ADVERTISEMENT

Gilly in the NBA

I hope everything works out for Gilly next year. He had a fabulous year in the G league and his one NBA game, which are in his favor, but the Grizzlies have 3 draft picks and only one opening on the roster. Also, Ja Morant 25 game suspension could either help or hurt, depending if they bring in another point guard.

They're definitely bringing in another point guard. We'd all like them to just turn things over to Gilly, but that's not happening.

According to a quick look at some draft blogs, seems like people expect the Grizzlies to use the draft to replace Dillon Brooks at SG/SF. Could be good news for Gilyard. We will see.

Grizzlies bringing in Marcus Smart to help them get through. They gave up Tyus Jones to do it, but that's a solid upgrade at PG with Ja out. But if that's their solution, Gilly could still get some decent time as backup while Ja is out, because they don't have any other PGs right now.

Reactions: urfan1
Agree that Tyus Jones is not bad. I think Smart gets a little too much hype. He dives on the floor, etc and gets credit as a big hustle guy. I will say I believe he plays hard and with energy every night. But on the flip side he has some of the worst decision making and passing in the last five minutes of a game that you would ever want to see. Attempts to make the most difficult pass possible at crunch time, with limited results. Hopefully this does not impact Gilly so far.

Reactions: gcarter52
Is Gilyard the shortest current NBA player? I was reading this Athletic article about Wembanyama and it has a figure showing the heights of current and historic NBA players. It looks like they have Gilyard as the shortest current player.

Look at the "Comparing Victor's Height" section. Click on the lowest green dot. It shows you how he lines up against Victor.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Yep, he's the only guy at a generous 5'9". They have Facundo Campazzo next at 5'10", but he was waived by the Mavs early in the season and played the rest of the year in Serbia. He also appears to be tied for 13th shortest in NBA history.

Screenshot-2023-06-22-at-10-19-30-PM.jpg

Reactions: gospidersgo
is it though? I kinda like Tyus Jones.
I love Tyus Jones and I think him leaving kind of leaves the door open for Gilly; because Gilly plays a similar type game to Jones. So, I could see him potentially getting some run early as Smart's back-up until Ja returns.

Also love Marcus Smart, (and I say that as a Sixer fan, which pains me, but love his game). Dude is tough, gritty, a leader which is why I think Memphis got him. Memphis was super talented last year but also a hot mess.

Reactions: spiderman
Unfortunate, but not surprising they brought in another experienced PG.

Anyway, Gilly is officially on the Grizz Summer League roster:

Looks like Golden will be on the Nuggets' Summer League roster as well.

Preseason-opening 127–122 win for the Grizz over the Pacers, and Gilly got 20 minutes off the bench. Only 3 points on 1-for-3 from deep, but everything else was pure Gilly...6 assists, 3 steals, and even 5 boards. (Did have 3 turnovers though.)

Last edited:
Grizzlies pick up another W, 108–102 over the Bucks. Gilly only got 10 minutes off the bench, but had 3 assists, a steal, and a block, and was 1-for-2 from deep. Here was that bucket, which unsurprisingly came on a fast break off his steal:

Grizzlies came back from 11 down at the start of the 4th to go ahead with under two minutes to play, but couldn't finish the job and fell to the Hawks, 103–102.

Gilly got the start and played a game-high 31 minutes, shooting only 1-for-5 (all from deep) but racking up 10 assists, 4 boards, 2 steals, and only 2 turnovers.

Gilly didn't shoot well the last game, but neither did any of the other guards. It is unbelievable that he started the last game. His accomplishments are well above where any of us thought he would get to. Hopefully, his minutes continue into the regular season.

Reactions: urfan1
It's not really surprising he started. It's the preseason where they want a look at their young guys. Ja is suspended, Smart is still nursing an injury and not playing, and Rose was resting after getting a little work in for the first two games. Somebody's gotta play at PG.

Smart got the start at PG in his first preseason action as he eases back into things, but Gilly got 18 minutes off the bench in a 124–116 loss as the Bucks stormed back in the 4th. 3 points on 1-for-3 from the field, plus 3 assists, 3 boards, and a steal.

Memphis finalized its roster. 15 players on roster plus the three guys on 2 Way contracts, Gilly included. They also may have the ability to add another guy to the roster after 5 games because of a suspension exemption.

All told, given Rose's conditioning and sporadic injury issues from the last couple years in NY, along with Smart just ramping back up from injury, I am hoping Gilly gets a few call ups in these first 25 games. Hopefully the league's new rest rules don't adversely affect his time.

2-way guys can be active for up to 50 of the team's 82 games, and they earn half the rookie salary, so about $560k this year.

Teams used to be allowed to carry two 2-way contracts, but that increased to three this year.

2 way guys are also not eligible for the postseason. Their contract would have to be converted for them to be eligible.
Correct, although they can travel with the team for the postseason as Gilly did last year. Valuable experience.

Memphis finalized its roster. 15 players on roster plus the three guys on 2 Way contracts, Gilly included. They also may have the ability to add another guy to the roster after 5 games because of a suspension exemption.

All told, given Rose's conditioning and sporadic injury issues from the last couple years in NY, along with Smart just ramping back up from injury, I am hoping Gilly gets a few call ups in these first 25 games. Hopefully the league's new rest rules don't adversely affect his time.

D. Rose is an injury waiting to happen. Feel there might be a spot for Gilly early on, not sure how much time will be there once Ja returns. A Morant-Smart backcourt is gonna be one of the best in the NBA. But Smart is also injury prone with how he plays and Morant is one idiotic move away from getting kicked out for the entire year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT