ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton White-Out Game (Mens) Thread 6pm Sat 1/27 CBSSN

RPI is obviously not NET, but the Spiders jumped from 73 to 55 in RPI. (Dayton only slipped from 4 to 5.)

KenPom moved us from 85 to 80.
Move 5 spots in Ken pom with 5 point win over a top 15 team…. Ummm what does it take to gain ground? Seems dumb imo

Reactions: urfan1
Glad I could help by not being there. But hated it too.

Only consolidation is there must be a convention at my hotel, there are over 400 25-30 year old women here.now that the game is over, maybe I can go find out why…
Did you mean Consolation?? Lol

Our net ranking has fallen from 72 to 75. We just beat the #16 team in the country. Dayton is a really good team. We are on a 10-0 win streak. We should have improved our standing. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Our net ranking has fallen from 72 to 75. We just beat the #16 team in the country. Dayton is a really good team. We are on a 10-0 win streak. We should have improved our standing. Absolutely ridiculous.

I agree it is outrageous that our NET at 9am today didn’t go up for beating the #16 team at 8pm. Shouldn’t NET have anticipated that?

A great TEAM win! As others have said, the defense has been really good, Bigelow was a BEAST rebounding. Bailey, Hunt, and King ALL making timely big plays, free throws when they count, fun to watch! The poise has been impressive, this team is not showing the typical collapse mode that we have become so accustomed to.

Lastly, I don't think that Mooney has the skills for coach of the year, BUT, I did notice that he was very active and involved in this game. I saw him on court adamantly urging the defense on. His level of passion and motivation seemed to be in high gear. I think that he too is believing that the ride could be special.

A great TEAM win! As others have said, the defense has been really good, Bigelow was a BEAST rebounding. Bailey, Hunt, and King ALL making timely big plays, free throws when they count, fun to watch! The poise has been impressive, this team is not showing the typical collapse mode that we have become so accustomed to.

Lastly, I don't think that Mooney has the skills for coach of the year, BUT, I did notice that he was very active and involved in this game. I saw him on court adamantly urging the defense on. His level of passion and motivation seemed to be in high gear. I think that he too is believing that the ride could be special
nothing better than a back handed slam on the coach, after a game like that. Listen to NQ's post-game on coaching. So on brand

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Awesome game to be a part of last night and congrats to the Spiders for delivering the big win. No let down or just happy to be here attitude from this group. My ears are still ringing this morning, great atmosphere and showing by our fans to really give this game a March, do or die, first place on the line feel. I really felt this was a must win for us to take this season from a nice little story to potentially something more, and the fellas delivered in a big way.

Only real gripe for me was the officiating, which I felt went from great in the first half (mostly letting them play) to awful in the second. Quinn and Holmes combined for 9 of the softest fouls I could imagine. And the one where Dji got knocked over, the guy fell on him and then he received the foul was mind boggling.

View from the other side:

In the press conference, Quinn mentioned the scouting report. The Times Disgrace noted Quinn's defensive effort and the chess match between Quinn and Holmes.

"Holmes is a talent, and given good health, he’ll have a long pro career. But no matter his versatility and considerable shooting range, he doesn’t need to be hoisting seven 3-pointers in a half.

But that’s exactly what the Spiders, Quinn in particular, baited him into. To lend context: Holmes was averaging 2.4 attempts per game beyond the arc.

Holmes’ infatuation was the Spiders’ gain as they ever so slowly chipped away at a 9-0 deficit and forged a 20-15 halftime advantage. Nine of Holmes’ dozen shots came beyond the arc and from early in the first half to late in the second, he went 32:09 without a point.

I thought we got out of character,” Grant said.

“Neal is a great defender," Mooney said, "and we have a lot of speed and instinct around him, and that’s enabled us to be a very, very elite defensive team.”

Yes, it's behind a paywall, but it was $1 for 3 months.

Reactions: UR80sfan
What an awesome win!! The chemistry, the emotion, the confidence they play with, and the incredible defensive intensity every possession make them so much fun to watch. I love this team!!!

Our starting 5 is such a solid, versatile 5. King, Hunt, and Dji combined for 105 minutes played and had 1 combined turnover. 1!!!!! Are you kidding me? That is just so good, and all made multiple huge plays during the game.

King and Hunt have been unreal. They are exactly what we needed and have obviously been massive additions for us. Guard play is everything in college basketball. You can't win without quality guard play, and these 2 are playing off the charts good at both ends. And, you can just see Hunt's leadership show up throughout the games.

Everyone knows I was critical of Dji for 3 years on here, but the guy is just playing great right now, and gives us a little bit of everything at both ends of the court each game. I am really impressed with how he has hung in there through the tough times, with lots of lower minute games and inconsistent minutes his first few years. Even this year, as a 4th year guy, he wasn't starting at the beginning, but you could tell he kept a good attitude and started making such positive impacts out there, he turned himself into a 30+ minute player that you want on the court. I could not be happier for him ( and for SDad).

Bigs continues to rebound like crazy out there, and I really feel like that rallies the team. After guarding hard for 20 some seconds, it nice to see those defensive possessions rewarded with the Bigs rebounds. His shots were off, but he still played a great game, and made a huge 3 and a ton of key FTs.

Quinn battles his tail off out there, and I doubt anyone else this year will shut Holmes down like he did. And, his 1st half scoring saved us.

We got some needed scoring from Roche and I like what our 4 man bench brings, but our 5 starters are all playing at a very high level right now. Let's keep this thing going!!!

Great team win. I echo what many have said, which is that this team has chemistry. Hard to believe that a starting 5, one 4 yr program senior supplemented by 4 transfers, can mesh this well this quickly. Definitely shows that experience matters in college basketball and this team has experience, just not together.

Had to have the Q1 win, but it is still early in the A10 slate with 11 games to go including 6 road games. Keep it up Spiders, the target is now fully affixed to your backs. Go Spiders!

View from the other side:

Probably the most complementary I have ever heard Anthony Grant. Loved King inviting the students onto the floor.

Great win last night! Also, had a great time sitting in Section 9. Thank you for being so welcoming and bring the intensity all game!

The guys showed out last night, and I love that this team is leading it with defense. Sure, it can make for some ugly stretches when the offense isn’t clicking/shots aren’t falling, but defense travels and it totally put Dayton off.

Also, that’s the most electric I’ve seen the Robin’s center. I kept making note of the stark difference of the BC game atmosphere up in Boston vs how a real basketball school handles things. Great experience and great win!

What an awesome win!! The chemistry, the emotion, the confidence they play with, and the incredible defensive intensity every possession make them so much fun to watch. I love this team!!!

Our starting 5 is such a solid, versatile 5. King, Hunt, and Dji combined for 105 minutes played and had 1 combined turnover. 1!!!!! Are you kidding me? That is just so good, and all made multiple huge plays during the game.

King and Hunt have been unreal. They are exactly what we needed and have obviously been massive additions for us. Guard play is everything in college basketball. You can't win without quality guard play, and these 2 are playing off the charts good at both ends. And, you can just see Hunt's leadership show up throughout the games.

Everyone knows I was critical of Dji for 3 years on here, but the guy is just playing great right now, and gives us a little bit of everything at both ends of the court each game. I am really impressed with how he has hung in there through the tough times, with lots of lower minute games and inconsistent minutes his first few years. Even this year, as a 4th year guy, he wasn't starting at the beginning, but you could tell he kept a good attitude and started making such positive impacts out there, he turned himself into a 30+ minute player that you want on the court. I could not be happier for him ( and for SDad).

Bigs continues to rebound like crazy out there, and I really feel like that rallies the team. After guarding hard for 20 some seconds, it nice to see those defensive possessions rewarded with the Bigs rebounds. His shots were off, but he still played a great game, and made a huge 3 and a ton of key FTs.

Quinn battles his tail off out there, and I doubt anyone else this year will shut Holmes down like he did. And, his 1st half scoring saved us.

We got some needed scoring from Roche and I like what our 4 man bench brings, but our 5 starters are all playing at a very high level right now. Let's keep this thing going!!!
Well Grambling did it.

But they did it by allowing the rest of Dayton to take a 62-27 lead.😉
Glad we didn’t try that.

Reactions: gcarter52
Game and atmosphere last night were among the most memorable have seen at Robins Center. Get tears in my eyes watching the students storm the court. My God, we have ragged on you for years for seeming indifference to our sports programs. Kudos to you on this one! Have restored my trust in Spider spirit.

Proud to be a Spider everyday, but today is special - Damned Proud!

Keep it rolling!

The refs were so bad last night. First half was good— they were letting them play. Second half was almost unwatchable.
I cant think of another game where the refs decided to do a 360 flip in strategy at halftime. Totally amateurish. I think they got a call from HQ because it was a nationally televised game. Or maybe a bigwig had the Over, lol

One of the more memorable student chants in Spider history was against VCU as they were handing us our butts on the court...

"That's alright
That's OK
You (pointing to VCU fans) are going to work for us (pointing at self) some day."

Arrogant. Cheeky...but funny. And VCU had it coming....still do.

Watching on my android phone.

ipad says I can only sign in on cbssn with fios. Not sling, Hulu, youtube, philo, or fubo.
and then must use a credit card other than visa, Mastercard, or discover, for $0 charge…
Paying $500 a month for regular cable plus every single streaming thing my kids request is worth it so I don't have do deal with this shit on gameday.

Great win last night! Also, had a great time sitting in Section 9. Thank you for being so welcoming and bring the intensity all game!

The guys showed out last night, and I love that this team is leading it with defense. Sure, it can make for some ugly stretches when the offense isn’t clicking/shots aren’t falling, but defense travels and it totally put Dayton off.

Also, that’s the most electric I’ve seen the Robin’s center. I kept making note of the stark difference of the BC game atmosphere up in Boston vs how a real basketball school handles things. Great experience and great win!
Great meeting you last night …

Reactions: nathanw19
I can't remember the last time the RC was rocking and rolling like THAT, things sure felt different on that familiar walk back to the car. The nagging voice in the back of my head can't help but ask why we couldn't have been playing like this all season and be ranked and/or firmly in the NCAA discussion but keep piling up the wins and we will see where it takes us!

I can't remember the last time the RC was rocking and rolling like THAT, things sure felt different on that familiar walk back to the car. The nagging voice in the back of my head can't help but ask why we couldn't have been playing like this all season and be ranked and/or firmly in the NCAA discussion but keep piling up the wins and we will see where it takes us!
Hunt was hurt. Had to start a freshman, who played admirably, but we are a different team since then.

Excited to se what this team can accomplish!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT