ADVERTISEMENT

UMass Game Thread - 7pm Wed ESPN+

This is a prime example of classic mooney getting outcoached by a better coach. When expectations are high Mooney always disappoints. You can kiss the chance at an at large goodbye
Of course. Classic Mooney. Team comes out flat and he makes no adjustments at all to change the momentum of the game. Amazing how often his teams start games at home with no energy or confidence. Double digit Q3 loss.
I take back all I've said about the NET. It has UR right where it should be.

Admittedly we didn’t start with energy, but let’s be honest. We didn’t hit shit tonight. We could not shoot and Jordan king was absent. Free throws were trash too. 28% from 3 and 64% from FT

It’s a bad loss, Clarence Armstrong is the worst official in the country but we lost bc we got out worked not bad officiating, but dang…some of yall are fair weather fans. Geez, the season isn’t over and if you think the team doesn’t care or coaches don’t care you haven’t been paying attention. Also, where were the students tonight? Terrible showing by them…again!

Spiders played some entirely checked-out, disinterested lousy basketball tonight. Each starter found a way to be pretty awful.
Exactly. Zero energy the entire game from the team and in the arena. I would give every single starter a grade of a F, with the exception of Tynne who at least brought some energy. Walz in my opinion was particularly bad, just got consistently beat on defense, has his back to the basket the entire time on offense, passed up a wide open dunk (admittedly we made a 3 on that, but it was still a weak decision.

And then Mooney, zero adjustments. I thought after having our lunch handed to us for a full 20 minutes in the first half, he would have come out with a different look of some type. But nope. I particularly loved how he used the timeout with under 30 seconds left in the game when we were down by 10. Great bud, I'm glad that is what you were saving it for.

Hopefully, the team just collectively had an off night. I guess it was bound to happen, I was hoping it would be a road game against a decent team. Alas.

Walz hasn’t looked very good lately
He gave up a wide open shot at the goal. Passed to Bigs who hit a three, but he looks like his role is only as a distributor. He really doesn’t look like he looks to score except on occasion. Need him for points. This will be an issue next year when he starts unless it’s addressed.

This is a prime example of classic mooney getting outcoached by a better coach. When expectations are high Mooney always disappoints. You can kiss the chance at an at large goodbye
Down 16 and we still aren’t following missed shots. No urgency for offensive rebounds when down 16. Everyone headed opposite way to prevent Mass from going up 18 I guess is Mooney’s thought process.

Down 16 and we still aren’t following missed shots. No urgency for offensive rebounds when down 16. Everyone headed opposite way to prevent Mass from going up 18 I guess is Mooney’s thought process.
Where have you been? Richmond doesn't do offensive rebounds.

This was truly maddening. Like, 'oh well, guess we missed that one, but we'll definitely get back in time to prevent this fast break that isn't coming.'

Reactions: Spiders4ever
It’s a bad loss, Clarence Armstrong is the worst official in the country but we lost bc we got out worked not bad officiating, but dang…some of yall are fair weather fans. Geez, the season isn’t over and if you think the team doesn’t care or coaches don’t care you haven’t been paying attention. Also, where were the students tonight? Terrible showing by them…again!
Pathetic "effort" from basically all the other sports teams that were there for the halftime thing. They sat on their hands for the entire first half like they were being punished by having to attend the game, then all but about 6 of them left at halftime.

Silly me thought down 16 would cause Mooney to show a little flexibility and realize points don’t grow on trees. I guess offensive rebounds still are highly overrated and forever or until we get a new coach.
Right, when you are getting your asses kicked, going hard after offensive rebounds is one of the simplest strategies to employ to try to change momentum. But, Mooney.

We won’t end up in the Top 4. Everybody knows we can’t handle pressure defense.
Then why are you still here? We lose a game and some lose their minds. We got beat tonight, and outworked it happens. The important thing is battle back Saturday. But I know I wouldn’t want some of the fans up here and on other social media platforms as a fan bc some of yall are just ridiculous. This team was picked 11th and we are still in 1st and hold the tie breaker against the other 2 teams. But hey you feel free and others to mail it in and call it a year.

Start out 8-0 in the A10 and most likely won't make the tournament talk about a wasted opportunity. Still people will look at this season as a success but in reality its just giving Looney more time to lose more games.

was planning on watching the game on replay bc had other commitment tonight, but obvs won't now.

Any details anyone who watched can share? Box score looks dreadful basically across the board. Did we get good looks and miss in the 1st half? I worry about what teams are doing to key on Jordan and that we're not getting him going this month. I advocate for the small lineup because it's a wrinkle and adds a different energy. I'd advocate for a real full court press too, in games like tonight, not the token full court press we often show to winnow the opponent's shot clock.

Anyway, keep on. Gotta get back on it. We've known for months that an at large wasn't realistic, though it was a nice diversion, but rarely does a team go 17-1 in the A10, only really elite teams historically.

If you saw the vcu game, picture that only in the RC. It appeared they had six defenders on the court at all times. Quinn was again invisible and unwilling to go to the rim. King had 8 or 10 in the first half but nothing came easy and then he got in foul trouble in the second. We couldn't hit much of anything from deep and were awful at the foul line while UMass missed 3 of 24. At one point later in the second half, I think we were called for fouls on six consecutive defensive possessions. If not, it was really close.

We all knew this type of game was coming at some point. Key is how we respond. Need the leaders to take charge and have the team come out ready on Saturday. Time will tell if this team is different than some past teams and has a little more grit or if we’re going to let it tailspin. I am cautiously optimistic.

Then why are you still here? We lose a game and some lose their minds. We got beat tonight, and outworked it happens. The important thing is battle back Saturday. But I know I wouldn’t want some of the fans up here and on other social media platforms as a fan bc some of yall are just ridiculous. This team was picked 11th and we are still in 1st and hold the tie breaker against the other 2 teams. But hey you feel free and others to mail it in and call it a year.

We are not in 1st

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I’m sorry but what? We stack 9 conference wins in silence but it’s the 2 losses that get people here to post. First off, Frank Martin a better coach? Are you Frank Martin??

I’m about to sound like a VT burner (24-7 intensifies) but the only stretch we looked good in this game was when Mooney made adjustments and had the cajones to bench Jordan King and let Tyne lead us back into it. We lost this game because every player on the court, with the exception of Tyler Harris, was bad. It’s easy to blame the teacher when only one student passes but if everybody who flunked (VCU students probably) never even opened the textbook then you don’t blame the teacher.

We left 10 points at the free throw line and missed all sorts of open shots. Almost everybody seemed to make precisely the wrong play at the wrong time. It was heads down basketball. It’s the first time I ever thought we looked like I do on the court (panicked, deer in headlights, all my teammates wishing I was on the other team, etc.). Hell, we couldn’t have scored the ball in the ocean if we dropped it off a cruise ship.

We can sit around and say this game is proof Mooney sucks (it isn’t) or we can just admit every team has bad games and we just had one. I understand it’s Valentine’s Day but let’s think with our heads and not our hearts here.

Last edited:
Pathetic "effort" from basically all the other sports teams that were there for the halftime thing. They sat on their hands for the entire first half like they were being punished by having to attend the game, then all but about 6 of them left at halftime.
I would argue that having to attend that game was indeed a punishment. Or a Valentine’s Day “treat” for someone into some S&M on steroids type stuff

Reactions: Ram Bal
What a disappointing effort and result last night. Coming out flat yet again, getting bullied on the boards, getting continually abused on switches and not adjusting, leaving tons of points at the free throw line, etc. Poor showing all around in a game we had to have.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1

I read this write up and had me a little more worried before the game. I don't agree with the assessment that we are fraudulent. But we don't have the talent level to just show up and play our C game and win. Most nights need our A game to win. As annoying as Martin is, he is probably a better coach than Mooney. The game earlier in the year where he called out his team, they game back the next day on 0 days rest and won in a blowout.

I said we need to play Cohen/Cross even and would be in good shape. They combine for 27 points and 20 rebounds. Quinn and Bigs combined for 14 and 6. Stark difference. Again I am worried about Bigs wearing down. Was hoping Soulis could have been a 10 minutes game guy bit with injuries that has not panned out.

With respect (because I do respect all your posts and appreciate your insight), but we are amongst the most dedicated fans that Richmond has had, year in and year out, for many many years. Some are "glass half full" and some are "glass half empty", but none here that I would classify as fair weather. This kind of game is Groundhog Day to us. We've seen this before many times in the past 20 years. Guys here get upset and say stupid things, not because we don't care but because we are passionate about Spider sports.

Will you be here in 20 years?

Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar, we shall see.

We have 2 losses, dayton has 2 losses and Loyola has 2 losses and we hold the tie breaker on both as it stands today. Technically dayton .5 game up bc they have played 1 more game than us. But the records still remain at 2 losses each.

All have 2 losses but standings have never worked that way. FYI we r .5 game behind Loyola too. We r in 3rd. Which makes sense bc we have to win to equal their record. Our next game is at GW where we r probably given a 65 or 70% max chance to win.

Reactions: urfan1

I read this write up and had me a little more worried before the game. I don't agree with the assessment that we are fraudulent. But we don't have the talent level to just show up and play our C game and win. Most nights need our A game to win. As annoying as Martin is, he is probably a better coach than Mooney. The game earlier in the year where he called out his team, they game back the next day on 0 days rest and won in a blowout.

I said we need to play Cohen/Cross even and would be in good shape. They combine for 27 points and 20 rebounds. Quinn and Bigs combined for 14 and 6. Stark difference. Again I am worried about Bigs wearing down. Was hoping Soulis could have been a 10 minutes game guy bit with injuries that has not panned out.
The scouting report is now out on us. UMass did the same thing vcu did on defense -- in our faces constantly, aggressive on D, one-and-done for our offense because we couldn't get any rebounds. It prevented us from ever getting anything going. It was the same exact game we saw against the lambs.

Not every team has the personnel to do that to us, but enough do that we better figure things out or else the season is going to go off the rails in a hurry,

With respect (because I do respect all your posts and appreciate your insight), but we are amongst the most dedicated fans that Richmond has had, year in and year out, for many many years. Some are "glass half full" and some are "glass half empty", but none here that I would classify as fair weather. This kind of game is Groundhog Day to us. We've seen this before many times in the past 20 years. Guys here get upset and say stupid things, not because we don't care but because we are passionate about Spider sports.

Will you be here in 20 years?

Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar, we shall see.
I understand this...and appreciate that (I've been guilty of it myself, as I am just as passionate) but as soon as we lose there are a few up here and generally it's the same few and the new posters/lurkers that pop up to just crap on the team/coaches. Everyone hates losing, esp those who are actually playing the game. This is a solid team that is 9-2 in conf and some act like the Spiders are 2-9. There are plenty of rational/passionate fans on this board and I've met quite a few but let's be honest there are some that thrive on the negativity of us losing. They hardly ever post when things are going well but are the first to pop their head up after a loss and bash. I'm with you, hopefully a blip and I'm def not giving up on this team. We didn't play to our standards and expectations last night and a good team needs to find a way to bounce back Sat.

All have 2 losses but standings have never worked that way. FYI we r .5 game behind Loyola too. We r in 3rd. Which makes sense bc we have to win to equal their record. Our next game is at GW where we r probably given a 65 or 70% max chance to win.
I don't see it that way, bc we had the week off they are 10-2 and we are 9-2...Did we not defeat both of those teams? If we finish with the same record at the end, who holds the tie breaker? Sat if we are sitting at 10-2 are we not still tied? Let's agree to disagree bc mind isn't going to change until we are an actual game behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT