ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Game Thread - Sat 7pm - MASN/ESPN+

Dji, Bigelow, Tyne and Quinn playing tough! When we play aggressive, we look good. This team is capable of March Madness. Too bad we dropped a few important winnable games early.

These refs don’t have a clue. Hope the refs forcing King out of the game and giving Charlotte free throws after we got a stop doesn’t come back to haunt us.

Dji, Bigelow, Tyne and Quinn playing tough! When we play aggressive, we look good. This team is capable of March Madness. Too bad we dropped a few important winnable games early.
As a Spider fan in all sports, glad we remain in the running for a "real" championship.

I mean, they are a top 100 team. We played pretty good defense on them tonight.
I mean, I guess they did beat George Mason.and Maine. That's it as far as teams with winning records. #25 had the ball in his hands too much. I did like the Spiders pressing some.
The highlight of the game for me was when some dude in front of me fell on a lady's head two rows in front of him.
Not something you see everyday.

Dji did so many things not on stat line tonight, may have been his best game as a Spider. Altering passes and drives, deflecting passes and rebounds. very tight D. Well done young man!
Agree. He looked really good out there....made a very positive impact throughout the game.

Reactions: mr.spider
Thanks to taking care of the ball again, and playing real good defense, we won despite going 3-17 from 3. Let's not try to do that again because as good as our defense looks, we can't expect to hold teams in the 50s most games, especially in conference play. But, other than 3 point shooting, real good game tonight with a lot of guys playing well.

Dji played tough and I am sure he is feeling it this morning. May need a flak jacket next game /s

Tyne continues to figure out the college game. A player that is fun to watch.

Bigelow was ready to play, especially at the start, which was much needed as the team in general looked like it was still focused on finals. I was somewhat surprised that he kept being pulled out of the game. Do you think it was because of bad shot selection on the offensive end? He definitely took some bad looking ones.

Glad Charlotte was not a good 3 pt shooting team because they had the openings and took the shots. Made 10 of course which was plenty, but missed a bunch too.

Overall, I thought it was an ugly game and you have to win those especially at home. Next couple home games I expect to see full team participation and hopefully we see rotations other than the starting five that have some chemistry. The first substitutions in the first half last night did not go well.

Not sure what the coach said during the timeout with 4:54 left in the first half, but we out scored them by 19 the rest of the game. This was a very solid win at a critical part of the season, when they needed to prove they could beat a top 100 opponent. Now we are going to need to take it to the next level once A10 play starts.

Reactions: urfan1
I mean, I guess they did beat George Mason.and Maine. That's it as far as teams with winning records. #25 had the ball in his hands too much. I did like the Spiders pressing some.
The highlight of the game for me was when some dude in front of me fell on a lady's head two rows in front of him.
Not something you see everyday.
I’m not sure we can tell yet. Let’s see who finishes higher in the American, Temple or Charlotte…

Was a weird first half. Spiders started well on defense, poorly on offense and then missed 3 FTs that could have padded out the lead. Then Charlotte made 3 quick hoops and an 8-0 run gave them the lead, despite having played an awful game to that point. Spiders were lethargic when the starting group was not in there, the combos of sub plus starters did NOT click at all last night in the first half. Then when starters played last 5m of first half, boom, huge 15-0 run (that extended to 20-0 in 2nd half) and never trailed again. Defense was forcing turnovers and Tyne’s hyperspeed play really made things work on offense in transition and semi-transition. I’d love to see more of that pace pushing the ball up after stops, think it opens up so much immediately.

Second half was mostly in control but would have liked to have seen a better close out late.

Nitpicks: Dji’s elbow on fts still way out to the right. His motion is now all wrist. It’s gotta change. He made the 2 late when they intentionally fouled him bc he was 12-27 on the year. That’s sub Cayo at his worst by a margin. It did not cost UR last night but that is a sample of 1, next time could be different story. Need him on the court late but has to be able to make fts.

Wasn’t sure why Walz was in and King, Quinn both on bench in a 5 point game with under 4 left. King’s foul trouble is moot at that point in game.

Lots of open looks from 3 in first half for Charlotte. I wasn't sure on the hedge / help strategy we had, seemed overaggressive again at times. I do think Hunt should help there at point of attack but they got good looks for about 10m straight.

Positives: a timeout after other team’s run! Spiders responded wirh a 15-0 run. Yes, I believe the TO reset the team and allowed a needed break. Down 11 to up 4.

Solid win, needed. Gotta win next 2 and then keep it rolling into league.

Dji was awesome this game. Also thought Tynne had a really impressive game. His speed and fearlessness as a freshman are impressive. Defense was impressive.

Two areas of improvement: We are a much better team when we are not shooting an insane amount of 3 balls. With the exception of Roche, every other player on this team is a better scorer when they are not shooting 3's. Hopefully, we can navigate our offense to the strengths of the players moving forward.

Our help side defense defending the 3 is horrendous. Way too many flying Dutchman's off the help side, sometimes multiple guys, very easy for the other team to make a quick extra pass to a guy really wide open. Rest of our defense is solid, but need to tweak the help side defense.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Dji was awesome this game. Also thought Tynne had a really impressive game. His speed and fearlessness as a freshman are impressive. Defense was impressive.

Two areas of improvement: We are a much better team when we are not shooting an insane amount of 3 balls. With the exception of Roche, every other player on this team is a better scorer when they are not shooting 3's. Hopefully, we can navigate our offense to the strengths of the players moving forward.

Our help side defense defending the 3 is horrendous. Way too many flying Dutchman's off the help side, sometimes multiple guys, very easy for the other team to make a quick extra pass to a guy really wide open. Rest of our defense is solid, but need to tweak the help side defense.

I agree, I don't like the fact that our guys who are more than one pass away are so deep which allows those looks for the other team. For me that's the only issue I have defensively, we just get too deep.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
I agree and was ready to post about our poor defense after the game ... but then realized we gave up just 56, lol.

I'm not sure I agree with the philosophy, but I think I finally get it. this isn't something new ... and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

we do overhelp on the weak side. we run to help from there to the inside to challenge all inside shots. it clearly leaves the opposite corner open, so then we're in scramble mode, rotating and replacing. the current lineup is fast on the perimeter but guys will still get open shots. we try to challenge all shots (hence the Flying Dutchmens), but I think Mooney prefers giving up a 3 rather than anything easy inside.

I wish it was more tailored to who we leave open out there. it looks brutal when they're hitting shots. definitely worked against Charlotte though.

Opponents are shooting 31.6% from deep against us, compared to a D-I average of 33.2% and good for 107th in the country according to KenPom.

Absolutely agree that we've gotten burned quite a bit on those weak side threes and would like to see if we can tighten that up some, but overall we're doing pretty well on defending the three.

I would be interested in seeing the 3 point percentage of our opponents in all other games vs their percentage against us.

We've held opponents below their averages from their other games (excluding non-DI) in 7 out of 11 games. VMI, BC, Wichita, and UNI are the exceptions. (As always, presuming I didn't screw up the math anywhere.)

VMI: 42.1% vs. 29.7% in other games
Siena: 20.0% vs. 24.5% in other games
BC: 38.9% vs. 33.8% in other games
Colorado: 30.0% vs. 40.4% in other games
UNLV: 28.0% vs. 35.2% in other games
Queens: 25.0% vs. 32.2% in other games
Wichita: 33.3% vs. 31.7% in other games
W&M: 34.5% vs. 35.3% in other games
UNI: 41.4% vs. 35.9% in other games
Florida: 31.0% vs. 32.3% in other games
Charlotte: 28.6% vs. 31.1% in other games

ADVERTISEMENT