ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Opponent Thread

Maybe the best thing we could do to secure a bid is win the A-10 regular-season. I know St. Bonaventure got left out when they tied for first, but our conference should be pretty good this year, and if you finish first in the regular season, that should help your chances tremendously.
Ya, think. Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Watched URI on TV vs Providence tonight. Very long and athletic team. Gilly vs Fatts will be a great match up. For the 23 Haters: Super Soph Sixth Man Dana Tate suspended for a game - which actually drove the betting line by 3 points. Rhody still very athletic all over the court without Tate. Just imagine how well he and Sy could have done under Mooney's guidance. Still say we need to recruit better athletes to compete at a high level on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
Alabama beat a good SF austin team and has another big game against Penn St. If they win against Penn St our game against them could be a very big one as they will most likely be quad 1 and a win will definitely put us on the radar for march.

Reactions: nathanw19
I doubt a win vs PSU will solidify as Quad1 for the season. Unfortunately the SEC is looking down this year.
Alabama just needs to be top 75 to be a quad 1 due to the game being away. They are currently 85 on kenpom(which I know isn't the same as NET but they are normally pretty close) so they would only have to move up 10 spots which is see as very likely after a win at PSU(23 on kenpom) and also a potential win vs Belmont(87 on kenpom)

#136 BC struggling with #203 Albany at home. We need them to TCOB.
#295 McNeese St with a chance to pick up their first Division I win tonight against #244 Missouri KC.

In the A10:
Davidson handling Coppin St.
St. Joe's getting waxed by Temple
Fordham lost to Bryant at home earlier today.

Reactions: plydogg
the coaching change ran off 2 really good players and Funk got hurt, and Daly can't do it by himself. Curious to see where he transfers for his GT year. Hope the new AD is enjoying the rebuild.
Also lost Jameer Nelson’s son as a recruit. Maybe they’ll be better in time but grass isn’t always greener just because you fire a guy. We could of been in the same situation they were this year had the pitchfork brigade got their way last spring. Thankfully those who make the actual decisions took a deep breath and now we’re 8-1, not St. Joes.

Also lost Jameer Nelson’s son as a recruit. Maybe they’ll be better in time but grass isn’t always greener just because you fire a guy. We could of been in the same situation they were this year had the pitchfork brigade got their way last spring. Thankfully those who make the actual decisions took a deep breath and now we’re 8-1, not St. Joes.
Or we’d have the same team with a coach without the history of an 8 year NCAA bid drought and be 8-1 still.

I think Mooney is doing a great job this year, but that doesn’t mean the criticism of him the past years has been unfounded. Also, let’s try not to use St. Joe’s to predict an alternative reality, especially when using it to re-open wounds that are currently healing.

#136 BC struggling with #203 Albany at home. We need them to TCOB.
#295 McNeese St with a chance to pick up their first Division I win tonight against #244 Missouri KC.

In the A10:
Davidson handling Coppin St.
St. Joe's getting waxed by Temple
Fordham lost to Bryant at home earlier today.

BC and McNeese State both came back and won.

Not much on the slate tonight, although Wisconsin plays a surprisingly-not-terrible Rutgers.
CSUN plays North Dakota State, who have won something like 8 of the last 9 national championships, I think.

Or we’d have the same team with a coach without the history of an 8 year NCAA bid drought and be 8-1 still.

I think Mooney is doing a great job this year, but that doesn’t mean the criticism of him the past years has been unfounded. Also, let’s try not to use St. Joe’s to predict an alternative reality, especially when using it to re-open wounds that are currently healing.
Agree with all of this nathan. Mooney seems to have turned things around, but there are a lot of good alternatives out there for our attractive situation.

Reactions: coach fezz

Wounds? You're being a little dramatic.

the players are loyal to the coach, not the school and definitely not a small portion of the fan base who hid behind a billboard. in 2019, the power is with the players.

that would have been exhibit 1 in their NCAA transfer hearing.

Reactions: plydogg and WCUR11
Wounds? You're being a little dramatic.

the players are loyal to the coach, not the school and definitely not a small portion of the fan base who hid behind a billboard. in 2019, the power is with the players.

that would have been exhibit 1 in their NCAA transfer hearing.
It’s a moot point. I think we can all move forward.

Reactions: urfan1
Wisconsin loses to Rutgers, a reminder about how hard it is for mediocre teams to win on the road, especially in conference.

Wisconsin loses to Rutgers, a reminder about how hard it is for mediocre teams to win on the road, especially in conference.

Umass also lost to a solid Yale team at home in OT but they had seemed to be in control of that game. Tough night.

I think Mooney is doing a great job this year, but that doesn’t mean the criticism of him the past years has been unfounded. .

I'm not sure where I said he wasn't worthy of criticism in my post or that they weren't entitled to feel how they did, but feel free to elaborate. Go back and look in my post history and you'll see rational defenses regarding both sides of the argument. Some people wanted to move on and seen enough, others didn't and saw the pieces to the puzzle perhaps beginning to lineup and not want to blow it all up just to endure it over again. People are free to make their own opinions expressed, they're also fair game for criticism/analysis. I'm not asking anyone here apologize to anyone for how they feel.

. Also, let’s try not to use St. Joe’s to predict an alternative reality, especially when using it to re-open wounds that are currently healing.

How exactly am I opening old wounds ? There is an entire thread on SpiderNation dedicated to the rise of William and Mary as a result of firing Tony Shaver many don't mind commenting on.

We could of been in the same situation they were this year had the pitchfork brigade got their way last spring. Thankfully those who make the actual decisions took a deep breath and now we’re 8-1, not St. Joes.
I don't think you're opening any wounds, but you're certainly committing the first half of his statement. You're implying that if Hardt had gone the other way, we'd look a lot more like St. Joe's. I contend that nobody really knows; I don't think the turnover would have been as bad as others do, and I am certain there are several coaches that could have this team at 8-1 against our schedule so far.

Lumping the entire contingent of fans, journalists and analysts who believe we should have made a change into "the pitchfork brigade" or those "who hid behind a billboard," is a bit salty and disingenuous. There were plenty of perfectly reasonable arguments for doing it; Hardt himself publicly stated several times we were falling far short of expectations. We're not all irrational or hysterical.

I'm not sure where I said he wasn't worthy of criticism in my post or that they weren't entitled to feel how they did, but feel free to elaborate. Go back and look in my post history and you'll see rational defenses regarding both sides of the argument. Some people wanted to move on and seen enough, others didn't and saw the pieces to the puzzle perhaps beginning to lineup and not want to blow it all up just to endure it over again. People are free to make their own opinions expressed, they're also fair game for criticism/analysis. I'm not asking anyone here apologize to anyone for how they feel.

How exactly am I opening old wounds ? There is an entire thread on SpiderNation dedicated to the rise of William and Mary as a result of firing Tony Shaver many don't mind commenting on.
You called detractors of Mooney “the pitchfork brigade” which I think is unnecessary needling. Furthermore, I took your post as the equivalent of a “scoreboard” chant, using 9 games of success for Richmond and 11 games of failure by St Joe’s as empirical evidence that keeping Mooney was the right decision. This completely ignores that the roster may not have been blown up and that a new coach regardless of turnover could’ve been successful.

As for opening old wounds, my reading of the board the past month or so has been that most people have been impressed with both the team and with Mooney. By essentially saying “we were right and you were wrong”, in my opinion, you’re re-picking a fight over Mooney that has somewhat simmered.

Back to our opponents...

Wisconsin has played a really good schedule to date, with impressive wins against Marquette and Indiana. I just wish they'd stop losing to these other Top 100 teams. St. Mary's, New Mexico, NC State, Rutgers....chances are, at least one of those teams will be around the bubble.

St. Joes will be good in time - they have a good coach with Philly roots and NBA ties in Lange and I think he will be able to recruit high level players to St. Joes with his NBA ties and Philly connection. Might be about 2 years away from being competitive in A10, but I would expect them to be hungry as most teams look at the A10 like a new season when you have had a bad OOC. Best way to stop that - come out in the first 5 minutes and take the lead.

Lol, at the small portion of the fanbase comment. It was not and is not. Look at our attendance and ticket promotions this year. Despite being 8-1, the RC is half full and that is despite the fact that our ticket office is essentially giving away free tickets to all kids and $5 tickets for anyone else they can cajole into buying them.

They may be able to win their way out of this, but a fair amount of long time fans and alumni who are just so disgusted with the way UR handled this whole situation aren't back yet. That is sad. Hardt and Mooney (and for that matter folks like Bob Black and Matt Smith) could have been a whole lot more transparent and engaging with the way they handled this adversity. But they didn't and no matter if Hardt made the right call last year or not, his manner in which he got there was an example in poor organizational leadership.

Those that are back are cautiously optimistic about the start, but let me remind you, we have soon Mooney coached teams f*ck a lot of stuff up in the past 8 years, so lets not count any chickens before they hatch.

Reactions: wr70beh
I come to the conclusion that no matter the teams does, credit for what the team is doing this year will not be given to them. STOP rehashing the past, it has no place in this narrative.

Reactions: plydogg
What are peoples thoughts on the remainder of OOC schedule? Four games remaining: Charleston, at ODU, Radford in DC, and at Alabama.

My prediction is we go 3 - 1 and finish at 11 - 2 before conference play. My worst case would be 10-3.

Okay, so who thought double digit wins would be possible in OOC play? Not even this "truther" was that optimistic!

Maybe we shouldn't be too worried about "being St. Joe's." They do have 2 conference championships in the past 6 years. :)

Also, Martelli might find that being Juwan Howard's right hand man is a better retirement years gig than the pressure of running a program.

What are peoples thoughts on the remainder of OOC schedule? Four games remaining: Charleston, at ODU, Radford in DC, and at Alabama.

My prediction is we go 3 - 1 and finish at 11 - 2 before conference play. My worst case would be 10-3.

Okay, so who thought double digit wins would be possible in OOC play? Not even this "truther" was that optimistic!
The way the guys are playing, they have me believing in 4-0! I also think the way things have shaken out, losing to Alabama is the only non-bad loss, though I think we need the Bama win to boost our NCAA case.

And no, I had no belief in double digit OOC wins preseason and am ecstatic that we’re discussing a the possibilities of a realistic NCAA tourney resume.

Reactions: SpiderPride
The way the guys are playing, they have me believing in 4-0! I also think the way things have shaken out, losing to Alabama is the only non-bad loss, though I think we need the Bama win to boost our NCAA case.

And no, I had no belief in double digit OOC wins preseason and am ecstatic that we’re discussing a the possibilities of a realistic NCAA tourney resume.
We should win all 4, we could lose to any of the 4.

Reactions: SpiderPride

We should go at least 3-1. Our next 3 opponents are all having disappointing seasons so far. There are no gimmes, of course - but these are all Quad 3 games now and we have to win them. That's not a knock on our scheduling at all; just about everyone expected our next 3 to be better than they are.

Just took a look at Davidson - they got out of the gate slow, but I have a feeling they pick things up. They got Loyola Chicago and Vandy on the road coming up before opening with Duquesne and URI on the road in A10 play - so a very difficult stretch coming up for them on the road - but I would still look out for Grady. He is averaging 16 a game, but is cold right now from 3 only shooting 22% from deep. You know that number will get better - and when it does, I think things will open up for the rest of the team and they get going. I would look for them to go 3-1 over their next 4 and hit the A10 slate running.

I don't think you're opening any wounds, but you're certainly committing the first half of his statement. You're implying that if Hardt had gone the other way, we'd look a lot more like St. Joe's. I contend that nobody really knows; I don't think the turnover would have been as bad as others do, and I am certain there are several coaches that could have this team at 8-1 against our schedule so far.

Lumping the entire contingent of fans, journalists and analysts who believe we should have made a change into "the pitchfork brigade" or those "who hid behind a billboard," is a bit salty and disingenuous. There were plenty of perfectly reasonable arguments for doing it; Hardt himself publicly stated several times we were falling far short of expectations. We're not all irrational or hysterical.

I don't want this to go too far into the weeds because its a simple statement being taken out of context and in the end its not that big of a deal but I don't want to come off as "dunking" when I know there is plenty of work to be done. Please go back and read what I said. I said the grass isnt ALWAYS greener and that we COULD of been like STJ. Perhaps referring as to the group that gleefully called themselves part of the fire mooney mafia as "fire mooney brigade" was a bit much for some to handle, but from what I have seen on this board I figure people had thicker skin. There is an entire thread on Tony Shaver firing being a good thing and using it as anecdotal evidence that Mooney should be fired. I merely suggested it was possible to also be STJ. I also have never once said Mooney shouldnt be criticized on this board and have defended arguments on both sides of the isle if you will. We may fall on the different ends of the spectrum as to what the direction of the program you are in and I may think its wrong, but I have no problem with anyone feeling that way. A lot of times people just want to hear their own opinions out of other peoples mouths, I am not one of them.

Last edited:
You called detractors of Mooney “the pitchfork brigade” which I think is unnecessary needling. Furthermore, I took your post as the equivalent of a “scoreboard” chant, using 9 games of success for Richmond and 11 games of failure by St Joe’s as empirical evidence that keeping Mooney was the right decision. This completely ignores that the roster may not have been blown up and that a new coach regardless of turnover could’ve been successful.

As for opening old wounds, my reading of the board the past month or so has been that most people have been impressed with both the team and with Mooney. By essentially saying “we were right and you were wrong”, in my opinion, you’re re-picking a fight over Mooney that has somewhat simmered.

Me pick a fight....?:)
I think were being a little dramatic here. There is literally a group that is called "fire mooney mafia" here that wears the crown proudly, and I have no problem with that. Feel free to suggest a different name to call the group by and Ill try not to be so offensive next time, I dont know what else to say.

I can't help how you interpret what I say, just understand your'e reading way too much into my first statement and not enough into my second. In addition your cherry picking select statements from both and misinterpreting it. If you have only been reading one months worth of "I told you so" (The Big East expansion thread is a laughable hypothetical) posts need I remind you the constant berating of anyone defending Mooney the past 2 years or so that were far worse then what I said that were and far higher in volume.

There was plenty of "dunking" on fans when they were proved right that the team wasn't very good each of the past two years. And hes owed no apology from fans that want his ouster, that's sports. I have not once come on here and anointed this team as anything than overachieving at this point. I don't think any of us saw 8-1 on the horizon including the fans who wanted to keep Mooney. Personally I think both sides act ridiculous after each game is a verdict as to where the program is heading. I'm fine with moving on and pretending like nothing happened, but cant help but comment about STJ being off limits when we have a whole thread dedicated to WM firing shaver. If you were out here deriding all of that behavior as well then kudos to you.

Thankfully those who make the actual decisions took a deep breath and now we’re 8-1, not St. Joes.
Based on all the commentary, I don't think there was a deep breath taken, nor decision made. It was the lack of action and commitment that was the most distressing to many.

I think a basketball comparison to St. Joe's is just as bad as the comparison to W&M (You may be able to compare them to each other though). The best comparison is to compare UR to the other Richmond school down the road and there is no doubt who is ahead in that race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT