ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Opponent Thread

McNeese State is up next, and they are probably worse than CSUN.
This is almost hard to believe. Hopefully CM learned something from the CSUN game and we have lineups other than the normal starting 5 that have some semblance of order to them. At times against CSUN it looked like the Spiders on the court had never played together before.

Unfortunately right now - the only games in our OOC slate that appear to potentially have a positive effect on our NCAA at-large bids are the Wisconsin game and 2nd game with that appearance. Alabama is on a similar path to Vandy right now in the SEC, near the bottom, and our next best hope is that maybe Old Dominion, SFU, or Radford finish in the top 2 of their leagues. And that probably won't help a whole lot.

CSUN was suppose to have a decent offense but a much worse defense than ours.
I don't think that is what I saw yesterday...

Is it correct that the last time we reached 4-0 was my senior year 1985-1986?
When we got to 8-0 then 12-1 with loss at AP #6...

Yes, I know it is because of how the schedule was set up...

ODU looks to be a pretty good game at this point. They play at VCU and at Illinois prior to hosting the Spiders. The will definitely be battle tested.
If ODU keeps winning - it could prove to be a good game on the schedule. We need them to win at least 1 of the VCU or Illinois matchup before they play UR.

10/17 & 10/18 Games:

A-10 Results:

1) Saint Louis loses to Seton hall 83-66. The Billikens were bullied on the glass ending up allowing 46 total rebounds and allowed the Seton Hall bench to have 9 offensive boards. The Billikens were 3-0 going into this one and nobody is surprised to see them lose to a good Seton Hall team.They went 5-14 from 3 and a brutal 23-41 from the free throw line. They also had 10 assists to 11 turnovers.

2) VCU beats Jacksonville State 93-65. The Rams allowed 14 offensive rebounds (while only pulling down 7) but had 23 assists to 16 turnovers. That turnover amount is now good for them but their opponent had 21 turnovers to only 7 assists. Five played scored in double digits but none had more than 13.

OOC Results:

1) St. Francis (PA) beats American 79-76. I left this game out on my previous post and it actually happened on Saturday the 16th. St. Francis had 10 offensive boards and lost the rebounding battle by 3. They had 8 assists to 8 turnovers while shooting 50%. It looks like they played a solid game and Blackmon led the team with 28. They are now 2-2 (this was their first home game of the season).

2) McNeese beats Arlington Baptist 103-51. Well I can't say this final score is surprising and I don't even know if Arlington Baptist is D2, 3, or NAIA. All I can say is the poor bastards were outrebounded 43-16 and that McNeese had 30 assists but somehow only shot 6 free throws. I don't think this game can provide us with anything of value

3) Wisconsin beats Marquette 77-61. This is the big one as the Badgers move to 3-0 at home! Wisconsin hands Marquette its first loss of the season and gets another win on the resume before playing us (they should add another against Green Bay before us). All 5 starters scored in double-digits and Pritzl off the bench scored 15 (and had 13 rebounds of which 6 were offensive). The rest of the team had 3 offensive rebounds. Pritzl was also the only player off the bench to play more than 6 minutes (two players played 6 minutes, nobody else more than 1). This is a team that doesn't look like it goes very deep and maybe we can take advantage of that. They were +8 in rebounds and had 11 assists to 12 turnovers.

10/19 and 10/20 Games:

A-10 Results:

1) Rhode Island beats Nicholls 70-65. You would expect Rhodey to win this one by more but a win is a win and they move to 3-1. Russell had 24 and Langevine had 10. They had only 14 assists to 16 turnovers though and had as many rebounds as Nicholls. Not the most encouraging game here.

2) Davidson beats Nevada 91-71 to get back to .500! The Wildcats now sit at 2-2 and four starters scored in double figures. Grady had 24, Brakjovic had 19, and Gudmundsson had 18. They forced 21 turnovers while only committing 8 which was the key to victory as they were outrebounded by 4.

3) Dayton beats Omaha 93-68 to move to 3-1. 5 players reached double figures and Obi Toppin led the way with 21. They had 21 assists to 10 turnovers and won the rebounding battle by 1. They were firing on all cylinders this game and only one starter played more than 30 minutes.

4) George Mason beats Loyola (MD) 65-61. Don't look now but George Mason is 5-0! Miller led the way with 23 points but the Patriots had 10 assists and 10 turnovers. More importantly their opponent had 14 assists and 7 rebounds. George Mason though had 23 offensive rebounds. That is not a typo. They had 19 more total rebounds than Loyola and it is amazing they only won by 4 with all those rebounds. They went 16-58 from the field (27.6%).

5) UMass beats Rider 82-72. Don't look now but the Minutemen are 5-0! Carl Pierre led the way with 23 points and TJ Weeks had 21 off the bench in 21 minutes (including 6-6 from deep). They had 20 assists and only 11 turnovers but were outrebounded by 12 including allowing 19 offensive rebounds. One of Rider's players had 20 rebounds in this game....despite only having 20 total rebounds in their first 3 games.

6) Saint Louis beats High Point 67-55 to move to 4-1. The Billikens were led by Gibson Jimerson with 25 points off the bench. Goodwin was the only other player with double figures with 19. They had 16 assists to 17 turnovers and won the rebounding battle by 4. They also pulled down 11 offensive boards.

This was a great 2 day stretch for the conference as they went 6-0!

OOC Play:

1) St. Francis (PA)
loses to Delaware by 15. This is a now 6-0 Delaware team who throttled St. Francis. Delaware won the rebounding battle by 2 but only had 6 offensive boards while allowing 11. St. Francis had only 9 assists to 10 turnovers and this was one I don't think anybody expected them to win as they move to 2-3.

2) Vanderbilt beats Austin Peay by 18 to move to 3-1. Vandy's lone loss is to us but in this one they only led by 1 at the half. Credit to them for shaking off a cold start. Nesmith had 26 points and Pippen Jr. had 21. They outrebounded the Governorns by 6 and had 18 assists to 10 turnovers.

3) Boston College beats Eastern Washington by 4 to move to 4-1. BC's lone loss was to a 4-1 Belmont team. The Eagles had 4 guys in double figures and won the rebounding battle by 2. They had 9 offensive rebounds but allowed 13. They had 14 assists and 14 turnovers.

4) South Alabama beats Spring Hill by 26. I know this was the game on everybody's minds today and we couldn't wait to see the outcome. Two guys on South Alabama scored 20+ and three others scored at least 10. They out-rebounded their D2 opponents by only 5 and had 14 offensive rebounds to Spring Hill's 13. South Alabama though had 20 assists on 11 turnovers and moved to 3-2.

5) Charleston beats Marshall by 10 to move to 3-1. Charleston's lone loss came to Oklahoma State. They lost the rebounding battle to Marshall by 6 and allowed 15 offensive boards. Charleston only had 8 assists on 30 made baskets and had 13 turnovers. Luckily their opponent also had only 8 assists but had 18 turnovers. They had 4 players score in double digits with Grant Riller leading the way with 22.

6) Old Dominion loses to James Madison by 2. The Monarchs had trouble stopping JMU as the Dukes had 3 players score 20+. Old Dominion had 3 players in double-digits with Xavier Green leading with 19. ODU had 17 offensive rebounds though and attempted 28 more shots than JMU. This game was ugly as James Madison went 19-36 from the free throw line and Old Dominion went 7-15. Old Dominion moves to 3-2.

7) Radford beats Northwestern by 11 to move to 2-2. Carlik Jones led the team with 20 off the bench and Travis Fields Jr. was the only other player in double figures with 15. They had 19 assists on 23 made shots and in addition to his 20 points Jones dished out 7 of those assists. Fields Jr. added 6 assists of his own. They only committed 12 turnovers and out-rebounded the Wildcats by 6.

8) Alabama beats Furman by 8 to move to 2-2. This was a big win for Bama as Furman came into the game 4-0. The Crimson Tide were led by Jaden Shackelford with 25 points off the bench while three starters also scored in double digits. Bama won the rebounding battle by 9 but allowed 12 offensive boards. They also had 11 assists to 21 turnovers!

Overall this was a great two days for our OOC opponents as well as they went 6-2 with the two losses being St. Francis & Old Dominion.

Delaware’s 2 transfers (Nate Darling & Justyn Mutts) seemed to help against St Francis...

Darling has been very good for the Hens. It sounds like Mutts is a little challenged offensively, but is a much needed athletic presence and rebounder.
Mutts is a name we have heard before. He seems to be doing ok in offensive rebounds & blocks.

11/21 Games

A-10 Play:

1) Duquesne
beats Indiana State by 3. Don't look now but Duquesne is 4-0! Also don't look now but they beat a 0-3 team by only 3! Everybody knows that anything goes in the Junkanoo Jam games though. Apparently that is some tournament and Duquesne is in it. The Dukes won the rebounding battle and Steele led the team with 20 points off the bench. They had only 8 assists to 12 turnovers.

2) Saint Joseph's loses to Florida by 8 in a game that goes full circle. St. Joseph's beat UConn who beat Florida proving that the transitive property does not work. The Hawks move to 2-3 after a game with 9 assists and 11 turnovers. They had 14 offensive boards though and Daly had 25 points but on 26 shots.

OOC Play:

1) Wisconsin
beats Green Bay 88-70 to move to 4-1. The Badgers final tuneup before our matchup was an easy one where they were +14 on the boards but only had 9 offensive rebounds (held their opponents to only 3). The Badgers had 24 assists on 32 made shots and all 5 starters and one bench player had double figures. Green Bay was 1-2 coming into this game.

2) Hampton beats Regent by 43. I don't know what division Regent is in but they are not good. They shot 19-70 from the field and 8-18 from the line. They had 23 turnovers but actually had 47 rebounds. The Pirates had 22 assists to 15 turnovers and won the rebounding battle by 1. They had 10 offensive boards but allowed Regent to bring down 19 offensive rebounds! Hampton moves to 3-0 on the season.

Not many games today but the OOC teams going 2-0 is what was expected. It would have been a travesty if either team had lost. Saint Joseph's losing to Florida is disappointing but I cannot say I am too surprised.

Haven't seen plydogg in a few days; hopefully he's chilling with family for Thanksgiving or maybe even up in Brooklyn.

Just a few updates:

Dayton wins big over Georgia in the Maui Jim Invitational. As I write this, Virginia "no good without Buzz" Tech is leading Michigan State late in the 2nd half. No doubt the organizers were hoping for a Michigan State vs Kansas final. They're not going to get it.

Duquesne won the Junkanoo Jam by sweeping the round robin tournament. No top teams in that one, but it's good for the conference.

South Alabama defeated 2019 CAA Champion Northeastern in their tournament. Also beneficial to our SOS.

Haven't seen plydogg in a few days; hopefully he's chilling with family for Thanksgiving or maybe even up in Brooklyn.

Just a few updates:

Dayton wins big over Georgia in the Maui Jim Invitational. As I write this, Virginia "no good without Buzz" Tech is leading Michigan State late in the 2nd half. No doubt the organizers were hoping for a Michigan State vs Kansas final. They're not going to get it.

Duquesne won the Junkanoo Jam by sweeping the round robin tournament. No top teams in that one, but it's good for the conference.

South Alabama defeated 2019 CAA Champion Northeastern in their tournament. Also beneficial to our SOS.

I was out of town for the weekend, wish I was in Brooklyn I would love to catch these games. These were all pretty big ones and some good press for the A-10

I was out of town for the weekend, wish I was in Brooklyn I would love to catch these games. These were all pretty big ones and some good press for the A-10
Out of town? You went to Maui?

If Kenpom = NET, (it doesn't but...) :

So far the A-10 has won
Away
57 UConn
Home
33 LSU
76 Belmont
78 Bama
87 Nevada
Neutral
51 Wisconsin
70 UGA
85 Rutgers

This week Neutral games
10 Purdue
18 Auburn
27 Marquette
29 VPI

If Kenpom = NET, (it doesn't but...) :

So far the A-10 has won
Away
57 UConn
Home
33 LSU
76 Belmont
78 Bama
87 Nevada
Neutral
51 Wisconsin
70 UGA
85 Rutgers

This week Neutral games
10 Purdue
18 Auburn
27 Marquette
29 VPI
VCU will also play either Florida State or Tennessee

On the other end of the spectrum...
CSUN finished 0-4 in the Legends Classic.
McNeese St. went 0-3.
Neither team has won a Division I game yet.
It's a shame McNeese skipped the Subregional, because one of them would have been guaranteed to pick up their first win.

McNeese St. went 0-3.
It's a shame McNeese skipped the Subregional, because one of them would have been guaranteed to pick up their first win.
True but beating a bad Quad 4 isn't that much worse than beating a good Quad 4...

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
McNeese St. went 0-3.

And ODU and Radford have been bleh. But with those games on road & neutral site back to back neither easy. Will have to grind those out. Goo Moos beating ODU is ok since we play Goo Moos twice. And frankly Radford will probably be closer to away game than neutral, sad to say. But if we go in there with stellar record should help us get more fan support. I may be there myself. Last year at that venue I was 1 of maybe 10 Richmond fans that didn't work for UR or related to a player.

Really not seeing possibility for an at large with this schedule. South Alabama and Charleston could be decent wins. The good thing is A10 looking good. We get VCU and Davidson twice. We play a loaded Dayton team at home.
Interesting note, South Alabama lost to Auburn by 1.

Really not seeing possibility for an at large with this schedule. South Alabama and Charleston could be decent wins. The good thing is A10 looking good. We get VCU and Davidson twice. We play a loaded Dayton team at home.
Interesting note, South Alabama lost to Auburn by 1.
Here is an interesting question.

Let’s say we lose all good games but only good games (@bama, @uri, both Broad Street, Dayton here, Dayton Brooklyn) so we are 27-7 on selection Sunday, but with Wisconsin and maybe @ Davidson as best wins. What does the committee do?

Here is an interesting question.

Let’s say we lose all good games but only good games (@bama, @uri, both Broad Street, Dayton here, Dayton Brooklyn) so we are 27-7 on selection Sunday, but with Wisconsin and maybe @ Davidson as best wins. What does the committee do?
If we are 27-7 on selection Sunday in this year's version of the A-10, we would be safely in.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
hmm, good question. The way Davidson and Wisconsin are looking, not sure how those wins would be viewed. To me it looks like a scenario in which we would get overlooked. Someone like Virginia Tech (with potentially some huge ACC wins) would knock us out, because they would have the big wins (already beating MSU + likely some top ACC teams). We really need to beat VCU at least once, and Dayton at home.

hmm, good question. The way Davidson and Wisconsin are looking, not sure how those wins would be viewed. To me it looks like a scenario in which we would get overlooked. Someone like Virginia Tech (with potentially some huge ACC wins) would knock us out, because they would have the big wins (already beating MSU + likely some top ACC teams). We really need to beat VCU at least once, and Dayton at home.
I'm gonna say this now and probably again. We are not beating Dayton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT