ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

I assume so...Adams, Clarke, and Aldama are out, so all 15 other guys on the roster can be active.

(I think I read somewhere that Ja counts as a spot for the first 5 games of his suspension, and then another spot can be opened, but I'm not sure if that's for general roster spot or for active spot in a given game.)

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Gilly did not get on the floor tonight in a 111–104 loss to the Pelicans. Smart started and played 32 minutes at the point with Rose playing the other 16.

yup. that pass was sick. DU announcers couldn't believe he made it. Neither could I actually.

It's very cool how he knows the defenders won't look back since they're pretty much covering their man, but Gilly knows he only needs a foot to put it where his guy knows it will be and can reach it.

Also from that video... Justin Bean is just simply an effective basketball player. He's simultaneously annoying and admirable. I'd take him on my team for sure.

Gilly riding the bench again tonight with Smart and Rose taking all the PG minutes against the Nuggets.

Grizzlies fall to 0–4 with a 125–110 loss to the Mavs. Gilly and the other deep bench guys came in with 38 seconds left and Doncic at line to wrap up his 40-piece. Gilly missed a jumper on the ensuing final Grizz possession.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section9.RowD
I don't really follow the NBA so maybe someone who does can share some insight - at what point during an obviously lost season would a team typically give their young guys more time to develop them vs. trotting out the aging veterans? I understand it's still super early in the season and they are expecting a star back at some point so it might end up being irrelevant, but in general do NBA teams play the young guys more in a lost season or do they just stick with their starters? (trying to decide how hard to root for the Grizzlies to keep losing :) )

I don't really follow the NBA so maybe someone who does can share some insight - at what point during an obviously lost season would a team typically give their young guys more time to develop them vs. trotting out the aging veterans? I understand it's still super early in the season and they are expecting a star back at some point so it might end up being irrelevant, but in general do NBA teams play the young guys more in a lost season or do they just stick with their starters? (trying to decide how hard to root for the Grizzlies to keep losing :) )
I do and I would say it varies. There will be multiple teams that will go into intentional tank mode at our around mid-season. The Grizzlies aren't in any type of rebuild mode though, so I don't see them doing that. They lost their center for the season (Steven Adams) and have Ja coming back after his suspension. I suspect unless thing really go south, that they will make a trade for a big man to replace Adams and wait for Ja to return versus tanking. I could see him being good trade bait for a team with a big man who is in full tank mode.

If anything were to happen - a Ja suspension or injury after the first 25 games, they could easily go into tank mode. NBA does have various rules about trading free agent signees (Rose) and guys acquired via trades (Smart) so there’s no guarantee any spots or PG playing time would open up. Also Gilly can only be on the nba roster for 50 games in his 2 way contract. But even being on the nba roster these opening weeks gets him good money.

Keep in mind when Ja is back from suspension and gets back up to game speed, I would imagine that Gilly might be sent down.

But even being on the nba roster these opening weeks gets him good money.
It actually doesn't matter for the money part. Two-way guys get paid half the rookie salary regardless of how many NBA games they're active for (pro-rated based on signing date but of course he was signed well before the season began so he gets the full ~$560,000).

Only potential thing would be if he starts approaching the 50-game limit and they still want him active, in which case they'd have to convert him to a regular contract prior to the final regular-season game. But that's unlikely given it would require them to open a roster spot and the three heavy hitters in front of him.

D Rose hasn't played a full season in like a decade. only question is whether he lasts until Ja is back.

as for developing young talent, teams might play a young, raw 1st rounder over a better vet to develop him. but as much as I like Gilly, I don't see a team doing that for him. if/when he gets an opportunity, he has to kill it.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
Grizzlies got murdered by the Jazz tonight, falling behind 42–19 after one and ultimately losing 133–109.

Gilly got some solid run behind Smart with 20 minutes off the bench. Only 3 points on 1-for-2 from deep, but also had 6 assists (tied with Smart for team-high in fewer minutes), 3 boards, and a steal. And no turnovers or fouls.

Supposedly bare feet or socks, but it's only recently that the NBA has tried to be firmer about not letting teams fudge on guys' heights, so who knows about historical measurements.

Grizzlies in Portland tonight as part of the NBA's new in season tournament (NBA Cup.) The games count against standings, even though they're part of the "group stage" of the tournament. 2 additional games will be scheduled for those teams who don't make it to the quarterfinals so that every team's schedule is rounded out to 82 games. The finals of the in season tournament make it an 83rd game for those 2 teams, and won't count against the regular season standings. It's all a bit messy but they need to ensure no one rests all regulars for the Cup games.

Here's what I found for tv/streaming options:

TV channel: Root Sports (in Portland: Comcast 734; DirecTV: 687) and Root Sports PLUS (in Portland: Comcast 1253; DirecTV: 688).

Watch the game live online: You can watch this game live for FREE with Fubo (free trial). You can also get this game on DirecTV Stream’s “CHOICE” package (promotional offers), if you are out of fuboTV trials, or simply prefer that platform and their pricing plans. If you already have a cable or satellite provider that carries Root Sports and want to watch online, you can watch this game live on Root Sports Live.

Reactions: urfan1
This tournament thing is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in pro sports. Adam Silver should get crushed for it, because it's just bad and therefore he's bad and should be booed. Boo this man!

Doesn't bother me. It's essentially just a subset of regular season games, with some extra incentive for the guys to play and play hard. Seems like a decent experiment for the early season when excitement level is generally low.

It means nothing. Seems like the kind of thing we would hang a banner for, though, so watch Mooney petition the A10 to do it next year.

if Memphis can somehow get to the quarterfinals stage and get Ja back, it would mean a lot to one man...Gilly, since the winner's prize would essentially double his salary for the year. (I'm assuming that shares go to all guys on the nba roster at any point in the Cup, not just at the time of the championship.)

I am watching the Grizzlies game. I am not saying Gilyard is better than Smart, but Smart is not looking good out there. Missing a lot of shots, bad passes and turnovers. Gilyard has 0 points, 0 turnover, 3 assists, and is +15 in 7 minutes at the half. Smart played 16 minutes and is -16, 3 turnovers, 2 assists. Grizzlies are down 1 at the half.

• Angry
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT