ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
Figured we should start a fresh thread .. a few are beginning to trickle out with coaching changes mainly.

3 year starter for Pepperdine ..

Can't wait for portal season to get going. I assume we'll be in the market for at least two, if not three guys given what we're losing this year.

Unfortunately, I'll also be surprised if we don't have at least one or two guys transfer out. Just how things go nowadays.

I thought the portal didn't open til March 18? But yeah, I would expect us to sign at least one accomplished scoring guard and will be disappointed if we don't. King's success should give us a big leg up in that pursuit.

I thought the portal didn't open til March 18? But yeah, I would expect us to sign at least one accomplished scoring guard and will be disappointed if we don't. King's success should give us a big leg up in that pursuit.

Pepperdine coach was basically let go yesterday so I think similar to Ohio State, players can get in early.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yeah, there is an exception for coaching changes. I guess Pepperdine announcing yesterday that Romar would not be back next year is sufficient, and the coach doesn't have to be immediately gone to qualify.

This is critical as we all know. Mooney did a super job rebuilding and bringing in guys that want to win. In the Mountain West Utah State first year coach Danny Sprinkle won USU's first ever outright regular season title with 5 transfer starters. In case u didn't hear Darius Brown ( who visited Richmond in the portal) hit the game winning 3 to deliver the title.
We will need to replicate the success again this off-season. Not sure how many spots we will have. Maybe only 2, but I could potentially see 1 to 2 guys leaving. My guess would 0 to 2 at most.

shooters and more shooters and a lead guard who is a great shooter. I love Tyne but as of now he is not a shooter and with Roche out, when Jordan rests, the entire 3 point shooting load falls on Bigelow. Hunt passes more on 3s than he shoots and Dji is not a reliable or volume shooter from deep.

Hopefully Walz improves from deep - would be a huge progression for his game.

Also need a forward who can defend bigger forwards and rebound. Noyes is not really that at all at present, defensively. We lose a lot of versatility with Bigelow.

SLU is talking about hiring Indiana ST coach. Just hope Avila doesn‘t follow him.
But if he wanted to cone here, that would be ok…

Reactions: urfan1
We reached out to Bo Montgomery when he entered the portal last year, but he decided to return to Holy Cross. Now he's back in the portal this year.

Reactions: WCUR11
I'm very curious to see how things shake out with Noyes next season. I think a lot of us kind of expected a monster breakout for him this season but that certainly didn't happen. So maybe next year? 🤷‍♂️
someone has to be our starting big forward next year.
I think that's a great spot for Noyes. he's long enough and athletic. ideally he'd have more bulk but that's not mandatory.
he'll have to hold off the freshmen and whoever comes in the portal.

Probably is the best position for Noyes in our scheme, but yes the lack of bulk and strength is a bit concerning. We lose both Bigelow and Harris, who are both guys that are very strong and tough inside. While I love the looks of the two incoming freshman, not sure we can count on them to be starter level from day one. I think McGlothin more of a wing type. Robinson sure looks like he is ready physically and athletically to be a big forward, but again a freshman.
Whether or not the coaches think Noyes is up for it, I think we need to bring in a guy that can replace Bigs. No one can replace Bigs :), but a guy in that mold.

Also, hopefully Soulis is healthy. Not sure if we are grooming him at the 5 spot? It does seem that our offense the 4 and 5 are pretty distinct?

And I still think Noyes can be a very good player for us. He does have the hops and ability to grab some boards. And he can shoot it. Will need to re-build that confidence for next season. I am worried that he went from Day 1 starter to Zero minutes/game. I know some of that was injury, but not all. So would not be shocked if he goes portal route. Hoping he is back and contributor next season.

Reactions: gospidersgo
someone has to be our starting big forward next year.
I think that's a great spot for Noyes. he's long enough and athletic. ideally he'd have more bulk but that's not mandatory.
he'll have to hold off the freshmen and whoever comes in the portal.
Noyes had his chance. He failed in pretty epic fashion, he didn't, couldn't make plays. Not saying he can't get better, but the thought on him being the incumbent starter next year should scare Spider fans.

Reactions: WCUR11
And so it begins...we've been in touch with Charlie Williams from W&M following the coaching change there. Part-time starting big (6'10", 220) who averaged 6.6 ppg and 2.8 rpg this season. Has two years remaining.

He dropped 21 on us including 5-of-9 from deep, but that game and the 23 he had against ODU in the following game were his biggest-scoring games of the season.

quick confident release. you watch highlights like this and wonder why he didn't do more in conference.
only a sophomore though.

What a stressful time of season this must be for coaching staffs. You are getting your team ready for conference tournaments, keeping an eye on the portal situation for possible new additions for next season, and also re-recruiting half your existing team!
yeah, and the day after your final game don't even want to check texts, holding your breath that you don't lose future core pieces.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Sounds like a good potential back up to Mike and Ryan.
He is not entering the portal to be a back up in the A10.

Not comparing him to Harper in ability by any means, but he seems more like a stretch 4 in the role that Harper played here. As opposed to the Walz/Quinn 5 role potentially.
Also curious as to what position Soulis would play, or float between the 5 and 4?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
You think he’s transferring to a starter role based on his stats? If so, would have to be a perfect fit or an equal/lower conference. W&M is not a powerhouse so those stats don’t scream plug and play at a higher level to me.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I get you Brownstone, but guessing the majority of the guys entering the portal are not thinking back up mode. As we know, there will be some guys that enter the portal, there spot gets filled, and no one wants them. I just don't see us reaching out and saying, you could be a great back up to Mike Walz. Probably would sell him on the opportunity to split time / and/or be THE 4.

He is not entering the portal to be a back up in the A10.

Not comparing him to Harper in ability by any means, but he seems more like a stretch 4 in the role that Harper played here. As opposed to the Walz/Quinn 5 role potentially.
Also curious as to what position Soulis would play, or float between the 5 and 4?
agreed. I see this guy, or whoever we add (or even Soulis) as looking for a role like Grace had.
be a guy who can play the 5, but can also play next to the 5.

We reached out to Bo Montgomery when he entered the portal last year, but he decided to return to Holy Cross. Now he's back in the portal this year.
We are indeed inquiring after Bo again this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT