ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

DJ Burns looks to be going pro rather than transferring to play a 6th year. I'm not sure how he even had any eligibility left...he played four full seasons, and the 2020–21 COVID season was the year he only played 6 games.

Interesting development on Shulga. It's the wild west, I can think of about 10 different possibilities as to what occurred. Doubt it was grades. Only say that because I have brought that up before, in this wild west NIL/portal era you hardly ever ever (I can't remember one) example of a guy not getting in for grades, or failing out - other than the guy at Auburn, that used to be at SDSU, and before that at Duquesne. But yes, this helps them out.

Yeah, they need more than Shulga to be the favorite. They're still at a net negative compared to last year's roster.

Reactions: VT4700
Yeah, they need more than Shulga to be the favorite. They're still at a net negative compared to last year's roster.

I think they'll be the preseason favorite now with what they have returning, what's coming in, and having Odom. what do u mean by net negative...total roster spots?...that's fluid anyway. their top 3 scorers r back.

Thanks to Philaspidur mentioning this article in the NIL thread:

"But Shulga never really wanted to leave VCU, according to a source, and when the Rams came up with more money, Shulga opted to return to the Rams and coach Ryan Odom, whom Shulga has spent the last four years with — first at Utah State and then at VCU."

I think they'll be the preseason favorite now with what they have returning, what's coming in, and having Odom. what do u mean by net negative...total roster spots?...that's fluid anyway. their top 3 scorers r back.
They lost Lawal and the other white dude from Utah State and replaced them with a third-tier PG who they didn't really want and that Jack Clark guy who has been mediocre for five years.

Reactions: VT4700
They lost Lawal and the other white dude from Utah State and replaced them with a third-tier PG who they didn't really want and that Jack Clark guy who has been mediocre for five years.

Wouldn't call that a net negative compared to last years roster. u will always have some roster losses. The guard transfer looks solid even if 3rd choice. They have couple other newcomers and expect will be adding a couple more. & top 3 back means the most and they r all big guards. I don't like saying they r the team to beat but they r the team to beat. Preseason polls will likely back me up, easily top 3, I'd have #1 myself. If Holmes back UD will be #1 tho.

Preseason polls in the NIL era are even more meaningless than they were prior. No one knows how players will blend together. The best example was us last year. And I bet this year, we will be ranked much much higher just because of what we did last year, which should have no bearing on this year's ranking but yet we know it will,

Preseason polls in the NIL era are even more meaningless than they were prior. No one knows how players will blend together. The best example was us last year. And I bet this year, we will be ranked much much higher just because of what we did last year, which should have no bearing on this year's ranking but yet we know it will,

yep means nothing what matters is the end. & agree with your last comment too. I was responding to 8Legger. But polls r looked at and have a role in expectations, at least externally. for NIL era vcu has a lot of rotation returning, they'll be viewed very highly with Shulga back. and should be.

Wouldn't call that a net negative compared to last years roster. u will always have some roster losses. The guard transfer looks solid even if 3rd choice. They have couple other newcomers and expect will be adding a couple more. & top 3 back means the most and they r all big guards. I don't like saying they r the team to beat but they r the team to beat. Preseason polls will likely back me up, easily top 3, I'd have #1 myself. If Holmes back UD will be #1 tho.
LOL...the VCU guy speaks again.

LOL...the VCU guy speaks again.

Hate vcu but sorry I’m not going to lie about them. Been posting on this board since the late 90s I must really be playing the LONG game.

& all coming from u who posted exclusively on the VA Tech board for years & never here. The Fire Bennett Extend Mooney guy!! Just 6 more months until hibernation time again. Well unless Dji does poorly then you’ll probably stick it out.

Hate vcu but sorry I’m not going to lie about them. Been posting on this board since the late 90s I must really be playing the LONG game.

& all coming from u who posted exclusively on the VA Tech board for years & never here. The Fire Bennett Extend Mooney guy!! Just 6 more months until hibernation time again. Well unless Dji does poorly then you’ll probably stick it out.
LOL...I could have written that reply for u. I knew exactly what u would say. I respect VCU too and they have won a lot, but your love for them goes above and beyond. Like when you said they had a better year than we did last year because they advanced farther in the NIT. That's funny because you never talked up any NIT wins we had.

LOL...I could have written that reply for u. I knew exactly what u would say. I respect VCU too and they have won a lot, but your love for them goes above and beyond. Like when you said they had a better year than we did last year because they advanced farther in the NIT. That's funny because you never talked up any NIT wins we had.

Next time write it will save me some time.

Nah wrong again never said it was the NIT. That factored but minimally. One of the biggest roster overhauls in D1, yet vcu still went 1-1 h2h, 2 rounds farther in NIT, better metrics, but the main thing is they got to A10 finals where they had roughly a 50/50 shot a bid probably better. much higher than we ever had even with the 1 seed. U take making a10 finals & those odds every time. Given we were co champs reg season I do think it was close & that counts in the comparison but it just didn’t get us anything last year. I’ve said this b4 how u finish means more in sports & they finished stronger we went out meekly so that’s crux of my view. U can have your own view which we know you’ll die on. Also I’m sure this will surprise u but they finished ahead of us reg season in 2022, beat us 2 games to 1 h2h & we ended up with the much better season. Not a crazy concept.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
LOL....in 2022, we won the A-10 tourney and a 1st round NCAA game while they lost in the 1st round of the A-10 tourney and made the NIT...Of course we had the better season. Funny you are trying to compare us winning the A-10 tourney and a 1st round dance game to them losing in A-10 finals and making the NIT last year. You sure do love you some VCU, but at least you are consistent with your love for them.

Reactions: gcarter52
LOL....in 2022, we won the A-10 tourney and a 1st round NCAA game while they lost in the 1st round of the A-10 tourney and made the NIT...Of course we had the better season. Funny you are trying to compare us winning the A-10 tourney and a 1st round dance game to them losing in A-10 finals and making the NIT last year. You sure do love you some VCU, but at least you are consistent with your love for them.
VCU has made the NCAA tournament 9 times since 2011 (their Final 4 year and our Sweet 16 year), we have made it once. 2022 was the one year where we made the tournament and they didn't. I hope your aren't making some extrapolation from that one year that we are a better program.

I hate VCU as I know GK does but you have to acknowledge that they are the far superior basketball program over the past 10-15 years.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
so one poster has a reference to Spiders history in their handle here, and the other has one for another school entirely. The irony of who starts an argument about fandom is not lost on me.

Reactions: GKiller
so one poster has a reference to Spiders history in their handle here, and the other has one for another school entirely. The irony of who starts an argument about fandom is not lost on me.
The VT in my handle is not for Virginia Tech....but whatever.

VCU has made the NCAA tournament 9 times since 2011 (their Final 4 year and our Sweet 16 year), we have made it once. 2022 was the one year where we made the tournament and they didn't. I hope your aren't making some extrapolation from that one year that we are a better program.

I hate VCU as I know GK does but you have to acknowledge that they are the far superior basketball program over the past 10-15 years.
Has nothing to do with the point, which was questioning G saying VCU had the better year last year. And, of course they have had the better program..I have a lot of respect for them and they have had a remarkable run of success. But, I find it funny that they go 11-7 with Shulga last year, and just because he is returning, G wants to crown them champs.

Last edited:
Interesting, Shulga is returning to VCU.
$$$$$? + less competition? + coach? or combo. Don't think Neptune did any favors to Trey getting the best out of him. Nova for sure won't get another Wright, but will see if he is the answer. I just believe Neptune didn't get the most out of the talent at hand last season.

More so the coach's first year. Only lost Gillespie from 30-8 Wright team. Added Whitmore and we see he's an NBA player, though Moore missed many games.

Has nothing to do with the point, which was questioning G saying VCU had the better year last year. And, of course they have had the better program..I have a lot of respect for them and they have had a remarkable run of success. But, I find it funny that they go 11-7 with Shulga last year, and just because he is returning, G wants to crown them champs.

Actually your point was I said vcu had better year bc they went further in NIT which wasn’t true.

Shulga is POY candidate. They have their top 3 guards back and add a couple more. U always say it’s a guards game. Vcu until proven otherwise, u don’t pick against. I’m not crowning them just saying they r favorite that’s not unreasonable. Don’t believe me we can wait until predictions come out. For a lot of fans 9-25 and vcu NCAAs r frustrating bc we want that for UR.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
The VT in my handle is not for Virginia Tech....but whatever.

Amazing coincidence at least that VT is in your name when u joined Rivals to only post on the VT board until u switched over to Spiders board for whatever reason. All evidence shows me as true Spider lifer. Your evidence is Mooney lifer. Yet I’m the vcu fan lol. Brook is right the irony is rich.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT