ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton White-Out Game (Mens) Thread 6pm Sat 1/27 CBSSN

Hey, Mooney deserves a lot of credit this season. There are plenty of teams out there with really talented/highly ranked players that have not done much. I think if you went by HS and portal rankings, we are probably not in the very top tier in the A10. But also he gets the blame in past years when we underachieved, like last year. But you do need the talent. I think DLo and Harris really are two linchpins that I was not counting on, or accounting for this year. I was thinking they were more roster fillers when we missed out on other guys like Brown and Maddox. But, they both play their role really well, both athletic, tough minded and play D. I love some Tyne, and he has exceeded my expectations this season, however DLo is an experienced player that impacts the game and makes a difference being on the court.

all of that, plus adding an alpha PG in King.
and some of our returning players upped their games more than any of us could have expected. Isaiah and Dji in particular. both have monsterous improvements to their eFG% this year.

Reactions: urfan1
I know Sweet Caroline is a classic and has become a sporting event staple, and it was cool to see the crowd getting so into it....BUT that was not the time for a song like that. There were like 2 minutes or less left in a ridiculously exciting and close game. The music should have been something to get everyone amped up during the timeout, not singing kumbaya together. Just IMO.
Agree. SweetCaroline is fine, but not at that time. Last year they played "Thunderstruck" at crunch time. Bring it back!

I know Sweet Caroline is a classic and has become a sporting event staple, and it was cool to see the crowd getting so into it....BUT that was not the time for a song like that. There were like 2 minutes or less left in a ridiculously exciting and close game. The music should have been something to get everyone amped up during the timeout, not singing kumbaya together. Just IMO.
BRING BACK THE ROWDY RUN!!!

I will die on that hill that was the best tradition we had, it suites our rhetoric of Giant Killers, IDK why we got rid of it, but it needs to come back.

(For the younger ones on here, at the final official timeout of the game, the pep band plays the Rocky theme song while one of the Richmond Rowdies runs across the court from the student section all the way to the top of the vomitorium on the other side and spells out R-I-C-H-M-O-N-D then screams RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND as the crowd chants along with him.)

IIRC we stopped it sometime during the Wainwright era, I believe.

To those in the athletic department reading this, its never too late to bring it back.

Sweet Caroline is always a winner for fan participation. the song is 55 years old, so everybody knows it.

Reactions: mr.spider
Sweet Caroline is always a winner for fan participation. the song is 55 years old, so everybody knows it.

It's a good song but it's become too ubiquitous imo losing some luster. It's leafy. It's safe. We probably don't have the ability to be original yet so I get why we'd want anything that encourages a reaction. But I agree that some AC/DC feels more appropriate for that moment.

Yeah, I mean it's a minor complaint I guess, but I just know that in that moment, I was riled up and I think a lot of people were. I wanted something to get me even more riled up, not put me to sleep. Play Sweet Caroline in the first half. Save the end-of-game slot for something energizing and loud.

It's a good song but it's become too ubiquitous imo losing some luster. It's leafy. It's safe. We probably don't have the ability to be original yet so I get why we'd want anything that encourages a reaction. But I agree that some AC/DC feels more appropriate for that moment.
Seemed like a weird choice given the circumstances to me as well. Although I must say I don’t know when Sweet Caroline is appropriate either. Sure people know how to respond, but I am not sure what said response is achieving. I suppose that it is why it is safe and leafy…

Yeah, I mean it's a minor complaint I guess, but I just know that in that moment, I was riled up and I think a lot of people were. I wanted something to get me even more riled up, not put me to sleep. Play Sweet Caroline in the first half. Save the end-of-game slot for something energizing and loud.
Good points. I could see moving its timing. Not sure why it became a song for sporting events to begin with, but it is fun and gets people into it, which is a good thing.

The West Virginia football home game version of Sweet Caroline could be a different twist…on second thought maybe not.

The West Virginia football home game version of Sweet Caroline could be a different twist…on second thought maybe not.

WVA is still struggling with the realization John Denver was singing about western VIRGINIA not West Virginia in Take Me Home, Country Roads. He had never even set foot in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT