ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew White Sighting...

Believe me when I say I lost interest after he transferred from KU and now Nebraska. He seems pretty self absorbed with getting a basketball education and
not a real life sustaining education. He seems to have a hard time with being satisfied with the choices he makes.

Frankly, I'd not post negative comments about a player, who chose to not come to UR. We get players who want to be here, and I could care less about anyone else.

Is it too early to go to the "I expect him to be pumping my gas at the Uppy's in Chester in 10 years" post yet?

I think he will be a great success if he transfers to a clean, well respected program like Louisville. #lifelessons

So, if he goes there, he'll get his Top 20 team, but he also play about MAYBE 20-25 minutes a night there (some played will be out of position), share shots with at least 3 guards who are are as good or better than him, and probably seal the deal that NBA teams will mark him down as a character question. Excellent choice! And this is what happens with bad parenting!

or he's right, is picking the right school, and it will help him make the NBA. he's a 41% shooter from 3. I don't think he'll have trouble getting minutes or shots at UL or anywhere next season.

Although Schadenfreude and piling onto recruits that don't sign here seem to be our most favorite exercises aside from Mooney-bashing, I guess I would say that unless you've actually met Andrew or his father, maybe it's not fair to call them bad people. You may disagree with the parenting tactic of being that involved (i.e., a helicopter), but there doesn't appear to be a question that he cares about his son and wants to help his son achieve his goal of making the NBA. I might disagree with the idea that he needed to transfer again, but I don't think it makes either of them bad people. Even the Nebraska reporter said they were nothing but polite and good.

I would also add that if playing at 3 schools in 5 years makes you a bad person (or accepting such a person makes you a classless organization), we might want to look at our own glass house first...

Not a bad family at all, just have a bad case of "little league father" problem . I have known his father for a while and thats the problem.

Reactions: urfan1
This kid gets more coverage on here than Donald Trump gets on TV. Why do
We have to hear about some "gypsy kid" every year? Who cares?

He can get all the attention on this board that he wants. But you just wait - Andrew White is going to be playing pro ball in Europe, not in the NBA.

He can get all the attention on this board that he wants. But you just wait - Andrew White is going to be playing pro ball in Europe, not in the NBA.
nothing wrong with that. no need for venom.

Hope the young man will find what it is that he is seeking. All this moving around is a far cry from the thoughts that filled my mind when I knew how blessed I was to be able to attend Richmond College for four years and earn a college degree.

can't say I'd for sure do it much different. offer from Kansas, I might take the shot. chance to be a big time player at one of the best programs around. after two years not getting much time, I'm probably not going to waste my whole college career hoping. so I transfer to another big conference program.
I don't know enough about Nebraska to say it's wrong to leave there. there are rules in place that let a grad transfer. if I felt it was in my best interest, for whatever reason, I might leave to go somewhere else too.

can't say I'd for sure do it much different. offer from Kansas, I might take the shot. chance to be a big time player at one of the best programs around. after two years not getting much time, I'm probably not going to waste my whole college career hoping. so I transfer to another big conference program.
I don't know enough about Nebraska to say it's wrong to leave there. there are rules in place that let a grad transfer. if I felt it was in my best interest, for whatever reason, I might leave to go somewhere else too.

Sure. But the alternative to taking 5 years to play 2 seasons of college basketball was to go to a school like NC State or Wake Forest or Georgetown ... or Richmond, play all 4 years, go to 2-3 NCAA tournaments, make lifelong relationships, make the all conference team a couple times ... and get bypassed by a bunch of unproven Europeans in the NBA draft.

Instead, he played 2 seasons ... everyone thinks he's a gypsy with an overbearing dad ... and gets bypassed by a bunch of unproven Europeans in the NBA draft.

Sure. But the alternative to taking 5 years to play 2 seasons of college basketball was to go to a school like NC State or Wake Forest or Georgetown ... or Richmond, play all 4 years, go to 2-3 NCAA tournaments, make lifelong relationships, make the all conference team a couple times ... and get bypassed by a bunch of unproven Europeans in the NBA draft.

Instead, he played 2 seasons ... everyone thinks he's a gypsy with an overbearing dad ... and gets bypassed by a bunch of unproven Europeans in the NBA draft.
Mo, exactly my sentiments. OSC

and in retrospect he might have done things differently and not gone to Kansas. I'm sure it seemed like the right idea at the time. he believed what he was sold, that he'd play there.

and in retrospect he might have done things differently and not gone to Kansas. I'm sure it seemed like the right idea at the time. he believed what he was sold, that he'd play there.

Yeah, you only go to a program like Kansas now, if you have NBA 1st round talent. That is not Andrew White.

Mooney should be using Andrew White as a recruiting pitch to every player who is tempted to by the bright lights of a big time BCS program. The grass is not always greener there and most of the time for the players we are recruiting, the grass most definitively is not.

Yeah, you only go to a program like Kansas now, if you have NBA 1st round talent. That is not Andrew White.
that seems clear now. but hard to see when you're the kid with the dream and Kansas is recruiting you. it would be a rare kid that says "thanks, but I'm not as good as you think I am". and I'm not sure you'd want that in a kid anyway.

True, but you have to some perspective on your abilities. That is also what parents are for as well to help their child realize what would be the best fit. I guess you could say hindsight is 20/20 but its nice to have some foresight to begin with so you don't have to say that when things go down the drain.

there are a TON of high school prospects that think they'll be in the NBA. and there are guys who were ranked much lower than White who improved in college and made it. I'm not shocked White thought he could (and still does), especially with Self sweet-talking him.

I prefer to see Self as the bad guy. did he really see White as a guy who'd play there, or was he just filling a late opening until he could find a better option? I bet the latter or he'd have been recruiting him earlier.

I think KU was on him for awhile but don't recall when he was offered. Regardless, he was immediately recruited right over so there wasn't any excessive loyalty offered by Self.

It is a good pitch to remind recruits to contemplate when we are up against a P5 but it's also likely that those players don't think it will happen to them.

Recruiting "over" someone is in no way a question of loyalty. When a Self takes an Andrew, there is no promise, implies or actual, that he won't recruit other players at the position. In fact, he MUST recruit other players to have a full team etc. The coach will always recruit the very best players he can. No way any coach . . . ever . . . anywhere has said - - - "I can't recruit Super Stud Point Guard because he's better than that Point Guard I recruited last year and that wouldn't be right after all the promises I made to him about how great it would be for him here at Ypsilanti State U,"

There is no recruiting "over". Who is "over" who is decided on the court. No coach will ever play a lesser player over a better player either. A Coach might have reasons he thinks Player A is better than Player B for his team when his own fans and media might think Player B is better but the coach isn't "favoring" Player A for any reason other than he thinks that Player gives him more chance to win. They want to win. Period. All players should expect the coach will absolutely TRY to recruit over them. Some will like the challenge - - others will feel entitled to something and want to "cash" that entitlement.

true for future years. you obviously have to recruit the same positions in future years. but you typically don't recruit for the same position in the same year. obviously that could be explained though, as positions aren't so set that two of the same can't play together. you can bring in a point guard and call another guard a combo guard. plus Mooney doesn't even have set positions, though some guys have pretty defined roles.

I don't think Self did something wrong in "recruiting over" White. I just doubt Self ever thought White was going to be a long term solution to his roster hole. he'd find someone better. but that's not what he told White of course.

Recruiting "over" someone is in no way a question of loyalty. When a Self takes an Andrew, there is no promise, implies or actual, that he won't recruit other players at the position. In fact, he MUST recruit other players to have a full team etc. The coach will always recruit the very best players he can. No way any coach . . . ever . . . anywhere has said - - - "I can't recruit Super Stud Point Guard because he's better than that Point Guard I recruited last year and that wouldn't be right after all the promises I made to him about how great it would be for him here at Ypsilanti State U,"

There is no recruiting "over". Who is "over" who is decided on the court. No coach will ever play a lesser player over a better player either. A Coach might have reasons he thinks Player A is better than Player B for his team when his own fans and media might think Player B is better but the coach isn't "favoring" Player A for any reason other than he thinks that Player gives him more chance to win. They want to win. Period. All players should expect the coach will absolutely TRY to recruit over them. Some will like the challenge - - others will feel entitled to something and want to "cash" that entitlement.
Objectively I understand your point, although as a practical matter, coaches do try to spread out their recruitment of guys at the same position, mostly as a function of keeping a team loaded with capable juniors/seniors. With 13 scholarships available, the mathematics dictate you will have 2 guys at each position, and a few spots with three guys, plus whatever overlap they have to play up or down a spot.

No coach is going to turn down a blue chip athlete, I wasn't suggesting as much, but I do think they prioritize who they are after based on not stacking up 2-3 guys at the same position in the same or back to back classes. I also think when you're Kansas or any premier program, all bets are off because they can pretty much take their pick of the litter by and large.

We probably had his transcript in hand, then made up some reasons why Bernard's wasn't going to fly. Done deal! Welcome to UR, AW!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT