ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola Game Thread - Tues 8pm ESPN+

Was the call out of bounds or a travel? He had picked up his dribble, so it shouldn’t have mattered if he was in or out of bounds if his fingertips were still on the ball when he landed (and I think they were).
Great point. It looked like he wasn’t touching the ball when he landed out of bounds, but that first foot in bounds?

I never saw the signal from the ref, travel or out…

We made it 58-52 with 1:11 left, after that nothing we did went right.
Glad a few things they did, didn’t either…

Reactions: gospidersgo
3 undefeated teams.
Who had UR and URI as 2 of them?

Great point. It looked like he wasn’t touching the ball when he landed out of bounds, but that first foot in bounds?

I never saw the signal from the ref, travel or out…
I was telling my wife it had to have been a travel call, but that is not what the announcers were saying. The Rambler wasn’t out of bounds.

Spiders also actually got a ghost foul on Bigelow also (he definitely just slipped on his own), but of course he missed the FT.

Spiders escape with the elusive road win. It was super ugly on offense other than some clutch 3 point shooting.

Was the call out of bounds or a travel? He had picked up his dribble, so it shouldn’t have mattered if he was in or out of bounds if his fingertips were still on the ball when he landed (and I think they were).
Came here to say the same thing. The out of bounds part didn't matter at all. The announcers stupidly didn't realize this. Hopefully the officials did! Either way, a win is a win and I'll take it. Looked like this was going to be another road game we let slip away, but King with those two threes, Dji with another one and some really tough defense down the stretch did it. Onward...

Last edited:
yes, was def. a travel, not OOB (it may have been out too tho.)

Bigelow was never fouled and he stepped out, but he missed the 1-1 anyway. Also, I don't know if he fouled the dunker on the and-1 either (that guy missed the FT too, I think.)

Man, I cannot recall a game like Quinn's, maybe ever, in the Moon era. Each bucket was kind of important but so many terrible passes, missed shots in close, clutch FT misses., turnovers, silly fouls Basically, I don't think he has it in him to play big man post bullyball against any defender who has shot blocking ability, regardless of his size/bulk advantage. If he gets into a defender's chest, he cannot leave the floot and doesn't go strong for fear it will get rejected. Walz on the other hand, seemed to want to use his strength and go at guys.

I'm pretty shocked by the crowd. They made a F4, tons of national publicity, play in a major city...why are they not drawing better crowds? It's no wonder they have the student assistants posing as baseline fans.
Yes, pathetic crowd. I was surprised as well. I know big cities tend to be "pro team" crowds, like Boston - but this is bad.

but why were u guys expecting a good crowd? I mentioned earlier today the crowd wasn't going to be much. its a relatively small arena but loyola never been known for crowds. catholic school in Chicago, not happening. North Chicago so not a bad area but Tues night Richmond isn't going to pop either. I wasn't excited about their A10 entry. They r ok, but felt one trick pony (couple good bball years) & would revert back and not add much else.

That was a pretty good road win and has improved our Kenpom predicted record by another game. We are now predicted to be 20-11.

Reactions: urfan1
A win is a win. That was about as ugly of a win as I've seen but we can't be picky, especially on the road. Just enough clutch shot making (and Loyola mistakes) to pull this one off. Congrats to the guys for ending the road losing streak.

I was telling my wife it had to have been a travel call, but that is not what the announcers were saying. The Rambler wasn’t out of bounds.

what were they reviewing if it wasn't OOB? They were not going to review a travel. I honestly didn't see the travel wasn't focused on that, I would have to go back and watch. They called it OOB. Which I think was a bad call. It was close. If there was another angle I think the ball was barely out. But I don't think u should make that call in that situation if its that close. We'll take it tho. usually people on here r always saying refs have it out for us. We got benefit of some great calls tonight imo and should be honest. If that was a bad travel b4 OOB call ok but again I'll have to see it.

The technical foul turned the game (questionable bc that stuff happens a lot in game). The "OOB" play where they were about to get a good look game winning 3. And the bail out call on Bigelow late which should have been a turnover. They called a phantom foul on Bigelow on the putback dunk I don't think Bigs touched him at all, but other calls for us more important.

Reactions: plydogg
Ugly win but u need those. I was expecting a W tonight but u still have to do it. We had external factors heavy in our favor first 2 league games as I've mentioned b4. we took advantage. But now it stops, Goo Moos coming off loss, and then face 2 teams that will likely be looking for 1st home A10 win and a little better team than what they've shown in start (Duq & Davidson). need to match the desperation.

Got fortunate tonight...last 2 minutes end game bad, help by refs, they missed a wide open 3 late when we were running all over place on D, and they were about to get another good look from good shooter at end b4 the very questionable OOB whistle stopping play. Make some FTs and it's different situation. But we did get clutch 3s to give us some margin. Deep ones by King and the open top of key from Dji. Overall we need to find more ways to score halfcourt. Right now it feels like King creating own shot, or 4 out ISO for Quinn.

I would have liked to see Walz get more time he gave us good minutes. Bottom line we got the job done, nothing to feel bad about, but it gets harder here quickly.

what were they reviewing if it wasn't OOB? They were not going to review a travel. I honestly didn't see the travel wasn't focused on that, I would have to go back and watch. They called it OOB. Which I think was a bad call. It was close. If there was another angle I think the ball was barely out. But I don't think u should make that call in that situation if its that close. We'll take it tho. usually people on here r always saying refs have it out for us. We got benefit of some great calls tonight imo and should be honest. If that was a bad travel b4 OOB call ok but again I'll have to see it.

The technical foul turned the game (questionable bc that stuff happens a lot in game). The "OOB" play where they were about to get a good look game winning 3. And the bail out call on Bigelow late which should have been a turnover. They called a phantom foul on Bigelow on the putback dunk I don't think Bigs touched him at all, but other calls for us more important.
They had to be reviewing the travel. He jumped up with both feet off the ground while holding the ball. At that point, where he lands is irrelevant. The only question was DID he land while still possessing the ball and they said he did.

We had quality free throw defense on that potential and-1.
Remember, LUC was favored, undefeated, at home yet we overcame those odds to win. Also we had a serious monkey on our backs, been nearly a year since our last road win!

I saw the replay several times, the ball was on his fingertips when his left foot touched the baseline!
They had to be reviewing the travel. He jumped up with both feet off the ground while holding the ball. At that point, where he lands is irrelevant. The only question was DID he land while still possessing the ball and they said he did.
he had the ball in his hand,regardless, it was a turnover!

Remember, LUC was favored, undefeated, at home yet we overcame those odds to win. Also we had a serious monkey on our backs, been nearly a year since our last road win!

I saw the replay several times, the ball was on his fingertips when his left foot touched the baseline!

he had the ball in his hand,regardless, it was a turnover!
I was still making my point!

a travel isn't reviewable tho. So imo I believe ref had to call it OOB. Yes if foot touched down again after being airborne that is a travel. Not disputing that. But if u touch OOB first I believe the OOB supercedes a travel and technically comes first. The OOB or potential is what makes it reviewable. If the ball was out of his hands b4 he touched it's not a travel nor OOB.

we all saw the same replay. It was inconclusive imo, so staying with call on floor was correct. But it was very close, I think it's better to let the play finish then whistling dead. We hear that all the time in NFL nowadays which is right. Then go back and change it if obvious on replay. So we benefitted but that's our W move to 2-0.

but why were u guys expecting a good crowd? I mentioned earlier today the crowd wasn't going to be much. its a relatively small arena but loyola never been known for crowds. catholic school in Chicago, not happening. North Chicago so not a bad area but Tues night Richmond isn't going to pop either. I wasn't excited about their A10 entry. They r ok, but felt one trick pony (couple good bball years) & would revert back and not add much else.
I know absolutely nothing about that school except that it is in Chicago, it has had several years of very positive press and they got an A10 invite out of it all. From the A10 invite, I would have thought they had more of a following for the A10 to offer. The gym just looks tiny and there was no one there. The entire 2nd bowl - which was only like 10 rows up - was completely bare and the lower level was sparse on tv. Tuesday/Richmond - again, I'd hope they would have more of a season ticket crowd and base than what was on display. If it was a snowstorm, then that's of course. a factor, but UR and its tiny student body turns out 4x that crowd for even the most lethargic games.

Note: I just looked it up and they have 16,500 students?!?! Hopefully that place is full when they're in session. I'm even more confused by the size of the gym now.

I know absolutely nothing about that school except that it is in Chicago, it has had several years of very positive press and they got an A10 invite out of it all. From the A10 invite, I would have thought they had more of a following for the A10 to offer. The gym just looks tiny and there was no one there. The entire 2nd bowl - which was only like 10 rows up - was completely bare and the lower level was sparse on tv. Tuesday/Richmond - again, I'd hope they would have more of a season ticket crowd and base than what was on display. If it was a snowstorm, then that's of course. a factor, but UR and its tiny student body turns out 4x that crowd for even the most lethargic games.

Note: I just looked it up and they have 16,500 students?!?! Hopefully that place is full when they're in session. I'm even more confused by the size of the gym now.

First problem is giving credibility to A10.

Loyola is a commuter school. They had great run w notoriety 2018-22 w 3 ncaas. They had been to 1 ncaa in the 50 years prior. They were horizon league school for most of it. Never understood them to have a rabid fan base. Maybe things were better during MVC days idk. But doubt they ever sold out arena w much regularity.

Possible that they called OOB and that because of that, they were able to review it.

and just to be clear. They were reviewing whether LUC released the ball prior to stepping OOB. I think the landing OOB was pretty clear & obvious. What wasn't clear was whether he passed ball b4 that occurs - which is still considered an OOB play & review. If ball is released its neither OOB (first) nor a travel. But they whistled it dead stopping the live action play by LUC. If LUC player had released it prior to OOB they got screwed there. With only 1 replay u couldn't tell on release. U could tell he was OOB but that wasn't the primary basis of review. Had the replay somehow found he landed inbounds and he had ball still in hands, then they missed a travel call. But that was never in doubt, the release was the doubt. I actually think the announcers were spot on.

and just to be clear. They were reviewing whether LUC released the ball prior to stepping OOB. I think the landing OOB was pretty clear & obvious. What wasn't clear was whether he passed ball b4 that occurs - which is still considered an OOB play & review. If ball is released its neither OOB (first) nor a travel. But they whistled it dead stopping the live action play by LUC. If LUC player had released it prior to OOB they got screwed there. With only 1 replay u couldn't tell on release. U could tell he was OOB but that wasn't the primary basis of review. Had the replay somehow found he landed inbounds and he had ball still in hands, then they missed a travel call. But that was never in doubt, the release was the doubt. I actually think the announcers were spot on.
I think we're saying the same thing but I'm not positive, lol. The announcers seemed to be focused only on whether he was inbounds or out of bounds, completely ignoring the fact that it didn't matter either way. When we finally got the ball, they said it was because he was determined to be out of bounds before he released the ball. But obviously if he landed with the ball out of bounds, then he traveled...and if he landed inbounds with the ball, then he traveled. Either way, our ball.

Even if you can't review a travel and the refs thought they were reviewing whether he stepped out of bounds or not, once they determined during review that he landed while still possessing the ball, they weren't going to change their original out of bounds call (even though technically it was wrong in the sense that they should have first called a travel).

We got the win, which I'm grateful for and excited about of course.

But the end game strategy has been an issue for many years now and showed up again last night. When we were up about 4 with a minute left I was telling me wife I'd almost rather it be a tie game or us down by 1 because I could see us sliding into those patterns of playing tight, frazzled, etc.

In the end though the W is what matters, we made enough plays to have that lead at the end and get the road monkey off our backs for now at least. Congrats again to the guys for keeping the ship headed the right direction.

I'm pretty shocked by the crowd. They made a F4, tons of national publicity, play in a major city...why are they not drawing better crowds? It's no wonder they have the student assistants posing as baseline fans.
was there last night. Students not on campus and the weather was crappy.

I have been to multiple games there. When the students are in, the place is electric. It's insanely loud.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I have been to multiple games there. When the students are in, the place is electric. It's insanely loud.
I'm sure - I guess based on the comments that it didn't seem so on TV, but it was actually quite loud in the arena at times last night .. I actually really liked the atmosphere and all seats have great views it seems. Was a bit similar but slightly smaller than arena at College of Charleston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT