ADVERTISEMENT

Responsible persons for billboard

that's twice that I've read that it took guts. no, it didn't. it took a checkbook.

and their explanation, that they've tried everything else without resolution? lol. so you didn't get what you wanted instantly? wow, must be frustrating.

finally, I wish you didn't sign your personal opinion, even if it's popular here, as being from Richmond Fans and Alumni as if you speak for all of us. I'm sure depending on your leaning you wouldn't appreciate me advertising my personal thoughts on Donald Trump and signing it from Richmond Fans and Alumni.
It would be Richmond fan and alumnus for you.

Coming from an outsider, unless he wins the A10 championship, he is gone after this year.

The "classless" can be debated, but I sure don't think there was anything cowardly at all in this act. I think that it took a lot of guts to do something this drastic, knowing all along that they would come under a lot of fire for doing the billboard. Think what you want about the act, but I think the guys who contracted the billboard are among our most ardent, diehard fans around. At least they put their $$ where their mouth is....
This was done by a petulant child using Daddy's credit card. There was no courage in this.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
This was done by a petulant child using Daddy's credit card. There was no courage in this.
I expect that’s as inaccurate as is the notion that it was courageous.

Folks, these are fans who want a change. They are obviously willing to make their displeasure very publicly known. There’s no real denying that we’ve had a very lackluster last 8 years. If you want to argue that, there’s not much room for concession other than admitting folks have different expectations of what’s acceptable.

They’ve taken the billboard down. May be time to just let this go.

A lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too on both sides. I don't want this to come off as me picking a side or advocating one way or another on this issue. Im just so tired of coming to the boards and this being almost the only topic of conversation as if nothing else is going on in the program so please dont try and advocate to me why Mooney has to stay or go in response. Ive always said I don't care what you opinion is so long as you can back it up with some good facts but Im not interested in it at this moment. Ill go read the other 3000 posts about it if I want.

Guys its okay to want a new coach and even put up a billboard about it. Many fans feel this has run its course and I have no problem with them feeling such even if I don't share the same beliefs. However, that does not mean those responsible should be free from criticism or challenged on those beliefs espiecally when done in such a public way while being anonymous. Expect blowback.. I don't understand why the defenders of the sign are complaining about that. Not everyone agrees with you. People on the other side of the argument cant help but laugh at the "I support the players, but not the coach narrative" when the coach is who brought them here and is the person working to develop them it doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? Basically from the way I have observed the actions over the past two seasons it comes off as if only your feelings on this season matter and no one else.(We suck so F what our players think[even though we support them!], F what our fans on the other side think if you support him your holding our program back, F Mooney Ive forgetten any and all the good hes done to this university on the court and off).

Its also okay to think that since this coach has experienced success (Sorry we've had A10 POY, ROY, Championships and Tournament Appearances, that's a sign of good coaching, perhaps not as consistent as anyone would like but there is a resume. Its not like nothing was ever accomplished during his tenure.) can turn it back around after a lot of unexpected attrition (Fore, Buck, Sherrod). People who support this theme are not "truthers" although some on here have had their head in the sand weather it be about overhyping recruits or dismissing losses of players that the program is fine. Also, Coach Mooney will be fine through all of this so no need to constantly have to defend him as a person, everyone knows hes a great guy including the people calling for his head. As I said its okay to put the sign up, just sign your name to it so we know who you are.

I have my own set of beliefs that fall on a more moderate tone which I know probably doesn't have much place on these boards. I didn't have any expectations for this season so not to surprised or upset at where we are at from that standpoint. That doesnt mean I am happy about our performance and that doesn't mean I am holding the program back because I still choose to support it whoever the coach is and the players are.

I dont know what my point of this post was other then stop and take a minute to listen to other peoples opinions without sniping at each other. There is validity to both arguments that are being drowned out by hyperbole. Most people on here are good people and passionate about this program. I just wish we weren't so fixated on trying to convince people that our opinions are absolutes, and just want to hear it out of other peoples mouths.

Ferrum, this is a good post. I think your call to listen is a good one. I wish Hardt and the administration would do a better job of listening as well. I'm glad Fan1 told them that a sizeable portion of the fanbase is pretty upset about the direction of the program and glad they at least acknowledged to him that they have heard complaints.

I don't expect Hardt to come out and tell the world what he is going to do after the season, but think more needs to be done from him and the athletic department in terms of listening and hearing the various factions. I think every business needs to engage their stakeholders, the ones saying positive things about the business and the critical ones as well. If you e-mail him, you get a canned response, he has gone on the radio a couple times and done a lot of talking, but not much listening. Sometimes, you learn the most by just listening.

Of course, I do a lot of "talking" on these boards and must remember that at the end of the day, we are all Spiders.
Whatever happens, I hope we don't have to suffer through anymore seasons like these past two have been.

feel there is a huge difference between a social media board like this where we are all anonymous and putting up a public billboard where a man's wife and kids can see it and then hide behind, UR ALUMNI. resent that these people placed me on that billboard, all of us on that billboard yet probably is a handful or less number of alums. again, if you did this publicly, you should not have a hiding place, you should come forward and just say, it was us, otherwise, you are just plain weak sisters. my thoughts are not about whether CM should be let go or not but is about the manner in which some want to express themselves. just hope that i don't know any of you because you lost my respect with your actions. you can hate all you want and say anything you want but have some class but if not, don't include the other alums, should be just your names. think most of us know very little about the inner workings of the contract and what is going on within the Robins Center and that is they way it should work, who the heck wants a bunch of us micro-managing their business or how they do their business.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
feel there is a huge difference between a social media board like this where we are all anonymous and putting up a public billboard where a man's wife and kids can see it and then hide behind, UR ALUMNI. resent that these people placed me on that billboard, all of us on that billboard yet probably is a handful or less number of alums. again, if you did this publicly, you should not have a hiding place, you should come forward and just say, it was us, otherwise, you are just plain weak sisters. my thoughts are not about whether CM should be let go or not but is about the manner in which some want to express themselves. just hope that i don't know any of you because you lost my respect with your actions. you can hate all you want and say anything you want but have some class but if not, don't include the other alums, should be just your names. think most of us know very little about the inner workings of the contract and what is going on within the Robins Center and that is they way it should work, who the heck wants a bunch of us micro-managing their business or how they do their business.
WAAAAAAAAAA
Just kidding Spinner.
Guess we will never know who is behind it, but seriously WAAAAAAA

@AnnapSpider what do your non-spider fan friends think of the UR basketball program? What do they say when the topic comes up? General impressions? I promise this isn’t a loaded question, I’m genuinely interested. Most of us on this board are very emotionally invested in the school and program and issues like this billboard thing bring those emotions to a crescendo. I’m always curious what non-biased/ non-invested folks think.
They know we’re not good, and that a change would be in our best interest. But at the same time,they think
that the billboard was classless. It prevents an opposing view. No one is going to pay for a billboard to
keep Chris.
Also, I think it was cowardly that the board was put up by “anonymous” That’s where the cowardly comes
from.
I hope this works itself out, but right now, it’s pretty ugly.

They know we’re not good, and that a change would be in our best interest. But at the same time,they think
that the billboard was classless. It prevents an opposing view. No one is going to pay for a billboard to
keep Chris.
Also, I think it was cowardly that the board was put up by “anonymous” That’s where the cowardly comes
from.

I am glad you recognize that it's ugly -- To be honest, it's been ugly for a long time now. I hope that this will be a catalyst for cleaning the whole damn thing up.

keep Chris.
from.

I know we all want to move on from the whole billboard thing but the last thing I will say on the topic is I think the anonymous aspect may have been done to avoid economic and other backlash by angry supporters of the program. I know that sounds very dramatic and conspiratorial but it's my understanding that's what was starting to happen and was the primary reason why the billboard has been pulled from rotation. If true I think its sad that people would threaten others economically just because they expressed an opinion that they didn't agree with. I think we need a change but I would gladly sit down over a beer and discuss the issue with anyone who is staunchly in support of Coach Mooney and hear them out.

In terms of the "classless" nature of the billboard: I just think the folks who put it up are really frustrated and don't feel the the administration or AD is hearing their concerns. You can only write so many e-mails and we all know that Coach isn't going to turn his call-in show into a fan vent fest every week. We are a private institution but Coach is a public figure, and a very handsomely compensated one at that. There was nothing illegal or defamatory about the billboard. If any of you want to put up a similar billboard about me and give me 13 million dollars, my family and I will swallow our pride and somehow manage ;) In all seriousness we desperately need some good mojo soon on the court/field to bring our fanbase together.

Reactions: KWeaver
Folks, these are fans who want a change. They are obviously willing to make their displeasure very publicly known. There’s no real denying that we’ve had a very lackluster last 8 years. If you want to argue that, there’s not much room for concession other than admitting folks have different expectations of what’s acceptable.

They’ve taken the billboard down. May be time to just let this go.
how many FMM are we talking about here anyway? I know CM is unpopular here. did you all contribute to the billboard? I didn't see a request for donation. So was this bought buy just a handful of people, signing it "UR Alumni & Spider Fans" as if it speaks for all of us?

Saying it took guts is a funny. unless you're saying they realized there could be repercussions and they decided to do it anyway. but that doesn't seem like the case, as they quickly took it down out of fear of those repercussions.

3 things I wonder about the billboard:

1) Timing - FMM said the idea had been percolating since last Spring, but the timing wasn’t right. Why was last week the right time?

2) Message - If the message was “Save Richmond Basketball, time for a change Spider AD” would that have received less outage?

3) Responsibility- if the message was signed #FMM or something similar would that have made a difference.

In any case the billboard is deactivated and as some predicted there are no outward signs of change. No comment from the AD and in the latest JOC article in the RTD, CM said that he had nothing to say about the billboard. Mums the word.

Last edited:
Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means that a particular endeavour is a waste of time as there will be no outcome, such as flogging a dead horse, will not cause it to feel pain or anything else.

I just think the folks who put it up are really frustrated and don't feel the the administration or AD is hearing their concerns.
I've read that a few times here, Cap. "nobody is hearing our concerns". waaa. if they're calling and sending emails, their concerns are being heard. but they're frustrated because they're not getting their way. they're frustrated because they've demanded a midseason firing and it hasn't happened. the "petulant child" term is 100% accurate. Hardt made it clear that it wouldn't happen midseason. in his determination, that's what's best for the school and the athletes. but that wasn't good enough for this FMM guy.

I'm not even arguing for CM to stay on. I think things have gotten too toxic. it's too big a distraction. we should move on assuming we can raise the buyout, which I'm not sure is such a slam dunk and a non-issue as some here think.

but I do think the FMM guy hurt his own cause with this stunt. no school or AD wants to be backed into a corner and have their hand forced.

how many FMM are we talking about here anyway? I know CM is unpopular here. did you all contribute to the billboard? I didn't see a request for donation. So was this bought buy just a handful of people, signing it "UR Alumni & Spider Fans" as if it speaks for all of us?

Saying it took guts is a funny. unless you're saying they realized there could be repercussions and they decided to do it anyway. but that doesn't seem like the case, as they quickly took it down out of fear of those repercussions.

@spiderman, would the billboard have been more palatable to you if it read "Some select UR Alumni & Spider Fans"? Saying it was classless, gutless, etc is up to the individual's interpretation in my opinion. Personally, I'm in favor of a coaching change but I wouldn't have wasted money on the billboard since I don't think the powers that be will be swayed by it and that they really care about winning and going to the NCAA tournament as evidenced by the last 8 years.

Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means that a particular endeavour is a waste of time as there will be no outcome, such as flogging a dead horse, will not cause it to feel pain or anything else.

It's a message board. No one on here has any power to change anything. We know that and you've made it very clear that the power's that be aren't swayed by little ole fans. It's just venting. Just don't read the board if these posts are so annoying.

I've read that a few times here, Cap. "nobody is hearing our concerns". waaa. if they're calling and sending emails, their concerns are being heard. but they're frustrated because they're not getting their way. they're frustrated because they've demanded a midseason firing and it hasn't happened. the "petulant child" term is 100% accurate. Hardt made it clear that it wouldn't happen midseason. in his determination, that's what's best for the school and the athletes. but that wasn't good enough for this FMM guy.

I'm not even arguing for CM to stay on. I think things have gotten too toxic. it's too big a distraction. we should move on assuming we can raise the buyout, which I'm not sure is such a slam dunk and a non-issue as some here think.

but I do think the FMM guy hurt his own cause with this stunt. no school or AD wants to be backed into a corner and have their hand forced.

Very fair points.

Thought I was clear but obviously not enough. Meeting was before the BB event. The purpose of the meeting was my desire to state my observation about the number of fans that appear to be upset with the state of our program. The staff member seemed to acknowledge they were aware and talked about the large number of complaints they were receiving. My comment about the BB was I felt it would deepen the divisions between our fans.
Good stuff Fan1. Appreciate you passing along your observations. I hope the "staff member" was Hardt. I think between the billboard, callers on the radio, emails, etc. he would seem to be getting a clear picture of the fan disdain for Mooney. Obviously you would think 8 years of no NCAA and wasting the talent of the likes of Terry Allen, TJ and Shawndre would be enough evidence, but I think every little spitball on his Triumvirate armor will help.

And yes, for the elitists on here - I understand your message: The basketball program is not really for the fans, it's for the BOT, admin and large donors. They are the one's that really understand things, even though they can't seem to figure out how to win at the level they supposedly are looking to achieve.

The timing was peculiar. Hardt had already said "now is not the time." There was a case for a midseason firing after the Hampton loss, but Nick had just gone down with injury, and it just doesn't seem like Hardt's style. This wasn't going to do anything but hurt (their cause).
Another ugly quarterfinal (or earlier) exit in the A10 tourney, and Mooney still has a job on selection Sunday? Yeah, then I can see the billboard going up.

I would use facts (maybe a different one each rotation - might cost a lot more) instead of the hashtag. "Longest NCAA drought since the 70s" - stuff like that. Keep the Save Richmond Basketball. But, it's not my "brand" and I'm kinda boring.

I’m not sure why you’re directing that to me. I’m neither a FMM member nor did I participate in this. I’ve also stated that I think it was a bad decision.

But to answer your question, last I checked there were over 400 followers on the FMM account so I think they’ve got a lot of supporters. I don’t think it was put out to bid to contribute but I wouldn’t know. I suspect it was pretty closely funded.

I have no opinion on how gutsy it was. I’m sure it looks heroic to some and cowardly to others. To middle people like me it can be either.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I’m not sure why you’re directing that to me. I’m neither a FMM member nor did I participate in this. I’ve also stated that I think it was a bad decision.

But to answer your question, last I checked there were over 400 followers on the FMM account so I think they’ve got a lot of supporters. I don’t think it was put out to bid to contribute but I wouldn’t know. I suspect it was pretty closely funded.

I have no opinion on how gutsy it was. I’m sure it looks heroic to some and cowardly to others. To middle people like me it can be either.

Do you really think 400 is a lot? Considering what they are trying to accomplish, that seems awfully small to me.

Do you really think 400 is a lot? Considering what they are trying to accomplish, that seems awfully small to me.
Idk. What’s the right number at which it matters? If all 400 are season ticket holders then sure, that’s probably significant.

Last edited:

It’s about 5.5% of people who follow richmond men’s basketball on Twitter (about 8100 to 460) and about 13.5% of those that follow richmond men’s basketball on Instagram (about 3390 to 460).

I don’t think either the 8100 or 460 are representative of all richmond fans or all fans of a coaching change respectively. Also, it’s been a long time since I took stats to tell if it’s significant or not.

Disagree. These are diehard fans with pride in their Spiders. Most of the Mooney truthers/suckers are likely personal friends, parents of players,
Mooney staffers and family, and will fly as Mooney flies. They are here to defend CM aNd root for the Spiders until their personal connection is gone. Anyone defending Mooney and supporting him returning are in bed with him, literally, and should be ignored.

Disagree. These are diehard fans with pride in their Spiders. Most of the Mooney truthers/suckers are likely personal friends, parents of players,
Mooney staffers and family, and will fly as Mooney flies. They are here to defend CM aNd root for the Spiders until their personal connection is gone. Anyone defending Mooney and supporting him returning are in bed with him, literally, and should be ignored.
This is the point I am making too. To support Mooney now, is almost treason against Richmond basketball. It is sooo many excuses as to why we have slipped into mediocrity. I just don't remember the excuse mongering with our other coaches.
This Looonarty thing does seem like a clear indication that he gets at least another year. It's a ridiculous smoke screen when you look at how awful our OOC was this year. It does not take a "bracketologist" to improve it 5 times over.

Ohhh, so Richmond Basketball is a dead horse. That is very uplifting. Under Mooney I have to agree.

I think you might be smoking a little too much weed. Cockroaches? The nice thing about loving our basketball program is that we will support it regardless of who the coach is.
That's the bad part, I think most fans support the players. I know I do.

BUT, I think a good size contingent (just look a the pathetic crowds) have bailed on Mooney and confidence in the administration to hire/fire coaches. As unbelievably ugly as the situation is now, it could get uglier with bringing Mooney back and/or a bad hire.

Can we try to use a little more civility folks? Where one falls on the spectrum of supporing the coach has nothing to do with your fan “character”. We’re all fans.

Lighten up. I changed my avatar today to inspire more serenity. I think everyone could benefit from a deep breath.

That's the bad part, I think most fans support the players. I know I do.

BUT, I think a good size contingent (just look a the pathetic crowds) have bailed on Mooney and confidence in the administration to hire/fire coaches. As unbelievably ugly as the situation is now, it could get uglier with bringing Mooney back and/or a bad hire.

Thank you. This sums up my feelings perfectly. I never say anything bad about the players. They're kids.

You've got it all wrong... the "petulant child" is the likes of DQ and big donors who think that they can throw money around and always get their way. Are they the adults in the room? If so, then its their actions that caused the reaction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT