ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton White-Out Game (Mens) Thread 6pm Sat 1/27 CBSSN

This team has made a believer of me. Outstanding game and a great win. It's the toughest team Mooney has put on the court. We're winning games down the stretch that we would have found ways to lose in the past. Mentally and physically tough bunch. Easy to root for these guys.

I’m so proud of this team! Tremendous defense and effort! And the students were awesome. Great, great school spirit! Those highly questionable whistles were making me nervous. But great clutch free throw shooting by our Spiders preserved our lead and win.

HOW WE FEELING 🫠
tenor.gif

6-12 at the line before Bigelow hit those 2. But we’re 2-2 in our last two. Build on that.
Props to you for sparking 16 straight FT makes before a miss by Bigs late.

Same as what others said - Dji and Hunt were both huge on defense and offense both today. This was as good a half as Hunt could play IMO. Big 3, big and-1, big FTs, great defense, kept guys composed. Made the long pass to Dji for the dunk. Huge. Dji didn't force offense and came up big when needed, and was the menace in UR's switching defense.

Jordan hit a massive jumper to push the lead up to 5, shot it over Holmes. That shot got a bit lost in all the fouls and such at the end but was a giant score to keep UR's cushion in place.

Quinn was big on both ends in the first half to keep Holmes in check and keep UR from scoring single digits.

Bigs rebounding/FT makes were huge.

Roche 5 big first half points.

I also thought that Moon coached an A game today. Very rare I think a coach does almost everything well, but the defensive gameplan was great, and the decision to go King/Dji/Roche/Bigs/Quinn was a key move late in the first half for 5-6 minutes where UR took control of the game flow. That was the best offensive lineup possible and what was needed at that point. Tight rotation 2nd half, 7 guys and some offense/defense subs. The only thing preventing an A+ was the lack of timeout on the 5 second violation. Yes, he was at the other end of the court but could have instructed whomever was the deep man to call it if any issue, and I do think his mandate to hoard timeouts trickles down in key moments where players don't instinctively use them in spots.

Massive win, just gigantic.

Man, don't get me started on how refs can establish for an entire half how they're calling a game, only to completely reverse it in the 2nd half. Feel like I've seen this over and over where 2nd half gets lots of calls early on and then spirals downhill. I think I even mentioned it in one of our recent games (Dukes?) where DUQ got called for 3 early fouls in 2nd half and then I knew it would come back on UR (it did.)

The last foul on Dji where the guy didn't control the rebound was insanely bad. Announcers grimaced at that one and said no foul. It changed the endgame from what could have been an easier close out, to one where UD got free points and kept scrapping. UD fans can look at that and the other foul on Dji (where he got knocked down and a guy landed on him and he got the foul) and keep their complaints to themselves.

But I think UR wins this game no matter how it was reffed. Won the first half with no calls being made, even 2nd half with all the fouls. Dayton wasn't getting anything when they were letting it play, UR had it on lockdown.

I saw that and yelled it to the refs, but they were too busy calling phantom fouls. I’ve seen that double dribble a few times this year and never called.

Yeah I think refs have eliminated that call for most part similar to the 3 step gather into a jump shot.

Are there only 5 A10 teams with 3 losses or less? And 3 of the other 4 have a loss to us?
yes. separation is what UR needs. Pile wins. Would have liked a VCU loss today for that reason too but DC ran some awful offense when the going got tough late and gave themselves almost no shot to win in the end.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Guess no suprise but Grant should have been called for a technical when game was winding down and we had the ball out of bounds. He ran past midcourt to yell in the refs ear gesturing the ball was off us. Caused a delay and the refs reviewed a very obvious call and awarded the ball to us as they had already done.

Question - Is Holmes a natural 3 playing 15 feet from basket? He didn’t seem like an interior presence. Or was this just due to foul situation?

Reactions: nathanw19
It doesn't always show up in the stat sheet, but Dji may be the best defender in the A10 this season, at the very least most underrated. If he isnt on the all defensive team something is amiss. I haven't seen anyone better yet that disrupts an offense thus far. So many times he cut off easy layups tonight and pushed penetration sideways and blowing up a play call. Seemed to be everywhere at times. 4 of his 12 points were absolute beauties, that layup with his opposite hand under the basket was a thing of beauty as well as the crowd charging dunk.

Well damn, that was a lot of fun even though we didn't win by 36. I'll let it slide this once though. This team is breaking every mold of predictability that had been established in most of Mooney's years here, and I'm absolutely loving it. Let's go win the whole damn thing now.

yes. separation is what UR needs. Pile wins. Would have liked a VCU loss today for that reason too but DC ran some awful offense when the going got tough late and gave themselves almost no shot to win in the end.
Shame DC had no center…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT