ADVERTISEMENT

The competition thread

ACC coaches are proposing that all 350+ teams make the tournament this year.

Reactions: plydogg
yay, everybody gets to hang a banner ... and the banners for teams that actually deserve it become worthless.
tball2.jpg

This is quite literally one of the worst ideas, I've ever heard. And I'm not sure how in COVID, expanding the tournament makes any sense from a safety precaution standpoint.

Mooney is going to kick that missing the dance streak right to the curb.

This would seriously diminish my interest in college hoops. Last season re-kindled my following, with us, SDSU and Dayton having good seasons, but i think this will hurt attendance/viewership up until March - if this is a going forward type of proposal.

It will be interesting to see exactly what is being proposed. I wonder if they are proposing no conference championships (what would be the point) and instead there would be one large nation wide tournament. Seems like a logistical nightmare with plenty of virus related hurdles.

On a positive note, it gives us something to talk about

I think it depends on what happens with regular season schedules. If we end up having little or no non-conference season, it will be impossible to rank teams relative to one another and I would be in support of a one-time move to include everyone in the NCAA tournament.

But if we can get enough interconference games played where there's meaningful data, I'd prefer to stick with something closer to normal. Maybe a one-time expansion to 96 teams or something to be a little more inclusive given uncertainties, but that's about it.

the conference tournaments already give everyone the chance to compete for a national title. there'd be no point in conference tournaments if this proposal passes. I fail to see how this makes anyone more money. and I don't believe for a second the ACC is proposing this for the benefit of the 340th team.

is the NIT tournament run by the NCAA? maybe they're trying to put that out of business, along with the CBI and whoever else throws a tournament.

Reactions: urfan1
NIT is run by the NCAA.

Maybe give some benefit to conference tournament winners like a first/second-round bye or something.

definitely sounds like a proposal that coaches would make. Self preservation. Keep your job, extend your contract. Look I made the NCAAs!

sure spitball of a lot of contingencies. but there is still time. look if football can pull this off, and they continue to play high school sports in so many places of the country, and the colleges can mitigate spread successfully, a full non conference should still be #1 option on the table, and just extend the season a few weeks as needed.

This one doesn't excite me. It greatly devalues the reg season. Do you think W&M wants to get it's first ever NCAA bid this way? Or Duquesne first since 1977? I think they both have more pride than that.

Supposedly Coach K was the driving force on the idea...not sure he's motivated by job preservation.

Of course not but having a face to it like Coach K helps. And these coaches tend to look after their colleagues. Does it get the same attention if it were the BC coach? 1 congressman sponsors a bill too, it still needs to get the votes. And they got them from all the ACC coaches...shocker.

Hey look Lunardi even agrees...he's terrible at the brackets but he's right here...

"If the ACC coaches were really interested in celebrating the sport, they would play a road game at UNC Greensboro or Furman. In the meantime, I remained unconvinced this isn't a self-serving ploy to avoid nonconference games and/or get every ACC team into the NCAA tourney. "

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-team-ncaa-college-basketball-tournament-work

I get that there are ulterior motives for some, but my main issue is still IF we end up with little-to-no OOC schedule, how can you possibly select teams for a normal tourney?

Also agree with others that this was a terrible way to push for the idea...needed to gather more support before one conference just comes out full blast with the suggestion. But of course the NCAA is nowhere to be seen, as usual.

I disagree with this suggestion, it should only be 320 teams. The bottom 30+ are left out.
Top 64 get 2 round bye so only 7 games, the rest play 9 games total to be champion.
😈

I disagree with this suggestion, it should only be 320 teams. The bottom 30+ are left out.
Top 64 get 2 round bye so only 7 games, the rest play 9 games total to be champion.
😈
What about the 321st team ? Do they not deserve a chance at a national title ?

This would be an incredible dumb and lazy decision and infuriating as someone whose watched us struggle to get back only to have our two best teams to not have a full season. Shame on all athletic directors and presidents for not thinking more locally. There are 13 teams in the state with a wide array of strengths of programs. You could literally play a round robin vs all the schools in the state and get 24 regular season games in without ever having to leave it. This can be the case across the country if implemented right but we are thinking about this the wrong way.

Our teams should not be playing regular season conference schedules its just too difficult, the A10 and other conferences should adopt a tennis style conference schedule where you only have an obligation to play in the conference tournament but schedule as you please in the regular season. No reason we should be flying to STL for games in a pandemic when we are within driving distance of scores of schools. It would involve everyone swallowing their pride to a degree, but we are in uncertain times and its better than nothing. I don't get why this hasn't gained more steam nationally to have bus games other than egos and maybe tv contracts when I hear stupid ideas like the one proposed above.

Last edited:
Then again.....we're the first 15 seed to win a tournament game.
This would give us an opportunity to be the first 17 seed to win a game.
Of course, we'd be playing a 50-something seed in the first round.

NCAA is not having any of it.

Thankfully, the NCAA reacted quickly.

I am sure the ACC is disappointed. I think what they really wanted was a commitment to a tournament expansion and the NCAA statement seems to nix that possibility altogether for at least the forthcoming season.

A10 Preview.

This is going to be a tough league this year.

Dayton and Bonnies I think are more of a challenge to us then Rhody and SLU. I think coaching is better for Dayton and Bonnies.

Reactions: urfan1
A10 Preview.

This is going to be a tough league this year.

Dayton and Bonnies I think are more of a challenge to us then Rhody and SLU. I think coaching is better for Dayton and Bonnies.
It feels so good to read all of these positive stories about what others think of our team.
Please, any of you negative Nellies, allow us to enjoy these moments before you post- “well, let’s
see where we are in March.” 😄

The team deserves all of the accolades it gets right now. But they also now have to live up to all the hype once the season starts. I think they will. The talent is obvious but I think how they gel that talent with good team leadership and a cohesive group of guys, who know and understand their roles.

Reactions: gcarter52
UMass was hit with a two-year probation and may have to vacate a bunch of wins from 2014-2017 due to overpayment of financial aid in men's hoops and women's tennis. They overpaid housing costs for some athletes who moved off-campus after the start of the semester and also paid an annual UMass phone fee for several students even though they were living off-campus and not subject to the fee.

UMass is going to appeal the penalties though.

The team deserves all of the accolades it gets right now. But they also now have to live up to all the hype once the season starts.
The key is how the team will respond to being the hunted versus the hunter. The good news is experience and unified desire to make the tournament.

The A10 will be a fun league to watch as it has become more balanced and many teams have mature rosters.

Had to chuckle at the impact players mentioned though. We haven’t seen anything on the practice front from Crabtree nor Bailey.

The key is how the team will respond to being the hunted versus the hunter
I agree with you here. I think there are 5-7 teams in conference with the raw talent to beat us on any night, and will have the motivation to do so. But, I love composure and experience that our players exude, so I think we overcome and win anyway. Just hoping everyone avoids the covid and we can watch this play out.

More JR hype for Umass

McCall is trying hard to put together the best team that money can buy. His job depends on it, that’s for sure.

WOW, Grant is not playing around, he is accumulating some nasty talent. Highest rated recruit ever at Dayton.

Fordham pausing workouts for two weeks due to a positive test. Hurts their chances of challenging for the A-10 title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT