ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton White-Out Game (Mens) Thread 6pm Sat 1/27 CBSSN

Some of the worst calls I’ve seen. Two of them on Diji. One where he is laying on his back on the floor! The second was that late game call where Diji has his back to a guy who trips over his own feet! I thought a ref calls a foul he actually sees but not one he assumes!

Some of the worst calls I’ve seen. Two of them on Diji. One where he is laying on his back on the floor! The second was that late game call where Diji has his back to a guy who trips over his own feet! I thought a ref calls a foul he actually sees but not one he assumes!
Usually I don’t comment on refs, but last night was absolutely awful multiple occasions. Matter of fact - this season seems a bunch of games with bad refs. Begs the question of what is the review process end of season on refs. Do league coaches have input or provide feedback or provide video of worst of the worst?

Dji takes a forearm shiver from a Dayton player and gets thrown to the ground, where another players then trips over him after he is laid out and the foul gets on Dji.

So that call is one we can discuss. The issue that Dji was knocked to the ground while in air and no call on that play, I think we all know was an uncalled foul. If we put that aside for a moment and just agree it was a bad no call that led to the series of events, what is the correct call on the following play? Dji is now on the ground, the UD player gets possession and lands on him.

I've seen it many times where a player on the ground is called for a foul through no fault of his own. I get it, if a guy lands on a guy on the ground, what other call is there? But I don't know if this is explicitly in the rules anywhere or falls into the category of "landing space" much like the shooter protection rules in place these days? Anyone have any idea?

So that call is one we can discuss. The issue that Dji was knocked to the ground while in air and no call on that play, I think we all know was an uncalled foul. If we put that aside for a moment and just agree it was a bad no call that led to the series of events, what is the correct call on the following play? Dji is now on the ground, the UD player gets possession and lands on him.

I've seen it many times where a player on the ground is called for a foul through no fault of his own. I get it, if a guy lands on a guy on the ground, what other call is there? But I don't know if this is explicitly in the rules anywhere or falls into the category of "landing space" much like the shooter protection rules in place these days? Anyone have any idea?

Guess I’ll be the contrarian bc I didn’t have any issue with that call. In fact I think it was the right one. It was a 50 50 ball that both players were going for. Yes Dji took the worse of it & some refs may call foul on UD guy as result, but I think it’s better as a no call. Idk what the rules explicitly say about being on ground but from what I’ve seen w similar plays it’s near 100% they call foul on guy on the ground. Dji leg came up a bit too. Not intentionally. Another play we got a little unlucky on. The refs missed some both ways. Holmes 4th foul was bad so was Neal’s 4th & 5th. The goaltend call on dji was close I actually think we have better argument w that one.

Reactions: urfan1
I was fine with the foul with Dji on the gorund. unfortunate, but correct to me. and I thought the goal tending call was correct, too.

if Holmes' 4th foul was the one on their turnover where he grabbed our guy going by, then I thought that was obviously the right call too.

didn't like how tight they called the game to start the 2nd half, but it went both ways.

nothing better than a back handed slam on the coach, after a game like that. Listen to NQ's post-game on coaching. So on brand
It wasn't backhanded, once again your bias and blindness caused you to misread and misinterpret. I've been clear for 18-years where I stand on Mooney's coaching ability. It was apparent in year one, and his career numbers back up my position. You drink whatever Kool-Aid you choose, we disagree on substance.

I complimented performance that led to a really nice win, that is appropriate, regardless of your "cover for my friend at all costs" viewpoint. I gave props to Mooney for his game behavior, which was better than what we have seen on a regular basis the past couple of decades.

Bottom line, stop directing your arrogance and snarkiness toward me individually. Your friend will win "Coach of the Year" this year in conference, but it will not be because of his coaching ability. If you disagree, fine, your position doesn't change his career performance or make him a top flight coach.

Your friend will win "Coach of the Year" this year in conference, but it will not be because of his coaching ability. If you disagree, fine, your position doesn't change his career performance or make him a top flight coach.
if he wins COY, it's because of his coaching.

nobody here is claiming CM should win "Coach of the Decade" or of the past 19 years. but COY ... he put this team together and he's coaching them.

there's still a long way to go to earn COY, though. there's no award for where you stand at the end of January.

GK, I agree with sman, Holmes 4th foul he grabbed a guy who was a step ahead of him and pushing forward in transition. It's a clear and obvious effort to slow down the ball handler and refs will always call it. He even threw his hands up immediately after he did it, trying to show he wasn't grabbing - which is the clearest indication that he was. Then he looked at the bench, not the refs, trying to convince them to let him stay in the game. Was a clear foul to me.

The one he got early in the 2nd half - I think his 2nd or 3rd - on the offensive end, seemed like a clear make up call and a terrible whistle. Refs got whistle happy and 95% of time they even that out, which means more whistles.

That's what happens in the A10 on a busy Saturday of hoops. Best refs in the region are going ACC, Big East games, A10 is going to get some suspect refs across the board. Then again, I'm glad TV Ted Valentine was not at the RC.

It wasn't backhanded, once again your bias and blindness caused you to misread and misinterpret. I've been clear for 18-years where I stand on Mooney's coaching ability. It was apparent in year one, and his career numbers back up my position. You drink whatever Kool-Aid you choose, we disagree on substance.

I complimented performance that led to a really nice win, that is appropriate, regardless of your "cover for my friend at all costs" viewpoint. I gave props to Mooney for his game behavior, which was better than what we have seen on a regular basis the past couple of decades.

Bottom line, stop directing your arrogance and snarkiness toward me individually. Your friend will win "Coach of the Year" this year in conference, but it will not be because of his coaching ability. If you disagree, fine, your position doesn't change his career performance or make him a top flight coach.

Look I'm firmly in the move on from Mooney camp, but even I can see that this is probably his best coaching job. He brought in a ton of new pieces without any idea that they would work together or work his complicated system, and he's got them on a roll right now. Again, I can see when to put away the Mooney hostility and just enjoy the ride.

Reactions: urfan1
I was fine with the foul with Dji on the gorund. unfortunate, but correct to me. and I thought the goal tending call was correct, too.

if Holmes' 4th foul was the one on their turnover where he grabbed our guy going by, then I thought that was obviously the right call too.

didn't like how tight they called the game to start the 2nd half, but it went both ways.
GK, I agree with sman, Holmes 4th foul he grabbed a guy who was a step ahead of him and pushing forward in transition. It's a clear and obvious effort to slow down the ball handler and refs will always call it. He even threw his hands up immediately after he did it, trying to show he wasn't grabbing - which is the clearest indication that he was. Then he looked at the bench, not the refs, trying to convince them to let him stay in the game. Was a clear foul to me.

There was a definite reach out, but the act of reaching out itself is not a foul. Intent doesn’t matter. There r no more intentional fouls. It’s either common foul or flagrant 1 or 2. I’m not sure Holmes got more than a fingertip on him. Grazing someone w your fingertip is soft imo. But I’m just going by how I saw live. I acknowledge there may have been more contact than I saw. would have to see replay.

Yes sman I agreed w Dji goaltend too. But ultimately that’s a much harder call to make imo that’s why I say we had more of an argument. Great play regardless.

There was definitely a little tug by Holmes on Dji's right arm as he was trying to get control of the ball and break out. Could have let it go, but I can also see it being called. Timestamped embed:

Reactions: 8legs1dream
There was definitely a little tug by Holmes on Dji's right arm as he was trying to get control of the ball and break out. Could have let it go, but I can also see it being called. Timestamped embed:

Thanks. U still can’t tell if he actually made contact imo. His arm was on other side of Dji away from camera. The ref was right there u defer to him. But u pause video still can’t tell. My guess is a very slight grazing. Which one could say is a tough call. Btw the call hurt us. We may have had a fast break. But minimum possession and we missed front end of 1&1.

Fwiw the announcers did not like the call either. But I put less stock in them bc those guys can be as wrong as any fan and often r.

Ya, it's tough. I feel like I see a little hitch in Dji's step as if the grab impeded him ever so slightly. Can't tell for sure though.

to me it's clear. Dji didn't just throw his right shoulder back.
I thought Holmes was more mad at himself than at the call. he knew it right away.

Reactions: spider23
I'm with spiderman, Dji almost loses control of the ball after the steal because of Holmes contact with his right arm. I think a reverse angle would have shown the same.

The way he throws his hands up before the whistle even blows is the surest sign that he knows it was a foul. It's basketball guilt 101. Also - we are on the other side of the play with our tv angle. The ref is right there with a perfect angle 10 feet from it. The way they called the 2nd half, if they did not call that, I would have wanted a bunch more calls in UR's favor.

If u r barely touched that’s not an automatic call imo u could call fouls every moment. Yes Holmes reacted bc he did reach. He also gave a dismissive wave of the hand directed toward what he thought about the call. That’s what it looks like. came right b4 he gave UD bench thumbs up gesture wanting to stay in. I’m not surprised the call was made but if I’m a UD fan I see it as soft af esp for 4th foul w 11-12 mins left.

GK, I think you're wrong, he waved off the bench who was about to sub him out. The announcers even talked about how he was waving / telling the bench not to sub him out.

Also, yes, it was a soft foul, but it was a foul. We got it here above, confirmed he got grabbed.

I think it's fair to say Holmes is a dirty player and not only should have been called for a foul but also ejected, suspended and banned from the league. Fortunately, since he was playing so badly, none of that happened.

GK, I think you're wrong, he waved off the bench who was about to sub him out. The announcers even talked about how he was waving / telling the bench not to sub him out.

Also, yes, it was a soft foul, but it was a foul. We got it here above, confirmed he got grabbed.

Yes maybe. To me the thumbs up is the definitive gesture to bench but we don’t know for sure on the other.

Don’t go by announcers. if u do u would agree it’s a bad call bc the announcers also said so.

Soft fouls can be bad calls. That’s why we label as soft.

Look I'm firmly in the move on from Mooney camp, but even I can see that this is probably his best coaching job. He brought in a ton of new pieces without any idea that they would work together or work his complicated system, and he's got them on a roll right now. Again, I can see when to put away the Mooney hostility and just enjoy the ride.
By adding DeLonnie, the Spiers have that openly enthusiastic, positive, energetic player-his attitude is contagious- look at the great energy and hustle from all of the players-I think he's contributed to this. By adding Jordan, the Spiders have a calm, poised leader and clutch scorer- much like Gilly. Throw in the improvement this year by Neal and the aggressive rebounding and great energy from Isaiah, the great improvement by Diji, and the terrific bench play, and- BOOM! And yes, hats off to Coach Mooney for obtaining the right players- team players who compliment the others and who have bought into playing great hustle defense and never giving up.

I have always said this is what I think good coaching is (no matter the sport, no matter the level). Taking unknown pieces and putting them together to make the whole greater than the parts. Or taking a team that is not expected to perform well into a place that is much better than anyone realistically expected.

To me, it is easy when you have good players and they perform well. I don't think there is much "coaching" needed there. That is more like a good manager who just steps back and lets the team/employees do what they do and trust them not to screw it up. And only steps in if/when needed.

Reactions: mr.spider
To me, it is easy when you have good players and they perform well. I don't think there is much "coaching" needed there. That is more like a good manager who just steps back and lets the team/employees do what they do and trust them not to screw it up. And only steps in if/when needed.
that was me coaching travel ball! my team was loaded. my job was to not screw it up!

I have always said this is what I think good coaching is (no matter the sport, no matter the level). Taking unknown pieces and putting them together to make the whole greater than the parts. Or taking a team that is not expected to perform well into a place that is much better than anyone realistically expected.

100% agree. That's why I thought Beilein was an amazing coach! Generally Mooney needs to step back a bit and allow the players to play to their abilities and not try to fit into his system. He's getting compliments this year because he is largely doing that. Let them be physical and aggressive and play to their natural abilities. We are doing that this year, and it is fun. I think we generally have more raw talent than we let on, and we don't always need to completely finesse our way to victory.

Observations about the Fans:
National Anthem: My wife and I sat in Section 15, row V- side near the student section. It was moving to hear so many students singing the National Anthem- GREAT! And then to hear the crowd's great, loud applause and approval for the singer on the floor.

Sweet Caroline: Very nice move by operations. The crowd loved it. The students were loud! Great!

Overall- excellent support from the Spiders fans!

I know Sweet Caroline is a classic and has become a sporting event staple, and it was cool to see the crowd getting so into it....BUT that was not the time for a song like that. There were like 2 minutes or less left in a ridiculously exciting and close game. The music should have been something to get everyone amped up during the timeout, not singing kumbaya together. Just IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT