ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's sophmores

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
It looks like Nelson is currently in the starting lineup, but how about the other 3? Historically guys that redshirted typically never became big contributors to the team, however last year was different, due to the increase size of the team due to Covid. Many of us are under estimating the quality of this recruiting class and I would not be surprised if at least one more from this class started at some point during their Richmond career. Some of you might not have read their impressive bios in a long time. I have included them below and would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

AIDAN NOYES 6-7 190

HIGH SCHOOL

• Attended Archbishop Moeller, the same high school as current Richmond football coach Russ Huesman as well as Baseball Hall of Famers Ken Griffey Jr. and Barry Larkin
• Second Team Greater Catholic League South selection in 2021
• Averaged 12 points and 4.5 rebounds as a senior while shooting 47 percent from three-point range and 55 percent from the field
• Led team to 20-5 record and appearance in Division I state quarterfinals in 2021
• Key reserve as junior in 2020, when Moeller finished 26-1 and reached state quarterfinals before season was canceled due to COVID-19
• Received more than 15 Division I scholarship offers, including UR’s A-10 rival VCU
• No. 5 recruit in Ohio, No. 186 recruit nationally in Class of 2021 by 247Sports.com

MARCUS RANDOLPH 6-5 195

HIGH SCHOOL

• Two-time All-State selection, two-time All-Catholic League selection at Archbishop Wood High School
• 2021 Courier Times Player of the Year … Averaged 16.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per game
• Led Archbishop Wood to a 19-1 record, Philadelphia Catholic League title, and runner-up finish in Class 6A state tournament in 2021 … Archbishop Wood was ranked among top 10 teams in the nation by various organizations during the 2020-21 season
• 1 of four D-I basketball players in his class at Archbishop Wood
• Received more than a dozen D-I offers, including UR’s A-10 rival La Salle

MALCOLM DREAD 6-4 210

HIGH SCHOOL

• Helped Gonzaga College High School to DCSAA Class AA Boys Basketball title as a junior in 2020
• No. 2 recruit in Washington, D.C.’s Class of 2021 by 247Sports.com

agreed it's a very good class, though blocked pretty well by a talented roster ahead of them.
Noyes is particularly exciting. with his hops and shooting, he just needs to be strong enough. could be a monster.
Randolph looks like a player. impressive assist stats. has a good handle and showed quickness.
Dread is a guy we just don't know anything about. no idea what we have there.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
I expect at least one of them to transfer after this season, because that's what happens these days, and there is not a ton of PT available in the next couple years. Will be interesting to see which one or ones of then get some game time this year.

I expect at least one of them to transfer after this season, because that's what happens these days, and there is not a ton of PT available in the next couple years. Will be interesting to see which one or ones of then get some game time this year.
it'll be tough to get time this season for sure, other than Jason.
but next year will open up a bit with Goose, Grace, and most likely Burton leaving ... maybe Crabtree too, as he's already a grad student.

Problem is that all three generally will be competing with Dji, Roche and to some extent Bigelow for PT. Whoever plays the least of Noyes, Dread and Randolph this year might see the writing on the wall, but time will tell. They all seemed like pretty good recruits and I'm interested to see them on the court.

They might not be competing that much with Dji next year because he's a PG. If Crabtree leaves, that only leaves Roche and Bigelow, and with 120 minutes available for our non PG and non big, there should be enough minutes for all of them, even if Dji gets some time at non PG. I could see Noyes, Randolph, and Dread all getting time and being part of the rotation next year, especially early in the year before one or two of them maybe separates themselves a little.

Reactions: gcarter52
Injuries, graduates leaving the program.....could be enough minutes to go around. And if the team is winning in late March/early April.....might be worth being a key reserve anyway.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT