ADVERTISEMENT

BEAT IOWA!

I read the Iowa Rivals link that someone here posted. In their minds, they’ve already blown past us. Their talk is next rounds into Final Four. Only a few comments posted about UR and not much concern on their part. These are fans that need to be shown an early exit Thursday scratching their heads.

Congrats Spiderdad. I know with the injuries the season has not turned out personally how you and Dji would like, but appreciate your Fandom despite that. Have enjoyed having you on the board. Let's keep winning.
Appreciate that…I love basketball and eventually these tough times for Dji will end and dare I say brighter days ahead 😉😂 If we can knock out Iowa I like our side in next round. 🕷🏀

Iowa, way more offense than defense. We will have to outscore them. If we're on our game and keep it close late, we have a chance. We're playing loose and with house money. If it's close late I've got to think they will tighten up. Crowd will be on our side because we're the dog. I'm hoping all of Canada shows up to cheer their boys.
#2 offense behind Gonzaga, and predicted to score 81…

I read the Iowa Rivals link that someone here posted. In their minds, they’ve already blown past us. Their talk is next rounds into Final Four. Only a few comments posted about UR and not much concern on their part. These are fans that need to be shown an early exit Thursday scratching their heads.
Arrogance is the number 1 weakness in March. God I hope Richmond serves them up a dish of horse manure. They have the capability.

Spiders are little different than most teams in how we approach the game. Over emphasize some aspects and under emphasize others IMO. Nevertheless, if you haven't seen or played us before, it can be disconcerting. Thought we had a good chance to win today. Believe even a better chance Thursday.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Iowa played 4 games in 4 days as well, and I am sure they would much rather play on Friday, same as Richmond. Just dropped by to pay my respects and hope for a great game.
we welcome respectful posters, come back any time; certainly the Hawks will be favored but I like the focus our guys are showing and playing pretty loose right now

NUMBERNAMEPOSITIONHEIGHTWEIGHTCLASSHOMETOWNHIGH SCHOOLPREVIOUS SCHOOLTWITTERINSTAGRAM
44Riley MulveyC6-11245 lbs.Fr.Rotterdam, N.Y.St. Thomas More@MulveyRiley
30Connor McCafferyG6-5205 lbs.RS Sr.Iowa City, IowaWest@connor_m30@connor_m30
25Luc LaketaHear how to pronounce Luc LaketaG6-4180 lbs.Fr.Concord, Mich.Hanover HortonWinchendon (MA)@LaketaLuc
24Kris MurrayF6-8225 lbs.So.Cedar Rapids, IowaPrairie/DME Sports Academy (FL)@KrisMurray24
23Josh OgundeleHear how to pronounce Josh OgundeleF6-11265 lbs.So.London, EnglandWorcester Academy@damijosh2047@joshhogundele
22Patrick McCafferyF6-9200 lbs.RS So.Iowa City, IowaWest@patrickmccaff22
20Payton SandfortG6-7215 lbs.Fr.Waukee, IowaWaukee@Payton_20_@Payton.20_
15Keegan MurrayF6-8225 lbs.So.Cedar Rapids, IowaPrairie/DME Sports Academy (FL)@keegan3murray
14Carter KingsburyG6-4225 lbs.Fr.Ponca, Neb.Brewster Academy (NH)@CarterKingsbury@carterkingsbury
13Austin AshG6-3180 lbs.RS Sr.Cedar Rapids, IowaMount Vernon@upsideash
11Tony PerkinsG6-4210 lbs.So.Indianapolis, Ind.Lawrence North@Saucy___T
4Ahron UlisHear how to pronounce Ahron UlisG6-3195 lbs.So.Chicago Heights, Ill.Marian Catholic@AhronUlis
3Jordan BohannonG6-1175 lbs.RS Sr.Marion, IowaLinn-Mar@JordanBo_3
2Joe ToussaintHear how to pronounce Joe ToussaintG6-0190 lbs.Jr.Bronx, N.Y.Cardinal Hayes@jtoussaint_2
0Filip RebracaHear how to pronounce Filip RebracaF6-9

Last edited:
I expect a very physical game from Iowa. They are tall and strong. I see them as a better version of St. Louis. It will be a tough match-up for us.

Reactions: urfan1
My Hoo son, a season ticket holder and a very good judge of basketball, saw Iowa take down UVA by a point in late November. Sees a lot of Spider games too. He believes we are easily capable of beating Iowa.

I'm going with my family and my Spider family. We will get this done! (He believes we win the second game too).
Greetings Spiders. Should be a fun game Thursday afternoon. It‘ll be interesting to see who recovers better after such a short turnaround.

One note on the UVA reference. That was a good early road win for our guys, but this team has improved by leaps and bounds since then. The team that beat UVA would have struggled to win a game in the B1G tourney. Good luck this week.

The twins on Iowa are a concern for me. They’re both great players. One is better than the other.

CBS has us at #53 of 68, an says this about Iowa:

15team logo
Iowa
A year after getting a No. 2 seed with national player of the year Luka Garza, the Iowa Hawkeyes have put up a season beyond anyone's expectations. Keegan Murray has been at a First Team All-American level. Murray's 103 points in the Big Ten Tournament set a league record, as Iowa won its first Big Ten tourney title since 2006. How hot are the Hawkeyes? They now rate as the No. 2 offense in the nation. Murray might play his way into being a top-five pick. Who's to say if this end-of-season run will absolutely translate to the NCAAs, but it's hard to see Iowa not making the Sweet 16 at minimum with how it's looked in recent weeks. Fran McCaffery might have pulled off his best coaching job ever

They don't seed based on NET
No, but they kinda sorta set the line on KenPom, and NET is kinda sorta similar to KenPom.

Anyway, we will see who are the biggest and smallest underdogs seeded 10 to 13…

Last edited:
Hey. They beat UVA by a point who is far from great this year. They are not giants. Play smart. Play our game. We beat them.
Lol that game was in November. Iowa has changed lineups, established roles and gelled in the months since then. Plus, Richmond would be elated to win by 1 at UVA. Don’t act like it’s no big deal

Reactions: Ebby Mcflowerton
we welcome respectful posters, come back any time; certainly the Hawks will be favored but I like the focus our guys are showing and playing pretty loose right now
I have to admit, I know nothing about the Richmond Spiders basketball team, other then they made the NCAA's before as that is the only reason I have heard of them. Being an Iowa fan and belonging to the Iowa Rivals board, I know that some of the fans will take the game lightly, and they shouldn't because every year the big ten gets tons of recognition as being the toughest conference in the Country, then they proceed to lay turds on courts all around the country in the tournament. I know if Iowa plays as they are capable, they are very good, then again, I have seen a couple games where they couldn't throw the ball into the ocean if they were standing on the beach, however, those were early conference games. They are not big, as 6'9 is their tallest starter, but practically everyone on the team is a good 3 point shooter. I think they made 20 3 pointers against NW in the Big Ten tournament. So, they like to run and shoot the 3. I did not come to disrespect your board, only to talk some hoops. I am to old to trash talk anymore anyway. LOL

Tell us about this 48-46 game with Rutgers. What the hell happened there?
Big Ten officials tend to be really inconsistent and allowed a really physical Rutgers team to play junk ball on their home court all game. Grabbing, hooking, over the back, etc. then decided to call a really weak foul 30 feet from the hoop with like 2 seconds left and RU won at the free throw line.
Beyond frustrating game to watch.

Guys the Hawkeyes are playing as well as anybody in the country right now. We have quickness, height, shooting ability and we can play defense for a change. We are a very good team. You could win, but you will have to play lights out and we will have to struggle big time.

I have to admit, I know nothing about the Richmond Spiders basketball team, other then they made the NCAA's before as that is the only reason I have heard of them. Being an Iowa fan and belonging to the Iowa Rivals board, I know that some of the fans will take the game lightly, and they shouldn't because every year the big ten gets tons of recognition as being the toughest conference in the Country, then they proceed to lay turds on courts all around the country in the tournament. I know if Iowa plays as they are capable, they are very good, then again, I have seen a couple games where they couldn't throw the ball into the ocean if they were standing on the beach, however, those were early conference games. They are not big, as 6'9 is their tallest starter, but practically everyone on the team is a good 3 point shooter. I think they made 20 3 pointers against NW in the Big Ten tournament. So, they like to run and shoot the 3. I did not come to disrespect your board, only to talk some hoops. I am to old to trash talk anymore anyway. LOL
We don’t play the Big Ten that often, but did beat the 2020 Wisconsin team on a neutral court with essentially the same players. And the Davidson team we played today had 6 players averaging 39 to 45% from 3.

So we can play well but have been highly inconsistent over these players 6 seasons…

Going to be a fun week … I had never been to Iowa before in the span of two weekends seeing us lose a game we should have won at Drake and then saw Gilly break the All time steals record at Northern Iowa … enjoyed both trips and the Iowans I met .. see you in Buffalo …

We don’t play the Big Ten that often, but did beat the 2020 Wisconsin team on a neutral court with essentially the same players. And the Davidson team we played today had 6 players averaging 39 to 45% from 3.

So we can play well but have been highly inconsistent over these players 6 seasons…
This is the only commonality I can find this season between Richmond and Iowa.
Richmond lost to Utah State by 11, Iowa beat Utah State by 19 on a neutral court.
Richmond lost to Maryland by 6, Iowa beat Maryland twice, by 5 at Maryland and 110-87 at Iowa City.
Iowa usually plays Drake and Northern Iowa, but did not play them this season, and I see Richmond lost to Drake by 3 and beat Northern Iowa I think by 8. Drake (24-10) and UNI (19-11) were pretty good this year , and UNI won the Missouri Valley conference regular season. Drake was in the same conference and lost to Loyola of Chicago in the Missouri Valley tournament finals. SO, those were both good teams that Richmond played and I know them both pretty well.

Last edited:
Going to be a fun week … I had never been to Iowa before in the span of two weekends seeing us lose a game we should have won at Drake and then saw Gilly break the All time steals record at Northern Iowa … enjoyed both trips and the Iowans I met .. see you in Buffalo …
I grew up in Iowa but now live in Florida, so, I am not making the trip to the frozen tundra of Buffalo, I will enjoy the game with my AC on from my couch. LOL I grew up 15 minutes drive from the Drake campus in Des Moines.

This is the only commonality I can find this season between Richmond and Iowa.
Richmond lost to Utah State by 11, Iowa beat Utah State by 19 on a neutral court.
Richmond lost to Maryland by 6, Iowa beat Maryland twice, by 5 at Maryland and 110-87 at Iowa City.
Iowa usually plays Drake and Northern Iowa, but did not play them this season, and I see Richmond lost to Drake by 3 and beat Northern Iowa I think by 8. Drake was pretty good this year (24-10), and UNI won the Missouri Valley conference (19-11). Drake was in the same conference and lost to Loyola of Chicago in the Missouri Valley tournament finals. SO, those were both good teams that Richmond played and I know them both pretty well.
Mississippi ST is the other loss. 3 home games against the 3 teams we just beat were all losses on the last shot.

I’m Utah ST, Drake, Maryland, Mississippi ST were all disappointing losses because we seemed slightly better than all of them and seemed to look like it with about 4 minutes left but not at the end.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
have to admit, I know nothing about the Richmond Spiders basketball team, other then they made the NCAA's before as that is the only reason I have heard of them.
Yes, making the NCAA's on a regular basis is something that is very critical to our hoops program and has been a big failure last ten years for our coach. If you have a couple hundred hours you could read post on this board about. We have a small contingent of fans that are OK with competing, which includes a billionaire friend of the coach. Then we have a bunch that actually think we should be dancing more often and understand the value on recruiting, morale, winning, and as you indicate overall visibility of the school. Thanks for making our point. Wild week here in spidernation for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT