ADVERTISEMENT

Delonnie Hunt joins the Spiders

I think overseas trips are still a good idea, but not as necessary as they once were. Before - teams would use these as a way to kickstart their season and get extra practices in as the rules allowed. This was during the time in the offseason when you could only do small group workouts in the offseason. Now with the rule changes - teams can practice in full, for limited time during the off-season. So this reduces the need for the trips - but I still think there is value in playing competition you have never met before, travelling far away and bonding on a 10 day trip, and getting those extra reps in place.

Aside from overseas trip - anyone heard any rumors on possible closed scrimmage opponents? Those seem to be something UR does every year.

agreed it's not necessary. but it's a great experience. and it's a nice thing to do for these kids who get like 3 days off at Christmas. many of these kids have never left the country. they get to do things off the court on these trips. it's not all basketball.

the NCAA lets you go every 4 years so most kids can get that experience. Covid threw the schedule off. think we haven't gone since 2016 (?). we should have gone this year.

agreed it's not necessary. but it's a great experience. and it's a nice thing to do for these kids who get like 3 days off at Christmas. many of these kids have never left the country. they get to do things off the court on these trips. it's not all basketball.

the NCAA lets you go every 4 years so most kids can get that experience. Covid threw the schedule off. think we haven't gone since 2016 (?). we should have gone this year.
I agree - something our school CAN do from a money perspective, and SHOULD do. And if you want to sell it from a student first, athlete second perspective - go ahead and say its to give them experience in a foreign county, send them on a history tour while over there, etc.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT