2 LS

13 OL

4 QB

5 RB

2 TE

11 WR

—————-

76 Rostered

Many of the 2019 signees will not be redshirted.They’ll be baptized early and play throughout the full schedule.

Thanks for always posting these links. Very informative. Interesting to see the breakdown of # by position

If we have 76 and get just the 6 estimated over summer of walk ons & transfers per Huesman in JOC article, we’ll have even less than last season. Plus you typically have an unexpected loss or two that don’t come back as expected in summer. I believe 84 was the rostered numbered last year. A concern on here & well below our peer schools. Hopefully we can pull in a few more walk ons.

If we have 76 and get just the 6 estimated over summer of walk ons & transfers per Huesman in JOC article, we’ll have even less than last season. Plus you typically have an unexpected loss or two that don’t come back as expected in summer. I believe 84 was the rostered numbered last year. A concern on here & well below our peer schools. Hopefully we can pull in a few more walk ons.

Agreed. It is good that numbers seem to be up a bit on the OL and DL, but overall, just not enough to get through the season.

We will need all of them with no linemen.

I'd just like to see one RB emerge as the "guy" and stay healthy thru an entire season. I know that is a grueling position but we seem to have been snake bit with injuries at RB over the last few seasons with guys getting hurt before and during the season.

Reactions: urfan1
-1 on the OL front. Jack Doherty is transferring. He was no factor for UR the last two years with a red shirt and an ACL injury last year, but he had some potential. Will be an open scholarship that they can hopefully find a replacement quickly for, perhaps a transfer in.

do they need another qb to have success at least in the near future?, kind of worries me , they need to get back to winning this year, so much doubt at the most important position on the field

Reactions: urfan1
IMHO yes - need someone to come in that is more polished, can read defenses better pre and post-snap and most importantly accurate. Walker will get time in 4 games but they will do whatever they can to redshirt him. Not that JM and RC haven't shown that they can play here and there, but they both still need a lot of coaching, and in my opinion they nor KJ got any from Corp. Will be interesting to see what kind of impact Durden will have on the QBs and if Satterfield can have any say in what happens. His offenses were quite good at Austin-Peay, and he coached the QBs there too. Seems like there are still a few good ones out there to pick from, and a few more may make themselves eligible after spring ball is completed.

Reactions: spiderhawk111
To follow up, I don't think any of the QBs last season threw a good long ball - they were mostly floaters or ducks. None of them could hit that 15-18 yard out that, given the size and speed of our WRs, could have been big plays regularly. They would all dink and dunk and scramble if their first read wasn't open. Not patient enough to work through their progressions. Some of that may have been the OLs fault, and I can say that JM and RC did at times show they could make those reads. KJ never did. These are reasons that KL had a good UR career. And per my previous post, I think KL had a better QB IQ and could make those pre-snap reads much, much better.

-1 LB. RS Freshman Grayson Overstreet has left the program. Not transferring to anywhere else, just going home and done with football.

Jack Doherty is transferring to Columbia.

Will have transfer OL from Illinois on campus this weekend.

-1 LB. RS Freshman Grayson Overstreet has left the program. Not transferring to anywhere else, just going home and done with football.

Jack Doherty is transferring to Columbia.

Will have transfer OL from Illinois on campus this weekend.
any quarterback rumors? is the illini transfer zeke martin by chance?

The QB transfer I heard rumblings about is back at his current school. If he's not Top 2 by the end of spring ball (which seems likely), he may be shopping himself again.

Hate to hear Overstreet is not returning. I think he would have been an impact player. The good news is this staff has a bunch of young talent at LB.

Hate to hear Overstreet is not returning. I think he would have been an impact player. The good news is this staff has a bunch of young talent at LB.

Me too about Overstreet.Could have easily played on either side of ball.Risk from the get go that he was a small town local kid who was potentially homesick including missing a HS sweetheart.

So are we going into the season with only 76 players with a 12 game season. That's going to be very challenging for these guys. Most teams in the CAA are carrying around 90. Why is this happening?

Last edited:
So are going into the season with only 76 players with a 12 game season. That's going to very challenging for these guys. Most teams in the CAA are carrying around 90. Why is this happening?

Lack of vision? :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: JM09
We will be fine. Staff are working hard to put together final pieces. Some may not fall into place to after Spring Ball. There will be LOTS of COMPETITION in spring!

Realistically we aren't going to get to a roster size of 90 even with adding more walk-ons. If we have 76 now, I'd like to see us get around 82-85 with focus on adding depth at the OL and DL position since they seem to get the most injuries. Maybe LB too since we appear to be low in numbers in that position. Also desperately need a QB transfer with preferably 2 years of eligibility left.

Looking at our roster, I like the depth we have at WR and RB.

Only Andrew Tsangeos and Avery Close are listed as tight ends. Maybe Ben Castellano, even though he is listed as WR, will have more of a tight end role at Richmond.

We have a lot of promising offensive linemen but the majority are redshirt freshmen or sophomores. We can always have more offensive linemen since football games are won in the trenches. Playing teams like Stony Brook last year, we were out muscled.

If I had to boil it down to the two positions I'd like to see us focus on in recruiting transfers this offseason it is offensive linemen (given that many are young and may need time to develop in addition to simply having more depth) and a quarterback. I like Jackson Walker a lot, but he will likely need a redshirt year to adjust to the college game and learn the offensive system well.

Illini Trainer converted from TE to OL while at Illinois.Our depth at RB is a mirage.Most of our RBs are 5-9,180.Tiny when you carry the ball 20-25 times per game for 12 regular season games.I cringe when somebody days we have depth at RB.I also cringe when someone says we have depth at WR.Ben Castellano,the highly touted incoming frosh WR,will be out with an ACL this season.Enough with the depth along with a small roster.

Hopefully,Brissett is totally onboard for 2019.His looking at other schools has caused some angst among the coaching staff.

Last edited:
‘32 - that’s a bucket of cold water. Appreciate the insight though. Hoping for better news during the spring on the injury front

It is relative to the roster size we have right now. If we had 10 WR and 5 RBs with a roster size of 90, I would wonder why we don't have more depth at those positions. Coach Huesman is in a tough position due to our small roster situation to try and balance out all positions. At a roster size of 76 we could absolutely use more bodies at any position. Period. In football, having depth on a roster (in any position) is an incredibly important thing. If Brissett may transfer and Castellano is out with an ACL injury, those are 2 key players and we will also need to focus on WR.

Don't get me wrong, I would be more than happy to bring in transfers or signed recruits at any position if they want to come here. I mentioned that we should prioritize OL and QB based off what I saw last year. Last year, it was clear that against teams like Stony Brook, our lack of size hurt us. They controlled the line the entire game. With an OL roster with 8 Freshmen and RSFreshmen, they may need a couple of years to develop their bodies. Also with QB position, we threw 18 interceptions last year in 11 games. I don't know how much of that was due to Durden's system but that needs to be fixed. Either in adjusting our offensive scheme, working on decision-making from our current QB's, bringing in an experienced QB, or some combination of the 3.

Just looking at what has happened the past three seasons with injuries with the team, you can't help but to pray for some luck in the injury department. Its our turn to have a season with a healthy team. 76 not going to cut it! Maybe if they got up to 82 with walk on players it could help. Like you said 82 -85 should benefit the team. Defensive side 34 guys and offensive side we have 36.

Rumor has it that Dejon Brissett will be leaving UR and transferring to Cincinnati for his graduate year. With his departure, there will only be three scholarship receivers in spring practices - Charlie Fessler, Justin Jasper and Isaac Brown. Jeremiah Brown and Ben Maffe are both out for the spring based on surgeries. They do have a few walk on receivers as well. Guessing a few of the incoming freshmen will see some significant playing time.

Brissett has been looking at other schools for a couple of months.
He would be a standout here.He will be added as depth at Cincy.
He wants to play at the next level.Not sure going to Cincy gives him a better shot than UR.Cincy was 11-2 last season including a W over Tech in a Bowl game.We won 4.
We are not sure of our QB status going into 2019.That hurts.

https://gobearcats.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=321

2019 Football Roster Cincy WRs

# FULL NAME POS. HT. WT. CL. EX. HOMETOWN / HIGH SCHOOL PREVIOUS SCHOOL
7 Javan Hawes WR 6-0 192 Jr. 2L Atlanta, Ga. / Sandy Creek
12 Alec Pierce WR 6-3 205 So. 1L Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Glenbard West
13 Trent Cloud WR 6-0 191 So. 1L Cleveland, Ohio / Bedford
14 Yanez Rogers WR 6-2 180 Fr. RS Pompano Beach, Fla. / Pompano Beach
17 Rashad Medaris WR 5-11 182 Sr. 2L Indianapolis, Ind. / Pike Western Illinois
19 Tyrin Summers WR 5-9 183 Jr. 1L Clewiston, Fla. / Clewiston
20 Aulden Knight WR 5-9 162 Jr. 1L Akron, Ohio / Copley Hampton
21 Jayshon Jackson WR 5-10 165 So. 1L Chicago, Ill. / Simeon
26 Jerron Rollins WR 6-2 200 Sr. 3L Miami, Fla. / Christopher Columbus
80 Malick Mbodj WR 6-5 211 Jr. 2L Atlanta, Ga. / Arabia Mountain
84 Wyatt Fischer WR 6-0 205 Fr. RS Mount Orab, Ohio / Western Brown
85 Thomas Geddis WR 6-2 185 Sr. 3L Pompano Beach, Fla. / Blanche Ely
86 Jack Peterson WR 6-0 185 So. SQ Granville, Ohio / Granville
89 Jake Peterson WR 6-0 180 Fr. RS Granville, Ohio / Granville
Tre Tucker WR 5-11 175 Fr. HS Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio / CVCA

Last edited:
With college football turning into Free agency,UR with a small roster,should think long and hard about NOT RED SHIRTING players in the future.Losing 22-23 year old redshirt seniors to transferring to other schools as graduate transfers will cause a bad taste for Coaches and fans alike particularly given the prior 4 years of “ prior investment” only to lose out on a student’s 5th year graduate transfer.

We should play all 16(sans Castellano-ACL) incoming recruits many more than the 4 game Redshirt allowance this upcoming season.

Very rough to lose Brissett. Hope it works better for him than it has for past transfers. Especially for a guy coming off an injury.

Maybe if he had a qb to throw him the ball he would stay. Lol. He trying to get to the next level. I understand why he's leaving. Taking his shot so he'll have no regrets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT