ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan Richardson - 2025 Commit

Nice, I mentioned him in the general tracker thread a couple times over the past year as someone we appeared to be keeping an eye on. Was in for an unofficial visit about six weeks ago. Mississippi State and Charleston offers among a few others so far.

Nice, I mentioned him in the general tracker thread a couple times over the past year as someone we appeared to be keeping an eye on. Was in for an unofficial visit about six weeks ago. Mississippi State and Charleston offers among a few others so far.
hopefully he wants to stay close to home to play and learn.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Murray State offer...believe it's his first since ours last November.

In the Mooney era, we've had some wings in that range...Butler, Verbinskis, Crabtree, but I don't think anybody you'd consider a PG or CG.

Welcome to Spider Nation! Richardson attends Steward School here in Richmond. Other notable offers include Charleston, Murray State, and Mississippi State. Took unofficial visits to UVA and VT Tech. Appears that he reclassified to the class of 2025. No profile on 247 that I could find, but rated #166 in the class on prep hoops website. Biggest thing is he plays point guard but is 6’6”! I don’t think we’ve ever had a PG that tall. Will be interesting to see what role he will have here.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
Welcome to Spider Nation! Richardson attends Collegiate here in Richmond. Other notable offers include Charleston, Murray State, and Mississippi State. Took unofficial visits to UVA and VT Tech. Appears that he reclassified to the class of 2025. No profile on 247 that I could find, but rated #166 in the class on prep hoops website. Biggest thing is he plays point guard but is 6’6”! I don’t think we’ve ever had a PG that tall. Will be interesting to see what role he will have here.

How come everything I’ve read says he goes to Stewart, and not Collegiate?

In the Mooney era, we've had some wings in that range...Butler, Verbinskis, Crabtree, but I don't think anybody you'd consider a PG or CG.
Ryan Butler ran the point for the second year of the Mooney era until KA got here. Granted, it was more out of necessity (Courtney Nelson left when Mooney came in), but he did run the point initially…

Like this Richardson pickup. Good feeling.

One of Moon’s earliest recruits was Brian Morris a 6’6 pg. he really ran the point the 2nd year of Mooney era not Butler tho Butler had more ball handling responsibilities pre KA.

Reactions: urfan1
Those were the days...don't forget 6'7" forward Oumar Sylla running point in Moon's first year. We only had 7 active scholarship players, with 6'6" Monty Sanders being the shortest.

Like this Richardson pickup. Good feeling.

One of Moon’s earliest recruits was Brian Morris a 6’6 pg. he really ran the point the 2nd year of Mooney era not Butler tho Butler had more ball handling responsibilities pre KA.
Did not Morris transfer to Townsend?

JOC tracked down Donovan and his coach to get some quotes...

“It just felt like the right spot for me,” he said. “I love coach (Chris) Mooney and his staff. They’re very high-character individuals, and I feel like my game meshes perfectly with their system.

“Coach Mooney loves versatile guys, and I pride myself on my versatility.”

Richardson, who averaged 13.5 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists as a Steward junior, said he chose Richmond over Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Siena, Murray State, North Carolina A&T, American and others.

“He has great size. His handle is elite, and I like the way he imposes his will when he’s attacking the basket,” said T.J. Grimes, the Steward coach. “He’s a leader. He’s the type of kid you want to be around.”

Richardson often last season functioned as Steward’s primary ball-handler, which Grimes advocated because of the confidence demonstrated by Richardson, who played two varsity seasons at Collegiate prior to Steward.

Grimes said he believes Richardson has the ability to play either backcourt position, and “I think he’ll be able to step in and play right away (at UR), from what I see.”

Nice pick up, like the sounds of his game. Impressive that he had offers from Princeton, Harvard and Yale. In addition to the obvious impressive academics all three have been very good hoops destinations recently. We have often been in the dreaded sandwich spot between the ivies and p6 schools with little result but no p6 schools this time.

I like that he is local and obviously academics won't be an issue. I don't like that we were by his best basketball offer.

I'd give all of our portal pick-ups B+ to A grades, both of our high school recruits, my grade would probably be a C. Players who are players in high school are sought after by other big name basketball schools, at least schools who compete at our level.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
I like that he is local and obviously academics won't be an issue. I don't like that we were by his best basketball offer.

I'd give all of our portal pick-ups B+ to A grades, both of our high school recruits, my grade would probably be a C. Players who are players in high school are sought after by other big name basketball schools, at least schools who compete at our level.
Each season that passes makes me realize how much of a crapshoot high school recruiting is. Guys like Trevor Smith, Isaiah Wilson, Sal Koureissi all had long offer sheets but didn’t pan out for us. Meanwhile guys like Tyne, Cayo, Golden didn’t have many offers, but had success for us. Definitely an art and not a science

Each season that passes makes me realize how much of a crapshoot high school recruiting is. Guys like Trevor Smith, Isaiah Wilson, Sal Koureissi all had long offer sheets but didn’t pan out for us. Meanwhile guys like Tyne, Cayo, Golden didn’t have many offers, but had success for us. Definitely an art and not a science
Good point. All things being equal though, you would much rather be signing kids that other similar programs to ours covet than kids who are not coveted by similar programs.

And it probably seems like more a crapshoot to Spider fans because Mooney has proven to be a below average shot in high school recruiting.

Perhaps we signed these guys early to give ourselves some flexibility, like maybe we bundle them in a 2-for-1 trade to some SoCon school for a first-team all-conference guy as part of an NIL deal before he can enter the portal? Seems logical these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT