ADVERTISEMENT

Responsible persons for billboard

But as someone else eloquently offered elsewhere, if the expectation is that we aren’t going to value results measured in wins or postseason appearances, then be candid enough to state that. Then folks can decide how they want to support the program, particularly if the intent isn’t aligned with what the AD has been selling.
Bingo. If we're satisfied with being like Fordham, just say so. The fans can make their decisions based on that. I am sure there will still be plenty who come to the games. After all, we had 5,100 in attendance the other night.

For the record I was not, and would not have been part of the billboard, not my style. But I did have a meeting with one on our AD staff about three weeks ago. My purpose was to express my concern about the state of our fan base. Those that think only a small number are upset/concerned/angry or some level thereof are keeping too small a circle. I fear the billboard has deepened those feelings.

Hey man, I appreciate all you do on here. Glad you had the chance to express your concerns.

I don't understand your last two sentences.
Did the person you met think it was only a small number? Or did your contact tell you it was a bigger number than the media is letting on? I can't tell if you're referring to the AD or outsiders "keeping too small a circle."
And then "deepening those feelings" - are you saying the billboard made those small-circle people even more convinced it's just a small fringe group?

Sorry - I'm exhausted - you can DM me if you'd prefer.

Hey man, I appreciate all you do on here. Glad you had the chance to express your concerns.

I don't understand your last two sentences.
Did the person you met think it was only a small number? Or did your contact tell you it was a bigger number than the media is letting on? I can't tell if you're referring to the AD or outsiders "keeping too small a circle."
And then "deepening those feelings" - are you saying the billboard made those small-circle people even more convinced it's just a small fringe group?

Sorry - I'm exhausted - you can DM me if you'd prefer.
Fan 1, I saw this too and was confused. Can you clarify?

Fan 1, I saw this too and was confused. Can you clarify?

Thought I was clear but obviously not enough. Meeting was before the BB event. The purpose of the meeting was my desire to state my observation about the number of fans that appear to be upset with the state of our program. The staff member seemed to acknowledge they were aware and talked about the large number of complaints they were receiving. My comment about the BB was I felt it would deepen the divisions between our fans.

Reactions: plydogg
The Fire Mooney Gang put their POOR judgement on display in a most embarrassing fashion! Total self destruction! Why would anyone respect their judgement of Mooney as a coach??

This is why I love this country with all my heart. Half the folks can think one way and half think the other way. Both sides can express their opinions with very compelling arguments in a civil manner.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Last edited:
The Fire Mooney Gang put their POOR judgement on display in a most embarrassing fashion! Total self destruction! Why would anyone respect their judgement of Mooney as a coach??

I, for one, have a lot of respect for people who "put their money where their mouth is". Most just sit on the sideline whining about things and doing nothing (I'm guilty of this)

Pulling down the Billboard is a good first step but 95% of the damage was done the first 24 hours when it was first put up and a press release was sent to all the local TV stations as well newspapers and national press. This is not going away and this group has created a large number of very angry enemies, most of which have nothing to do with this board. It would go a long way in helping heal wounds if they publicly apologized and admitted they made a mistake. People are angry not because they criticized Mooney, but because of the way it was done. They perceive this group is willing to hurt/bad mouth anyone who gets in the way of achieving their goal including the university, the basketball program, current players, media, former players, Mooney’s family.

Having a response about Mooney’s long term record, attacking everyone who condemns this groups action is not going to win anyone over.

Last edited:
Reactions: LKNSPIDER
I'm far more embarrassed to have lost to Longwood on our home floor, a team that has been Division I for less time than Mooney has been our coach, than a billboard calling for a change to save our basketball program. What this has done for me is point out how detached our administration is from the real world. I'm becoming less interested by the day. Glad the wife graduated from UVA and that I can have someone to root for until Mooney retires.

Truthers are not winning anyone over by constantly talking up "Mooney the Man" and ignoring "Mooney the Coach". And I haven't read any posts that bad mouth Mooney's family.
Of course you haven't. He just makes all that stuff up. #Ibelievejussie

My sense is that most of the people outraged by the billboard were not really Spider basketball fans but rather just UR alumni who felt it wasn't a proper thing to do. Most probably remember the sweet 16 hubbub like it was yesterday and haven't paid much attention since then.

Still waiting for the fact-based defense of why Mooney should be the head basketball coach at UR next year for his 15th season.
There is no fact based defense. There is hope I suppose. I’m past hope.

CM has had a long run and had his chance, time to try a new experiment.

Reactions: KWeaver
My sense is that most of the people outraged by the billboard were not really Spider basketball fans but rather just UR alumni who felt it wasn't a proper thing to do. Most probably remember the sweet 16 hubbub like it was yesterday and haven't paid much attention since then.
I don’t think that’s the case. Some of them, yes. But I suspect most of them approve of the job CM does. NCAA appearances must not matter to that group. I don’t get it but I expect that’s the reality.

Reactions: KWeaver
Pulling the Billboard is a good first step but 95% of the damage was done the first 24 hours when it was first put up and a press release was sent to all the local TV stations as well newspapers and national press. This is not going away and this group has created a large number of very angry enemies, most of which have nothing to do with this board. It would go a long way in helping heal wounds if they publicly apologized and admitted they made a mistake. People are angry not because they criticized Mooney, but because of the way it was done. They perceive this group is willing to hurt/bad mouth anyone who gets in the way of achieving their goal including the university, the basketball program, current players, media, former players, Mooney’s family.

Having a response about Mooney’s long term record, attacking everyone who condemns this groups action is not going to win anyone over.

There was no mistake.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I don’t think that’s the case. Some of them, yes. But I suspect most of them approve of the job CM does. NCAA appearances must not matter to that group. I don’t get it but I expect that’s the reality.
That's even worse if it's true.

I could like this a million times!

Bottom line is that the support of Mooney is the support of over paying for mediocrity. He does the same things over and over and the same results. He may have enough talent to have a winning season next year, but then what? More of the same. It is becoming clear that we have a large portion
The Fire Mooney boys are eunuchs with soprano voices.
You tell me Paul

Bottom line is that the support of Mooney is the support of over paying for mediocrity. He does the same things over and over and the same results. He may have enough talent to have a winning season next year, but then what? More of the same.
I think this is what gets me too. We could have been finishing eighth every year with almost any coach off the street. Why are we paying so much money to Mooney to do that? He's mediocre in the regular season and worse in the league tournament.

no big deal billboard I worry more about high ball screen defense late in game , double team? show and recover? switch? pivot who screens always has weak side position for offense rebound or for dumpp off pass because Grant is not sure where Grant is to be . I am not worried about crying babies lets win games, i just wish every year i would not be suffering through first 15 games every year . Andre guarding point guard means Wojik comes off bench next year

Fezz I think you are making the point for the supposed "Crying Babies" as you call them. In 14 years we dont have a coach that can teach post defense, or rebounding? We have a coach who's teams start slow almost every single year? That's what the non crying babies want. Guess what, you got him, have fun complaining about these same things in 2022, 2024, 2025 and on and on.

Fezz I think you are making the point for the supposed "Crying Babies" as you call them. In 14 years we dont have a coach that can teach post defense, or rebounding? We have a coach who's teams start slow almost every single year? That's what the non crying babies want. Guess what, you got him, have fun complaining about these same things in 2022, 2024, 2025 and on and on.

I get the impression that the prevailing opinion is that Mooney will be back next year with the realistic hope being “improvement” with an eye on making the tournament in 2020-21. What if we finally make the tournament in 2020 and then go another 4-5 of no post season? At that point we are looking at a 20 year investment in Mooney with 3 NCAA appearances. Was it worth it? I guess at that point we could get out of his contract easier but that’s a ton of $ invested in a coach with paltry ROI. Again, this is not an attack on Chris or an attack on our fine University our it’s esteemed BOT. But at what point does emotion get moved to the side and actual facts/results become important?

We live in a time when facts aren't allowed to get in the way of a desired narrative.

It’s incredibly frustrating. If we keep Mooney through his current contract with the same lack of results we have no one to blame but ourselves. We are indeed our own worst enemy in this situation from the ridiculous contract we gave Coach, to how our administration and fan base have enabled this mediocrity, and how everyone wants to be “right” in their opinions of the whole Mooney/billboard argument. If we all want the best results for UR basketball, which is what I truly believe, then the decision, based on obvious facts, is just as obvious.

A lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too on both sides. I don't want this to come off as me picking a side or advocating one way or another on this issue. Im just so tired of coming to the boards and this being almost the only topic of conversation as if nothing else is going on in the program so please dont try and advocate to me why Mooney has to stay or go in response. Ive always said I don't care what you opinion is so long as you can back it up with some good facts but Im not interested in it at this moment. Ill go read the other 3000 posts about it if I want.

Guys its okay to want a new coach and even put up a billboard about it. Many fans feel this has run its course and I have no problem with them feeling such even if I don't share the same beliefs. However, that does not mean those responsible should be free from criticism or challenged on those beliefs espiecally when done in such a public way while being anonymous. Expect blowback.. I don't understand why the defenders of the sign are complaining about that. Not everyone agrees with you. People on the other side of the argument cant help but laugh at the "I support the players, but not the coach narrative" when the coach is who brought them here and is the person working to develop them it doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? Basically from the way I have observed the actions over the past two seasons it comes off as if only your feelings on this season matter and no one else.(We suck so F what our players think[even though we support them!], F what our fans on the other side think if you support him your holding our program back, F Mooney Ive forgetten any and all the good hes done to this university on the court and off).

Its also okay to think that since this coach has experienced success (Sorry we've had A10 POY, ROY, Championships and Tournament Appearances, that's a sign of good coaching, perhaps not as consistent as anyone would like but there is a resume. Its not like nothing was ever accomplished during his tenure.) can turn it back around after a lot of unexpected attrition (Fore, Buck, Sherrod). People who support this theme are not "truthers" although some on here have had their head in the sand weather it be about overhyping recruits or dismissing losses of players that the program is fine. Also, Coach Mooney will be fine through all of this so no need to constantly have to defend him as a person, everyone knows hes a great guy including the people calling for his head. As I said its okay to put the sign up, just sign your name to it so we know who you are.

I have my own set of beliefs that fall on a more moderate tone which I know probably doesn't have much place on these boards. I didn't have any expectations for this season so not to surprised or upset at where we are at from that standpoint. That doesnt mean I am happy about our performance and that doesn't mean I am holding the program back because I still choose to support it whoever the coach is and the players are.

I dont know what my point of this post was other then stop and take a minute to listen to other peoples opinions without sniping at each other. There is validity to both arguments that are being drowned out by hyperbole. Most people on here are good people and passionate about this program. I just wish we weren't so fixated on trying to convince people that our opinions are absolutes, and just want to hear it out of other peoples mouths.

Last edited:
A lot of people want to have their cake and eat it too on both sides. I don't want this to come off as me picking a side or advocating one way or another on this issue. Im just so tired of coming to the boards and this being almost the only topic of conversation as if nothing else is going on in the program so please dont try and advocate to me why Mooney has to stay or go in response. Ive always said I don't care what you opinion is so long as you can back it up with some good facts but Im not interested in it at this moment. Ill go read the other 3000 posts about it if I want.

Guys its okay to want a new coach and even put up a billboard about it. Many fans feel this has run its course and I have no problem with them feeling such even if I don't share the same beliefs. However, that does not mean those responsible should be free from criticism or challenged on those beliefs. I don't understand why the defenders of the sign are complaining about that. Not everyone agrees with you. Also, when you make your actions public anonymously expect blowback. People on the other side of the argument cant help but laugh at the "I support the players, but not the coach narrative" when the coach is who brought them here and is the person working to develop them it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Basically from the way I have observed the actions over the past two seasons it comes off as if only your feelings on this season matter and no one else.(We suck so F what our players think[even though we support them!], F what our fans on the other side think if you support him your holding our program back, F Mooney Ive forgetten any and all the good hes done to this university on the court and off).

Its also okay to think that since this coach has experienced success (Sorry we've had A10 POY, ROY, Championships and Tournament Appearances, that's a sign of good coaching, perhaps not as consistent as anyone would like but there is a resume. Its not like nothing was ever accomplished during his tenure.) can turn it back around after a lot of unexpected attrition (Fore, Buck, Sherrod). People who support this theme are not "truthers" although some on here have had their head in the sand weather it be about overhyping recruits or dismissing losses of players that the program is fine. Also, Coach Mooney will be fine through all of this so no need to constantly have to defend him as a person, as I said its okay to put the sign up, just sign your name to it so we know who you are.

I have my own set of beliefs that fall on a more moderate tone which I know probably doesn't have much place on these boards. I didn't have any expectations for this season so not to surprised or upset at where we are at from that standpoint. That doesnt mean I am happy about our performance and that doesn't mean I am holding the program back because I still choose to support it whoever the coach is and the players are.

I dont know what my point of this post was other then stop and take a minute to listen to other peoples opinions without sniping at each other. There is validity to both arguments that are being drowned out by hyperbole. Most people on here are good people and passionate about this program. I just wish we weren't so fixated on trying to convince people that our opinions are absolutes, and just want to hear it out of other peoples mouths.
Ditto, now that points have been made, let the season play out, cheer on the team and let UR Admin
make a decision as all points have certainly been heard.

Most of my friends are not Spider fans (misguided I know) but they think the billboard
showed a total lack of class,
I have been in the camp that it is time for a change, but do think the billboard is a cowardly,
classless act.

@AnnapSpider what do your non-spider fan friends think of the UR basketball program? What do they say when the topic comes up? General impressions? I promise this isn’t a loaded question, I’m genuinely interested. Most of us on this board are very emotionally invested in the school and program and issues like this billboard thing bring those emotions to a crescendo. I’m always curious what non-biased/ non-invested folks think.

@AnnapSpider what do your non-spider fan friends think of the UR basketball program? What do they say when the topic comes up? General impressions? I promise this isn’t a loaded question, I’m genuinely interested. Most of us on this board are very emotionally invested in the school and program and issues like this billboard thing bring those emotions to a crescendo. I’m always curious what non-biased/ non-invested folks think.
Every non-UR basketball fan that I know laughs and shakes their head when UR basketball is mentioned. This is usually followed by a comment like "man, they are really bad." My response is always, "yeah, they need a coach."

Most of my friends are not Spider fans (misguided I know) but they think the billboard
showed a total lack of class,
I have been in the camp that it is time for a change, but do think the billboard is a cowardly,
classless act.

The "classless" can be debated, but I sure don't think there was anything cowardly at all in this act. I think that it took a lot of guts to do something this drastic, knowing all along that they would come under a lot of fire for doing the billboard. Think what you want about the act, but I think the guys who contracted the billboard are among our most ardent, diehard fans around. At least they put their $$ where their mouth is....

The "classless" can be debated, but I sure don't think there was anything cowardly at all in this act. I think that it took a lot of guts to do something this drastic, knowing all along that they would come under a lot of fire for doing the billboard. Think what you want about the act, but I think the guys who contracted the billboard are among our most ardent, diehard fans around. At least they put their $$ where their mouth is....
that's twice that I've read that it took guts. no, it didn't. it took a checkbook.

and their explanation, that they've tried everything else without resolution? lol. so you didn't get what you wanted instantly? wow, must be frustrating.

finally, I wish you didn't sign your personal opinion, even if it's popular here, as being from Richmond Fans and Alumni as if you speak for all of us. I'm sure depending on your leaning you wouldn't appreciate me advertising my personal thoughts on Donald Trump and signing it from Richmond Fans and Alumni.

didn't get what you wanted instantly
Funny stuff, these guys - at least the FMM types on this board - were advocating for this for about 3 years. I know a lot of board members were shocked, shocked I tell you that Mooney was allowed back this year.
This is all pointless until 1 day after the season any way. If Mooney is still here, spidernation just looked in the cracked mirror. 3 More years Mooney. If Hardt is here still, probably a bad hire based on his inability to take action on Mooney - so good chance of 4 more years of a mediocre coach.

that's twice that I've read that it took guts. no, it didn't. it took a checkbook.

and their explanation, that they've tried everything else without resolution? lol. so you didn't get what you wanted instantly? wow, must be frustrating.

finally, I wish you didn't sign your personal opinion, even if it's popular here, as being from Richmond Fans and Alumni as if you speak for all of us. I'm sure depending on your leaning you wouldn't appreciate me advertising my personal thoughts on Donald Trump and signing it from Richmond Fans and Alumni.

Instantly? We are talking about this stuff since well before Hardt came along. Now run along with your bad self.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT