ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Opponent Thread

If we are 27-7 on selection Sunday in this year's version of the A-10, we would be safely in.
I feel like we should be because we would have a bunch of #120 wins, while most 27-7 have beaten a bunch of #200 teams.

hmm, good question. The way Davidson and Wisconsin are looking, not sure how those wins would be viewed. To me it looks like a scenario in which we would get overlooked. Someone like Virginia Tech (with potentially some huge ACC wins) would knock us out, because they would have the big wins (already beating MSU + likely some top ACC teams). We really need to beat VCU at least once, and Dayton at home.
They did leave a 28-win UNCG team out last year, and #20 28-win SMC the year before, but 27-7 from the A-10? I don't see it. I know Davidson was #2 in the A-10 last year and wasn't even on the bubble at 24 wins, but had they won 27 I think they would have been in.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
They did leave a 28-win UNCG team out last year, and #20 28-win SMC the year before, but 27-7 from the A-10? I don't see it. I know Davidson was #2 in the A-10 last year and wasn't even on the bubble at 24 wins, but had they won 27 I think they would have been in.
At this point I am looking for an 11-1 start, a 9-1 finish, 2-1 in Brooklyn, and avoid going 4-5 in the middle.

Bama & all of January looks tough.

I feel like we should be because we would have a bunch of #120 wins, while most 27-7 have beaten a bunch of #200 teams.
The only 27-28 win teams that get left out our from low mid major conferences. I can't see an A-10 team being that situation, particularly with the A-10 being seemingly much improved this year.

I think it is a moot point, because I don't see us winning 27 games in this year's A-10. Too many good teams this year and a couple Top 25 teams in VCU and Dayton.

I think it is a moot point, because I don't see us winning 27 games in this year's A-10. Too many good teams this year and a couple Top 25 teams in VCU and Dayton.
yeah, this would be a great problem to have. 27 is a lot of wins, though.

I know.

But I will say at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if we were favored in 18 of our remaining 25 games, with @davidson & @duquesne as part of the 7 losses. And then there is Brooklyn.

I know that being favored by a point in 10 games doesn’t mean 10-0, but I’m not sure 24-10 is completely out of the question, even if unlikely.

Here is an interesting question.

Let’s say we lose all good games but only good games (@bama, @uri, both Broad Street, Dayton here, Dayton Brooklyn) so we are 27-7 on selection Sunday, but with Wisconsin and maybe @ Davidson as best wins. What does the committee do?
Don't have to worry about this, 27-7 is not on the agenda

Reactions: ur2K
I know.

But I will say at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if we were favored in 18 of our remaining 25 games, with @davidson & @duquesne as part of the 7 losses. And then there is Brooklyn.

I know that being favored by a point in 10 games doesn’t mean 10-0, but I’m not sure 24-10 is completely out of the question, even if unlikely.
It may not seem like it, but the gulf is pretty wide between 24-10 and 27-7.

yeah, this would be a great problem to have. 27 is a lot of wins, though.
I can't believe we're actually talking about getting to 27 wins. I'm standing pat that I think we're going to be around 18. If we got to 27 that would be a major overachievement in my view.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
I can't believe we're actually talking about getting to 27 wins. I'm standing pat that I think we're going to be around 18. If we got to 27 that would be a major overachievement in my view.

We need to show we can hit 3s against a good defense before I get too excited about this years team. Of we were hitting 45% against Auburn (like we did against bad defenses) we likely would have won.

I am very interested in the Dayton vs Kansas game tonight. I think Dayton has a very good chance. They are looking like a final four team to me.
Whoa, hoss. I like Dayton a lot too, but lets remember this is Dayton. Dayton is coached by Anthony Grant.

Reactions: spider23
Someone seems to have changed their predictions
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/team-predict-schedule?team=Richmond

Since rivals keeps updating I can't find his preseason or so prediction.

Team/Overall/A-10/Quad1/Quad2
Dayton/29-2/17-1/7-2/5-0
VCU/26-4/16-2/3-3/6-1
Duquesne/25-5/13-5/0-4/3-1 ?

Davidson/16-13/12-6/0-7/4-2

UR/23-8/11-7/0-6/2-1

GMU//22-9/11-7/0-7/3-2
SLU/20-10/11-7/1-7/2-2

URI/13-17/7-11/0-8/1-6 ?

Last edited:
I know it's good for us and our league when vcu wins, but man I love seeing them lose back to back days.

Yep. I don't care if it hurts our league profile a bit, I love seeing them get put in their place. They can kiss their Top 25 ranking goodbye and they now have the second best record in RVA.

I was actually torn here. First time long time? Maybe I rooted for em when we had past at large chances I don't remember. Normally I'd feel like u but cuz our schedule too weak imo we probably need them. Look they're gonna be in the dance bc that's what they do, so if they're gonna be there we'll for sure need a W over them. If the OOC isn't carrying us we need the A10 to help, and gotta have some top of the line ones like UD and VCU. Burden of not scheduling hard enough with a NCAA caliber team. If we didn't have our own NCAA team this would not be the case.

So is it just me or do we have a ton of games where I wouldn’t guarantee the winner?

Just finished watching LaSalle vs Villanova. LaSalle lost, but played hard the whole game. We split with them last year and they look improved to me. They were down 20 at the half but got lead down to 10 opening the 2nd. Used a fair amount of pressure, both full and 3/4 court and caused numerous turnovers. Croswell played real well in post. Going to be quite a battle I think.

BC loses badly at home to NW and ODU got killed by W&M. The ODU as a rivalry away game won't be easy but absolute must win now. Add St Joes thrashed by Lafayette at home. I'm telling you our OOC is not up to snuff. We can get in if we keep winning but the difficulty increases without the OOC helping.

Vandy with good halftime lead need them to come thru at least.

BC loses badly at home to NW and ODU got killed by W&M. The ODU as a rivalry away game won't be easy but absolute must win now. Add St Joes thrashed by Lafayette at home. I'm telling you our OOC is not up to snuff. We can get in if we keep winning but the difficulty increases without the OOC helping.

What is up with St. Joe's, spanked Uconn, now getting spanked by an Alex Petrie less Lafayette team?

Looks like USA is the best non P5 opponent so far. And starts 5 seniors and has 11 days off.

I also see Dayton plays St. Mary’s in Phoenix on Sunday.
SMC has had single digit losses 9 of 12 years. But 4 times with single digit losses on Selection Sunday they were not an At-Large. Including 5 losses in March 2018&2016.

We should be favored in our next 4 games. ODU really looks bad. Did they lose a bunch from last year?
If we TCOB, we might even be favored heading to Alabama at 11-1.

It is possible that our only OOC opponents in the Top 100 will be the two Brooklyn games. I think Alabama will probably still finish Top 100, but it's not a given. They scheduled a tough OOC, which is offsetting their 3-4 record to date.

Any thoughts on how improved Duquesne is vs their record being because of their schedule?
It does seem Steele has made some things click...

I don't think Auburn is nearly as good as they were last year. Who have they beat this year that is any good? They almost lost to South Alabama (and don't tell me they are a good team), they only beat an awful Davidson team by 10(Wake beat Davidson by 12 and Wake is terrible), and now they are struggling against Furman. Our OOC is so weak it is a joke and it has given so many of you false hope. I am enjoying watching us win as opposed to losing to terrible teams like in recent years. But until we play well against and beat a legitimate basketball team, which our next opportunity isn't until late January against Dayton, no one can truly say we are an NCAA tournament team.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Maybe the best thing we could do to secure a bid is win the A-10 regular-season. I know St. Bonaventure got left out when they tied for first, but our conference should be pretty good this year, and if you finish first in the regular season, that should help your chances tremendously.

Reactions: nathanw19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT