ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

Yep. I assume there's a good chance the Hustle will sign him unless some other NBA team shows interest, although I assume he can't sign another two-way this season.

I think this site is updated with current NBA open roster spots info. The Gilyard info is in the "Grizzlies Rumors" section, where each team gets their own update. Looks like Jacob becomes an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers on Monday.

I read that Gilyard could sign a 10-day contract with the Grizzlies, or presumably anyone, after he clears waivers.

Awesome news, and it looks like heā€™ll be able to be active with the Nets for 13 or 14 games based on how many they have remaining.

Donā€™t see any word on whether the deal is just for the remainder of this season or if itā€™s for next season as well.

This is great news! Nets have a new coach and have been listless, hope he can see time as they evaluate their next steps.

Hoping for a Brooklyn Gilyard jersey as soon as this moment.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Also this made me question whether Gilyard is getting an extra 1/3 salary from this 2 way- I assume that he made basically the full amount of the 2 way from Memphis having been active 49 games? So this new contract is entirely separate from that one which had essentially expired? Would be an extra ~$160k if so.

Or are 2 way contracts based on the year and not the games played? Very confusing bc standard deals are by the year but 2 ways have the games restriction. I wouldnā€™t think the union would allow teams to loophole a contract by playing a guy 50 games and releasing him but only paying him like 2/3 of the value of that 2 way deal.

Probably not many guys who sign two 2 way deals in the same season so it may be a sort of unique situation.

Two-way players get half the rookie minimum but they are not guaranteed, so they get prorated...if you start the season on one and get cut, you only get paid that fraction, if you get signed to one late in the season like Gilly did last year, you only get that fraction. The contract is indeed based on the season, not on the number of NBA games used...a guy who plays 50 and a guy who spends almost the entire season down in the G League will be paid the same if they're on 2-ways for the same amount of time.

So Gilly will end up getting a little less than a full 2-way salary considering the brief gap between the Grizz contract ending and the Nets one beginning.

is there not a division between the G-league portion and the NBA portion anymore? It used to be he got paid as if he was on a 75k salary while in G-league, I think.

I guess I remain confused, because a guy would never be able to reap the entire salary by virtue of never being able to be in the NBA for a full season (unless they removed the salary differences part of the 2 way contracts and it's the same salary regardless of which league you are playing in.)

as a follow up - it does seem like if you max out your NBA games with a team, they should be on the hook for the entire year's salary, bc they got the max of it out of the player. And then you should be free to sign an entirely new and separate deal with another team (essentially double-dipping) because the other contract was fulfilled to its maximum extent.

It's very straightforward these days. You get paid half the rookie salary, prorated for the portion of the season you are under that contract. It does not matter how many games you are active for in each league.

Prior to the pandemic, salaries were much lower, you could only spend 45 days (not games) with the NBA club, and your pay did depend on how much time you spent in each league. But as of 2020ā€“21, that all went out the window and it's now a (much higher) flat rate regardless of how your time is split.

as a follow up - it does seem like if you max out your NBA games with a team, they should be on the hook for the entire year's salary, bc they got the max of it out of the player. And then you should be free to sign an entirely new and separate deal with another team (essentially double-dipping) because the other contract was fulfilled to its maximum extent.
Correct. He'll get paid by both teams.

The contract is for NBA + G league games, not just NBA. Since he was waived, he is no longer playing G league games for the Hustle and I assume will no longer be payed his salary from the Grizzlies/Hustle 2 way.

I have an idea as to how he can occupy his time on Thursday the 14th if they don't have an away game that day.

Long Island storms back to beat Westchester, 126ā€“121 in OT. Rough shooting night for Gilly until late, when he scored 6 of the Nets' 8 points in OT. Also had 11 assists and 2 steals, but 5 turnovers.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Not a huge night for Gilly, but the Long Island Nets got another win over the Go-Go. 9 points, 3 assists, 3 boards, but also 4 fouls and a team-low ā€“10.

Reactions: urfan1
LI Nets squeak by Birmingham, 115ā€“112. Another not-great shooting night from Gilly, but he finished with 12 points including 4 free throws in the closing seconds to lock up the W. Also had 9 assists and no turnovers.

Gilly was called up to Brooklyn for last night's win over the Raptors. Got 11 minutes off the bench but not a lot of stats...0-for-2 from deep, one assist, a steal, and two fouls.

One of the misses was a one-handed chuck from beyond half-court as he got a steal at the first quarter buzzer. The second was in the flow of the offense in the fourth quarter, but the Nets got the offensive board and eventually got a three on the possession anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT