ADVERTISEMENT

Responsible persons for billboard

giphy.gif

Please come forward with your identity. Let us know who you are. It is time to be up front and stop hiding behind monikers. Then maybe more reasonable discussions can take place!
You go first big boy. I asked for this months ago, and truthers were big scared babies and hid behind daddy 05. Go ahead and put your details on the board big boy and we can discuss it. I'll try to find out which in that rascally FMM group did this, and put them in contact. I won't attach any truthers though.

Please come forward with your identity. Let us know who you are. It is time to be up front and stop hiding behind monikers. Then maybe more reasonable discussions can take place!
This is a ridiculous statement, especially when you’re hiding behind a moniker...

That being said, my name is Nathan, I live in Boston, I graduated ‘08, and I had nothing to do with the billboard. Would love to talk Richmond basketball with any and all of you, especially if we don’t agree.

How many of you own your own business or have climbed the ladder in an organization to a management level position? If you have, how do you deal with long term employees with mediocre performance? Do you continue to carry them from year to year on your payroll even if they are less than effective long term with measurements in place to support or quantify the performance? Do you give them contract extensions & make them the highest paid or one of the highest paid employees of your business or organization?

It seems that the way UR operates within a protected and sheltered athletic department works contrary to much of what I've seen in many years of consulting across this country and in senior level management positions. It also seems out of step with what I learned in classes in the UR Business School.

I’ve met LKN...many years ago at NC State. Had a great time job and good conversation. I’ll speak from that experience and defend him here.

That being said, I do not agree people have to ID themselves. Everyone is frustrated. All part of why some things need to change in our program (in my view). We need to get away from FMM vs RealFans and just get back to being spider fans.

We need to get away from FMM vs RealFans and just get back to being spider fans.
DT, completely agree. That is another piece of this Mooney Slide that is frustrating. I used to be on the truther side, now I am a heavy FMM lean. Back in the day, I was a Spiders fan when we had Tarrant, JB, even Wainwright and Dooley. Wainwright and Dooley moved on (whether via their own volition or other) when it wasn't going well. Because the vile Buckingham defiler Jim Miller gave Mooney this contract and he has tanked, we are in this position. First time I can remember this. Thanks Miller and Mooney, you guys SUCK!!

I’ve met LKN...many years ago at NC State. Had a great time job and good conversation. I’ll speak from that experience and defend him here.

Had the opportunity to meet him in an elevator in Pittsburgh. A close friend of mine that knows him well speaks extremely highly of him.

That being said, I do not agree people have to ID themselves.

1000% agree with the above. Don't like that idea.

Everyone is frustrated. We need to get away from FMM vs RealFans and just get back to being spider fans.

I wish I could "like" this 25 times. Couldn't agree more. Seems most everyone has chosen a side, while the name on the front of the jersey has been forgotten a bit.

For the record I was not, and would not have been part of the billboard, not my style. But I did have a meeting with one on our AD staff about three weeks ago. My purpose was to express my concern about the state of our fan base. Those that think only a small number are upset/concerned/angry or some level thereof are keeping too small a circle. I fear the billboard has deepened those feelings.

Only sarcastically asked for LN's identity liked he wanted to know the billboard creator. Who cares? I don't! Maybe just one anti-Mooney fan who has enough money who desires to see UR with a new coach. Right now it appears the only reason Mooney is still coach is because one fan has enough money and clout to say he stays.

You go first big boy. I asked for this months ago, and truthers were big scared babies and hid behind daddy 05. Go ahead and put your details on the board big boy and we can discuss it. I'll try to find out which in that rascally FMM group did this, and put them in contact. I won't attach any truthers though.

My name is Larry Boppe, loyal alumn and avid Spider fan. UR is not a democracy. It is a private school run by an impressive Board of Trustees. BOT and administration are not likely to be influenced by an angry, dissident group of fans who have inspired a billboard intended to embarrass the University of Richmond and/or intimidate those responsible.

One thing the billboard shows is the level of passion there is in Richmond basketball. This fanbase isnt going to sit and let the program become another Fordham or Duquesne. Many many fans of other programs likely respect the hell out of that.

Last edited:
My name is Larry Boppe, loyal alumn and avid Spider fan. UR is not a democracy. It is a private school run by an impressive Board of Trustees. BOT and administration are not likely to be influenced by an angry, dissident group of fans who have inspired a billboard intended to embarrass the University of Richmond and/or intimidate those responsible.
If they care about revenue from basketball they will

So Larry, basically you are saying that those in power dont give a fu#$ about the fans. Great. Thanks. Keep loving the losing and get used to it.

Well Larry, with loyal and avid fans like you, mediocrity is the best we can ever hope for. This is not personal as I’m sure you are a great guy! Just my personal opinion. I think we can have a great program in our amazing arena with great fans. The place rocks when we are good! Barely above .500 over 14 years doesn’t cut it for me!

Well Larry, with loyal and avid fans like you, mediocrity is the best we can ever hope for. This is not personal as I’m sure you are a great guy! Just my personal opinion. I think we can have a great program in our amazing arena with great fans. The place rocks when we are good! Barely above .500 over 14 years doesn’t cut it for me!

Ignorant response!

Reactions: SpiderPlant
One thing the billboard shows is the level of passion there is in Richmond basketball. This fanbase isnt going to sit and let the program become another Fordham or Duquesne. Many many fans of other programs likely respect the hell out of that.

Not really. We might be talking as few as 1 fan who paid for the billboard. How does that show anything about a program's passion? It certainly does not prove a fanbase has more passion than another. Why should fans of other programs be impressed that maybe one fan spent money on a billboard?

I use to love to go watch the Richmond Braces especially during the Ralph Garr, Jim Breazealle
days because they were good and were contenders. In latter years there were some pretty bad teams
and I did not go as much cause the baseball was bad and as result the organization would change
coaches.

If I lived in Richmond, I would have season tickets, and I would support team, but I would not enjoy
them losing. I did not believe in signs like Lew Mill days or chants or billboards, but I expressed to Mr
Hardt on two different occasions, that we need a coaching change in both basketball programs. Whether it is administration or coach, until this year, our recruiting has gone down, making us less competitive. If Davidson can be in top echelon year after year, why cannot UR. If we are going to stay in A10 we need better players each year, not every third or fourth year.

I love my UR sports, but I also like winning. I want the program to be respected and seen as a CONSISTENT
winner. Larry(Link) I know you bleed red and blue cause we shared Spider sports stories at Gardner Webb and NC State football games several years ago. There is nothing wrong with passion and desire to win, and
whether we agree or not how to express ourselves, this fan base is showing its desire for Spider success.

What does the BoT know that makes them smarter than the average fan? Do they have access to a different darkweb Wikipedia entry on the spider b-ball team that paints a different ratio of wins to losses than I do?

Look, there are very likely non-performance related things the BoT is privy to that the average fan is not. Buyout, admission standards for athletes, administrative objectives surrounding sports in general, etc. But as someone else eloquently offered elsewhere, if the expectation is that we aren’t going to value results measured in wins or postseason appearances, then be candid enough to state that. Then folks can decide how they want to support the program, particularly if the intent isn’t aligned with what the AD has been selling.

I use to love to go watch the Richmond Braces especially during the Ralph Garr, Jim Breazealle
days because they were good and were contenders. In latter years there were some pretty bad teams
and I did not go as much cause the baseball was bad and as result the organization would change
coaches.

If I lived in Richmond, I would have season tickets, and I would support team, but I would not enjoy
them losing. I did not believe in signs like Lew Mill days or chants or billboards, but I expressed to Mr
Hardt on two different occasions, that we need a coaching change in both basketball programs. Whether it is administration or coach, until this year, our recruiting has gone down, making us less competitive. If Davidson can be in top echelon year after year, why cannot UR. If we are going to stay in A10 we need better players each year, not every third or fourth year.

I love my UR sports, but I also like winning. I want the program to be respected and seen as a CONSISTENT
winner. Larry(Link) I know you bleed red and blue cause we shared Spider sports stories at Gardner Webb and NC State football games several years ago. There is nothing wrong with passion and desire to win, and
whether we agree or not how to express ourselves, this fan base is showing its desire for Spider success.

Loved those R-Braves teams, great baseball! Now with the flying squirrels it's more of a kid friendly carnival atmosphere. Which is fine, but the baseball is at a much lower standard.

Wow, that's kinda like what's happened in the RC

Larry, I appreciate you “putting your name” on your comments. The tone of your message reads as if we alums and fans know nothing and should just shut up and blindly support the program. UR is a tremendous school and we have a ton of well educated, well read, knowledgeable, successful grads who just want our alma mater to be the best we can. The messaging we get from the administration and the athletic department frankly is condescending in tone and gives the impression that the folks in charge are looking down from an ivory tower through their noses. I keep hearing to trust the people in charge but the results over the past 8 years haven’t earned that trust.

You dared LKNSpider to reveal himself and he did so politely. Now it's time to make good on your end of the dare...time to reveal the rascals.

Reactions: LKNSPIDER
They care more than you know. They also know more than fans!
But the fans know & see an approx .500 long term performance, lots of low level signings, too many years of playing young, no NCAA in 8 years, 2 years in a row of unacceptable losing seasons, & embarrassing losses to teams that we should never lose to. That's a start of what the fans know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT