ADVERTISEMENT

Responsible persons for billboard

Cockroaches? I don't think Mooney is going anywhere. However, the nice thing about some of us who love our basketball program is that we will support it regardless of who the coach is.
And has that gotten us where we are now? Do you think some Fordham fans support the program no matter what and don't say a word? Obviously, yes, that's why nothing ever improves and they play to empty gyms. I guess that happening to Richmond basketball is fine by you. But I say a fan like you is a worthless fan. You're a failure enabler pretending to be a fan. "Ra Ra Ra Go Spiders, but I don't care if they win or lose, I just hope no one gets hurt and they shake hands at the end. And everyone gets a trophy."

Reactions: 97spiderfan
And has that gotten us where we are now? Do you think some Fordham fans support the program no matter what and don't say a word? Obviously, yes, that's why nothing ever improves and they play to empty gyms. I guess that happening to Richmond basketball is fine by you. But I say a fan like you is a worthless fan. You're a failure enabler pretending to be a fan. "Ra Ra Ra Go Spiders, but I don't care if they win or lose, I just hope no one gets hurt and they shake hands at the end. And everyone gets a trophy."
I can’t disagree more. I don’t always agree with UR80, but he’s a great fan.

We all want the same thing, we just have different approaches to making it happen.

Disagree. These are diehard fans with pride in their Spiders. Most of the Mooney truthers/suckers are likely personal friends, parents of players,
Mooney staffers and family, and will fly as Mooney flies. They are here to defend CM aNd root for the Spiders until their personal connection is gone. Anyone defending Mooney and supporting him returning are in bed with him, literally, and should be ignored.
It is ironical that two or three years ago most everyone on this board opposed your arguments about Mooney's deficiencies and now most all of those same posters are firmly in your camp.
My hat off to you for standing your ground.

Reactions: KWeaver

Why so much hate and anger? And, how do you get "worthless fan" and "failure enabler" from "love our program and will support it regardless of the coach"? As for Fordham, I don't think they went 13-5 and 9-9 in our conference the last two seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: LKNSPIDER
Counting this season, Fordham is 13 - 37 in the A-10 the past three seasons, and 25 -61 the past five. We are 28-22 the last three and 47 - 39 the past five. Stop looking silly and comparing us to Fordham.

We are basically a D-3 program masquerading and spending money like a D-1 program at this point. They can bring Mooney back next year and alienate 1/2 the fan base. Those that support Mooney, I think as Father said, either have some personal connection to him, this staff, the players or who just the type of fans who like to come out and get good cheap seats at the RC, and don't really care whether we win or lose.

Reactions: wr70beh
Counting this season, Fordham is 13 - 37 in the A-10 the past three seasons, and 25 -61 the past five. We are 28-22 the last three and 47 - 39 the past five. Stop looking silly and comparing us to Fordham.
Having a fanbase and admin that do not care about producing a winning team puts us on par with Fordham. And as of late we are certainly trending in their direction and moving away from programs like VCU.

Why so much hate and anger? And, how do you get "worthless fan" and "failure enabler" from "love our program and will support it regardless of the coach"? As for Fordham, I don't think they went 13-5 and 9-9 in our conference the last two seasons.
I get that from him saying he will support the program no matter who is coaching it meaning even if the admin supports the continued employment of an incompetent coach, he is a worthless fan who really doesnt give a turd about the program. A healthy program is one with a winning environment, not one that flounders in a mediocre conference against inferior opponents.

Reactions: spider23

Why so much BS from you?

I get that from him saying he will support the program no matter who is coaching it meaning even if the admin supports the continued employment of an incompetent coach, he is a worthless fan who really doesnt give a turd about the program. A healthy program is one with a winning environment, not one that flounders in a mediocre conference against inferior opponents.

So, why be so angry at someone who wants to support our program? Why call that person a worthless fan? Seems like that type of fan is just the opposite of that. And, a program that goes 12-6, 13-5, and 9-9 in our conference 3 of the past 4 seasons is far from "floundering".

Having a fanbase and admin that do not care about producing a winning team puts us on par with Fordham. And as of late we are certainly trending in their direction and moving away from programs like VCU.

Have you ever thought that maybe some fans who disagree with you care very much about winning, and that is why they like recently going 13-5 and 12-6 in our conference and sweeping VCU last year? The Fordham comparison by some of you says it all. You and others act like we have had non stop losing seasons like Fordham when that is far from the truth.

Have you ever thought that maybe some fans who disagree with you care very much about winning, and that is why they like recently going 13-5 and 12-6 in our conference and sweeping VCU last year? The Fordham comparison by some of you says it all. You and others act like we have had non stop losing seasons like Fordham when that is far from the truth.
We haven’t had non-stop losing seasons. However, we haven’t had winning seasons enough to make it to the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

Also, when talking about records, please don’t ignore facts. Yes, we were 13-5 and and 12-6 2 and 4 years ago (respectively), and yes we did sweep VCU last year.

However, those are the only 2 years in the last 8 (including this year) that we have a record over .500 in conference (6-8, 9-9, 13-5, 7-11, 12-6, 8-8, 8-8, 7-9).

Furthermore our record against VCU in those years is 5-12 (0-1, 2-0, 0-3, 0-2, 2-1, 0-3, 1-1, 0-1).

The full story is much more telling than a few cherry picked records.

We haven’t had non-stop losing seasons. However, we haven’t had winning seasons enough to make it to the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

Also, when talking about records, please don’t ignore facts. Yes, we were 13-5 and and 12-6 2 and 4 years ago (respectively), and yes we did sweep VCU last year.

However, those are the only 2 years in the last 8 (including this year) that we have a record over .500 in conference (6-8, 9-9, 13-5, 7-11, 12-6, 8-8, 8-8, 7-9).

Furthermore our record against VCU in those years is 5-12 (0-1, 2-0, 0-3, 0-2, 2-1, 0-3, 1-1, 0-1).

The full story is much more telling than a few cherry picked records.

Yes, but they are 2 recent years and the VCU sweep was last year. I was responding to a post saying we are floundering lately and way behind VCU. And, how am I ignoring facts when showing our records and Fordhams? Seems like others are ignoring those facts when comparing us to them. But, fine, include it all, but then why stop at 8 years? How do things look if you go back 10 years?

It is ironical that two or three years ago most everyone on this board opposed your arguments about Mooney's deficiencies and now most all of those same posters are firmly in your camp.
My hat off to you for standing your ground.
Gives me no satisfaction. CM’s unwillingness to ever change defenses, his clock management, his panicking at end of games, his teams never coming out of the gate blistering teams at home, and many more solidified for me that he was in way over his head way back in 2013. This sport is almost all about coaching and it was obvious he didnt have what it takes to be a consistent winner. Sad it has come to this.

Yes, but they are 2 recent years and the VCU sweep was last year. I was responding to a post saying we are floundering lately and way behind VCU. And, how am I ignoring facts when showing our records and Fordhams? Seems like others are ignoring those facts when comparing us to them. But, fine, include it all, but then why stop at 8 years? How do things look if you go back 10 years?

2 recent years out of 5? And not the 2 most recent, but the most recent for VCU data that fits your narrative? That feels like cherry picking to me.

I chose 8 because that is the beginning of the NCAA tourney drought we are currently in, but I’ll add the rest of Mooney’s tenure.

Conference records under Mooney, most recent to oldest: (6-8, 9-9, 13-5, 7-11, 12-6, 8-8, 8-8, 7-9, 13-3, 13-3, 9-7, 9-7, 4-12, 6-10).

VCU record under Mooney, most recent to oldest: (0-1, 2-0, 0-3, 0-2, 2-1, 0-3, 1-1, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 0-1, 0-1, 0-1, 0-1).

Overall, Mooney has 6 seasons over .500 in conference (4 of them before the NCAA tourney drought), and his record against VCU is 6-17.

I again think those numbers, when you see them written out, speak volumes.

But you keep going farther and farther away from the reason I posted what I did. I did not respond to a post describing what you just posted. I responded to a post about floundering. To me, your info backs my point that we are not floundering if 2 of our four 12 or more win A-10 seasons are since 2015 and we swept VCU last year after several tough years against them.

But you keep going farther and farther away from the reason I posted what I did. I did not respond to a post describing what you just posted. I responded to a post about floundering. To me, your info backs my point that we are not floundering if 2 of our four 12 or more win A-10 seasons are since 2015 and we swept VCU last year after several tough years against them.
Maybe we have to agree to disagree then.

I look at those records and see a trend of regression the past 5 years, with; 3 out of the past 5 years .500 or under in conference, 3 out of the past 5 years .500 or under in overall record (granted I’m assuming this year ends that way), and a combined 4-7 record against VCU.

And if you want to go most recent, we’ll have 2 losing seasons (both conference and overall), and (I’m assuming) a 2-2 record against VCU (at best 3-1). So maybe we’ve improved against VCU, but overall have regressed (or floundered)?

Maybe we have to agree to disagree then.

I look at those records and see a trend of regression the past 5 years, with; 3 out of the past 5 years .500 or under in conference, 3 out of the past 5 years .500 or under in overall record (granted I’m assuming this year ends that way), and a combined 4-7 record against VCU.

And if you want to go most recent, we’ll have 2 losing seasons (both conference and overall), and (I’m assuming) a 2-2 record against VCU (at best 3-1). So maybe we’ve improved against VCU, but overall have regressed (or floundered)?

What is funny ( if we finish under .500 IC this year), you can say three of the past five .500 or under, and I can say three of the past five .500 or over.

Not saying that only three of five years at .500 or better is anything to feel great about, but I do like the 12 - 6 and 13- 5 seasons.

Cockroaches? I don't think Mooney is going anywhere. However, the nice thing about some of us who love our basketball program is that we will support it regardless of who the coach is.
Or how badly our win percentage has been over the last 14 years!

So, why be so angry at someone who wants to support our program? Why call that person a worthless fan? Seems like that type of fan is just the opposite of that. And, a program that goes 12-6, 13-5, and 9-9 in our conference 3 of the past 4 seasons is far from "floundering".
The conference results tend not to be meaningful when we have a poor non-con showing. You know as well as everyone else here that our only route to the ncaa recently has been to win the a10 tournament. We haven’t been close to doing so.

I don’t agree with marginalizing any fan but there’s a set of fans such as yourself who subscribe to the wait and hope approach which hasn’t proven very tenable. Providing a bunch of nonsense about conference results is just arguing for arguing sake which you’ve admonished others over. It’s not even a good argument.

A core problem is that some of the most disappointing performances under Mooney happened with teams that should have made the tournament, but didn’t. Those teams weren’t “bad” per se, but when some were celebrating the NIT, others were pissed. Analogous to a college football team that is projected to contend for a playoff spot only to make a middling bowl game. Rational fans would be dissatisfied in that circumstance. And angry when other fans condescendingly sell that outcome as successful. The time for change was a few years ago. And maybe the only impediment is money. I have no idea. But stop trying to sell the delusion that Mooney is the guy for the job. That he’s an average to below-average coach is indisputable at this point.

Drink!

Ya know....I'd rather be compared with a program like Fordham with STUDENT athletes that represent their school well than the punks at VCU right now. Have you watched any of these teams play? A VCU player was in the face of Gilyard taunting him when we played them there (shoulda been a T), and they were mouthing off tonight against St. Louis.

I go to the radio shows for years and have interacted with these kids, and they're all respectful and don't carry attitudes. At the end of the day, I'd rather have those student athletes represent my school than a lot of the other players I've seen out there.

Reactions: VT4700
If sweeping vcu, and that's it, is our annual gosl, that sucks. I yearn for the days when we were ncaa contenders!!

Reactions: wr70beh
We were not an NCAA contender two seasons ago. We were a 6-seed in the NIT. That means about 15-20 teams were ahead of us for at-large consideration. We were never on the bubble. We lost in the semifinals of the A-10 tournament.

We were also very lucky to survive a very average Mojo coached GW team on that Friday night.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT