ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Mooney Billboard

The fact that other A-10 and in state rival schools joke that we should #keepmooney is honestly very telling. Those folks aren’t emotionally invested in the UR program like all of us on this board but they want Mooney to remain. Wonder why.

Exactly. They have been running this airtight, disingenuous PR program for a couple of years now, which consists of nothing more than avoiding/ignoring the fan base unless absolutely necessary.

Their haughty attitude comes across as, "we're U of R, we have $2.3B endowment and we damn sure don't answer to anyone." Then they have to work 5x as hard to grow their fanbase while Howdy Doody mouths off to the existing fanbase.

Uva athletics is my other joy. Listened to Cavalier Corner radio show with Tony Bennett on Mon night. In front of a live audience at Boars Head, Bennett took question after question from the audience. Unscripted. Took more than 10 questions, and answered each one head on. No talking points. NO EXCUSES. Every answer sounded genuine. Yes, Uva is a top 5 team and winning, but Tony faced some difficult questions from the audience. "On this play why did you do XYZ?" "Why didn't Player A get more minutes?" etc etc.

So don't let Bob tell you Sportsline with Ivan is a promo show.

How could you be the first program to lose to a 16 seed? Now that would be a tough question. Not the ones you mention.

The fact that other A-10 and in state rival schools joke that we should #keepmooney is honestly very telling. Those folks aren’t emotionally invested in the UR program like all of us on this board but they want Mooney to remain. Wonder why.
Our rivals want us to continue to lose!

Seems to me that the Wake Forest alumni and fans erected a billboard a few years back seeking to fire Jeff Bdzellic. I believe it had the desired effect, and although Danny Manning has not exactly covered himself in glory, at least WF felt additional pressure to buy Bdelilic out of his contract and move on with life. It also has not seemed to have had a negative impact on Wake's sterling reputation as an institution.

Like I said before, sometimes you have to break some eggs to make omelettes.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Coach Mooney does his best for the program and the players. If he is not good enough then the athletic director will let him go. Fans do not run a program. You either support it or you do not. A Fire Mooney billboard is not a good look and it is a cowardly act.

But a Spider fan IS running the operation. His name is Paul Queally.

I think that the billboard is pretty classless. I cannot imagine how badly the players feel about this. I have talked to some of the players and they genuinely like Coach Mooney so this will not sit well. Let Mr. Hardt do his job.

Hes too busy stuffing his face at the Tavern and looking uncomfortable in public. He'll cave to Queally, and you know what a lot of fans will do? Stop buying tickets.

I'm not crazy about the idea of a billboard. I generally don't think it's a great look for the University. Just not something I'd probably be a part in helping happen.

But, I do think it can be effective in accomplishing the stated goal. Obviously it has already generated a lot of interest and discussion amongst our group here and I would be shocked if people aren't talking about it in higher places as well.

Hard to believe for some but yeah, people have different opinions.

Sounds like you are the one having a hard time believing that right now.

Look, I know it's a touchy subject and talking about someone losing their job is a serious thing. But a high profile position like this comes with big expectations, and a growing number of our fans think Mooney is not meeting those expectations. So things like this may start to happen until something changes.

Seems to me that the Wake Forest alumni and fans erected a billboard a few years back seeking to fire Jeff Bdzellic. I believe it had the desired effect, and although Danny Manning has not exactly covered himself in glory, at least WF felt additional pressure to buy Bdelilic out of his contract and move on with life. It also has not seemed to have had a negative impact on Wake's sterling reputation as an institution.

Like I said before, sometimes you have to break some eggs to make omelettes.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing
+1
Several observations

last time I checked "free speech" was a Constitutional right

The UR is selling a product (it charges for tickets)
so the customer has a right to feedback on the evaluation of the purchase.

The Admin has the power to correct the problem but so far has declined.

The UR boasts that it is a place for civil debate and the presentation of differing opinions on issues.
This seems civil to me

I would bet that the success of UR athletics has virtually no effect on a prospective students decision to attend the UR as evidenced by recent team performances

Last edited:
Since it is electronic, does anyone know if the billboard appears in multiple locations?

Be careful what you wish for, and just hope the next person can do a better job.
This is an absolutely PERFECT summary of why Mooney is still on board, AND why the program is in the dumpster.

You hit the admin thought process nail directly on the head.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23
Very disappointed in this sign. It is not productive at all and not the right way to go about things. It's one thing to respectfully voice your opinion on a forum focused on Spider sports and another to go out and pay for a billboard on I-95. Regardless of one's thoughts of him as a coach, Mooney is a great person, works very hard, is well respected, and doesn't deserve this. I don't know if the sign is paid by day, week, etc. but I hope it gets taken down soon.

On a positive note, I listened to an interview from Keith Oddo and he is an incredibly well spoken person and leader of this team. I am very proud of our team's resilience and their motivation. They make me very proud to be a Spider.

+1
Several observations

last time I checked "free speech" was a Constitutional right

The UR is selling a product (it charges for tickets)
so the customer has a right to feedback on evaluation of the purchase.

The Admin has the power to correct the problem but so far has declined.

The UR boasts that it is place for civil debate and the presentation of differing opinions on issues.
This seems civil to me

I would bet that the success of UR athletics has virtually no effect on a prospective students decision to attend the UR as evidenced by recent team performances
This seems civil to me? Anonymously putting a bullyboard up is civil?
When you debate something, you're there to defend your thoughts. This is borderline cowardly.

I'm not crazy about the idea of a billboard. I generally don't think it's a great look for the University. Just not something I'd probably be a part in helping happen.

But, I do think it can be effective in accomplishing the stated goal. Obviously it has already generated a lot of interest and discussion amongst our group here and I would be shocked if people aren't talking about it in higher places as well.

Sounds like you are the one having a hard time believing that right now.

Look, I know it's a touchy subject and talking about someone losing their job is a serious thing. But a high profile position like this comes with big expectations, and a growing number of our fans think Mooney is not meeting those expectations. So things like this may start to happen until something changes.
I do not have a hard time with Mooney being let go. I am in the camp that it is time for change but I also understand people that want to give him another year. I think the billboard was a poor decision that reflects badly on the fanbase. Athletes and parents build relationships with the coaches and pulling a stunt like this is bad form. It is done so let's see what happens. It seems to be backfiring though.

I am, and have been for a few seasons, in favor of firing CM. However, I do not agree with the billboard. Tacky. Poor form. Casts the entire UR community in a less than favorable light.

If the goal is to be rid of Mooney, this antic is more likely to harm meeting that goal than contributing to its realization. It will engender "Mooney sympathy" from many and it will encourage the Administration to stand firm so as to avoid the appearance of being bullied.

I see no good coming from this.

How so? Not saying you're right or wrong just wondering what you mean by this.
Well, on the way home local radio was bashing the decision. Noah talked to the players who he says, were livid. Hardt and Mooney have to feel embarrassed. I guess this must have been the point of it but it might just get them to dig their feet in deeper.

This seems civil to me? Anonymously putting a bullyboard up is civil?
When you debate something, you're there to defend your thoughts. This is borderline cowardly.
civil-not rude;marked by satisfactory(or especially minimal)adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others;"even if he didn't like them he should have been civil"-W.S.

The billboard is critical of the leadership of the the UR BB program- I don't see a problem. I think it satifies the definition above.

It identifies its sponsors as alumni and fans(hardly anonymous) You can identify possible sponsors by looking at this board. Speaking of cowardly do you think Mooney would appear in an open forum and answer questions from fans that were unfiltered. He has demonstrated that he his thin skinned by his responses to John Oconnor. I am sure the sponsors of the billboard would line up to question the coach.

Let us know when you get the forum arranged.

Last edited:
civil-not rude;marked by satisfactory(or especially minimal)adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others;"even if he didn't like them he should have been civil"-W.S.

The billboard is a critical of the leadership of the the UR BB program- I don't see a problem. I think it satifies the definition above.

It identifies its sponsors as alumni and fans(hardly anonymous) You can identify possible sponsors by looking at this board. Speaking of cowardly do you think Mooney would appear in an open forum and answer questions from fans that were unfiltered. He has demonstrated that he his thin skinned by his responses to John Oconnor. I am sure the sponsors of the billboard would line to question the coach.

Let us know when you get the forum arranged.
LOL...Thanks! You made my point.This was entirely rude.

I don't think the billboard is going to cause Hardt to fire Mooney, unfortunately. But it does say something that most of us here have felt for awhile, so I have no real problem with it going up.

More importantly, what are people’s sense of whether or not the billboard will be acknowledged publicly by UR. Do we get a message of support from the AD? Is it just a side mention by Bob Black during a broadcast? Or is it completely ignored?

I’m betting on the latter.

I find it funny that people are complaining about being ignored and don't even sign their name to their complaint, somehow thinking anonymously throwing flames on a fire is going to accomplish anything of significance other than divide the fan base even further. At least put your name on it so the people you want to make a change can connect the dots regarding your dissatisfaction. If you can afford to throw money at a sign chances people will know who you are.

On a positive note, I listened to an interview from Keith Oddo and he is an incredibly well spoken person and leader of this team. I am very proud of our team's resilience and their motivation. They make me very proud to be a Spider.

Well, if we're really in the gym 24/7, that could explain our performance late in games.

Keith does seem to be a good senior for this group, but Noah was leading this interview to fit a narrative, literally filling in the blanks for him at points.

We are surely not the first institution to have such a billboard. As many have stated, when inaction and indifference by the administration and alumni and fan frustration reaches a boiling point, concerned people will take things into their own hands. Clearly emails, letters, boycotts, and other communication channels appear to have not had any effect. Billboards like the one in question have proven to be effective in the past, and have not seemed to have any long term negative effect on the respective schools or the programs.

I don't see where this has any sort of long-term negative PR on the University. If anything, it brings some attention to the elephant in the room which until now, has been largely swept under the rug by the athletic department and the Athletic Director.

Ironically, this is probably the first time our program has received any national attention since 2011.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Individuals associated with this billboard should be banned from campus and all sporting events! This type of anger has no place in Spider Athletics. It serves no good purpose! It influences no one! Hopefully the angry people will leave the UR fold for good!!

Sounds like when someone with a “Fire Cooper” sign was removed from a game years ago. Always a good look to strong arm folks just because they aren’t in agreement with your point of view.

Argue the billboard all you want. Personally, I don’t care one way or the other. However, you can’t argue that this program is down and doesn’t seem to be improving. How many years should we be expected to wait until next year? The bottom line is the program has been underachieving for 8 years, since the goal is to get to the NCAA tournament. Of course people are mad and they should be. Some react with a billboard, some don’t go to games, and some are just disinterested in the program at this point. I think it’s fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that we need a change. Let’s not get too distracted with this billboard. The goal is to get the program back to the top of the A10 and NCAA tournament. Most feel the best way to do this is to get a new coach.

Individuals associated with this billboard should be banned from campus and all sporting events! This type of anger has no place in Spider Athletics. It serves no good purpose! It influences no one! Hopefully the angry people will leave the UR fold for good!!

Ban away, but the facts remain, and they will continue to be stubborn.

The billboard is unseemly and unfortunate, but my hat's off to whoever had the balls to force the issue so publicly. Sad that it's come to this, but from my perspective, whoever pulled this off cares way more about Spider basketball than those arguing for tact and decorum.

Well, looks like the billboard got the reaction they were probably going for - got everyone’s knickers in a knot.

Renting electronic billboard space costs around $2500-8000 a month which is how long FMM states they’re running this. These guys aren’t breaking the bank to do it and the suggestion that they need to put their name on it otherwise be labeled coward seems a bit overwrought.

I agree with GKiller that I think this has a net negative effect. I posited the same theory with regard to the in game FM chant suggested in January. Public shaming typically engenders sympathy if not outright defense. Hardt seems like a guy who will dig in his heels if only to not seem to be bullied.

So I wouldn’t have gone this route myself but I totally get why someone would.

If this escalates, I’ll be setting up a billboard rental e-commerce hub if anyone wants in on that action.

But a Spider fan IS running the operation. His name is Paul Queally.
Bingo!!! Follow the money trail. Anybody else notice the correlation of a lacrosse program gaining national attention while all other sports head downhill? Coincidence, I doubt it!

Renting electronic billboard space costs around $2500-8000 a month which is how long FMM states they’re running this. These guys aren’t breaking the bank to do it and the suggestion that they need to put their name on it otherwise be labeled coward seems a bit overwrought.

I agree with GKiller that I think this has a net negative effect. I posited the same theory with regard to the in game FM chant suggested in January. Public shaming typically engenders sympathy if not outright defense. Hardt seems like a guy who will dig in his heels if only to not seem to be bullied.

If this escalates, I’ll be setting up a billboard rental e-commerce hub if anyone wants in on that action.
FMM states? So this wasn’t done by EC Robins, Jr. on his old building?

...yes, that wasn’t serious...

I was a little disappointed that they didn't rent a blimp to fly over the city for a month with a scrolling message. That probably would have had a better effect.

Sounds like when someone with a “Fire Cooper” sign was removed from a game years ago. Always a good look to strong arm folks just because they aren’t in agreement with your point of view.

Agreed Captain. And Cooper called his constituency Mush and he got to retire with presidential honors. I bet he also has full use of UR facilities and resources when he wants to! Look I would not have recommended the billboard. But if people think the billboard was over the top, the Enemy of the People banning talk is too. PS no politics please, it was for lack of a better term.

Last edited:
Girls,

Neither the BOT nor ticket holders drive that route for anything.Wrong audience.Waste of money.Do a documentary and drop some TV/radio ads.Spend some real money.Nice attempt at nothing.LOL.
Don’t know about that. I imagine everyone that matters knows about this sign. I bet this little shot across the bow was noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT