ADVERTISEMENT

Delonnie Hunt joins the Spiders

Come on, we are only barely surviving as it is with just 29 or 30 people in the athletic department administration, now you want to hire ANOTHER person just to update the website?? You'll get your update by Nov. 1 and not a day sooner – and you will LIKE IT!
But..Judge Smails,

I want a roster update, or roster addition, or an interview, or an overseas trip...

200.webp

King is our starting PG.
probably backed up by Hunt, who may or may not start at the 2.
and not safe to assume Roche is a starter at any spot yet.
King def…Roche prob not ready so I wouldn’t put him in the starting lineup.

Side note - but somewhat related. Who is running the website over the summer for UR Athletics? You think they would update the roster with all the changes. We are still showing Burton, Nelson, and Goose on the roster.
It’s for those who like to live in the past.

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
Hunt - was thinking the same thing - he may not have been used to being the lead guy, and having all the extra attention last season. Hopefully that was the case and he had forced some shots causing the lower percentage. Based on his interview he is very willing to be a glue guy and do all the little things to impact winning. It would be great though if Smith is so good he forces his way on the court.
Totally agree about Smith. Before we landed the transfers this spring, I was wanting 30 minutes a game for Smith. I have come down from that, but if he is as good as his top 150 ranking, my hope is not only does he force his way on the court, but becomes a very important part of the rotation right away. Same with Tanner.

Side note - but somewhat related. Who is running the website over the summer for UR Athletics? You think they would update the roster with all the changes. We are still showing Burton, Nelson, and Goose on the roster.
Okay, I have gotten on some of you on here for getting on our program for little things, but this one I can agree with. It is inexcusable to still have our website showing guys on the roster who, not only won't be here, but are with other teams.

It clearly says it's the 2022-23 roster. They just have not posted the 2023-24 roster yet because it's probably not anywhere close to being finalized. It's July.

It clearly says it's the 2022-23 roster. They just have not posted the 2023-24 roster yet because it's probably not anywhere close to being finalized. It's July.
The clearest thing is it shows that the details are not important. Is the webpage roster the most important thing? Of course not, but it sure doesn’t give the impression that the staff is operating efficiently.

I like Hunt, I love his attitude, but I don't think our style fits what he says his strengths are: picking up 94 feet and turning his guy three times before half court, and getting downhill on offense. That's not us, and I don't think the system will change to fit Hunt.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, because my view is this team (other than Quinn) would be at its best at a high tempo and pressing a LOT.
With limited big man depth, we should take advantage of our quickness and pressure ball full court

Okay, I have gotten on some of you on here for getting on our program for little things, but this one I can agree with. It is inexcusable to still have our website showing guys on the roster who, not only won't be here, but are with other teams.
I always feel like it could be done quicker. we don't have to wait for everything to be final. update it upon signing. add photos and bios when available.

but this year isn't unusual. I feel like it's always around the end of July or early August when they update the roster.

Reactions: urfan1
I always feel like it could be done quicker. we don't have to wait for everything to be final. update it upon signing. add photos and bios when available.

but this year isn't unusual. I feel like it's always around the end of July or early August when they update the roster.
Right!. Here's the thing about websites, you can update them more than once. Just one more example of folks in the RC paying no attention to details, large or small.

It takes 2 minutes to remove people from the website. And maybe another 10-20 minutes to add new players. Not saying you have to have the pictures and BIO written up on day 1 - but what is so hard about removing players not even here and adding guys that are on campus and taking part in workouts. Surely you can get a picture of them, write a bio for the webpage.

We have an interview with Hunt, showing him in workouts in Spider Gear - but you click over to the roster, he doesn't exist.

Tyler is on the Villanova roster. https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Nelson is on VCU Roster. https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster

This is a great thread! Talking about lack of attention to electronic details is a good distraction from our basketball prowess ..................

Reactions: Spiders4ever
King def…Roche prob not ready so I wouldn’t put him in the starting lineup.

he has a 6 month+ recovery? not saying he'll start anyway idk but little odd JOC hasnt put that out there if that lengthy of an injury/recovery. what is he dealing with. thx.

Back to topic.

I am thinking Roche, Quinn, and Bigelow get the starting nods this year.

I think some on here are questioning Roche - but I think with his familiarity of the system and a year under his belt, Mooney moves him to starting line-up and he probably plays 25 minutes most nights, depending on whether or not he has the hot shooting hand. I see Bailey, Hunt, and King battling for minutes and sorry to say - just based on injuries and lack of playing time in the past - I could see Bailey as odd man out again.

he has a 6 month+ recovery? not saying he'll start anyway idk but little odd JOC hasnt put that out there if that lengthy of an injury/recovery. what is he dealing with. thx.
Yes, what is the deal with Roche???? Why is this some type of state secret?

I didn't realize it was always this late. But, bottom line is it is very strange in mid July to log onto the site to check out the roster, and see Nelson, Tyler, and all the others who have transferred to other teams.

Back to topic.

I am thinking Roche, Quinn, and Bigelow get the starting nods this year.

I think some on here are questioning Roche - but I think with his familiarity of the system and a year under his belt, Mooney moves him to starting line-up and he probably plays 25 minutes most nights, depending on whether or not he has the hot shooting hand. I see Bailey, Hunt, and King battling for minutes and sorry to say - just based on injuries and lack of playing time in the past - I could see Bailey as odd man out again.
I don't think anyone is questioning Roche. I think most on here would like a lot of minutes for him. It's the top secret, I can tell you a little, but not a lot, info we keep hearing that makes us think he is injured enough that he won't be ready. I don't think there is any way King is battling anyone for minutes. I sure hope not because if he is, we could have last year all over again at the PG spot. I agree on Dji. With the incoming guys, and transfers, I think he will likely be behind a lot of guys in the rotation.

Last edited:
Yes, what is the deal with Roche???? Why is this some type of state secret?
Crazy, isn't it? Top secret, but not so top secret that we can hear he likely won't be ready by opening game??? I don't know about some of you, but I would rather hear nothing than a bunch of teasers that always leave you wondering what the heck is going on.

IF Roche is injured and then won't be ready for opening game, could we something similar to Goose when he started on the injured list. Slowly ramp up and then he takes over starting role? BUT - this does give the opportunity to other guys, like a Hunt - to get minutes early and show what they can do.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
IF Roche is injured and then won't be ready for opening game, could we something similar to Goose when he started on the injured list. Slowly ramp up and then he takes over starting role? BUT - this does give the opportunity to other guys, like a Hunt - to get minutes early and show what they can do.
Yes, to the first part, at least minutes wise for him, but I would say it gives more minutes to Noyes and Tanner early. Roche is more like them, while Hunt is much more of a ball handler. I would think Hunt will get good minutes with a healthy or unhealthy Roche.

It takes 2 minutes to remove people from the website. And maybe another 10-20 minutes to add new players. Not saying you have to have the pictures and BIO written up on day 1 - but what is so hard about removing players not even here and adding guys that are on campus and taking part in workouts. Surely you can get a picture of them, write a bio for the webpage.

We have an interview with Hunt, showing him in workouts in Spider Gear - but you click over to the roster, he doesn't exist.

Tyler is on the Villanova roster. https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Nelson is on VCU Roster. https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster
I have a harder time finding Burton here https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23
Or Nelson here https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23

My point is while I agree most teams have a 2023-2024 roster already and so should we, I disagree that Burton & Nelson should be removed from the 2022-2023 roster and replaced with Hunt...

"It takes 2 minutes to remove people from the website" does that include in team photos and statistics?

I have a harder time finding Burton here https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23
Or Nelson here https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23

My point is while I agree most teams have a 2023-2024 roster already and so should we, I disagree that Burton & Nelson should be removed from the 2022-2023 roster and replaced with Hunt...

"It takes 2 minutes to remove people from the website" does that include in team photos and statistics?
No, don't remove them from 22-23, but it's mid July. Let's update it for 23-24. If pictures are not ready, no worries, add them when they are.

Reactions: urfan1 and urmite
No, don't remove them from 22-23, but it's mid July. Let's update it for 23-24. If pictures are not ready, no worries, add them when they are.
I agree we are later than most adding 2023-2024 and I think we should do it very soon.

I just found it irritating that people are upset Burton & Nelson are still on the site. I assume they will be for quite some time, even after we add 2023-2024 roster (they just won't be in it).

Roche doesn't seem to have any trouble walking around and has had no casts or anything on in recent weeks, at least not visibly. Maybe it was something like a stress fracture of some type where he can walk but can't run and plant? Who knows.

I agree we are later than most adding 2023-2024 and I think we should do it very soon.

I just found it irritating that people are upset Burton & Nelson are still on the site. I assume they will be for quite some time, even after we add 2023-2024 roster (they just won't be in it).
They will always be on the site, on the rosters of the teams they played on that will be on the "rosters" pull-down menu. You don't just delete someone from the roster of the teams they played on when they graduate or transfer.

UR, like many schools, uses Sidearm for their athletic web pages. Developed by guys at Syracuse, it started becoming the go-to web page system in 2015-16 or so and is a fairly easy system to navigate. I expect the roster will be updated shortly.

Speaking from experience in working with this system, the biggest things that must be done before the roster can be updated is, new photos for every player must be taken, and everyone's bio must be updated with highlights from the previous season, which can be rather extensive work, depending on the sport.

Speaking from experience in working with this system, the biggest things that must be done before the roster can be updated is, new photos for every player must be taken, and everyone's bio must be updated with highlights from the previous season, which can be rather extensive work, depending on the sport.
Not all of that (any of it?) is required to get a roster page up though. Photos from the previous year are frequently reused, either permanently or temporarily until new ones are taken. Bios can be updated when they're ready (although they've already had four months to get that done).

You can put up a placeholder page with names, numbers and hometowns with very little effort.

I feel like last year our incoming transfers were quickly added to a new 2022-23 roster page, and we even used cropped versions of their campus visit promo photos until their new official ones were taken.

They will always be on the site, on the rosters of the teams they played on that will be on the "rosters" pull-down menu. You don't just delete someone from the roster of the teams they played on when they graduate or transfer.

UR, like many schools, uses Sidearm for their athletic web pages. Developed by guys at Syracuse, it started becoming the go-to web page system in 2015-16 or so and is a fairly easy system to navigate. I expect the roster will be updated shortly.

Better get those interns crackin'

Well, we've spent enough time discussing this that here I expect JOC to write about it within a day or two, and it will probably be fixed shortly thereafter...

Reactions: spider23
Great news…team is doing their headshots tomorrow. Everyone step back from the ledge 😀
Shouldn't need to wait for pics though. Update the roster accordingly, and then put the pics up when they are ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT