ADVERTISEMENT

Delonnie Hunt joins the Spiders

Do we think he'll be starting next to Jordan King? We did pretty well with an even smaller backcourt of Francis and Gilyard.

He was Wagner's top player in terms of minutes and points. Here he will be a complimentary piece, so his points could go down but his percentages up since defenses aren't going to be as focused on him as they were at Wagner.

We could have a fast, pesky backcourt next year.

the only thing giving me a little cause for concern is the NEC ranked 32nd out of 32 conferences as far as average NET of it's members last season. He is going to see an enormous jump in opposing talent in even a one-bid A10.
On the positive side, I believe he is 1-0 while playing against VCU...

3 assists 1 TO in 31 minutes, but not much scoring.

Interesting that we brought in two seasoned point guards - wonder which one will play as the "two" - with their experience, both of these guys are like starting.

Interesting that we brought in two seasoned point guards - wonder which one will play as the "two" - with their experience, both of these guys are like starting.
You think they will? Jordan is def a lock.

the only thing giving me a little cause for concern is the NEC ranked 32nd out of 32 conferences as far as average NET of it's members last season. He is going to see an enormous jump in opposing talent in even a one-bid A10.
Well, not that enormous.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I think we have 4 proven guards. Not counting Smith bc he hasn’t played yet. Jordan Dji Hunt and Roche & Roche can play 3 some as can Dji. Any of these scenarios I think there are minutes there for the guards. Does coach do as he’s done in past with loyalty to Srs. who has showed their loyalty play them more or mins are distributed evenly or strategically depended on matchups. My gut says the first bc that’s all I’ve seen since we’ve been 🕷️ Good convos to have over the summer amongst the board. 🕷️🏀
Let’s say TB is gone…
Jordan
Hunt
Dji
Bigs
Neal

Subs

Roche
Aidan
Mike
Colin
Smith

OR TB is back
Jordan
Dji
TB
Bigs
Neal

Hunt
Roche
Aidan
Mike
Colin
Smith

that would certainly work. still adds shooting, and a little more size.
you've got me a little concerned though.
Obi Wan Mind GIF by Star Wars

Nothing to be concerned about

I think we have 4 proven guards. Not counting Smith bc he hasn’t played yet. Jordan Dji Hunt and Roche & Roche can play 3 some as can Dji. Any of these scenarios I think there are minutes there for the guards. Does coach do as he’s done in past with loyalty to Srs. who has showed their loyalty play them more or mins are distributed evenly or strategically depended on matchups. My gut says the first bc that’s all I’ve seen since we’ve been 🕷️ Good convos to have over the summer amongst the board. 🕷️🏀
Let’s say TB is gone…
Jordan
Hunt
Dji
Bigs
Neal

Subs

Roche
Aidan
Mike
Colin
Smith

OR TB is back
Jordan
Dji
TB
Bigs
Neal

Hunt
Roche
Aidan
Mike
Colin
Smith
I disagree about loyalty to seniors. In 2021, we started seniors Jacob, Blake, Nate, and Grant. I think talent obviously dictated this, and I don't think this had anything to do with loyalty.

And, the very next year, Nick, as a senior, started the first 2 games, but was replaced as a starter in game 3 by an underclassmen, and never started again. You can say what about Goose and Grace last year, but it's not like we had obvious options instead. I wanted more Roche, but always appreciated what Goose and Grace brought.

In your above lineup, without Tyler, you have Hunt (28.7% from 3 last yearl, Dji (6 made 3s last year), Bigs (26.5% from 3 last year),and, Neal ( 2 made 3s last year). I know you don't think the 3 point shot is important, but allow me to disagree and say, Yikes!!!!!! to this lineup. I just can't make any sense of starting Dji over Roche in this scenario. And, with Tyler, I can't see why Dji should start over Roche or Hunt, but no worries, we can just disagree.

Trust me I understand the importance of defense and I like what Dji brings defensively, but I am just more offensive focused when it comes to this, that's all. And, I would love it if Dji can break out this year and show more offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
I'm taking this as Noyes has been looking good in the off season runs and work outs. Hopefully they both make a lot of threes next year. Add King. And let's see Bigs get back in the 30+ % range and maybe we can be pretty good offensively.
But, SDad did not have Noyes starting with or without Tyler, so I have no idea what he meant. Very confusing post because his starting 5 without Tyler was:

Jordan
Hunt
Dji
Bigs
Neal

But, then Sman said his 5 was:

Jordan
Dji
Roche
Bigs
Neal

So, the only difference was Hunt for SDad and Roche for Sman, but SDad then said he would only change Noyes for Roche from Sman's lineup, and he had a reason for this. So, what could have changed in the 8 minutes between their posts to make him say Noyes for Roche instead of Hunt for Roche, especially adding he had a reason? Maybe SDad can clarify?

I think that Noyes brings much more potential to a projected starting lineup. Much more good could happen. HOWEVER, he will be dealing with the rookie, no experience problem. Since he has to gain his sea legs this year, there will likely be times that he struggles. I hope I am wrong, but, I see Mooney yo-yoing him. Play 2-minutes, get yanked out, play 2-minutes, you missed an assignment, take a seat. If this pattern emerges for Noyes, his production for the year will look a lot like Roches' production (or less) from last season.

However, I continue to believe that Noyes could be a real difference maker for this team if he gets the chance. Just as we saw with his multiple 3's & his flying rebound dunk in only a few floor minutes last year, this is the guy who COULD light the match and help the team to the next level.

Mismanagement (2-minutes at a time & yanked) will sadly muffle or nearly extinguish the spark. Unfortunately, I do not expect Mooney to start Noyes, because Mooney's risk tolerance is very low. I do think that Noyes inclusion in the starting five would be a bold move (smart risk) that would eventually pay huge dividends.

I think that Noyes brings much more potential to a projected starting lineup. Much more good could happen. HOWEVER, he will be dealing with the rookie, no experience problem. Since he has to gain his sea legs this year, there will likely be times that he struggles. I hope I am wrong, but, I see Mooney yo-yoing him. Play 2-minutes, get yanked out, play 2-minutes, you missed an assignment, take a seat. If this pattern emerges for Noyes, his production for the year will look a lot like Roches' production (or less) from last season.

However, I continue to believe that Noyes could be a real difference maker for this team if he gets the chance. Just as we saw with his multiple 3's & his flying rebound dunk in only a few floor minutes last year, this is the guy who COULD light the match and help the team to the next level.

Mismanagement (2-minutes at a time & yanked) will sadly muffle or nearly extinguish the spark. Unfortunately, I do not expect Mooney to start Noyes, because Mooney's risk tolerance is very low. I do think that Noyes inclusion in the starting five would be a bold move (smart risk) that would eventually pay huge dividends.
I agree for the most part. I too think he can be a difference maker. I'm not going to elaborate but there isn't anything to worry about(my earlier comment). I think from a player standpoint Aidan is an all around better player and I'm not discounting Roche. Jmo we are going to need his scrappiness and his 3 ball. Homer, I hope it isn't like you surmise...play 2 get yanked, that doesn't help players at all. We been there, done that...got the tshirt. We can really start speculating once TB makes his decision. I hope it's soon bc I think it has hurt us a little in terms of transfers, but at the same time TB has earned that right too.

Almost all of our transfers are "transfer up" - and with that, I think you run the risk of longer adjustment periods and the fact they can't maintain the numbers from their old school to here.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I like this pick-up. Hunt has a proven track record in college.

I'm a little concerned about his 3 ball percentage being low because that is such a big part of our offense and also don't like that we signed two smallish guards again, as that will create some issues on defense against bigger guards.

That said, we had 3 open scholarships and Hunt certainly checks a big box of need as we needed another guard who can come and immediately compete for significant minutes. This should make our guard room, super competitive.

Unfortunately, I do not expect Mooney to start Noyes, because Mooney's risk tolerance is very low.
Mooney didn't appear to make any effort to add a transfer PG last year. he handed the keys to a redshirt freshman PG who hadn't played in a while. there's nothing riskier than that. and he played plenty despite some mistakes. so not sure I buy the "low risk tolerence" angle.

if Tyler doesn't come back, it's possible Noyes or even Tanner could win that starting spot.

Last edited:
Agree Sman, may very well see Noyes in the starting forward spot along with Bigs - IF Tyler is not back.
I remember last off season, I had Noyes in my starting 5, but that might have been before the transfer additions. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I would think Noyes should be more than ready to get some good playing time.

Last edited:
Mooney didn't appear to make any effort to add a transfer PG last year. he handed the keys to a redshirt freshman PG who hadn't played in a while. there's nothing riskier than that. and he played plenty despite some mistakes. so not sure I buy the "low risk tolerence" angle.

if Tyler doesn't come back, it's possible Noyes or even Tanner could win that starting spot.
Well, would you buy the "incompetence" angle than because clearly leaving the keys to a redshirt freshman was a terrible mistake and one that he should have had a contingency built in if it didn't work, but he didn't.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Well, would you buy the "incompetence" angle than because clearly leaving the keys to a redshirt freshman was a terrible mistake and one that he should have had a contingency built in if it didn't work, but he didn't.
it didn't work out perfectly, but tough to argue with the 3 transfers he landed. all fit our needs.
there's no doubt Nelson has talent. we've started freshmen before with success. believing he was next in line wasn't a stretch. and Dji also has talent as a PG, though I think he'll do more as a non-PG with PG skills.

I like this pick-up. Hunt has a proven track record in college.

I'm a little concerned about his 3 ball percentage being low because that is such a big part of our offense and also don't like that we signed two smallish guards again, as that will create some issues on defense against bigger guards.

That said, we had 3 open scholarships and Hunt certainly checks a big box of need as we needed another guard who can come and immediately compete for significant minutes. This should make our guard room, super competitive.
I like the way he attack the basket with no fear, 3pt shooting and he plays defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT