ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney billboard

Maybe there r legends and all time legends. JNew is the GOAT without dispute. But I personally use legend more liberally. Didn’t we say MFG was a legend? Fair. Certainly legendary moments. But he’s not an all timer nor close. Golden is #2 in scoring which gets its due imo tho I certainly admit a little inflated & very difficult to compare eras esp older ones where scoring could be difficult.

I still call Kenny Wood a legend.

Tony Dobbins a legend just for that shot at Kansas.

Last edited:
Interesting to take this kind of victory lap in a season where the program didn't make the NCAA tournament, but folks are entitled to buy whatever billboard they want.
Agree. Quite frankly it's insulting and flat out embarrassing to act like we had a stellar year. WE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE NCAAS! This is not a year to celebrate. Have bigger goals. The players aren't even pleased with their season. Insulting.

Agree. Quite frankly it's insulting and flat out embarrassing to act like we had a stellar year. WE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE NCAAS! This is not a year to celebrate. Have bigger goals. The players aren't even pleased with their season. Insulting.

didn't make the NCAA's and didn't win a game in the conference tournament as the 1 seed. Billboard time :rolleyes:

23's All Legend :) Team - Players eligible - played during 88 season and after:

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Curtis Blair
SF - Jarod Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - Mike Winiecki

2nd Team:
PG - Gilly
SG - Gonzo
SF - Burton
PF - Kenny Wood
C - Golden

Other Fav's: Bigelow and Kevin Smith

Reactions: urfan1

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Curtis Blair
SF - Jarod Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - Mike Winiecki

2nd Team:
PG - Gilly
SG - Gonzo
SF - Burton
PF - Kenny Wood
C - Golden

No Peter W.?

Last edited:

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Curtis Blair
SF - Jarod Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - Mike Winiecki

2nd Team:
PG - Gilly
SG - Gonzo
SF - Burton
PF - Kenny Wood
C - Golden

hard for me to consider a guy with one big year a legend like Winiecki. that kind of limits Harper too, and Jarod. I always felt Greg was the better Stevenson, though only here 2 seasons.

TJ Cline's a first teamer for me even without the dance. All effort guy.
Woolfolk is a legend if for nothing else but for his battle with The Admiral.
Dobbins had the most legendary bucket.

It seems like for some “legend” status is only for the players who played in their day and the “new kids” will never be as good. I’m getting a glimpse into my future 30-40 years down the line 😄

Those of us born after the LBJ administration (I was born after Clinton took office) never saw Bob McCurdy play. I know nothing about him. He could have averaged 100 points a game, but his ability has nothing to do with how good Grant, TJ, Gilly, etc. are/were.

I guarantee Gilly would have picked his pocket multiple times a game though

KA is a legend of UR basketball to me. If there's only one in the 30 years I've paid attention, I think I'm picking him.
Agreed. KA is in a class of one during the Mooney era and frankly during my era of following Spider hoops which goes back to the mid 90's. Legend.

Agreed. KA is in a class of one during the Mooney era and frankly during my era of following Spider hoops which goes back to the mid 90's. Legend.
Wish I had been able to see him, but he’s just before my time.

For me, I don’t see any future Spider topping TJ Cline. In my mind he’s in a league of his own. Maybe I already am a back in my day type of guy.

Reactions: spiderman
Then there’s Warren Mills. He’s the first spider to have his jersey retired. I realize few on here are probably aware of him because he played many years ago. But unless I’m wrong, there are only 2 retired jerseys???? And that says something.

For me, "legend" =s your "greatness" has staying power. So Newman, Atkinson, Anderson, Gilyard, Tarrant, and maybe Beilein.

There's plenty of "greats" mentioned on this thread, probably some others that I can't think of. Sometimes it's only for one really memorable thing or season (Dobbins for the shot, King maybe for this season, Brothers for the VCU game), and sometimes it's for sustained effort/performance and just being a player that everyone remembers (Golden, Cline, Anthony). Usually the latter category (at least pre NIL) was the player that would make your opponents wonder "is that guy still here?".

SpiderRick, before you criticize Grant, I think you should dedicate 6 year of your life to U of R basketball, become the 2nd highest scorer in program history, continue to help the program after you graduate by coaching some of the players, which included 2nd team All conference Quinn and then you will have the right to criticize him.

I think this billboard is awesome, because it shows the loyalty of our program to the players. This is one of the reason we are getting great talent from the transfer portal.

Well, I've never scored a single point for Richmond basketball, but I've dedicated a lot more than six years of my life to the program.

Let's not fault Golden and pretend he's not an all time great just because he got an extra covid year. Leaving the shortened 2021 year and his 1st year (where he scored 18 total points) out, here are his 4 year numbers and Richmond ranks:

1961 points: 6th.
870 rebounds: 5th.
395 assists: 8th.

Grant was an outstanding player and definitely one of our all time greats.

Maybe there r legends and all time legends. JNew is the GOAT without dispute. But I personally use legend more liberally. Didn’t we say MFG was a legend? Fair. Certainly legendary moments. But he’s not an all timer nor close. Golden is #2 in scoring which gets its due imo tho I certainly admit a little inflated & very difficult to compare eras esp older ones where scoring could be difficult.

I still call Kenny Wood a legend.

Tony Dobbins a legend just for that shot at Kansas.
Fair enough, our definition and use of the term differs. All good. To me MFG is not a legend because of a few great plays over the course of 5 years. But Gilly is a legend for his overall career performance. Anyone can disagree.

PG - Kevin Anderson
SG - Curtis Blair
SF - Jarod Stevenson
PF - Justin Harper
C - Mike Winiecki

2nd Team:
PG - Gilly
SG - Gonzo
SF - Burton
PF - Kenny Wood
C - Golden

I am a bit shocked not to see Kenny Atkinson on that 1st of 2nd team. Admittedly he is just before my time at UR, but everyone always refers to him as one of the best. He played at UR from 1986 to 1990. I just feel like when Kevin Anderson was around there were always arguments over starting all time point guard between the two KA's (obviously before the third KA came around).

I am a bit shocked not to see Kenny Atkinson on that 1st of 2nd team. Admittedly he is just before my time at UR, but everyone always refers to him as one of the best. He played at UR from 1986 to 1990. I just feel like when Kevin Anderson was around there were always arguments over starting all time point guard between the two KA's (obviously before the third KA came around).
he's certainly in the coversation. we've had some really good PGs. Beckwith was a different kind of PG, but a heck of a good one too.

Big Kenny Atkinson fan. Season would end, walk into the carpet gym and there he was in a pick up game. Great player, clutch player too. If I had to rate all time back courts (again I started in fall 88) it would probably be Atkinson/Blair 1 and KA/Gonzo 2.

Gilly I had beat him out based on his overall career and steals mark, NCAA run, AND NBA career to date.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
The "legends" to me either have their names in the rafters OR we're the leaders of teams that did something extraordinary. I don't know where and if Grant falls on that list. Gilly was the leader of that team, Grant was second in my opinion. So, if we were to have a legend from those teams it would be Gilly.
Absolutely agree

Big Kenny Atkinson fan. Season would end, walk into the carpet gym and there he was in a pick up game. Great player, clutch player too. If I had to rate all time back courts (again I started in fall 88) it would probably be Atkinson/Blair 1 and KA/Gonzo 2.

Gilly I had beat him out based on his overall career and steals mark, NCAA run, AND NBA career to date.
I could be mistaken but Atkinson won 3 ncaa games including a sweet 16 at the helm...pretty impressive!

I am with you EL, I would add Kevin Anderson in there with Johnny Newman.

Which then begs the question Gilly :)?:)?

But it seems Newman is one that stands alone.
Too young to have seen Newman play (other than highlights), so for me since I’ve been following the program (2004), it starts and ends with Kevin Anderson.

I loved Gilly, a great great player, best and most important player on the teams he was on, but KA was more of a killer, and lead us to back to back tourneys and a sweet 16. Gilly isn’t on that level, but no one else I’ve seen since 2004 is on KA’s level.

Kevin Anderson undisputed by everyone.

I think Gilly is there too. For me, TJ Cline has merits to be on that list too. Can't include all the greats in a legends category, though.

We may never see any more legends. King had the potential to make that list, but you can't become a legend in 1 year. Nowadays, the stars will only be here 1 or 2 years, and to me that doesn't meet legend criteria.

We may never see any more legends. King had the potential to make that list, but you can't become a legend in 1 year. Nowadays, the stars will only be here 1 or 2 years, and to me that doesn't meet legend criteria.
Interesting on King. I agree , it will be difficult for a 1-2 year player to ever make it to the same level of greatness as a 4 year player. I would have considered King to be on one of my all time greats and his POY status gives him eligibility, what eliminates him in my opinion is the disappearing act he pulled in the A-10 tourney and NIT. All time greats play their best games in the biggest games, King didn't, unfortunately.

Kenny Atkinson all around friendly outgoing guy - refer often to his almost half court shot in Richmond Coliseum that sank VCU at the buzzer..................
Agree. I know some folks seemed to think he could be abrasive or whatever, but I interacted with him a few times and he was great. Talked Richmond hoops with him at the fraternities one evening for about 20 minutes. Played some hoops with him in the carpet gym. I emailed him just to congratulate when he got the HC job with the Nets, was not expecting a reply, and he sent me a few paragraphs - though pretty sure he did not know who I was. He was the ultimate gym rat.

Reactions: VT4700 and GKiller
I feel like I'm missing something here?

SRS is a favorite metric of ur80sfan. He uses it to devalue the performance & accomplishments of Coach Tarrant and his players in comparison to Coach Mooney and his players. Even tho SRS is another predictive system. 80sfan can be quite negative too.

Atkinson was a baller. /s should have been at the end of my post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT