ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

VT4700

Graduate Assistant
Dec 16, 2016
I expect Hunt, Dji, and Walz to start with 2 incoming transfers/freshman. We lose our top two 3 point guys in King and Bigs and likely have to replace them with 3 point guys if we are to match the success of this season.

PG...we saw what King did for us. Hopefully, the right transfer PG saw that too and will be the perfect fit like King was. Tyne showed some promise, but I'm not sure he is ready to be a big minute PG, so our best option is probably the portal.

Hunt. I really liked what he brought and think he had a solid year. He also showed what a great leader he is, and should be an even bigger leader next year. We might need a little more scoring from him next year, and I would like to see him shoot more 3s. He made 22 of 57 (38.6%). So doubling that would help us tremendously.

Dji. He had a really good year at both ends of the court. He is really good at driving and did a good job finishing at the basket. He needs to dramatically improve his FT shooting, and I still think he needs to find a way to at least be a threat from 3 if left open. He averaged 31 minutes a game, but only shot 38 3s ( 12-38 for 31.6%). Regardless of who we land in the portal, I'm not sure they will match the volume and percentage from 3 that King (84-203 for 41.4%) and Bigs ( 48-128 for 37.2%) gave us. So, Dji has to work and work and work that much more on becoming a 3 point threat.

Walz. I liked what I saw this year. He is physical, he can block some shots, doesn't back down from anyone, and thank goodness he doesn't shoot the floater. I appreciate everything Quinn gave us, and he had some huge games for us, but I was never a fan of his floaters and push shots. Even when he made a few, I think our opponents were more than happy to give him those all game long. When he shot those, we weren't shooting 3s, weren't shooting lay ups, and weren't drawing fouls. It's just not an efficient shot and I hope we never see it again. At 7 feet tall, I just never understood why he couldn't take one or two more dribbles for the layup or slam, or draw a foul at the rim, especially considering he rarely got doubled. But, he did a lot of real good things for us this year, so just because I didn't like his floaters and push shots doesn't mean he wasn't a good player for us. He absolutely was and we will miss him. Back to Walz, I think he is ready for good minutes. I like how active and physical he is, and with more minutes, he will need to stay out of foul trouble and be a key inside presence for us.

Bench: Roche. Need a bounce back year from him. I would never count him out. If you can shoot, you can shoot, and we all know he can shoot. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get his confidence back next year and be a key piece for us.

Tyne. Love his quickness and confidence with the ball. Needs to be much better from 3 point land. He got a lot of good looks and needs to knock more of them down.

Everything else is too much of a guess right now. Not sure how many minutes our current freshman will get next year. Hopefully, Soulis is ready to get minutes and back up Walz. Hard to tell what roles Tanner, Smith, and Graham will have without seeing much of them yet. I think Noyes might be exactly who we saw this year, so not sure if I expect him to be a rotation guy. Maybe he can prove me wrong, kind of like Dji did this year. I'm excited about Robinson and McGlothin coming in and McGlothin looks like he could get some minutes from day 1. Who knows? Maybe even start, because the minutes will be there to grab.

Last edited:
I expect Hunt, Dji, and Walz to start with 2 incoming transfers/freshman. We lose our top two 3 point guys in King and Bigs and likely have to replace them with 3 point guys if we are to match the success of this season.

PG...we saw what King did for us. Hopefully, the right transfer PG saw that too and will be the perfect fit like King was. Tyne showed some promise, but I'm not sure he is ready to be a big minute PG, so our best option is probably the portal.

Hunt. I really liked what he brought and think he had a solid year. He also showed what a great leader he is, and should be an even bigger leader next year. We might need a little more scoring from him next year, and I would like to see him shoot more 3s. He made 22 of 57 (38.6%). So doubling that would help us tremendously.

Dji. He had a really good year at both ends of the court. He is really good at driving and did a good job finishing at the basket. He needs to dramatically improve his FT shooting, and I still think he needs to find a way to at least be a threat from 3 if left open. He averaged 31 minutes a game, but only shot 38 3s ( 12-38 for 31.6%). Regardless of who we land in the portal, I'm not sure they will match the volume and percentage from 3 that King (84-203 for 41.4%) and Bigs ( 48-128 for 37.2%) gave us. So, Dji has to work and work and work that much more on becoming a 3 point threat.

Walz. I liked what I saw this year. He is physical, he can block some shots, doesn't back down from anyone, and thank goodness he doesn't shoot the floater. I appreciate everything Quinn gave us, and he had some huge games for us, but I was never a fan of his floaters and push shots. Even when he made a few, I think our opponents were more than happy to give him those all game long. When he shot those, we weren't shooting 3s, weren't shooting lay ups, and weren't drawing fouls. It's just not an efficient shot and I hope we never see it again. At 7 feet tall, I just never understood why he couldn't take one or two more dribbles for the layup or slam, or draw a foul at the rim, especially considering he rarely got doubled. Back to Walz, I think he is ready for good minutes. I like how active and physical he is, and with more minutes, he will need to stay out of foul trouble and be a key inside presence for us.

Bench: Roche. Need a bounce back year from him. I would never count him out. If you can shoot, you can shoot, and we all know he can shoot. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get his confidence back next year and be a key piece for us.

Tyne. Love his quickness and confidence with the ball. Needs to be much better from 3 point land. He got a lot of good looks and needs to knock more of them down.

Everything else is too much of a guess right now. Not sure how many minutes our current freshman will get next year. Hopefully, Soulis is ready to get minutes and back up Walz. Hard to tell what roles Tanner, Smith, and Graham will have without seeing much of them yet. I think Noyes might be exactly who we saw this year, so not sure if I expect him to be a rotation guy. Maybe he can prove me wrong, kind of like Dji did this year. I'm excited about Robinson and McGlothin coming in and McGlothin looks like he could get some minutes from day 1. Who knows? Maybe even start, because the minutes will be there to grab.
Welcome back and onto 2024-25.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
Saying my annual postseason prayer that next year the Spiders will be directed to crash the boards for offensive rebounds! I’m still hoping and waiting for that change. Will it ever happen? You know Duquesne held on in the second half of the A10 tournament championship to beat VCU even without scoring hardly any points but they dominated their offensive boards and kept missing but used up so much clock that VCU was unable to totally comeback and take over the game. Duquesne would have lost with a one and done offense.

Agreed! With this change, I really believe we open up a bunch of new possibilities as a program. Watch our women's team crash the offensive boards and get easy putbacks when they miss threes! It changes everything. The way we play, if we miss a three, the possession is over. It can be a killer because our margin for error is zilch. No way are we saving so many points by getting back on defense that it's worth never trying for offensive boards. I'll never be convinced of that.

Walz. I liked what I saw this year. He is physical, he can block some shots, doesn't back down from anyone, and thank goodness he doesn't shoot the floater. I appreciate everything Quinn gave us, and he had some huge games for us, but I was never a fan of his floaters and push shots. Even when he made a few, I think our opponents were more than happy to give him those all game long. When he shot those, we weren't shooting 3s, weren't shooting lay ups, and weren't drawing fouls. It's just not an efficient shot and I hope we never see it again. At 7 feet tall, I just never understood why he couldn't take one or two more dribbles for the layup or slam, or draw a foul at the rim, especially considering he rarely got doubled. But, he did a lot of real good things for us this year, so just because I didn't like his floaters and push shots doesn't mean he wasn't a good player for us. He absolutely was and we will miss him. Back to Walz, I think he is ready for good minutes. I like how active and physical he is, and with more minutes, he will need to stay out of foul trouble and be a key inside presence for us.

Nice write up. We are losing one of the most talented group of guys in a single season. King (all-conference) Quinn (2nd team) and Bigs. Those are big shoes to fill. With that said, I am optimistic that next year's team will do well.

Reactions: urfan1
We are losing one of the most talented group of guys in a single season
Wait a minute here 80's - the Mooney guys are getting there stories mixed up. POM told us this was an 11th place talent, that Mooney dragged to the finish line with his coaching skill.

For the record, I am with you. I give Mooney big props for putting this talent together last offseason.

Nice write up. We are losing one of the most talented group of guys in a single season. King (all-conference) Quinn (2nd team) and Bigs. Those are big shoes to fill. With that said, I am optimistic that next year's team will do well.
I do think while there are so many options out in the portal, Bigs and King's spirit, dynamic talent and will to win will be very hard to replace. But, that is the beauty of sports. With our renewed emphasis on defense, I would not mind adding some positionally bigger athletes to the mix. Though with the returners we have, 4700 does have a point that we need to add shooting too. But based on last season's portal, I am optimistic that our situation is a very very enticing landing spot.

We should probably wait 2 months to see what our roster is. That includes returning guys. No intel but we'll lose 2-3 guys likely. Dji being the key unknown one.

I do want to hear if VT4700 still thinks Dayton was still not a must win for us ;)

Anyway, I get there will be some discussion regardless and I'm not here to discourage, but it's hard not to expect a surprise roster wise, even with our relative stability comparatively.

Last edited:
Obviously Dji is going to have some options. Hopefully PQ opens up the checkbook a little.

I think basketball wise, he is in a very good situation. Mooney now has huge confidence in him. He knows he will get as many minutes as he can handle next season. The P6 route - I think he could contribute for a good team - but it has its risks. If you can get a deal like Burton supposedly got, that is "put it in the bank, and you are ahead of most 40 YO's retirement funds" type of money.

But I think from a basketball perspective, he is in a great spot.

Great to hear that Dlo is coming back!!

good analysis, 4700.

Dji and Dlo are locks. Walz is a starter today but I hope we bring in someone that keeps him in a 15 mpg strong backup role. really tough to project the rest. Noyes and Roche will get another look. the non-Tyne freshmen didn't get much to build on, and next year's freshmen will be freshmen. so I agree that the portal will totally change this team again. need at least 2 good ones.

Dji is going to have options in the portal if he wants them. As with Burton, I REALLY want Dji to stay, but will not begrudge him for leaving. He put his 4 years in here, will presumably be getting his degree, so we can't really ask for anything more.

But I will make a plea to Spiderdad, for ONE MORE YEAR please.

We should probably wait 2 months to see what our roster is. That includes returning guys. No intel but we'll lose 2-3 guys likely. Dji being the key unknown one.

I do want to hear if VT4700 still thinks Dayton was still not a must win for us ;)

Anyway, I get there will be some discussion regardless and I'm not here to discourage, but it's hard not to expect a surprise roster wise, even with our relative stability comparatively.
Has Dji mentioned he might not take the covid year? I don't see why he would transfer. It would likely just be laterally, so why do that if his minutes should be good again here next year?

We will never know if Dayton was a must win. The bracket guys didn't put us in even after we beat them, but they aren't the committee. If the committee put Virginia in, who knows what they might have done had we finished with a few more wins and an A-10 finals loss. But, you were probably right. They likely would have held not having a Q1 win against us (although UVA only had 2 and had numerous awful games on their resume).

We could maybe have some guys leave, but I would be surprised if it were Hunt, Dji, Walz, Tyne, Roche, or Soulis, our top 6 returning guys.

Reactions: mr.spider
The minutes will be there for someone. Could be Smith and/or Tanner, and/or next year's freshman, and/or transfers. I mentioned Soulis because if we don't land a big, he will have to be the guy backing up Walz.

Has Dji mentioned he might not take the covid year? I don't see why he would transfer. It would likely just be laterally, so why do that if his minutes should be good again here next year?
Well, he has his degree, he can go somewhere else and probably get a free grad degree. He might also want to play for a P6 program that has a strong likelihood of making the dance, and their is the ever present siren song of NIL $$$ out there for him. And yes, lots of programs are going to be interested in a defensive lockdown player with an array of around the hoops moves, including many P6 programs. So, if I'm Dji, there are lots of reasons he might want to transfer.

Having said of that, I've already publicly prostrated myself to his dad with a plea for him to return, so you know where my heart lies on what decision he should make.

No love for Smith & Tanner ?
Said this in earlier post, but neither of these guys even sniffed mop up minutes this year. I could consider that a sign and perhaps a signal from Mooney that the portal might be in the best interest of both parties.

Said this in earlier post, but neither of these guys even sniffed mop up minutes this year. I could consider that a sign and perhaps a signal from Mooney that the portal might be in the best interest of both parties.
I would think Tanner has a much better chance for minutes because of his size. If we go land a PG in the portal, nothing will have changed for Smith..he would likely still be behind PG, Hunt, and Tyne.

Well, he has his degree, he can go somewhere else and probably get a free grad degree. He might also want to play for a P6 program that has a strong likelihood of making the dance, and their is the ever present siren song of NIL $$$ out there for him. And yes, lots of programs are going to be interested in a defensive lockdown player with an array of around the hoops moves, including many P6 programs. So, if I'm Dji, there are lots of reasons he might want to transfer.

Having said of that, I've already publicly prostrated myself to his dad with a plea for him to return, so you know where my heart lies on what decision he should make.
Fair enough. I don't see P6 for him, but.......newsflash, I was wrong about him before so I could be wrong again. He averaged 31 mpg and had a great year for us, so if he transfers it certainly wouldn't be for playing time. Do you see a lot of minutes for him on a P6 team that will likely go dancing? Every situation is different and guys want different things, but I look at Dji and see a guy who waited 4 years for solid minutes, and will likely have them again here next year in a system he is comfortable with. Why transfer to the unknown?

Last edited:
Florida , Georgetown, Wake Forest & VPI offered Trevor.
Very interested to see how that pans out or he may be
the next point guard for RPI.

Florida , Georgetown, Wake Forest & VPI offered Trevor.
Very interested to see how that pans out or he may be
the next point guard for RPI.
I would love it if he pans out, but offers mean nothing. Those programs did not offer Tyne and Tyne passed him.

Reactions: spider23
That’s fair . What we know is we don’t know.
Highly regarded in the 757.
No doubt. I was excited about landing him. Before we got King, I was wondering if he would be the starter last season. But, Tyne passing him is telling to me. But, you are correct....we don't know.

Fair enough. I don't see P6 for him, but.......newsflash, I was wrong about him before so I could be wrong again. He averaged 31 mpg and had a great year for us, so if he transfers it certainly wouldn't be for playing time. Do you see a lot of minutes for him on a P6 team that will likely go dancing? Every situation is different and guys want different things, but I look at Dji and see a guy who waited 4 years for solid minutes, and will likely have them again here next year in a system he is comfortable with. Why transfer to the unknown?
seeing guys in the portal getting P6 interest, I definitely think Dji would as well. but I just don't know that it would turn out to be a better situation. he's pretty much the man here next year.

Saying my annual postseason prayer that next year the Spiders will be directed to crash the boards for offensive rebounds! I’m still hoping and waiting for that change. Will it ever happen? You know Duquesne held on in the second half of the A10 tournament championship to beat VCU even without scoring hardly any points but they dominated their offensive boards and kept missing but used up so much clock that VCU was unable to totally comeback and take over the game. Duquesne would have lost with a one and done offense.
You & I have beating that drum. I've been at the RC since Mooney's first year through this year, and crashing the boards is not in his DNA. Very frustrating. I posted in another thread that St Joe had 11 OR and 16 second chance points against us. It certainly worked for them. It's a working option, and I have to believe worth more than the prevent defense of running the opposite ways to save points for opponents. We did have several players this year that rebounded & were aggressive, but for the most part Mooney's game is more finesse.

For the most part what we've seen in Mooney's basketball philosophy in year 1 is the same as in year 19 with only minimal departure. Not a lot of flexibility.

Change & flexibility are good things.

Wasn't he initially heading to Wake? Aren't they P6?

I think that under the right school & right coach, he could be slotted for a good role & good contributor on a P6 team.

I hope he makes whatever decision makes him & his family happy.

Reactions: plydogg
You & I have beating that drum. I've been at the RC since Mooney's first year through this year, and crashing the boards is not in his DNA. Very frustrating. I posted in another thread that St Joe had 11 OR and 16 second chance points against us. It certainly worked for them. It's a working option, and I have to believe worth more than the prevent defense of running the opposite ways to save points for opponents. We did have several players this year that rebounded & were aggressive, but for the most part Mooney's game is more finesse.

For the most part what we've seen in Mooney's basketball philosophy in year 1 is the same as in year 19 with only minimal departure. Not a lot of flexibility.

Change & flexibility are good things.
If Walz is the starting 5 for us next year, Mooney needs to turn him loose and tell him to go after every rebound. TJ was a good rebounder his last year, but Grant and Quinn were not great rebounders. Walz lacks the finesse of all 3 of them, at least for now, but he is so much more athletic and I would say stronger as well. He posted some decent rebound stats for the limited time he played this year, and rebounding should be his strength. Turn him loose and unleash the beast!

Walz will benefit greatly from being "the guy who doesn't get pulled", just as Dji flourished this year. As soon as he plays with the confidence that he'll be able to play through mistakes, he'll play great. I trust his shooting more than I trusted Quinn's shooting, and think he is more of a threat from the elbow and the top of the key as a pick and pop guy. I think he is more foul-prone though, and also prone to some forced passes.

I thought Walz showed great improvement from year 1 to year 2. Send him to the same camp Justin Harper went to, he took a huge jump - but that was junior to senior year of course.

I do like that Walz actually just shoots a traditional shot from the elbow, and has some power moves and plays a more traditional power game. He does have to avoid the injury bug and foul trouble. If he and Soulis can remain healthy I do like our outlook at the 5 next season. We definitely need to bring in some help on the interior losing both Harris and Bigs. Those guys were athletic and physical and not afraid to guard someone and grab a rebound.

Walz is Grace to me. I guy we love at 15 minutes per game but not a guy who will make us a Top 4 A-10 team as a starter. I like Walz, I think he is improving greatly but the reality he almost never looks or is facing the basket in offense. I don't see how that translate him into being our starting center next year.

Anyone able to find the +/- for minutes that Walz is on the floor vs Quinn this season? It is a big jump for him to play starter minutes next season, but hopefully he is up for it. It is an unknown.

I tried to do a quick search for plus/minus and went on KenPom, and I did come to Effective Field Goal %, one Dji Bailey registered at number 36 in the country eFG%.

Anyone able to find the +/- for minutes that Walz is on the floor vs Quinn this season? It is a big jump for him to play starter minutes next season, but hopefully he is up for it. It is an unknown.

I tried to do a quick search for plus/minus and went on KenPom, and I did come to Effective Field Goal %, one Dji Bailey registered at number 36 in the country eFG%.
Per EvanMiya, Walz had a 62 +/- on the year compared to Quinn's 115 +/-. I don't think they ever played together, so that should be accurate. They had pretty comparable defense ratings (Walz 1.37 to Quinn's 1.20) but Quinn had a much better offensive rating (Quinn 2.29, Walz -0.68)

Well, I predict we will not be any worse in offensive rebounding next year and will go out on a limb and predict we are in fact better. Bold predictions given we were 362nd (out of 362) and we weren't really close to being 361st in the country in offensive rebounds. That is correct, we were absolute dead last (with room to spare) in offensive rebounding, so I wouldn't expect a lot or offensive board crashing.

Now, in fairness to Moon's decision here - - (a) we make up for lack of possessions generated by offensive rebounds by being excellent (2nd in country) at not turning it over and (b) our defense was outstanding this year and is no doubt helped by giving up virtually nothing in transition.

Well, I predict we will not be any worse in offensive rebounding next year and will go out on a limb and predict we are in fact better. Bold predictions given we were 362nd (out of 362) and we weren't really close to being 361st in the country in offensive rebounds. That is correct, we were absolute dead last (with room to spare) in offensive rebounding, so I wouldn't expect a lot or offensive board crashing.

Now, in fairness to Moon's decision here - - (a) we make up for lack of possessions generated by offensive rebounds by being excellent (2nd in country) at not turning it over and (b) our defense was outstanding this year and is no doubt helped by giving up virtually nothing in transition.
Never understood the decision to forgo offensive rebounding. Even if you have 2 guys just hang around the offensive end after a shot, not even crash the boards but just not retreat, you are going to get some weird carooms, long rebounds, etc. that result in an extra possession. And yet, you still have guys back to prevent transition points.

I just never understood the philosophy of giving yourself 1 shot and 1 shot only on nearly every offensive possession. I would hasten to say that most other coaches don't either otherwise they would be employing this strategy.

Also it is a passive way to play ball, you are teaching guy to not go hard after every loose ball. That bleeds over into other parts of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT