ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte Game Thread - Sat 7pm - MASN/ESPN+

Ha, was just about to start a thread - was surprised to see the game is tomorrow. I think lack of discussion about this game on here is indicative of the oomph factor - that is looking so good in the bad games and then losing 4 out of 5 vs the decent teams on our schedule so far. After this game, two games against terrible teams in Buffalo and Lafayette. We should be 8-5 going into a HUGE A10 opener vs Bona. If I recall, Moon has a pretty good record vs Schmidt. Hoping he doesnt give them 3 days shooting practice in the RC again this year. Schmidt definitely gamed him there.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Does Moon have a good record vs Schmidt? I seem to recall was a little below .500 against him. I think I did a breakdown of Moon’s record vs the dregs of the league and vs everyone else and Bona was a team he was slightly worse than even against, but I could be mistaken. He feasts against the dregs and is poor vs most of the better teams, that I do know.

Does Moon have a good record vs Schmidt? I seem to recall was a little below .500 against him. I think I did a breakdown of Moon’s record vs the dregs of the league and vs everyone else and Bona was a team he was slightly worse than even against, but I could be mistaken. He feasts against the dregs and is poor vs most of the better teams, that I do know.

12-13 overall but lost 8 of last 9 if I can count correctly so time to win this year ..

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, "More With Less" Schmidt has owned Mooney over the past six seasons. Before that it was Mooney Time.

While I was a big fan of Kevin Smith's basketball skills and abilities, I think the mental part of the game was where he really impacted winning. He played with an edge and brought it every minute. I wouldn't mind seeing Harris get a few more minutes. Of everyone on the team, I think Harris and Dlo probably have this mentality the most.

maybe our toughest “winnable” test of the year? By this I mean this might be the first game we’re single digit favorites Vs a being a heavy favorite or underdog. Drop this and we really stink. I’m guessing line will be Spiders -5.5

Reactions: Section9.RowD
maybe our toughest “winnable” test of the year? By this I mean this might be the first game we’re single digit favorites Vs a being a heavy favorite or underdog. Drop this and we really stink. I’m guessing line will be Spiders -5.5
Wichita State, Northern Iowa, and BC were close lines if I recall.

Ha, was just about to start a thread - was surprised to see the game is tomorrow. I think lack of discussion about this game on here is indicative of the oomph factor - that is looking so good in the bad games and then losing 4 out of 5 vs the decent teams on our schedule so far. After this game, two games against terrible teams in Buffalo and Lafayette. We should be 8-5 going into a HUGE A10 opener vs Bona. If I recall, Moon has a pretty good record vs Schmidt. Hoping he doesnt give them 3 days shooting practice in the RC again this year. Schmidt definitely gamed him there.
Honestly, I don't think we have any wins against decent teams. UNLV unfortunately isn't good. 200+ NET when I checked the other day. All of the other victories are 300+ in the NET I believe.

Reactions: ManiBenton
Honestly, I don't think we have any wins against decent teams. UNLV unfortunately isn't good. 200+ NET when I checked the other day. All of the other victories are 300+ in the NET I believe.

Not sure how good they are but did you check their NET after beating Creighton by 15?

Reactions: gcarter52
We were a small underdog against all of Wichita, UNI, and BC. Even UNLV.

Nice piece on Kevin Smith coming back to town.

My freshman or sophomore year at Richmond, I was playing pickup basketball at the Weinstein Center when Kevin Smith walked in and asked if he could jump in a game (he was on the staff at this point, 2014 or 2015). Thankfully he ended up on my team. Early in the game, I had the ball on a fast break and I saw him running ahead on my right and pointing to the sky. I threw up the worst alley-oop pass of all time, but he reached way back behind his head to grab it and threw it down. Made me feel like Chris Paul running the show for the Lob City Clippers 😂.

Never saw him again after that. Won't ever forget that memory!

Dude has enough dunks just against GW to put together a highlight reel.

you're right we haven't won a game through the Quad 1- Quad 3 range.

Smitty had a great series of dunks against Virginia Tech, I believe his sophomore year. Some of my favorite of his dunks, can't seem to find them on You Tube anymore.

Also what happened to the Spider TV replays after each game of our highlights. That was always a good watch.

Also what happened to the Spider TV replays after each game of our highlights. That was always a good watch.
We've done highlights for all of our home games so far.

I think one issue is that ESPN or whoever is airing holds the rights to broadcast footage, so we have to use non-aired camera angles or something for our own highlight videos, which is difficult to do on the road where we're not the ones taking the footage.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Smitty had a great series of dunks against Virginia Tech, I believe his sophomore year.
Yep, back when Moon had his mojo too. I recall the Va Tech game. Tech was starting to impose will / go on a run - and drum roll.......Mooney called a time out. Even apparently drew up the play for a pick on Smitty's man and Gonzo tossed him the oop for a monster slam. And just like that, we had the momentum back. SEEEEEEE, sometimes those TO's do work. And work even better if you draw up a nice play to get a score. Hmmmmmmmm.

Yep, back when Moon had his mojo too. I recall the Va Tech game. Tech was starting to impose will / go on a run - and drum roll.......Mooney called a time out. Even apparently drew up the play for a pick on Smitty's man and Gonzo tossed him the oop for a monster slam. And just like that, we had the momentum back. SEEEEEEE, sometimes those TO's do work. And work even better if you draw up a nice play to get a score. Hmmmmmmmm.
We aren't allowed to talk about that!
giphy.gif

Yeah, that type of play probably lacks the "fluidity" or flow we are looking for now.

you remember timeouts and plays called or not called from a dozen years ago???
I can't remember what I did last weekend!

you remember timeouts and plays called or not called from a dozen years ago???
I can't remember what I did last weekend!
Let me help with that. You probably watched a basketball game where one team was relentless on the offensive boards while the other team turned and ran away from the action. You asked yourself, why? But had no answer. You became confused, you thought you understood the game but obviously not like the Wizard of Westham. As the weekend wore on you kept shaking your head and decided that you're 55% sure it was just a dream. No one would do that.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
We don’t play baseline or corner defense at all. Baseline drive to corner three is money against us every game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT