ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Coach

I have always thought of Coach Mooney to be sort of an enigma. He seems very aloof and not very forthcoming about any aspect of the program. Does he have any close friends in coaching? If so, who? Does he do coaching clinics? I know he does the cook-off. My observation is that his demeanor makes it hard for the average fan(school aligned or not)to root for.

I have always thought of Coach Mooney to be sort of an enigma. He seems very aloof and not very forthcoming about any aspect of the program. Does he have any close friends in coaching? If so, who? Does he do coaching clinics? I know he does the cook-off. My observation is that his demeanor makes it hard for the average fan(school aligned or not)to root for.
With all due respect, 9legs, my perception of Coach Mooney is entirely different from yours. People with whom I am acquainted, including my daughter, find Coach to be very personable. Colleagues of mine at UR say the same. In the coaching profession, he is highly regarded and well-liked according to the few professionals I know who know him. The RTD pointed out, and Mike Rhoades himself said, that he is a close friend of our coach. I don't know if you have had any one-on-one interactions with Coach, but I can tell you that when talking with him, he makes you feel like you are the only person in the room. Could expand why you feel the way you feel?

With all due respect, 9legs, my perception of Coach Mooney is entirely different from yours. People with whom I am acquainted, including my daughter, find Coach to be very personable. Colleagues of mine at UR say the same. In the coaching profession, he is highly regarded and well-liked according to the few professionals I know who know him. The RTD pointed out, and Mike Rhoades himself said, that he is a close friend of our coach. I don't know if you have had any one-on-one interactions with Coach, but I can tell you that when talking with him, he makes you feel like you are the only person in the room. Could expand why you feel the way you feel?
So basically you just like him because he's personable and a nice guy? That's all great and he sounds like a real gem of a guy. However you need to win as a coach and he isn't cutting it as far as that goes.

First of all,I think he is probably a good person and family man. I have been watching Spider BB since I was 10 years of age going back WVA and Hot Rod Hundley. No one wants him to succeed more than me but it is hard to argue that the program is in good shape after 13 years of his tenure.

To me all of his comments and interviews whether with the media, pre-game or post game are totally superficial and meaningless as far as the team and program are concerned, consequently his credibility suffers. He has a responsibility to sell and build the program and be accountable to stakeholders. I think he is deficient in these areas. I view him as myopic and inflexible as far as his approach to running the program. It is not the average fan's responsibility to get to know the coach. I contrast him to Russ Huesman. Coach Huesman is so honest and down to earth with meaningful analysis , the average fan feels they are part of the program. You want to pull for him. For many it is tough to get a warm and fuzzy feeling for Coach Mooney.

VT--Ulla was responding to the post from 9legs that was discussing Mooney the person, not Mooney the coach. Which is why he addressed Mooney as the person.

Please stop trolling ALL. THE. TIME.

If everyone here would put him on "Ignore" like I have, he would be talking in a vacuum.

Reactions: whampas and ur2K
If everyone here would put him on "Ignore" like I have, he would be talking in a vacuum.

I may not agree with his posts or his approach to change, but VT has a valid position, and I think that he should be heard. Ignoring VT's posts is tantamount to ignoring the plight of our Men's BB program.

VT changed his position on Coach Huesman. Hopefully, in large part because of those who dare to be critical of Coach Mooney's performance, he will change his opinion about retaining Coach Mooney and, perhaps, along the way be a spark to the fire which will bring about that change as well, as painful as it may now seem. For sure, those who do little more than find ways to justify Coach Mooney's performance, left unopposed, will unwittingly end up perpetuating our mediocrity.

That said, I am not in favor of firing Mooney, but I do think that we must at least put him on terms if he is to continue as coach.

I find Coach Mooney to be a very fine person whose integrity, ethical standards, and human decency are beyond reproach. However, in addition to those standards, he was hired to produce a winning basketball program which can make it to the playoffs more often than he has done in the last seven years.

To quote a statement made by a federal judge in an article posted by 32Counter on the "Off Topics Board," "Americans are not afraid of bumptious, raucous and robust debate about these matters. We call it democracy."

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my mom, a long time season ticket holder, who, at age 74, doesn't use internet forums. I've known she was very fond of Buck and his mother whom she's met several times. She wants to let people out there know via me (asked me to send it forward) she's aware of him asking for a release, and being dismissed the next day, she doesn't buy any of the assumptions people are making about him, and is very disappointed at him not being there this upcoming year as she is in Fore's leaving. She is saying many fans have all the time and patience in the world to process these types of things but at age 74 and older a lot of the fanbase "don't have that kind patience" and don't understand why this kind of thing is happening. As an opposing fan, I hope yall understand I didn't see any harm in writing this here and why I wanted to let her thoughts be known, that she and I am sure her feelings right now aren't unique, how it's affecting the older fans, of which you have a rather large population.

Just got off the phone with my mom, a long time season ticket holder, who, at age 74, doesn't use internet forums. I've known she was very fond of Buck and his mother whom she's met several times. She wants to let people out there know via me (asked me to send it forward) she's aware of him asking for a release, and being dismissed the next day, she doesn't buy any of the assumptions people are making about him, and is very disappointed at him not being there this upcoming year as she is in Fore's leaving. She is saying many fans have all the time and patience in the world to process these types of things but at age 74 and older a lot of the fanbase "don't have that kind patience" and don't understand why this kind of thing is happening. As an opposing fan, I hope yall understand I didn't see any harm in writing this here and why I wanted to let her thoughts be known, that she and I am sure her feelings right now aren't unique, how it's affecting the older fans, of which you have a rather large population.
Ok.....?

Spider alums have a longer lifespan, therefore naturally we have an older fan base. As a 69 year old, I can understand your mom's sense of urgency.

Reactions: KWeaver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT