ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

Dayton has apparently joined Ohio State in pulling out of the Sioux Falls event.

Reactions: plydogg
Boom - Dayton with another huge pick up. Adding to recent 4 star PF, now land 6'9 Mustapha Amzil - he of recent offers from Marquette and Indiana among others. Interesting of note, he played for Finland national team and now at First Love - I. Wilson's school, though not sure if he was there after Isaiah? Anyway, Dayton recruiting at a high level - and grabbing not one, but two highly sought after bigs.

Boom - Dayton with another huge pick up. Adding to recent 4 star PF, now land 6'9 Mustapha Amzil - he of recent offers from Marquette and Indiana among others. Interesting of note, he played for Finland national team and now at First Love - I. Wilson's school, though not sure if he was there after Isaiah? Anyway, Dayton recruiting at a high level - and grabbing not one, but two highly sought after bigs.
Dayton establishing itself as the man child of the A-10 for the next few years.

Dayton establishing itself as the man child of the A-10 for the next few years.
Yes, they are loading up. Very nicely done off of a top 10 type of year. What makes more impressive is no hype of the NCAA's last season to shine the light brighter.

Completely missed this one too: Caleb Washington 4 star 6'8 wing. Wow, what a class. https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/kaleb-washington-commits-to-dayton

And I saw one of their other freshman, not as highly rated - but best athlete on the floor RJ Blakney. He is a freak 6'6 athlete.

That is the difference from our NCAA run in 2011-12 and VCU's run, and Dayton's success last season, they were able to capitalize, we were not. And yes, love our current seniors - but Dayton is doing this with great positional size and athleticism - that is a key difference in being able to go toe to toe with Kansas and similar last season.

I do think Mooney is doing well in the last couple classes, but look at Dayton - three 6'8 plus top rated guys. IMpressive.

Any body else wondering if what Dayton is doing is fully above board

At this point I assume pretty much no program is operating above board. And I always find myself being hypocritical about which programs I choose to dislike for it and which ones I give a free pass.

Don't be haters guys. They won the lotto on Toppin and they are cashing in. That is a weak argument when talking about Anthony Grant counselor fan1.

OK so having a question makes one a hater? Being suspicious is making an argument? If he's above board my hats off to him.

Anthony Grant is the most ethical and good person you will ever meet. In his 30 year coaching career, never any issues. Probably one of the most trusted and respected people in college basketball.

Dayton pitch. Come play in front of 13,500 fans at facilities that rival any team in the county, and private planes to all away games. And Dayton will have as many or more fans at any neutral event like Maui. Oh by the way, Grant developed Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and a host of other NBA players. Last 3 years Grant has had Kostas go in 2nd round, Obi lottery, and possibly Crutcher 2nd round next year. Grant has history at FL, VCU, Alabama, and now Dayton of developing big men who end up in the NBA.

UNI replacing Texas A&M in Sioux Falls...gets them a game against WVU and two more good games.

When there is a big jump, or rapid rise in success, it’s usually a trigger for NCAA investigation.
But, as said, Grant seems to have always been with and has been a straight shooting guy.
I don’t have any concerns that they are playing above board.

Reactions: ruechalgrin
Probably not above the board but who cares. Maybe UR should be like everyone else and bend the rules a little bit. It’s the only way to keep up.

Is there a dislike button?
Call me crazy but I would take a guy like Rick Pitino in a heartbeat. May not play by the rules but would win a ton of games. There may be ncaa penalties later as a result but man it would be a fun ride and at the end of the day the games still count. I don’t think Louisville regrets winning a national title.

SLU was supposed to play LSU and Nebraska at this event...

Edit: Looks like they're hosting their own event with LSU and SIU-Edwardsville, so actually not a bad change for them. LSU at home instead of neutral (though with the crowd situation, not a big factor and neutral would be better for NET) and Nebraska stinks anyway.

Call me crazy but I would take a guy like Rick Pitino in a heartbeat. May not play by the rules but would win a ton of games. There may be ncaa penalties later as a result but man it would be a fun ride and at the end of the day the games still count. I don’t think Louisville regrets winning a national title.
That title has been vacated and stricken from the NCAA record books. I bet there's some regret.

If you played on that team I think they still believe they won the national title because they did. Fans likely feel the same way.

I was at the game. They won the game. I saw it with my own eyes. But they cheated to win it, so it doesn’t count. It is an easy concept

Is there a more scummy combo in the history of collegiate athletics than Louisville had with Pitino and Petrino? Orgeron and Wade give them a run for their money.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Is there a more scummy combo in the history of collegiate athletics than Louisville had with Pitino and Petrino? Orgeron and Wade give them a run for their money.
I think Orgeron might just be more unaware than anything. He’s just a good ole Cajun boy who doesn’t know much about anything except crawfish and LSU football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT