ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Richmond Spiders Football - Opponent's Countdown - W&M

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

if both teams live up to their preseason potential, and get a little luck along the way, this historic rivalry could be one of the biggest games in FCS football this season and once again the biggest game of the CAA season... for the 2nd year in a row a game to determine the CAA Championship...

I'm sure most fans have already heard all they need to hear about the Indians, but they are loaded with 17 starters returning (9 offense and 8 defense)...they are everyone's CAA preseason favorite and I believe I've seen them ranked as high as #5 in national FCS preseason polls...Coach London described the Indians as "humble and hungry" on CAA Media Day...he also spoke of having unfinished business...as in bringing an FCS Championship to The Reservation...

I really enjoy these games at Cary Field and have had the pleasure of watching the Spiders earn and finalize CAA Championships and FCS Playoff bids several times since 2007...the Spiders know how to win there and have good mojo!...a second chance would make this game even more special...

now all we have to do is go out and make it happen...not easy, but certainly doable...

enjoy the Countdown...ha! I'm awful glad the Countdown and "dog days" are over and it's time for some real football...let the season begin!

Go Spiders!

RTD 9/24

“…The Tribe’s offensive leader, tailback Bronson Yoder, needed to be taken off Zable Stadium’s field in an ambulance Saturday following a fourth-quarter run. London described the injury as an “upper-body issue.” The availability of Yoder, a captain who gained 408 yards with four touchdowns in four games, would seem to be very much in doubt for at minimum a few games, though W&M has not updated his status...”

Of course, only the best to him. Love to watch him run. Almost from a different era. Skilled, knowledgeable, and mostly determined. Power runner like Spiders have not seen in years.

Hope to see Yoder November 18th in a game where, regardless of outcome, both teams qualify for playoffs.

will need to watch this.
Hope he is ok, I have not rewatched that game, but someone mentioned on another site it did not look good.

They have two or three other great backs and they all seemed to share time, like our guys do, but they seem to lean on opponents with the run game, even though their QB throws it pretty good.

Reactions: urfan1
Host Tribe(4-3,2-2) lost to Towson by 10.Will drop in ratings.Not good for UR.Hopefully, they stay in the Top 20.Otherwise,none of UR’s remaining 3 opponents would be ranked.

Last edited:
Blue Hens have Towson, Elon, Campbell and Nova left, who beats them?

The caliber of the CAA has dropped precipitously but 2 teams have to get into the 24 team playoffs, right?

I think our best path is for Delaware to run the table and for UR to have the second-best profile. Win out, and i think we have a chance to have the 2nd best profile.

Albany is the only other possibility
If they win out they could also bump us out
but have to win 4 out also

We need to first and most importantly take care of our business Saturday and beat Campbell. If we do that we set up a bye week for rest. ELON is off this weekend then plays at Delaware 11/4. Hope they use that bye week to get a win which will make our game with them even more significant as we could both be 5-1 in CAA. WM gets Monmouth this weekend then plays at Albany 11/4 and Hampton 11/11. If they win out they will more than likely be ranked and 7-3 when we play on 11/18. No way UR does not make playoffs if we win out and finish 8-3 with a 6 game winning streak. Lots of (ifs) but no matter what else happens if we win out, you got to believe will make a 24 team playoff on a 6 game winning streak.

We need to first and most importantly take care of our business Saturday and beat Campbell. If we do that we set up a bye week for rest. ELON is off this weekend then plays at Delaware 11/4. Hope they use that bye week to get a win which will make our game with them even more significant as we could both be 5-1 in CAA. WM gets Monmouth this weekend then plays at Albany 11/4 and Hampton 11/11. If they win out they will more than likely be ranked and 7-3 when we play on 11/18. No way UR does not make playoffs if we win out and finish 8-3 with a 6 game winning streak. Lots of (ifs) but no matter what else happens if we win out, you got to believe will make a 24 team playoff on a 6 game winning streak.

11 AQ + 13 At large

UR possibility of the AQ is greater than the possibility of an at-large bid even at 8-3.UR SOS can’t be very good..

The probability of UR receiving an at-large bid is zero.

Last edited:
I would typically agee jpo, but im not sure you can count on a playoff bid at 8-3 with losses to Morgan State and Hampton. If we were 8-3 with losses to good teams, or even average teams, then I would agree with you. But both of those losses are so bad I'm not sure you get over them. I'd love to be wrong but you just can't lose those games.

Agree, win out and we are in. Too much going in the right direction and past history to leave us out🕸️🕷️

11 AQ + 13 At large

UR possibility of the AQ is greater than the possibility of an at-large bid even at 8-3.UR SOS can’t be very good..

The probability of UR receiving an at-large bid is zero.
I admire your football Knowledge and research but I will never believe that if we win out and don’t get the AQ, that we have 0 chance for an at-lodge 😩

Reactions: 32counter
Ok,you’re right.

0.00000001% probability of at-lodge(sic)

First, they have to win out, but if they do all three teams Spiders have left are ranked ahead of them right now by Massey, i believe. Again, first things first, but let's hope that if it happens the committee looks at six straight wins and 7 of last 8. I have no idea if they would dig deep enough to know that our loss to Hampton involved the 3rd and 4th string QB being all that was available at the time and was our only conference loss.

Let's hope they can win out. Of the one loss teams the Spiders have Elon. Nova has Delaware, Albany has W&M and a couple of other games between one and two loss teams, I have to believe one loss in CAA is in, but I've been wrong many times.

Campbell has two losses, but they are really good and have a high-powered offense, this first one will not be easy.

Reactions: 32counter
This is it. The game against William & Harry will test our team. If we win, we may make the playoffs We need to take care of business. We need to bring home the Capital Cup and once again take the lead in the series, which is tied at 64-64-5.

Reactions: urfan1
8/31/2023 * at Campbell Buies Creek, N.C. W 34-24
9/9/2023 Wofford Williamsburg, Va. W 23-6
9/16/2023 at Charleston Southern Charleston, S.C. W 15-7
9/23/2023 * Maine Williamsburg, Va. W 28-3
9/30/2023 * at Elon Elon, N.C. L 6-14
10/7/2023 at Virginia Charlottesville, Va. L 13-27
10/21/2023 * Towson Williamsburg, Va. L 24-34
10/28/2023 * Monmouth Williamsburg, Va. W 31-28
11/4/2023 * at UAlbany Albany, N.Y. L 8-24
11/11/2023 * at Hampton Hampton, Va. W 31-10

Record (6-4,4-3)