ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor Smith Entering Transfer Portal

It will be interesting if Mooney still hits the hs ranks hard for his small guard now after the Jordan King success. because Moon hit rate been bad recently for the PG tho historically good. Wilson, JayNel and Trevor Smith didn't work out. Tyne the late spring signee is saving him here. Btw with 4 ships I think we get 1 more spring hs recruit this offseason with rest dedicated to portal, we'll see.

Reactions: WCUR11
Like any portfolio, diversification is key. I think a mix of kids that you hope are 4-year kids out of high school plus transfers is still appropriate.

I don't want Richmond to be Eric Mussleman U, or Mark Schmidt South. I want it to be a place where we do grow and develop our own, and then supplement each year with a key transfer or three. It seems like a healthy balance, and I think important for a program and for culture that we don't actively promote such a transactional approach. The pendulum will swing back this direction (perhaps after the last of the covid-year kids run out of eligibility) and we want to be able to promote ourselves as a place where a player can grow and contribute.

Or, to take the Moneyball approach -- where's the inefficiency? Soon enough all of the P5 are going to be Eric Musselman U, and the inefficiency will be the Top 150--300 HS kids that otherwise would have had a spot at a P5 that don't now.

I like the "program guys". Hoping the two forwards coming in, as well as Tyne, Walz and Soulis are these type of core guys. Dji was one of those guys, but due to injury we only got one year of production. Was really hoping he came back to be that glue and a leader. But I do think the model of having guys 3-4 years and then filling in holes with transfers would be our best model. Again, as others has noted the efficiencies seem to be to grab the proven college players over developing the four year guy. And the trouble is keeping and developing that 3-4 guy without losing to the portal.

no choice but to be active in the portal when you have guys leave in March.

Mooney still seems focused on multi-year transfers. makes sense. our undergrad degree is more valuable. but I was wrong that we were at a disadvantage with 1 year grad transfers. different kids have different goals. King was a homerun, and Harris was a solid double.

both showed it doesn't take years to learn our rocket-science system.
We need to dispense with the myth that our system is somehow unlearnable unless you’ve been in it for a year or two. That’s just untrue, good players thrive in it. Mediocre guys are mediocre or poor in it and likely would be the same in a different system as well.

He showed quite a bit of flash and promise at the end of the 22/23 season, I think many of us had pretty high expectations coming into this past season so it was quite the shock to see him go from starter to Mooney's doghouse like that.
He (Noyes) was given ample time to show his stuff, but something wasn’t jelling as what many of us expected from his few flashes in the prior year. I thought he could do some big things cause he looked like he could shoot and fly through the air, but it never seemed to materialize. Not sure what next year brings if he stays, but he’s going to need to breakout to get real minutes; otherwise relegated to the bench again.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
We need to dispense with the myth that our system is somehow unlearnable unless you’ve been in it for a year or two. That’s just untrue, good players thrive in it. Mediocre guys are mediocre or poor in it and likely would be the same in a different system as well.
100%. Jordan King, D-Lo, Harris all came in this year and played at very high levels. Mooney isn't teaching some type of rocket science out there. The guys that haven't excelled in it, just weren't A-10 level players. If that were the case, name me one guy, who left UR and became a star at another program. I can't recall anyone.

In fact, I would say the opposite is true, that Mooney can take guys who maybe haven't excelled at other programs and makes them better here.

Mooney's issue's of why he is never been more than a 55% winner have to do with his lack of success in recruiting (high school especially)and his game design/management (offensive rebounding, adjustments or lack there of in game).

What is so frustrating about Mooney is that he could be an elite coach (especially now with the portal, so he doesn't have to have so many misses at the high school level), if he just wasn't so damn stubborn about game design and took a more active role in making adjustments during the game.

Josh Duinker
Presume you mean what he did professionally because he spent all 4 years at Richmond. I would say it's tough to compare the NCAA performance with the Australian, New Zealand, and Hungarian professional leagues. No idea that talent level on this league. Duinker was one of those guys though, whom I think we all thought would be better than what he was.

Reactions: spiderman
Mooney led the hype machine on that one I recall. Think he touted him as possible Rookie of Year candidate?
He did seem like a guy that we failed to develop. And that ended our great Australian pipeline. Seemed like we could follow Randy Bennett's lead at St. Mary's but just as we did not follow them in NCAA tournament participation and success, this landed with a thud. But I digress.

Reactions: whampas
Much easier for his family to watch him play. He should do very well at Hampton.

Ironic that had he gone to Hampton first, he might now be in the portal after a solid freshman season looking to transfer someplace like UR...
So, true. I think Hampton is a great spot for him. Close to home, think his skill set is much more suited for a program like Hampton than an A-10 program like ours. I hope he performs well there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT