ADVERTISEMENT

Responsible persons for billboard

Ya know....I'd rather be compared with a program like Fordham with STUDENT athletes that represent their school well than the punks at VCU right now. Have you watched any of these teams play? A VCU player was in the face of Gilyard taunting him when we played them there (shoulda been a T), and they were mouthing off tonight against St. Louis.

I go to the radio shows for years and have interacted with these kids, and they're all respectful and don't carry attitudes. At the end of the day, I'd rather have those student athletes represent my school than a lot of the other players I've seen out there.
That is such nonsense!!! Its sports for god sake. Some players for Duke or UNC or GT have been some of the nastiest, least "liked" sore losers in the history of the sport, yet they won and I would damn right want them to have been Spiders. You are just giving an excuse to keep protecting a mediocre program with a bad coach, because they are good guys, hahaha. Such nonsense!!! VCU wins, they don't hurt anyone, they don't bully anyone, they play hard and they win. UR isn't even in the same class as them anymore.

Ya know....I'd rather be compared with a program like Fordham with STUDENT athletes that represent their school well than the punks at VCU right now. Have you watched any of these teams play? A VCU player was in the face of Gilyard taunting him when we played them there (shoulda been a T), and they were mouthing off tonight against St. Louis.

I go to the radio shows for years and have interacted with these kids, and they're all respectful and don't carry attitudes. At the end of the day, I'd rather have those student athletes represent my school than a lot of the other players I've seen out there.

Why bother with D1 athletics?

Reactions: 97spiderfan
We were not an NCAA contender two seasons ago. We were a 6-seed in the NIT. That means about 15-20 teams were ahead of us for at-large consideration. We were never on the bubble. We lost in the semifinals of the A-10 tournament.

That is not how the NIT works. They seed the top 4 as #1 seeds for the NIT based on the first four left out. Everything else is for home games and regional match ups if possible. We were a lot closer than you might think.

That is not how the NIT works. They seed the top 4 as #1 seeds for the NIT based on the first four left out. Everything else is for home games and regional match ups if possible. We were a lot closer than you might think.
We were not close to an at large. We had a terrible out of conference and we played in a very bad A10. We were never in any consideration for at large and never on the bubble. Keep dreamin!!!

Why are we now using Fordham as our baseline? "Welp, at least we're not Fordham..." What have we become? We are low expectation having MFers (to quote Chris Rock).

Thanks for bringing up the out of conference schedule. We have gone into our in conference schedule raging the past few seasons based on the fact that we can't beat anyone out of conference. This year, it all boiled over when we lost to... well... everyone. ARGHH.

DO BETTER, PEOPLE! Golf clapping for Mooney at Glory Days at a homer radio show is utter negligence.

Just stop. Stop it. STOP IT!

Reactions: 97spiderfan
We were not close to an at large. We had a terrible out of conference and we played in a very bad A10. We were never in any consideration for at large and never on the bubble. Keep dreamin!!!

Kind of like 2015, when we were the first team out.

You keep saying this, many don't think you are accurate, I don't either but I am willing to be convinced. Give the data you have, not opinion, better yet if you were in the room voting let us know that.

That is fine. There are a good number of fans that feel that way. If that is what Richmond wants, then
  • Our AD should publicly state our goal is to have the most genteel program of scholars in the conference
  • Hire a coach at $300K who can accomplish that goal
  • Use the money saved to better fund teams (like our swim team) that also have good STUDENT athletes and, I don't know.....actually compete for championships

Why bother with D1 athletics?
This has been asked numerous times recently and I am sure that the BOT has had these thoughts too. As sports fans, you should make sure that UR knows that you support D1 sports. As much as one person on this forum proclaims his love for RMC D3 ball, it only takes 1 min to see it is a different level of basketball (granted he just likes the fact that they win almost all their games).

I agree with Pride in that UR wants players that represent the school well and that can be done in D1. Additionally, I think the “hired mercenary” model is terrible and does not contribute to college athletics at all - it just helps the pro level. Of course, the big public schools don’t mind being the developmental league, since they are making tons of money. Whereas the small schools are just breaking even or losing money. Everyone on here talks about managing the team like a business. Don’t you think if it was that the “sports division” would be eliminated? Careful what you ask for.

Reactions: VT4700
You keep saying this, many don't think you are accurate, I don't either but I am willing to be convinced. Give the data you have, not opinion, better yet if you were in the room voting let us know that.

No, I was not in the room, but I feel strongly that a win over VCU and a close loss to RI in the finals would have put us in the conversation. A lot of teams are put on the chart and talked about, so I don't think that is going too far out there to say that. Yes, that is only my opinion, and this is yet another silly argument you guys want to start on a message board full of opinions. So, where is your data to prove you are accurate in disagreeing? And I need more than an NIT seed because tourney snubs get seeded low in the NIT every year. Isn't it only your "opinion" I am wrong?

That is fine. There are a good number of fans that feel that way. If that is what Richmond wants, then
  • Our AD should publicly state our goal is to have the most genteel program of scholars in the conference
  • Hire a coach at $300K who can accomplish that goal
  • Use the money saved to better fund teams (like our swim team) that also have good STUDENT athletes and, I don't know.....actually compete for championships

I think I would like NIT every year because NCAA just not possible any more. Like me I am now fat and old so I accept this and only shoot free throws and play something not a sport called golf.It was fun when we NCAA and happy memories like when I remember when I am dunking yes I was but now enjoy my new real life.
here is billboard I DONT like.
Stalin-in-Makhachkala.jpg

No, I was not in the room, but I feel strongly that a win over VCU and a close loss to RI in the finals would have put us in the conversation. A lot of teams are put on the chart and talked about, so I don't think that is going too far out there to say that. Yes, that is only my opinion, and this is yet another silly argument you guys want to start on a message board full of opinions. So, where is your data to prove you are accurate in disagreeing? And I need more than an NIT seed because tourney snubs get seeded low in the NIT every year. Isn't it only your "opinion" I am wrong?

absolutely only my opinion because that's what most of us have to rely upon. and the basis of my opinion are records, rankings, history, and 40+ years of following college basketball.

Reactions: wr70beh

Wow. That’s such a cheap, small picture view of our program. No offense to the poster, but that is a pathetic attitude to have for a D1 program. Sad really. You can have great kids and a winning program. We have done it before at UR! I sure hope the AD doesn’t share that opinion.

We have had such little success over the past 8 years that we have been reduced to arguing how close we were to being in the “last four out” one year. Think about that. Some of these posts saying we should be happy just to have good kids who graduate almost seem like trolling but sadly I think a lot of our fans and alums feel that way. Like Anderson, Harper and company weren’t great guys who also won a lot of basketball games.

The NIT changed their seeding a few years ago, prior to the NIT in 2017. It was no longer to be influenced by ESPN or setting up home games but a true seeding based on committee of former coaches. This has been documented and not an opinion, so I think our 6 seed that year is applicable to discussion.

Furthermore our HIGHEST RPI we ever reached that year was 70. Not bad but also not enough to get a team from A10 onto the bubble.

We were right on bubble in 2015. Had we beat VCU in quarters in Brooklyn that year I believe we go and they stay home. Instead we suffer another crushing defeat to them in A10. That one was even worse than last year if you can believe it. I remember it well I was at the game. VT4700 memory may not be as strong because during that time period he was busy pretending to be a VT fan posting on the VT rivals board.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Lots of mental gymnastics going on in here to try to explain why we haven't danced since 2011, but the simple fact remains - that we haven't danced since 2011.

I think we almost made the NCAAs last year, but then we lost in the conference tournament quarterfinals.

Reactions: wr70beh

God, this is pathetic. As was the little dog and pony show at Glory Days Grill the other night. I've come to the conclusion that we don't deserve anymore than what we have.

Reactions: coach fezz
That is such nonsense!!! Its sports for god sake. Some players for Duke or UNC or GT have been some of the nastiest, least "liked" sore losers in the history of the sport, yet they won and I would damn right want them to have been Spiders. You are just giving an excuse to keep protecting a mediocre program with a bad coach, because they are good guys, hahaha. Such nonsense!!! VCU wins, they don't hurt anyone, they don't bully anyone, they play hard and they win. UR isn't even in the same class as them anymore.
Nonsense? Hardly. UNC should be on NCAA probation for their violations of fake classes. That was a huge black eye for the program. Regarding VCU, do you recall a certain VCU player stealing an iPhone? I'll take the nice guys and a program I respect.

God, this is pathetic. As was the little dog and pony show at Glory Days Grill the other night. I've come to the conclusion that we don't deserve anymore than what we have.
Really? Your hostility for our kids and their support for their coach is what's pathetic. They took upon themselves to show up and support their coach. Were you even there to have any knowledge to back up your comments?

Wow. That’s such a cheap, small picture view of our program. No offense to the poster, but that is a pathetic attitude to have for a D1 program. Sad really. You can have great kids and a winning program. We have done it before at UR! I sure hope the AD doesn’t share that opinion.
LOL...pathetic? To want kids who are real student athletes and showing them support. Man, there are so many small minded, selfish people on this board.

Pride, why are you convinced that it is an either/or situation? As in, we can EITHER be good at basketball OR we can have good kids who represent the university well? We can EITHER be good at basketball OR we can have a coach we are proud of.

Do you really believe we can't have both? We are the University of Richmond. Why are we setting such an incredibly low bar for ourselves? That's certainly not an attitude that is displayed by any of our students, alumni or professors anywhere else on campus when it comes to academics. Why should we accept it athletically? Genuinely curious for your response.

As far as VCU goes, I haven’t liked most of the coaches they have had there, but I think Mike Rhodes is a great one. Should win coach of the year in A10. Not all the players on the team are “his guys”, so I wouldn’t be surprised if makeup of the team doesn’t change as well.

One day maybe UR will also have a great coach. At the moment, there is an average coach, who is respected by his players and represents the University well.

Reactions: spider23
Nonsense? Hardly. UNC should be on NCAA probation for their violations of fake classes. That was a huge black eye for the program. Regarding VCU, do you recall a certain VCU player stealing an iPhone? I'll take the nice guys and a program I respect.
VCU runs a clean program, they have good kids too, and they also win. Look, I don't like VCU because they are our rivals, but I have a level of respect for their program and don't feel like we need to denigrate it to justify the failings of ours. D-Will had some legal troubles when he was with us. Does that mean our program doesn't have nice kids and is not respectable? No, it doesn't.

So, we have nice kids and respectable program. As do most of the D-1 programs out there, sure there are a few who are not run on the up and up, but the vast majority are and the vast vast majority of D-1 players are "nice kids". I'm not sure what that has to do with winning on the court.

Right, it's not like we have had a bunch of choir boys. We've had to kick at least two players out of the program in the past eight years because of "personal issues" that I think we all know about. Another one was booted after some less-than-flattering accusations from a fellow female student. But we don't ever mention that stuff when it comes to Mooney. Not saying any were necessarily his fault, but he did recruit and sign all of them.

Thought the same thing and looked them up this AM. In the Mooney at UR era, Davidson has gone to 7 NCAAs and 3 NITs.
Get out of here with your facts. We only deal in hypothetical fantasies; we were the "fifth team out" just two seasons ago.

LOL...pathetic? To want kids who are real student athletes and showing them support. Man, there are so many small minded, selfish people on this board.
Student-Athlete is a contrived term. It was created by NCAA attorneys to circumvent having to pay players worker’s compensation benefits.

Right, it's not like we have had a bunch of choir boys. We've had to kick at least two players out of the program in the past eight years because of "personal issues" that I think we all know about. Another one was booted after some less-than-flattering accusations from a fellow female student. But we don't ever mention that stuff when it comes to Mooney. Not saying any were necessarily his fault, but he did recruit and sign all of them.

He also kept Oumar Sylla on team, who got in trouble re: stolen laptop or buying one that was stolen, something like that. The Weber vcu iphone thing is funnier but it's not much different than Sylla. UR may be less tolerant of off court stuff but as EL said we're certainly not choir boys either. We have good respectable kids for the most part but the notion that we have some monopoly on them or only have good kids is just that...a notion.

It's the 5th bullet point on the talking points:
  • Compete, always compete
  • Young
  • Good feel for the game
  • Academics = hard
  • Good kids
  • All-time wins leader (don't refer to quantity of losses, ever)

Kind of like 2015, when we were the first team out.
And that was maybe mooneys best team. Lost to odu, jmu, northeastern, and a horrible choke job against Wake. Lost to a horrible GMU team too. Still am mindboggle we were last team out. Watched every game and we were horribly inconsistent that whole year. Really, with the talent, it was one of mooneys worst coaching jobs imo. Then to top it off they blow a huge lead against Miami at home for a chance to go to msg. Crazy you are using that year as a mooney highlight.

You can take your nice guys and meaningless basketball and shove it...

The NIT changed their seeding a few years ago, prior to the NIT in 2017. It was no longer to be influenced by ESPN or setting up home games but a true seeding based on committee of former coaches. This has been documented and not an opinion, so I think our 6 seed that year is applicable to discussion.

Furthermore our HIGHEST RPI we ever reached that year was 70. Not bad but also not enough to get a team from A10 onto the bubble.

We were right on bubble in 2015. Had we beat VCU in quarters in Brooklyn that year I believe we go and they stay home. Instead we suffer another crushing defeat to them in A10. That one was even worse than last year if you can believe it. I remember it well I was at the game. VT4700 memory may not be as strong because during that time period he was busy pretending to be a VT fan posting on the VT rivals board.
What was our highest rpi in 2015? Still think Joe Lunardi had a spiderman fetish and gave much more love to UR than we deserved that year.

Still am mindboggle we were last team out.
We weren't. Only in the fantasy-land where being one of the first four out makes you first out. We were "tied" with ODU, Temple & Colorado State.

As you pointed out, ODU beat us heads up. They also had a better record, and better RPI. But let's just assume we were ahead of them on the board because it fits a narrative.

What was our highest rpi in 2015? Still think Joe Lunardi had a spiderman fetish and gave much more love to UR than we deserved that year.

17 but that's meaningless as I have no idea when it occurred. Could have been early in year. The 2017 year our high water mark all year was 70 so that provides more context. Based on NIT seeding we were closer to NIT bubble than NCAA bubble in 2017. In 2015 we finished 64 rpi, but if we had beaten a pretty high rpi team in VCU we jump and then if we win A10 semis game we're probably in. Given we were first FOUR out - definitely not first out as Broc mentioned - that's probably enough. Lunardi had nothing to do with it. The Committee stated the actual first four out not Lunardi. I think most of us were a little surprised we were listed as first four out though.

The Lunardi spiderman fetish came later. If you heard him and Hardt on radio a couple weeks ago it was....Awkward. Sounded like two old men having a tickle fight.

17 but that's meaningless as I have no idea when it occurred. Could have been early in year. The 2017 year our high water mark all year was 70 so that provides more context. Based on NIT seeding we were closer to NIT bubble than NCAA bubble in 2017. In 2015 we finished 64 rpi, but if we had beaten a pretty high rpi team in VCU we jump and then if we win A10 semis game we're probably in. Given we were first FOUR out - definitely not first out as Broc mentioned - that's probably enough. Lunardi had nothing to do with it. The Committee stated the actual first four out not Lunardi. I think most of us were a little surprised we were listed as first four out though.

The Lunardi spiderman fetish came later. If you heard him and Hardt on radio a couple weeks ago it was....Awkward. Sounded like two old men having a tickle fight.
Rankings by week
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/schedule/Richmond

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT