ADVERTISEMENT

GMU Game Thread - Robins 6pm Sat ESPN+

Solid win. Mason got really aggressive after being down big. Seemed like we let them have way to many offensive rebounds during that run. Got way to close and still can't understand why we don't use timeouts to break opponents momentum, but we've had that discussion in here already. Huge FTs from Dji and the team got the W. Good A10 game for sure and the Spiders won.

That was another fun one. I’m not even upset that we blew a big lead because we weren’t going to win by 20 or anything. They came back like I figured they would but we did enough to hold them off. King is amazing, Dji was clutch, we overcame some questionable non-calls down the stretch and got another W, which is all that matters.
Agree to all you said.

I had a feeling at halftime this would come down to last couple minutes. Incredible first half, and King put on a clinic. If that’s not a first team A10 performance, I don’t know what is.

This was a hard fought physical win over a really good GMU team. They are talented. This is 2 good home wins in a row over much better teams than OOC teams we whipped up on. Want to see this consistency on the road.

Rarely do I comment on officiating, but I thought we were on the short end of too many calls tonight. Seems the officials lost control of the game. Question - what was the several minute delay at about 18:00 minute in second half. Seems like the refs had conferences, went to scorer’s table, talked to coaches? What was the issue?

Agree to all you said.

I had a feeling at halftime this would come down to last couple minutes. Incredible first half, and King put on a clinic. If that’s not a first team A10 performance, I don’t know what is.

This was a hard fought physical win over a really good GMU team. They are talented. This is 2 good home wins in a row over much better teams than OOC teams we whipped up on. Want to see this consistency on the road.

Rarely do I comment on officiating, but I thought we were on the short end of too many calls tonight. Seems the officials lost control of the game. Question - what was the several minute delay at about 18:00 minute in second half. Seems like the refs had conferences, went to scorer’s table, talked to coaches? What was the issue?
Refs were confused on # of fouls on Kelly .. other than that crazy delay I didn't have much of an issue with calls tonight ..

Question - what was the several minute delay at about 18:00 minute in second half. Seems like the refs had conferences, went to scorer’s table, talked to coaches? What was the issue?
The ref initially called a foul in #2 and then changed it to #23. Then they had to have multiple discussions and even a video review to still be confused and then finally rule that the foul was indeed on #2.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
That call at the end that they changed to be OOB on Hunt was the right call but the reason it was out of bounds on him was because the Mason guy fouled him in an attempt to get the ball. Of course they didn’t call that.

Reactions: urfan1
I tend to get to the game early and was worried about crowd size at 540 .. but Robins filled up so nicely .. students were arriving back at campus today and a fair amount trudged through the snow to get to Robins .. loud and energetic crowd that ultimately silenced the annoying Green and Yellow dressed people sitting mainly in section 8.

I tend to get to the game early and was worried about crowd size at 540 .. but Robins filled up so nicely .. students were arriving back at campus today and a fair amount trudged through the snow to get to Robins .. loud and energetic crowd that ultimately silenced the annoying Green and Yellow dressed people sitting mainly in section 8.
Snow?

Reactions: Spiderwiz
I dont think GM is any good despite their record. Will probably win 7-8 games in league. Lost to a terrible VCU team at home.
Spiders won but again limped to the finish line. Wouldnt it be nice to increase a lead late and occasionally blow a bad team out once in a while instead of barely hanging on and hoping the other team misses shots?
Its a win and its 3-0. Go Spiders!!

That call at the end that they changed to be OOB on Hunt was the right call but the reason it was out of bounds on him was because the Mason guy fouled him in an attempt to get the ball. Of course they didn’t call that.
Disagree. The mason guy clearly pushed the ball out of bounds. And certainly not enough to overturn it.

Reactions: mr.spider
Mason fouled the crap out of King at mid-court, stole the ball and scored a dunk at the other end of the court. Mason really increased the defensive effort in the 2nd half. That pressure hurt our performance down the stretch. I really thought we were going to lose the game after an epic collapse

Good win, Good crowd, Fairly good turnout of GMU fans as well. Not sold on GMU as a top 4 A10 team, but the league is all over the place this year.
I guess at halftime GMU decided that someone should guard King if they were going to have a chance at winning, and the Spiders D was able to stop GMU from getting anything going.

Great game but wow sometimes we embarrass ourselves in a way that is decidedly "un-Richmond" like but is sadly becoming more so. On the corner scoreboards, the answer to the trivia question used the word "roudn" in the answer.

There is ZERO excuse for this level of public sloppiness.

I tend to get to the game early and was worried about crowd size at 540 .. but Robins filled up so nicely ..
I’m there early also and wondered where the crowd was too up to nearly tip. I later realized it was a Bucket and Brews night, so that event must have been well attended. Glad to see the student section also filled up and I guess they could have been at the dining hall beforehand.

I’m there early also and wondered where the crowd was too up to nearly tip. I later realized it was a Bucket and Brews night, so that event must have been well attended. Glad to see the student section also filled up and I guess they could have been at the dining hall beforehand.
yeah students were moving back into dorms yesterday and today .. so first real games with students fully back won't be until the next set of home games 10 days or so from now.

Reactions: urfan1
I dont think GM is any good despite their record. Will probably win 7-8 games in league. Lost to a terrible VCU team at home.
Spiders won but again limped to the finish line. Wouldnt it be nice to increase a lead late and occasionally blow a bad team out once in a while instead of barely hanging on and hoping the other team misses shots?
Its a win and its 3-0. Go Spiders!!
disagree I think GM will make some noise, we went cold at end and they got hot, but our guys fought through.

Mason had me worried at the start of the game, they looked longer and more athletic all around. King's outbreak really energized the team and crowd it looked like. Guessing that was his mom they showed dancing and high fiving Mr. and Mrs. Spiderdad. She was enjoying the performance., as was everyone.

Mooney was animated early too. Pete Thomas and moon were really giving it to the ref on a seemingly bad foul call on Dlo. Which resulted in the ref calling a push off on the inbound. Nice to know Curtis Blair still watching our games. When Bob suggested it was a makeup call he said he got a text from their referee friend saying they don't do that :). Beck doxxed Curtis as the texter.

Mooney was animated early too. Pete Thomas and moon were really giving it to the ref on a seemingly bad foul call on Dlo. Which resulted in the ref calling a push off on the inbound. Nice to know Curtis Blair still watching our games. When Bob suggested it was a makeup call he said he got a text from their referee friend saying they don't do that :). Beck doxxed Curtis as the texter.
Classic classic makeup call

Mason had me worried at the start of the game, they looked longer and more athletic all around. King's outbreak really energized the team and crowd it looked like. Guessing that was his mom they showed dancing and high fiving Mr. and Mrs. Spiderdad. She was enjoying the performance., as was everyone.

Guessing that was his mom they showed dancing and high firing Mr. and Mrs. Spiderdad. She was enjoying the performance., as was everyone.

That was DLos mom…she brings the energy every night, we can’t keep up 😀

Mason fouled the crap out of King at mid-court, stole the ball and scored a dunk at the other end of the court. Mason really increased the defensive effort in the 2nd half. That pressure hurt our performance down the stretch. I really thought we were going to lose the game after an epic collapse
How many times must the guys show you that they are not the soft teams of the past, they are a resilient team that will never give up. They refuse to lose!
disagree I think GM will make some noise, we went cold at end and they got hot, but our guys fought through.
I agree with the player who said that we took our foot off the pedal after racing out to that double digit lead. Some of you fell to realize that we quickly moving from the hunter to hunted mode. We are winning these games regardless so support them instead of finding every single way to criticize! #Go Spiders 🕷️🕸️💐🎉

Yeah, Moon was in vintage form arguing 2 calls, one on Dji and one on Dlo. Both were garbage calls, those refs were not great. Bad calls went both ways IMO, so evened out. The overturn late was egregious, there was not enough to overturn. But the last foul on GooMoos that Dji drew, was not a lot there either. Again refs were not great.

One thing ref-wise that I thought impacted the game - GooMoos got called for 5 team fouls in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half, Spiders zero. That was bound to even out, bc refs hear it from the coach in the deficit, and it did even out at 7-7 much later on. Somehow they only committed 2 more fouls in like 12m of game action? Nah. But that affected how the game was called and fed the GooMoo comeback a bit as well.

Spiders shot really well from 3 first half, and then made a few early in 2nd half. When that cooled off, the post up plans with Neal didn't exactly pay dividends. Between cooled down 3 point shooting and some poor turnovers, was a cold stretch for UR on offense. Need to solve those and figure out what the playcalling is to stem the droughts. If Neal post ups are going to be the play call as run-stoppers, he has to deliver a bit more IMO.

Great win though - you gotta face and overcome adversity even in games where things are going well, King was unconscious. Hope they keep that chip on their shoulder and work out the offensive drought issues.

Refs had some not so shining moments. The amount of time the game was delayed at the start of the second half supposedly to sort out the number of fouls on Kelly was unnecessary. And the GM coach got his way when he wanted a time out - we already had the ball in play - and the GM entourage poured onto the court - the ref waved them back, they ignored it. That was when King was visibly unhappy which was understandable.

Reactions: whampas
Refs had some not so shining moments. The amount of time the game was delayed at the start of the second half supposedly to sort out the number of fouls on Kelly was unnecessary. And the GM coach got his way when he wanted a time out - we already had the ball in play - and the GM entourage poured onto the court - the ref waved them back, they ignored it. That was when King was visibly unhappy which was understandable.
That should have been a technical, then, if bench players entered the court without a timeout granted.

Reactions: spider fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT