ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Opponent Thread

plydogg

Team Manager
Mar 2, 2018
Not sure if there has been a thread for this in the past but I regularly keep up with the teams on our schedule to see how they're looking for our future matchups as well as seeing how good or bad any wins or losses will end up.

I'm hoping this is something others will want to add to if they have any thoughts on any specific team on our schedule.

Wanted to start with this. 2 teams in the SEC tonight are playing and are on our schedules.

We get Vanderbilt on Thursday. They are losing at the half to Texas A&M Corpus-Christi 31-29. Corpus Christi is shooting 7-11 from deep and they have all been wide open looks. Vandy is being outrebounded at the half and were also outrebounded in their first game of the season (a 18 point win against SE Missouri State). Looking like this could be the type of matchup we can really take advantage of.

Alabama is up 18 on FAU at the half. They have 8 offensive rebounds (FAU has 9 defensive rebounds). That may suggest FAU is just bad but FAU has 9 offensive boards so they clearly can crash the glass. This could be a major red flag when it comes time for us to play Bama. We all know Bama lost their opener to Penn but they had 17 offensive rebounds in that game. This is a major worrying point to me.

I'll be adding to this throughout the season to try and do what I can to add to any scouting against our future opponents as well as the performance of those we've already played. Feel free to join in!

Vanderbilt beats Texas A&M Corpus-Christi 71-66. This was Corpus Christi's second loss of the season. The other loss came at home to Lousiana Tech by 33. Vandy lost the rebounding battle for the 2nd time this season. Corpus Christi also shot over 50% from 3 (majority were wide open attempts), so that type of shooting is unsustainable but it looks like we will get lots of open attempts from deep.

Announcer previewed their schedule and said their next two games are very winnable against Richmond and Austin Peay. We are currently being put in the same category as Austin Peay and that is not acceptable.

Also Bama is up 25 with a minute left on FAU. FAU is shooting 18% from 3 (5 for 28) and 29% from the free throw line (4 for 14)

More or less since we finished them off in the tournament, Vandy has been the Fordham of the SEC. Which I guess they sort of were before Stallings was there, too.

More or less since we finished them off in the tournament, Vandy has been the Fordham of the SEC. Which I guess they sort of were before Stallings was there, too.

Maybe the last two years, but certainly not since we beat them in 2011 and pre Stallings. They tied for 2nd in the SEC, won 25 games and went to the round of 32 the year after we beat them. Then, they added an NIT in 2015, tied for 3rd in the SEC and went to the dance in Stallings' last year in 2016, and made the dance in Drew's first year in 2017. And, their previous coach took them to 3 NITs and danced once in his 6 years there.

I hope you guys are right. but they look big and athletic. on verbalcommits, I see their guys had impressive offers. Clevon Brown, who we offered along with Notre Dame, Illinios, OK State, Texas, Auburn, etc .... looks like a problem to me. super athletic 6'8" big man. Nesmith is averaging 23 ppg and had Georgetown, Georgia, Clemson, Cinci, etc ... The PG Lee had Louisville, Stanford, FSU, etc ...

yeah, they lose a lot of game in conference. but that's a really legit conference. this is a tough game. I personally like this game as a fan. but if I was a scheduling consultant, I think this is the kind of game I'd avoid. I don't think you want to play talented, athletic teams that you can easily lose to that could end up with a 200 RPI.

yeah, they lose a lot of game in conference. but that's a really legit conference. this is a tough game. I personally like this game as a fan. but if I was a scheduling consultant, I think this is the kind of game I'd avoid. I don't think you want to play talented, athletic teams that you can easily lose to that could end up with a 200 RPI.
It's a good thing we didn't hire a scheduling consultant!

In opponents opponent news Winthrop just beat St Marys. Might be another indication Wisco is down because St Marys was ripe and Wisco couldn't do it on neutral floor.

With our too weak schedule Wisco would still be a good win, likely our best OOC if we win, but that game is really a must win.

And we *should* be 4-0 going into it setting up a big game for us.

I never load up on the Spids but Thurs is the time. Lets see the spread of course first. But that Vandy Candy ass is ours. We are an NCAA expected team loaded with experience who worked on defense all summer...defense defense defense. Vandy is young and worst team in SEC and their first road game. We are coming off a gutsy but lucky win.

Reactions: plydogg
Announcer previewed their schedule and said their next two games are very winnable against Richmond and Austin Peay. We are currently being put in the same category as Austin Peay and that is not acceptable
Vandy fans think UR is an easy win and UR fans think Vandy is easy win.

Seems like another 50/50 game to me and we will see how this team responds to a SEC opponent. I haven’t seen Vandy play, but reading the comments and a couple of articles about their game last night makes me think of Wake Forest games the last couple of years. Hopefully the home court turns out to be the advantage.

Ah, but this year is different. An NCAA bid is a "reasonable expectation."
If that is true, this should be an easy win. He didn't say it will be.
Did you watch the St. F game??? OMG how can you continue to have high aspirations for this team. An OT win mainly because their big man couldn't hit ft's. We also gave up nearly 100 points. That doesn't bode well when we play against even decent competition.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
The future is bright.
We have an NCAA-ready team.
We have the best class ever at UR.
Quad 3 & 4 games should be easy wins for a team such as this.
The future is bright.

I hope you guys are right. but they look big and athletic. on verbalcommits, I see their guys had impressive offers. Clevon Brown, who we offered along with Notre Dame, Illinios, OK State, Texas, Auburn, etc .... looks like a problem to me. super athletic 6'8" big man. Nesmith is averaging 23 ppg and had Georgetown, Georgia, Clemson, Cinci, etc ... The PG Lee had Louisville, Stanford, FSU, etc ...

Vandy went 0- 18 in the SEC last year and still finished 155 with kenpom. This is actually a great type of team to schedule, especially home and home because when we go there if they win about 4 sec games they will probably be quad 2.

Reactions: urfan1
we lose to Vanderbilt if Golden can't go.

A huge loss obv if he can't go. Was it limited when he came back in game Friday?

JOC does like to speculate but usually there is some basis for any said speculation.

That said word from UR yet is no surprise. Whether expected to play or not. We are 2+ days from game. This isn't nfl where you have to list limited practice availability.

I was shocked when he checked back in. couldn't put any weight on it just a minute or 2 earlier. and he definitely favored it in the game from then on. I wanted him out, but he's a gamer.

Vandy fans think UR is an easy win and UR fans think Vandy is easy win.

Seems like another 50/50 game to me and we will see how this team responds to a SEC opponent. I haven’t seen Vandy play, but reading the comments and a couple of articles about their game last night makes me think of Wake Forest games the last couple of years. Hopefully the home court turns out to be the advantage.
Espn has us favored over 75/25, for what it’s worth.

JOC does like to speculate but usually there is some basis for any said speculation.

I wanted him out, but he's a gamer.

Sounds like the coaches are leaning towards keeping him out, which is odd based on Gilly's groin injury during OOC play last year. As S-man says, Grant of course will want to play. Although the Spiders need him Thursday, my opinion is it is probably best if he sits.

Sounds like the coaches are leaning towards keeping him out, which is odd based on Gilly's groin injury during OOC play last year. As S-man says, Grant of course will want to play. Although the Spiders need him Thursday, my opinion is it is probably best if he sits.
If I had to bet on it, Grant plays. I don’t think the tweet reflects anything about what our coaches are thinking.

Horrific night in the league as we lose three rivalry games. Bona blown out by Siena, GW loses to AMERICAN, Davidson pummeled by Charlotte. Oof.

Update to reflect our future opponents:

The A10 ones have been mentioned but I will give a brief breakdown:

Duquesne: Got things done against a 2-0 Lamar team. Tied at the half but finished with a 10 point victory. 14 offensive boards and +9 in rebounding. This was a surprise after they beat Princeton by 27 but were -5 in rebounding differential.

UMass: Beat Northeastern to move to 3-0. This looks like a team that should be 5-0 going into their match with UVA on the 23rd. After UVA they play Rutgers and South Carolina.

GW: Lost a buy game to American. The epitome of brutality.

Davidson: 13 point loss to former A-10 member Charlotte. 0-2 is not a good look for them. Their next 4 games are not easy and there is a real chance they come out of there 1-5 or 2-4. They absolutely need to win all 4.

St. Bonaventure: 13 point loss to Siena to move to 0-3. Hopefully they can get a win before their matchup with D2 Gannon College in December.

Upcoming Opponents! Here were today's results

Cal State Northridge: Lost by 12 to Pepperdine to move to 0-3. They shot over 50% from 3 but were -7 in rebounding differential. Had 15 assists to 16 turnovers and shot 60% from the line (17-28). They trailed by as many as 25.

Hampton: Beat Newport News by 32. They are 2-0 but yet to play a D1 opponent. Really not much that can be useful here.

South Alabama: Lost by ONE to a ranked Auburn team. They outrebounded Auburn and only attempted 15 3's. I wish I could have watched this game but was stuck at work. This looks like it will be a pivotal game as I expect South Alabama to be 5-1 when we meet them.

Radford: Beat Bridgewater by 51. They are 1-0 against non-D1 schools and 0-1 against D1 (Liberty). Schedule doesn't look too difficult and they play Duquesne two games before us.

A few of our opponents play tomorrow and I will have updates then!

Duquesne: Got things done against a 2-0 Lamar team. Tied at the half but finished with a 10 point victory. 14 offensive boards and +9 in rebounding. This was a surprise after they beat Princeton by 27 but were -5 in rebounding differential.

UMass: Beat Northeastern to move to 3-0. This looks like a team that should be 5-0 going into their match with UVA on the 23rd. After UVA they play Rutgers and South Carolina.

Davidson: 13 point loss to former A-10 member Charlotte. 0-2 is not a good look for them. Their next 4 games are not easy and there is a real chance they come out of there 1-5 or 2-4. They absolutely need to win all 4.

St. Bonaventure: 13 point loss to Siena to move to 0-3. Hopefully they can get a win before their matchup with D2 Gannon College in December.

Cal State Northridge: Lost by 12 to Pepperdine to move to 0-3. They shot over 50% from 3 but were -7 in rebounding differential. Had 15 assists to 16 turnovers and shot 60% from the line (17-28). They trailed by as many as 25.

Hampton: Beat Newport News by 32. They are 2-0 but yet to play a D1 opponent. Really not much that can be useful here.

South Alabama: Lost by ONE to a ranked Auburn team. They outrebounded Auburn and only attempted 15 3's. I wish I could have watched this game but was stuck at work. This looks like it will be a pivotal game as I expect South Alabama to be 5-1 when we meet them.

Radford: Beat Bridgewater by 51. They are 1-0 against non-D1 schools and 0-1 against D1 (Liberty). Schedule doesn't look too difficult and they play Duquesne two games before us.

Good stuff. Keep it coming. Thanks.

Horrific night in the league as we lose three rivalry games. Bona blown out by Siena, GW loses to AMERICAN, Davidson pummeled by Charlotte. Oof.

Joey Bags didn't see this coming. But that's why you don't rely on A10. Yeah we should be a little better and quite a ways to go, but the A10 has been down for a while and the precedent not there to think it can prop up your overall schedule.

Another reason why our OOC schedule was never strong enough. We tried to warn the Who's on First crew of Hardt, Mooney, Joey Bags, Philly Bob etc. but to no avail. Did get some "perfect" schedule analysis on here tho.

Mooney toughest in A10 was just a bait & switch save the job proclamation, that was an easy tell. However I think many years ago Mooney would have wanted that tougher schedule. I don't know but think it changed when the admin cut his nuts off when the Robins Center blue hairs complained about him dropping so many F bombs.

Thank you for doing this. I've enjoyed the info :)

Reactions: nathanw19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT