ADVERTISEMENT

Training Camp Central

Took in a little bit of practice today. #18 Dejon Brisset and #99 Kolby Williams stood out to me as true freshmen that might contribute this season. Williams is much bigger than I expected.

With Bevels(who played bigger than his size) out for the season,Brisset could be a big help at WR(same size as Bevels).With Williams' size he could be the new Fullum who coincidently attended the same high school,Landon,in Bethesda.

32 have you been put in charge of Spider football PR?

It looks like the news has been ramped up significantly for the good...

Got out to the opening day of practice for a few minutes...believe I saw the previously mentioned Brissett catching some punts too along with Brian Brown and several others...Helkowski seemed to be booming them...four QB's were working #5, #7, #14 and #16...Reggie Diggs was on the field...

Go Spiders!

The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Alex Light working with the 1's at RT. The kid is a monster.

Brissett was working with the 1's some at WR.

Got a closer look at the D Line today. Andre Booker from Manchester is very impressive. He should definitely play this year.

32 have you been put in charge of Spider football PR?

It looks like the news has been ramped up significantly for the good...

Got out to the opening day of practice for a few minutes...believe I saw the previously mentioned Brissett catching some punts too along with Brian Brown and several others...Helkowski seemed to be booming them...four QB's were working #5, #7, #14 and #16...Reggie Diggs was on the field...

Go Spiders!

The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Mojo

It's a team effort from everyone on the Board.BB has turned up the PR to heights none of us have previously seen.
Our QB's are EXTREMELY young:

5- Lauletta is a RSo
7-Johnson is a Frosh
14-Broadus is a RJr
16-Dearing is a Preferred Walk-on Frosh

Mojo

It's a team effort from everyone on the Board.BB has turned up the PR to heights none of us have previously seen.
Our QB's are EXTREMELY young:

5- Lauletta is a RSo
7-Johnson is a Frosh
14-Broadus is a RJr
16-Dearing is a Preferred Walk-on Frosh

Couldn't agree more about the ramped up PR. Getting great coverage.

As for the QBs, Lauletta has looked head and tails above the other QBs at practice. I like Johnson's potential but he's been a little erratic in camp so far...

Johnson is listed as 6'0" but he doesn't seem to be more than 5'10". Can he really be a QB for us long term?

DR said he was very comparable to Lauletta in skill set... ie not a runner. I think he will be fine. Working out the freshman jitters. Coaching staff very high on him.

I caught some of the the practice this morning. I agree that Lauletta is by far our best option at QB. He is much more consistent with his throws than anyone else. The defense dominated the one team drill I saw, and I thought KL held the ball a few times when he had open receivers. However, he made a nice throw on a deeper out route and looked much better than Broaddus and the two freshmen. I thought the defensive backs looked fast and I really like the depth at that position. Great to be back in Robins Stadium watching Spider Football!

I am one that love to have a young QB that will grow with the program. We have had success with the one or two year guy. Therefore this no knock on them. I recall Coach Clawson saying the QB is at his peck understanding our offensive scheme between year 2-3 (redshirt year included).

DR said he was very comparable to Lauletta in skill set... ie not a runner. I think he will be fine. Working out the freshman jitters. Coaching staff very high on him.

A 5'10" QB who isn't a runner is either Drew Brees or ... a guy who wasn't a very good QB, no? Let's hope he's Brees.

if he is 5'10" and they are leaving him at qb and not moving to receiver or db, then he must have some outstanding skills. at least thinking the way a coach would, that is my take. just starting out, will redshirt so plenty of time to figure out.

Kevin Johnson is a good QB to take for an FCS program, but would think we would be looking elsewhere in future recruiting classes. Secondary better than last year, especially at safety. And agree with B, KL has be hesitant at times but no doubt will be the QB v Maryland. Has beaten out Broadus for 2 years now, not just last spring.

Reactions: 30YearSPDR
Was able to get out to practice on Sunday (on the Grass Field) and see how the team was looking.

In the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11.. seemed like the defense won on those, they had a bunch of different looks and packages... seemed to be successful with their speed. Saw a lot of movement of personell... especially on the line and with the ILB.... saw Muse move Oline out of the way, Herlocker had some good plays, used his size and strength to his advantage. Saw Chad W play a bit of Def Line and do a good if not great job there ... the 1's on ILB seemed to be very successful... some of the Freshman they placed for the 2's and 3's looked like they were still learning and not quite as physical, had a number of mental mistakes. OLB's looked good, need to shore up a couple on a couple of assignments. DB's looked very physical and attacking the ball... there was no real "hitting", but the DB's were in the right place to make the tackles. From the offense, saw the rotation of the QB's, how they used them in all facets.. stay in pocket, some running and some option style.... accuracy was still developing for each... was trying to get use to numbers and such, so not sure when the throw went, who threw it. Some positives I did see (outside of the normal things), Collins looked real good, was both the physical runner and ways able to move threw the line to get extra yards.. He had a diving catch out of the back field about 30 yards downfield that he beat the Safety...pretty spectacular. Was Impressed also with Caleb Drake... he was able to get free more than half the times I saw him.. but the QB either missed the read or way overthrew him (not sure who the QB was)... was good to see, he looked pretty shifty. Some of the other running backs looked like they have bulked up... we should be able to use the platoon and punish some teams if we have a lead. Just my 2 or 3 cents.

32, would say #43 has bulked up and is still very quick, but just has some good guys ahead of him. But good depth is never a bad thing for FCS football. Would hope to see him in most games this year.

32, would say #43 has bulked up and is still very quick, but just has some good guys ahead of him. But good depth is never a bad thing for FCS football. Would hope to see him in most games this year.

He will be ready when his opportunity is there. He is starting to get that mean streak and enjoys the contact. I know he and Gordon have gone head to head on a few drills and with the extra weight and strength has had good success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT