ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Coach

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Hello,

I have not given up on you yet, however I am disappointed in the lack of recent success, and lack of accountability that I see in the last several years. Here is what you can do to gain back my confidence:

1) Recruit better. Yes, Buck, Grant, Fore, Golden Nick, Gilyard are all guys I would consider very very good recruits. But we always seem to have 5-6 guys. We need 10 guys that are competing for playing time. I think Nick and Buck are very motivated young men, but geez they know if they show up breathing they will by default play 30+ minutes. Go get Golden, a stud grad transfer guard, and another player (transfer, h.s player, whatever) that was highly sought by A10 level teams or above. This will go a long ways to making me feel better about your recruiting prowess. And I want to see 2 out of Phoenix, Tomas or Cayo be solid contributors.

2) Create an atmosphere of competition. A big part of this is number 1 above. You had this on your earlier teams. We had Ryan Butler, Kevin Smith and Francis Martel all competing for minutes at the 3 - and able to play the 2-4 if needed. We had Darien sitting behind Gonzo. Garrett waiting his turn. Etc. Now, I don't see this. We can't be recruiting guys to be red shirts and not compete with the current players.

3) Player Development. What is going on with this. I read about other teams players playing on junior teams, going to different NBA camps, etc in the off season. I remember reading about Harper doing this - worked great for him. Obviously TJ got a lot better and had access to some great opportunities because of his mom. Now, I hear nothing. Leverage that relationship with the GOAT girl Nancy. How about Atkinson and Flem?? Push these guys to go to these off season opportunities, instead of working out with your redshirt level guys you recruit. Don't give me excuses, pick up the damn phone and do it.

4) Scheduling - When I read some of Chris Mack's newsletters and the other coaches that participate, I see some have mantra is: We will play anyone anywhere anytime. I realize some teams are hard to get, but we can do better. We can do better. No excuses.

5) Admissions - Stop being so nice. If you have a border line guy academically, tell Hardt and PQ they better pull strings and get him in or you are not going to play golf with them anymore. You don't recruit bad apples, so if we have to take a chance on a guy academically let's make sure it happens.

6) Commit yourself to excellence. I feel the big contracts and early success have dulled your fire. I probably would do the same if 1 month salary would pay for almost 4 years of my kids college. People were telling you how good you are. If needed, keep reading these posts and wake up pissed off each day and do not allow for complacency among your players. Make a public announcement about your goals. Create excitement around the program.
7) Constantly evaluate and don't be afraid to change. JB brought in a defensive coach at age 65. You seem to change at a snails pace. Don't bring in "yes" men that only know your philosophies.
8) Have some fun. Get mad, get happy, show some emotion.

You can do it, I know you can, let's start today to make this program great. If not, hopefully Hardt knows what to do.

Hello,

I have not given up on you yet, however I am disappointed in the lack of recent success, and lack of accountability that I see in the last several years. Here is what you can do to gain back my confidence:

1) Recruit better. Yes, Buck, Grant, Fore, Golden Nick, Gilyard are all guys I would consider very very good recruits. But we always seem to have 5-6 guys. We need 10 guys that are competing for playing time. I think Nick and Buck are very motivated young men, but geez they know if they show up breathing they will by default play 30+ minutes. Go get Golden, a stud grad transfer guard, and another player (transfer, h.s player, whatever) that was highly sought by A10 level teams or above. This will go a long ways to making me feel better about your recruiting prowess. And I want to see 2 out of Phoenix, Tomas or Cayo be solid contributors.

2) Create an atmosphere of competition. A big part of this is number 1 above. You had this on your earlier teams. We had Ryan Butler, Kevin Smith and Francis Martel all competing for minutes at the 3 - and able to play the 2-4 if needed. We had Darien sitting behind Gonzo. Garrett waiting his turn. Etc. Now, I don't see this. We can't be recruiting guys to be red shirts and not compete with the current players.

3) Player Development. What is going on with this. I read about other teams players playing on junior teams, going to different NBA camps, etc in the off season. I remember reading about Harper doing this - worked great for him. Obviously TJ got a lot better and had access to some great opportunities because of his mom. Now, I hear nothing. Leverage that relationship with the GOAT girl Nancy. How about Atkinson and Flem?? Push these guys to go to these off season opportunities, instead of working out with your redshirt level guys you recruit. Don't give me excuses, pick up the damn phone and do it.

4) Scheduling - When I read some of Chris Mack's newsletters and the other coaches that participate, I see some have mantra is: We will play anyone anywhere anytime. I realize some teams are hard to get, but we can do better. We can do better. No excuses.

5) Admissions - Stop being so nice. If you have a border line guy academically, tell Hardt and PQ they better pull strings and get him in or you are not going to play golf with them anymore. You don't recruit bad apples, so if we have to take a chance on a guy academically let's make sure it happens.

6) Commit yourself to excellence. I feel the big contracts and early success have dulled your fire. I probably would do the same if 1 month salary would pay for almost 4 years of my kids college. People were telling you how good you are. If needed, keep reading these posts and wake up pissed off each day and do not allow for complacency among your players. Make a public announcement about your goals. Create excitement around the program.
7) Constantly evaluate and don't be afraid to change. JB brought in a defensive coach at age 65. You seem to change at a snails pace. Don't bring in "yes" men that only know your philosophies.

You can do it, I know you can, let's start today to make this program great. If not, hopefully Hardt knows what to do.

Totally agree with you 23.

How many times is someone going to post this exact same thing? Feel like this is at least the third or fourth time. We get it. 23 just took all his posts from previous feeds and condensed them into one post. Thanks?

The last few years I have had a personal debate on whether I want to keep buying season tickets. I have been buying them for 30+ years but it seems to get harder each year to get my enthusiasm level up. I have been hoping at least an appearance that Mooney is willing to make some of the changes described. It doesn't happen. I want to support the players but I hate having an athletic administration that uses tickets sales as a support tool for a stagnate program.

This seems like the correct post to ask on.

Has there been any announcements/mentions of any changes in the coaching staff? Any departures/additions/ reassignments, etc?

Bscoper, I am hoping my open letter, along with the other pressure from the staff reading this board, along with Hardt coming in, along with the practice facilities, along with hopefully more admissions wins can change things. I am doubling down now that I know my voice is being heard, except by those that have me on ignore.

This seems like the correct post to ask on.

Has there been any announcements/mentions of any changes in the coaching staff? Any departures/additions/ reassignments, etc?
Yesterday's RTD article said Mooney says no other attrition among players or staff.

That is very good news on the players. Though the only concern is that I feel like the Fore news was seemingly known by posters prior to Mooney himself. Hope no more surprises. We need to get positive momentum going right now.

How many times is someone going to post this exact same thing? Feel like this is at least the third or fourth time. We get it. 23 just took all his posts from previous feeds and condensed them into one post. Thanks?

No offense intended but when you see the thread entitled "Dear Coach" you may not want to open it and read it if you are tired of reading criticism of said coach. I've said this before but if we were having this conversation in person I'd buy you a beer...nothing personal. I appreciate @spider23 putting his displeasure in writing and into a public forum. It's more constructive than just being apathetic...which is where I feel we are heading as fanbase if this program doesn't start competing for the conference title asap.

the "no other attrition" news is relieving. that would have been a disaster.

can't wait to see how we fill out the roster.
1) priority. we need a quick ball handler who can defend and who can give Jacob a breather. I think juco Roydell is ideal, but someone who's ready to go.
2) athletic bigger guy. I'm losing hope on Bryce. could be wrong, but think if it was going to happen it would have happened quickly. guessing he's giving Pitt every chance to keep him. So if not Bryce, I like Sy.
3) guard. would love the 3rd guy to be Blake Francis.

I think that would be a heck of an off-season.

Spiderman, good points. Ideally we would get a quick ballhandler, and the "quick" also translates into staying in front of your man on defense. I'm very unsure on the juco guy. I don't think he will be an A10 level ball handler. He definitely is a good sized guard and very athletic, and would hope he could play perimeter D.
I like the looks and production of Blake Francis too, but unfortunately would not see him on the court until 2019-2020 season.
Bryce, need to believe. This is Mooney's big chance.

Roydell might not be an A10 PG, but I think he can fill in there for a few minutes. Buck handles and passes very well but he's not a PG.
Roydell's got great length and seems quick enough. I think/hope he'd be a very good defender on the perimeter at the 2 as well as the 1.

if not Roydell ... someone like that.

am I losing it? I'm looking for a highlight video I saw that was broken down into segments. passing, shooting, driving, transition.
thought it was Roydell. but re-watching Roydell's highlights he's a 2/3. I don't see any passing. who am I thinking of?

Does anyone know if Mooney does anything like this? Most of these speakers are really good recruiters - I know I know a couple may have questionable tactics. BUT, this is one way of getting out there, and getting in front of h.s coaches in talented areas. I remember Shaka used to do this a ton. Maybe Mooney is doing this, but it is not publicized at all. I know he had those practice videos, but those were not going to distinguish themselves in the market.

Not trying to take another slam at Mooney, just wondering if he uses these types of clinics to expand his reach?

he's actually doing one soon where his topic is "our zone defense".
I didn't post it before or link it because a thread like that was bound to go poorly. but he is out there.

Reactions: Captain Anderson
Wow - was I fooled - thought with the thread Title of "Dear" might be something so personal I wouldn't want to know about it...........................

he's actually doing one soon where his topic is "our zone defense".
I didn't post it before or link it because a thread like that was bound to go poorly. but he is out there.
Where is he doing it and who is the audience? Just curious. The one I posted before is at Roselle Catholic which is a top hoops school and plays in a league that is loaded with top talent.
Good to hear Mooney is out there.

Where is he doing it and who is the audience? Just curious. The one I posted before is at Roselle Catholic which is a top hoops school and plays in a league that is loaded with top talent.
Good to hear Mooney is out there.
I'll try to find it. can't remember details.
I know Roselle Catholic well. their top player is going to LSU next fall and played in the McD All American game. Naz Reid. he's awesome.

I'm not sure what those clinics accomplish though. I don't think kids go to them. just coaches. small college coaches and high school coaches.

I'm not sure what those clinics accomplish though. I don't think kids go to them. just coaches. small college coaches and high school coaches.

Builds relationships with coaches, which builds inroads in the future with their players.

"Our Zone Defense" works if everyone is is 6'4" up. Coach how tall are your guards typically? Oh, 6 foot or less. What
do you do on the switches where there is mismatch down low? Up creek without paddle, but that rarely happens.

Hello,

This is your best post in a while. Enjoyed it.

Bscoper, I am hoping my open letter, along with the other pressure from the staff reading this board, along with Hardt coming in, along with the practice facilities, along with hopefully more admissions wins can change things. I am doubling down now that I know my voice is being heard, except by those that have me on ignore.

If the staff reads this board it’s one thing. If they react and adjust their daily operations because of this board it’s another. They’re professional marketers, administrators, PR, coaches, trainers, etc. I’d be disappointed if they’re swayed by the harsh opinions of a few angry fans.

If the staff reads this board it’s one thing. If they react and adjust their daily operations because of this board it’s another. They’re professional marketers, administrators, PR, coaches, trainers, etc. I’d be disappointed if they’re swayed by the harsh opinions of a few angry fans.
I don’t think what 23 posted is harsh. I think it’s actually a pretty well thought out post with fair criticisms of CM and his staff. Most of it is objectively true, the other parts that are subjective aren’t overboard and again, relay some fair concerns.

I'd be disappointed if they are not swayed. I am not trying to be cocky, but am speaking what I perceive to be the truth. I could be very wrong on some of these points, but these are my observations and I know these thoughts are filtering through to his Mooniness.

Thanks for the support Tbone. I do promise that I will try to be more grammatically correct in my use of they're/their/there. It has quite honestly bothered me recently how bad I have butchered it with no concern.

I'd be disappointed if they are not swayed. I am not trying to be cocky, but am speaking what I perceive to be the truth. I could be very wrong on some of these points, but these are my observations and I know these thoughts are filtering through to his Mooniness.

Thanks for the support Tbone. I do promise that I will try to be more grammatically correct in my use of they're/their/there. It has quite honestly bothered me recently how bad I have butchered it with no concern.
For the record, you are not the there/their/they’re culprit. I have turned in my grammar police badge, I was just trying to bring a little levity yesterday.

Are you frigging kidding us? CM's weakest suit is defense (and the ancillary, inability to coach defensive rebounding). This team, with or without Fore or any other player, will not succeed until either it is taught how to play defense effectively or shows the nads to play defense uncoached.

Perhaps the camp title of Our Zone Defense has a subtitle of “Most effective when played with at least 4 guys 6’6” or taller”.

The defense actually used to be quite good.

I'm sure CM spends hours each day reading posts on this board from well meaning but vastly unqualified fans like myself.
I know I'm always open to anonymous unsolicited amateur advice in every facet of my life.

I'm sure CM spends hours each day reading posts on this board from well meaning but vastly unqualified fans like myself.
I know I'm always open to anonymous unsolicited amateur advice in every facet of my life.

CM decided coaching was the way he wanted to make a living. There are millions of people out there qualified to make a living in professions other than the one they choose. We are all amateurs in everything except what we choose as our professions. It has nothing to do with knowledge or the lack of.

Mooney was an English major. Not sure how that helped with basketball coaching/running a program/entity/business. I'm not picking on him, he is the subject of this thread. The world is full of people in professions other than what their education groomed them for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Me either Spiderman - I'm not open to unsolicited advice from amateurs. I do have intel that the staff reads the board.
yes, I'm sure someone does. I was exaggerating. it's very important that the program understands the pulse of the fans. and I think the big picture is certainly getting through. there's frustration and growing impatience. anger even. you see in some of CM's quotes that he feels it.

but I think that's as far as it goes. the details of what defense to play, who to recruit ... that kind of stuff? if I'm Mooney, I'm doing everything I can to win. I've seriously thought of every freaking thought that the posters here can come up with. I've considered it all and I continue to consider it all. it's what I do every day. and I'm making decisions constantly on what I think is best. I take into consideration tons of strategies and opinions from well respected coaches all across the country. and I have reasons for my decisions. a big picture plan. even if it doesn't work out all the time, it's on me. that's what I get paid to do. and I'm doing what I think is best for the long term of the program, not changing strategies week to week because what I think is best didn't work last week.

Even the kid Andrew on the Black and Drew show is bringing a little heat down on Monney and the UR admin. I know they won’t fire Monney, but I sure don’t mind him and his staff feeling a little hot under the collar this off season.

CM decided coaching was the way he wanted to make a living. There are millions of people out there qualified to make a living in professions other than the one they choose. We are all amateurs in everything except what we choose as our professions. It has nothing to do with knowledge or the lack of.

Mooney was an English major. Not sure how that helped with basketball coaching/running a program/entity/business. I'm not picking on him, he is the subject of this thread. The world is full of people in professions other than what their education groomed them for.

Mooney was also a 4-year starter at a Division I basketball program. In most cases, that's how you're groomed for the job. There are very few "coaching" majors out there. I'm sure there are some former players on this forum, but I suspect most of the posters are not.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT