ADVERTISEMENT

Ford Gone

I understand we are still recruiting a transfer, they must have known this was coming.

Well, I said we were going to need Verbinskis or Ford to be contributors.

Fan1, I am trying my hardest to keep a good attitude, but have less than 0% confidence they bring in a contributor at this point.

This is really unbelievable, the recruiting acumen of this staff has got to be one of the worst in the USA.

Reactions: PASpider
I understand we are still recruiting a transfer, they must have known this was coming.
I understood the same, fan1. Funny that the same people who complained about Phoenix when he was here are the same ones complaining that he is gone. SMH

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
I understood the same, fan1. Funny that the same people who complained about Phoenix when he was here are the same ones complaining that he is gone. SMH
I didn't complain about him. Shake your head all you want Ulla. I just posted his highlights and said he looked much better than Grace, and with the redshirt year and instruction and work with our coaches, and everyone saying how big and chippy he was, looked like a guy who could contribute this year. And Mooney just said no more attrition and lose two more. To a community college, really? Oh well, another day in the ever slippery slope of the Mooney administration. What is next, Gilyard to SE Missouri State?

Yes Fan1, it definitely would help if we land a sought after transfer. Especially if he is a grad transfer or otherwise immediately eligible. I want to see the list of those seeking him before I agree to him being sought after.

I have started following San Diego State some. I noticed after losing some key contributors this year and had a key decommit recently. I didn't really check for a week and a half, and boom they have signed three key contributors. Yes, it is a nice place to recruit to, but it is in a comparable conference. Each one of these talents they recruited had a story and the staff was persistent in staying in touch beating out programs like Creighton and Gonzaga for their services. We beat out the Siena's. SMDH. Shake shake shaka shake.

Yes, if we were talking about the odds of who would announce next, would not have guessed Ford, and especially to community college. Interesting the timing. Seems usually there is collaboration and Richmond announces transfer first?

Well this stinks. Maybe by “huge” they meant it would be a “huge disappointment” for us Spider fans with a bunch of our players leaving

Reactions: Spider2020
Well this one seemed to come out of nowhere...
Didn't they all?
Makes me wonder how much of a disconnect there is between the players and the coach. Unless we land a one-and-done freshman or a grad student who is a significant contributor we will be hard-pressed to improve on last year's record.

The JUCO move has nothing to do with academics or inability to find a suitor. Just taking that off the table now.

Just a straight up transfer going JUCO to not have to sit 2 straight years?

Too bad, we need some size and he had it. And a cool name too.

JUCO and CC are the same thing.
Hmmm, OK. I just know guys that went and played at Virginia Western CC, or the CC's near me in CT are really just anyone who show's up, like a club team. JUCO is like Hagerstown, or the league in TX that is full of D1 talent (if not academic students). But maybe it is just a name.
Yes, if he was getting the Mooney cold shoulder already, probably wanted to get on the court as opposed to redshirting, then playing 20 minutes next year, then transferring to D1 - so effectively playing 20 minutes in over 1100 days.

And some were wondering about the "double redshirt" Mooney got the triple redshirt no handshake, screw you like Paul game plan going on. So to recap: Solly, PF, Fore, Buck, Ford all left with time remaining.

It seems like we are losing players left and right. 17 players on our roster last year. We have 10 players returning from that roster. I don't remember a preseason where so much turnover happens.

We had 5 scholarship players leave this program - with eligibility remaining - who were on the roster at the beginning of this past season: Solly, Friendshuh, Buck, Fore, and Ford.

Man, with all the players leaving, they could field a new team. Wouldn't that be something? Imagine if they all joined the same team and we played against them. I bet Mooney supporters would say Mooney wins either way!

All this negative talk about losing a guy who has never played and who many of you were criticizing Mooney for even recruiting him? He wasn't going to be in our top 7 rotation and maybe not in our rotation at all, right? Is this really that big a deal?

All this negative talk about losing a guy who has never played and who many of you were criticizing Mooney for even recruiting him? He wasn't going to be in our top 7 rotation and maybe not in our rotation at all, right? Is this really that big a deal?
I don’t think this is that big a deal, no. I do think the continuing concern is that we don’t seem to be able to recruit/retain quality forwards at a time when we really need more depth in the frontcourt.

Well it’s either another recruiting miss for this coaching staff or a player who doesn’t want to play for them, either way doesn’t reflect well on a coach who expected no more attrition after his one senior transferred out of the program.

I don’t think this is that big a deal, no. I do think the continuing concern is that we don’t seem to be able to recruit/retain quality forwards at a time when we really need more depth in the frontcourt.

Fair enough.

Reactions: KWeaver
April 4, 2018:

But, how as a coach can you always know? I would think if the guys that left would have known they were leaving when Mooney said this than they would have announced it then. It only hurts them to wait because other teams might have already filled some spots. So, if they did not know, how could Mooney possibly know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT