ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech In Game

Loss doesn't give us much breathing room... top 3 in the A10 or bust (aka NIT)

I think for me loss of course is bad but no anythjng from Davis and Taylor is bigger problem .

My concern is the losses to the three physical clubs we've played WV, FL, and TT... URI game next week and 2 VCU games will be tough if we have similar showings where we get out rebounded by 20 and refuse to fight inside.

Can ANO transfer back mid-season ;-) I think he would have had a greater impact this year at UR. Stats below.

2015 (Pitt) - 10 games played, 12 min/game, 2 points/game, 3 rebounds/game, 1 block/game
2014 (UR) - 27 games played, 23 min/game, 7 points/game, 5 rebounds/game, 2 blocks/game

Those Pitt stats sure look familiar!!!!

Although career stats for Ododa aren't impressive, I do remember that he was playing at a high level both offensively and defensively the five or six games prior to his injury midway through his last year here. But as previously stated, it's a moot point.

And we played poorly at the home of a 9-1 team and still had a chance to pull it out. I'm disappointed that we played so poorly, but some posters need to relax. We're 8-4 with 3 good wins. we're not out of the mix, but we do need to be in the top of the A-10
We had a chance to pull it out??? What game were you watching?

Reactions: SpiderK
I think we know why Mooney was reportedly so upset about his departure. Like a Jenga puzzle, removing this one piece causes our defensive tower to come tumbling down.
Then change it up a little to counter that, oh wait, our coach doesn't know any alternative defenses.

We had a chance to pull it out??? What game were you watching?

I was watching the Richmond game, and we cut it to 10 with plenty of time left -- you can choose to hate if you want. I appreciate the guys did not quit even on a night when we stunk. I've talked with people associated with the program and they used the word embarrassed after I had used the word tough

Fan1 is right. Not only was it cut to 10, but we had the ball and missed an open 3. We didn't play well at Texas Tech, but we didn't quit and had a chance to make it a game.

I was watching the Richmond game, and we cut it to 10 with plenty of time left -- you can choose to hate if you want. I appreciate the guys did not quit even on a night when we stunk. I've talked with people associated with the program and they used the word embarrassed after I had used the word tough
We just disagree on "almost pulling it out". Never getting within 10 points in the second half and losing by 15 is not my definition of almost pulling it out. Being within a couple of points in the final minute or so is "almost pulling it out."

Fan1 is right. Not only was it cut to 10, but we had the ball and missed an open 3. We didn't play well at Texas Tech, but we didn't quit and had a chance to make it a game.
Wow. "We almost pulled it out" because we cut it to 10 at one point and MISSED a shot to cut it closer, then lost by 15. There wasn't one guy on TT or anyone in the building that thought UR might "pull it out". We played hard, yes, but we stunk up the place. Sugar coating it does nothing.

Reactions: SpiderK
Taylor and Davis combining for less then 5 points and 5 rebounds is unacceptable for seniors. I would
tend to start Trey over Deion and start Fore at guard. But if Trey is going to have a game like TT then
I don't know who is the lesser of two evils. Yes we did not give up and played hard, but if we are going to shoot
less then 50% from the charity stripe and get doubled in rebounding, then heart is generally not going to win you
the game. Also, TJ who is suppose to be the best passer on the team and very heady, committed 7 TOs where most
of them him trying to force something. Again, mistakes upper -classmen should not be making.

Shawndree is the heart of this team and without him for an extended period of time will kill us. We have no proven outside
guard shooting and it will put more pressure on Fore. CM will notch down further who can shoot and TA will be taken out of the
game with more double and triple coverage. With SDJ out of lineup we are best a middle or bottom A10 team. CM better think more about doing more playing time with
his frosh in the future in case more injuries take place.

I'm not taking sides here, I don't always agree with either one of you, fatherspider or fan1. But for you to say "you can choose to hate", I'm not sure what you think he is hating, when he is just pointing out the obvious. I choose not to be a hater, or a head-in-the-clouds kind of fan. I choose to be a realist about these things. We're never as bad as some think, and we've never been as good as some think. There is middle ground here.

Air hugs for everybody.....

We played like crap, no getting around it. That much is obvious. The bigger issue is we don't have other people to step up when Cline and/or TA goes out for foul trouble. Now we are going to find out if we can step up at guard if Shawndre can't go. If anything the guys should be pissed off and hopefully will come out with some fire after TT.

never said almost pulled it out, said had a chance to pull it out, my point is why so negative towards the team we love

I believe it is very easy for us, as fans, to under-estimate the impact that the storm had on our performance in this game. Being the home team, and not having to worry about travel delays, was big. TT had a huge, built-in, advantage in this one. If I am not mistaken, our flight out of Richmond was delayed, just the night before the big game. More importantly, I had counted both TJ and Pistol "out" of this game, in projected performance, largely because they probably got almost no sleep. Sure, you can say that these are just excuses, but I do believe they are also important factors, and I do believe they influenced the outcome. TJ's 7 turnovers would not have happened if he had arrived in Lubbock at 4 PM on the day before the game. Even super-athletes, like our guys, are not immune to stress associated with travel delays, and no one, even the pros, are immune to playing poorly after not sleeping well. I was hoping this game would not be played, because it looked to me as though we were set up to lose. This game reminded me of the Florida game, where external conditions (travel-related) totally took us out of our game.
You can call these excuses. I call them very reasonable explanations. We came back with a vengeance after the Florida debacle/loss. Let's hope we can do the same on Saturday, with or without our leader, SDJ.

I believe it is very easy for us, as fans, to under-estimate the impact that the storm had on our performance in this game. Being the home team, and not having to worry about travel delays, was big. TT had a huge, built-in, advantage in this one. If I am not mistaken, our flight out of Richmond was delayed, just the night before the big game. More importantly, I had counted both TJ and Pistol "out" of this game, in projected performance, largely because they probably got almost no sleep. Sure, you can say that these are just excuses, but I do believe they are also important factors, and I do believe they influenced the outcome. TJ's 7 turnovers would not have happened if he had arrived in Lubbock at 4 PM on the day before the game. Even super-athletes, like our guys, are not immune to stress associated with travel delays, and no one, even the pros, are immune to playing poorly after not sleeping well. I was hoping this game would not be played, because it looked to me as though we were set up to lose. This game reminded me of the Florida game, where external conditions (travel-related) totally took us out of our game.
You can call these excuses. I call them very reasonable explanations. We came back with a vengeance after the Florida debacle/loss. Let's hope we can do the same on Saturday, with or without our leader, SDJ.

Tell that to Gonzaga. They will play anybody,anywhere,anytime, and don't care about traveling. BTW wasn't TJ coming from his home in Plano, which means that he was already IN Texas?

Tell that to Gonzaga. They will play anybody,anywhere,anytime, and don't care about traveling. BTW wasn't TJ coming from his home in Plano, which means that he was already IN Texas?

Plano and Lubbock are 365 miles apart. Over a 5 hour drive under good conditions. I don't believe travel was the cause of our loss though.

never said almost pulled it out, said had a chance to pull it out, my point is why so negative towards the team we love
Dude u made a statement and I countered it with my own opinion which is that we were never ever in the game. How is that being negative toward the team? Should I make outrageous non factual statements just to sugar coat a bad performance like you are doing. It's very funny that you think losing by 15 and never getting within 10 is "had a chance to pull it out." That's all, you are funny.

I'm not taking sides here, I don't always agree with either one of you, fatherspider or fan1. But for you to say "you can choose to hate", I'm not sure what you think he is hating, when he is just pointing out the obvious. I choose not to be a hater, or a head-in-the-clouds kind of fan. I choose to be a realist about these things. We're never as bad as some think, and we've never been as good as some think. There is middle ground here.

Air hugs for everybody.....
+1

What was the last time UR won a true road game OOC against a good opponent not named Wake Forest? Serious question. I can't remember one outside of the time Gonzo hit a few from the parking lot against Florida.

UR2k. Not sure about that and I know this was in conference, but the ass whipping we put on VDU at Costco last year was awesome. I was there and it was fun and unexpected to see. Always great to see quiet RPI fans filing out!!

Reactions: urfan1 and Ram Bal
UR2k. Not sure about that and I know this was in conference, but the ass whipping we put on VDU at Costco last year was awesome. I was there and it was fun and unexpected to see. Always great to see quiet RPI fans filing out!!

That's why you should never get your hopes too high. Everyone hitched their wagon to VCU and their lofty expectations. now that the air is coming out of their balloon, they're starting to panic over there. Here, our expectations are always realistic. We know who we are.

Reactions: Ram Bal
To echo what a few others have been saying here, I think the most disappointing thing about this loss was the mostly invisible play from Davis and Taylor. Terry can't shoulder the load every night and when he's in foul trouble, seniors like these 2 have got to step up. I'm not expecting double digit scoring or even any scoring at all really. But most games these two can at least fill up the stat sheet in other ways (rebounds, blocks, steals) and play some toughness on defense.

Without looking it up, I'm guessing they've each played 100+ games in their college career now. They've seen every defense, big leads, big deficits, tough situations, etc. and Tuesday was the type of game that all that experience needed to pay off with some grit and determination to keep things close until the team can get on track. I'm still optomistic about the season and hoping this game was an exception and not the rule.

All that said we can really get the bad taste out of our mouths by coming out tomorrow and beating a good st joes team.

In my estimation, the last true road win against a ranked OOC opponent was Purdue in 2010. Since that 2010-11 season, we have sucked on the road. Not sure how to explain it, but that's just how it has been. We need to be somewhere around 21 wins heading into the A10 tourney, and that will be a tall order for this team.

Last edited:
OK, so it has been even longer than 2010. Not a good record to hang a hat on.

I believe neutral site counts as a road game for RPI purposes, but you all do bring up a good point. However, I would say our road win against Wake this year and neutral court win against Cal are two pretty good wins away from the Robins Center for us.

To pose it another way, how many teams come into the Robins Center and beat us. I'm sure their are many fan bases who feel when they play us on the road that their team should have a decent shot at winning but very few do.

Not defending Mooney because our road record period has been pretty dismal prior to the end of last year and the beginning of this year. Still feel that our results from our OOC play this year are OK. We needed to go 8-4 and we did. The loss that will hurt us the most of our 4 losses come NCAA time is the home court JMU loss. Losses at Texas Tech and Florida aren't going to hurt us but certainly a win in either of those games would have helped us immensely.

Don't disagree on any of that. Just seems that we come out "flat" a whole lot when we go on the road against good teams at their place. Winning on the road is hard in college basketball, we just often seem to start slow and can't catch up.

UNI last year, TT this year, Florida this year and last, NC State last year, at Minnesota, at Ohio, at Kansas (but that was expected) a few years back. None of those games did we give ourselves a shot to win.

OOC losses at the RC that come to mind are Ohio, Minnesota, Northeastern, JMU, Bucknell. We don't get many good teams OOC to play us at home

To put it another way, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, and UNC have zero roads wins between them this year. Duke has yet to play a true road game, while Kentucky is 0-1, Louisville is 0-2 and UNC is 0-2 in true road games. Makes our road record of 1-2 seem not quite as bad. Our road losses this year were to team ranked 6 and 19 in the RPI.

Dude u made a statement and I countered it with my own opinion which is that we were never ever in the game. How is that being negative toward the team? Should I make outrageous non factual statements just to sugar coat a bad performance like you are doing. It's very funny that you think losing by 15 and never getting within 10 is "had a chance to pull it out." That's all, you are funny.

X2

We came out of the blocks poorly, played from behind the entire game, & cut it to ten but could not do any additional damage. We really had no chance to win. Is that opinion or fact - I dunno, but what I do know is that we need to look at reality and not from the pie in the sky beliefs that some wish. We are all here for the same reason - because we care, are long term fans, want the team to play to its potential, win, and how about an NCAA bid? If my beliefs are unreasonable than I'd like like to know the alternative for reason-ability.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT