ADVERTISEMENT

Gill is apparently "Toast" per the Times-Dispatch

I would hope that our key coaches have a heavy hand in the search. I'm excited to see what happens next.

This is proof that athletics success really does matter to people at UR.

Reactions: spiderstudent17
RTD article now says that Crutcher has accepted Gill's resignation. Will David Walsh have a shot at it this time? Will we go for someone with a Richmond connection, who knows... Just would like to see the right fit in the position.

32Counter called it on April 17th:
==================================
"Sounds like it was dictated by Gill to JOC.
5 year contract is coming up for renewal/non renewal it is presumed.

Could Gill be up against the ropes in the 15th round and behind on all judges cards?

Gill is feeling good about being a Spider-not sure the feeling is mutual.

In fifth year as UR athletic director, Keith Gill feels 'good about being a Spider'

http://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...cle_50674ff0-8471-5c75-9fa3-21976bed1668.html

1 32counter, Apr 17, 2017"

Nice crystal ball, 32Counter.

32Counter called it on April 17th:
"Sounds like it was dictated by Gill to JOC.
5 year contract is coming up for renewal/non renewal it is presumed.

Could Gill be up against the ropes in the 15th round and behind on all judges cards?

Gill is feeling good about being a Spider-not sure the feeling is mutual.

In fifth year as UR athletic director, Keith Gill feels 'good about being a Spider'

http://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...cle_50674ff0-8471-5c75-9fa3-21976bed1668.html

1 32counter, Apr 17, 2017"

Nice crystal ball, 32Counter.

My views on Gill have been well known for many,many months:

1.Any guy that shakes your hand after you initiated the handshake and doesn't look you in the eye or is not really paying attention lacks basic interactive skills.Even if the initiator gives 5 digits to the Spider Club.This happened 5 years ago.I knew we were in trouble at that meeting.My comments about Gill during the Danny issue were overtly harsh and sadly,on point.

2.He inherited a department and operated it on 'auto pilot.'All improvements were done.Gill did not take advantage of that fact by not enhancing much of anything.

3.He was not a fundraiser.He never hit the road to raise money.

4.His inability to interact with other coaches led to a situation that there was a lack of advocacy for anything.

5.Spider Club donations had to have taken a hit since the Danny fiasco.Like many, I have withheld making contributions and will continue to do so.

6.Gill was an NCAA guy"administrator"who liked to get on committees.Nobody inside UR cared except Gill's resume.Gill was the boss in name only.

7.Its important for UR to hire a person who actually likes people,interacts with people,does fundraising,
is an overt advocate for all coaches and student-athlete alike and has an interpersonal relationship with members of the BOT.

8.No more empty suits(or an empty dress) as an AD,please.The new AD needs to enhance the value of UR athletics within and outside the UR community.

9.Gill was underqualified for the job-an underachiever in so many ways-a lightweight who appeared awkward in public settings.

This is not meant to be as a 'piling on'.The school made a big mistake by its original hire.Gill was our 3rd choice.Hopefully, it gets it right this time by a much better vetting process and not just an undergraduate degree pedigree.

Last edited:
Thank god! I was so happy when I heard this news. However it just makes the Danny Rocco situation hurt even more now. I bet he wishes he would've stayed now. We need to make a strong hire at this position this time. It needs to be someone who has an aggressive attitude and vision for football and basketball. No more of the complacency like we had with gill. Overall this is a great day for UR athletics.

1.Any guy that shakes your hand after you initiated the handshake and doesn't look you in the eye or is not really paying attention lacks basic interactive skills.Even if the initiator gives 5 digits to the Spider Club.This happened 5 years ago.I knew we were in trouble at that meeting.My comments about Gill during the Danny issue were overtly harsh and sadly,on point.

2.He inherited a department and operated it on 'auto pilot.'All improvements were done.Gill did not take advantage of that fact by not enhancing much of anything.

3.He was not a fundraiser.He never hit the road to raise money.

4.His inability to interact with other coaches led to a situation that there was a lack of advocacy for anything.

5.Spider Club donations had to have taken a hit since the Danny fiasco.Like many, I have withheld making contributions and will continue to do so.

6.Gill was an NCAA guy"administrator"who liked to get on committees.Nobody inside UR cared except Gill's resume.Gill was the boss in name only.

7.Its important for UR to hire a person who actually likes people,interacts with people,does fundraising,
is an overt advocate for all coaches and student-athlete alike and has an interpersonal relationship with members of the BOT.

8.No more empty suits(or an empty dress) as an AD,please.The new AD needs to enhance the value of UR athletics within and outside the UR community.

9.Gill was underqualified for the job-an underachiever in so many ways-a lightweight who appeared awkward in public settings.

This is not meant to be as a 'piling on'.The school made a big mistake by its original hire.Gill was our 3rd choice.Hopefully, it gets it right this time by a much better vetting process and not just an undergraduate degree pedigree.

Nice list 32. I think you hit a lot of key points as to why Gill was not the right fit for the job. He would have been great as an administrator for the University but as the face of the athletic department, it was a job he just wasn't suited for. Number 9 is what always struck me. I'm sorry but the AD needs to be not only very comfortable but also adept at dealing with the media and public situations. Gill was never fully comfortable with those very public aspects of the job and it showed.

will he resign his position on the ncaa basketball selection committee?

I don't see how he could serve if he's not an AD or conference commish. I'm sure they'll replace him.

He will be replaced. Can't be on the selection committee if you don't work in college athletics. Selection committee members are generally replaced even if they change schools, but remain in college athletics.

Ironically, the exact same thing happened to me 5 years ago. During a tailgate, Allison V. was riding Gill around the lot on a golf cart. She stopped to introduce Gill to me. He didn't look at me period, gave me a "girl" handshake, never acknowledged me at all. I thought then "what a jerk, can't believe we hired him"

Could it be that doing our own homework as to where we want to go and what type of person we want at the helm is of the greater importance than filling the AD job quickly.The summer break is hopefully a good time for PQ and others to interview potentials in Martha's Vineyard.

UR has road map that will lead to new athletic director

http://www.richmond.com/sports/ur-h...cle_059e3ec0-3f83-547a-91c8-20b6c932bf30.html

The other part of this is we have a very good interim in place..............so why rush?

The other part of this is we have a very good interim in place..............so why rush?

Some might argue that the AD has operated without an Athletic Director for quite some time. No need to rush, except for the perception that inaction is a statement on how we value athletics.

There are a lot of good people in that department that can keep the wheels on the tracks.

No void in resume for his next new gig after A10.Wonder who is picking up tab for his A10 job?We let folks down easy.Its the new world order of seamless transition.This whole 'event'
and it's timing has obviously been in the works and programmed for awhile.Cleverly orchestrated and choreographed by UR.A holding pattern for Gill.

http://pacmail.em.marketinghq.net/f...2&hq_e=el&hq_m=1315753&hq_l=1&hq_v=bec1982f82

Last edited:
Reactions: MolivaManiac
No void in resume for his next new gig after A10.Wonder who is picking up tab for his A10 job?We let folks down easy.Its the new world order of seamless transition.This whole 'event'
and it's timing has obviously been in the works and programmed for awhile.Cleverly orchestrated and choreographed by UR.A holding pattern for Gill.

http://pacmail.em.marketinghq.net/f...2&hq_e=el&hq_m=1315753&hq_l=1&hq_v=bec1982f82

Perhaps an ignorant question. Is KG's seat on the NCAA selection committee of some great value to the A10 and its member institutions?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT