Just in the NBA stints looks less sure of it. To be fair, 2 games with the Nets, he probably only has any kind of feel for Clowney's game, having played some in the G league, and maybe not much for whatever offense they ran in BK.

I think it’s a matter of confidence. He seems relaxed in the G League but out of sorts in the NBA. Perhaps the G League or Europe is the right place for him. Not writing him off and hope he proves me wrong, but the NBA doesn’t seem to give unlimited second chances.

It appears the Nets have not committed to bringing Gilly back for next season, but he will be on their summer league squad.

Can't get the link to work quite right but if I'm reading this correctly, Nets appear to have signed Gilly to a one year contract.

Nice second half for the Nets as they pull out the 97–95 win in OT. Gilly led the Nets in minutes at 35, but was only 2-for-4 from the field, all from deep. As usual, he filled up the rest of the stat sheet though with 7 assists, 3 steals, 4 boards, and a block, with 2 turnovers and a couple of fouls.

Nice second half for the Nets as they pull out the 97–95 win in OT. Gilly led the Nets in minutes at 35, but was only 2-for-4 from the field, all from deep. As usual, he filled up the rest of the stat sheet though with 7 assists, 3 steals, 4 boards, and a block, with 2 turnovers and a couple of fouls.
A block at his size is crazy.

Another quiet scoring night for Gilly...only 4 points including 0-for-4 from deep. Did have 7 assists again plus 3 boards, but also 5 fouls and 2 turnovers.

Gilly didn't see the floor tonight as the Nets nipped the Magic in OT, 102–100. I assume they have a good idea of what he offers and just wanted to get a better look at some of the other guys on the roster.

The Nets finish the regular part of the summer league schedule at 3–1. Only four teams make the semis/final playoff, with the other 26 teams being paired up for one final game Saturday or Sunday.

It looks like the Nets will play on Sunday against a TBA team, and I imagine they don't have much of a shot at the championship playoffs because there's a decent chance there will be at least four 4–0 teams. The Grizzlies are already in that group, with another four 3–0 teams playing later tonight or tomorrow and none of them playing each other. Even if a 3–1 team gets into the playoff, there's going to be a logjam of teams in tiebreakers 3–1, so the chances of the Nets getting a spot seem slim.

Even though Gilly shifted from the Grizz to the Nets after he ran out of two-way games last season, the Hustle apparently continued to hold his G-League rights for 2024, but they've just traded them to the Cleveland Charge.

Kenny A is of course now the Cavs coach. I wasn't sure if Geriot was still with the organization too, so I just looked him up and he's apparently now an assistant with the Pelicans.

Even though Gilly shifted from the Grizz to the Nets after he ran out of two-way games last season, the Hustle apparently continued to hold his G-League rights for 2024, but they've just traded them to the Cleveland Charge.
Bizarre. So I guess the he has no ties to the Nets at this point, in that case?

Apparently not. Doesn't make much sense, given the Grizzlies waived him once he ran out of games for them, and then he signed the new two-way with the Nets. The Nets didn't pick up his two-way again for the upcoming season, but I have no idea how the Grizz/Hustle still had any rights to him.

the Returning Player Rule appears to be that any player who returns to the G league, by rule, is re-acquired by the teams that they played for within the last two seasons. I guess for Gilly, Memphis essentially gets him back. But if he's out of games for them, makes sense they then trade those rights. How they determine who has returned to the G League, considering guys like Gilly may go up and down even for different franchises, is the part I don't quite grasp.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
The minimum, which most guys are on, is $40,500 for the upcoming season, but guys can earn more with bonuses, call-ups, etc.

Two-way guys like Gilly was last year earn half the NBA rookie minimum, so around $580,000 next season.

Garland is always getting hurt for Cleveland, so could be an opportunity there. The Grizzlies got hit with an almost incomprehensible array of injuries at the guard position last year and still Gilly was the odd man out. So, perhaps a change of scenery will present an opportunity for him in Cleveland.

Reactions: urfan1
Garland is always getting hurt for Cleveland, so could be an opportunity there. The Grizzlies got hit with an almost incomprehensible array of injuries at the guard position last year and still Gilly was the odd man out. So, perhaps a change of scenery will present an opportunity for him in Cleveland.
Gilyard played essentially as many games as allowed for the Grizzlies as a two-way player. They used him to the fullest extent possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT