ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Game Thread - Sat 7pm - MASN/ESPN+

We've held opponents below their averages from their other games (excluding non-DI) in 7 out of 11 games. VMI, BC, Wichita, and UNI are the exceptions. (As always, presuming I didn't screw up the math anywhere.)

VMI: 42.1% vs. 29.7% in other games
Siena: 20.0% vs. 24.5% in other games
BC: 38.9% vs. 33.8% in other games
Colorado: 30.0% vs. 40.4% in other games
UNLV: 28.0% vs. 35.2% in other games
Queens: 25.0% vs. 32.2% in other games
Wichita: 33.3% vs. 31.7% in other games
W&M: 34.5% vs. 35.3% in other games
UNI: 41.4% vs. 35.9% in other games
Florida: 31.0% vs. 32.3% in other games
Charlotte: 28.6% vs. 31.1% in other games
And the bolded games are the ones so many here seem to think the overall outcome should have been different.

I'm not sure I agree with the philosophy, but I think I finally get it. this isn't something new ... and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

we do overhelp on the weak side. we run to help from there to the inside to challenge all inside shots. it clearly leaves the opposite corner open, so then we're in scramble mode, rotating and replacing. the current lineup is fast on the perimeter but guys will still get open shots. we try to challenge all shots (hence the Flying Dutchmens), but I think Mooney prefers giving up a 3 rather than anything easy inside.

I wish it was more tailored to who we leave open out there. it looks brutal when they're hitting shots. definitely worked against Charlotte though.
Yes, clearly it is intentional as we have been doing it for at least the past 2 years. In this day and age, leaving guys wide open for 3's seems like a poor strategy to me. Yeah, it might not hurts us playing teams like VMI & Queens, but when we are playing good teams with good shooters, that is a different story. Much like our offensive rebounding strategy to prevent fast breaks, seems more like a solution in search of a problem that goes against all conventional wisdom of good sound man defense.

The only players that has some defensive liability is Roche and Noyes this year. I think Dji, Tynne, and Neil are all plus defenders. Jordan and Bigelow are both really solid as well.

Reactions: Eight Legger
97, I can let a rare "Neil" slide once in a while, but you're killing me with the regular "Tynne" misspellings. 😀 😬

Reactions: spider3309
97, I can let a rare "Neil" slide once in a while, but you're killing me with the regular "Tynne" misspellings. 😀 😬
Lol, you should hear me pronounce his name. Michael Tin. His actual name is so much cooler. And I actually had to look up how to spell his name because I've misspelled it so frequently. Perhaps, he would consider changing it, that might be easier at this point:)

Lol, you should hear me pronounce his name. Michael Tin. His actual name is so much cooler. And I actually had to look up how to spell his name because I've misspelled it so frequently. Perhaps, he would consider changing it, that might be easier at this point:)
I’d love to hear how you pronounced Sal’s full name lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT