ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech In Game

Hope he gets more opportunities in conference play and starts making them. But there's lot more pressure in college play than HS. Being a guard, need to be able to count on him at end of games and right now can't say we would.

Our other guard is worse from the line after 4 years. I only count on Terry and SDJ at the line.

Everyone relax. Spiders will be fine. We got beat tonight and didn't play well. We are still in great shape for an at large bid as long as we take care of business in the A10. I do agree the foul shooting percentage is pitiful, but this team has too many shooters for it not to even out. I am disappointed in the effort, but this loss doesn't hurt the Spiders. Let's get back to the RC and take care of St. Joes.

How can a D1 team possibly shoot less than 50 percent from free throw line? Rebounding was a joke, and TT plays a fairly small lineup, and they just outhustled us for rebounds. TJ's turnovers killed us. We can make excuses, but it's meaningless. Get back to Richmond, and prepare for St. Joe's. They will have seen the video clips of this game, and will try to take advantage of our weaknesses.

Reactions: SpiderK
How can a D1 team possibly shoot less than 50 percent from free throw line? Rebounding was a joke, and TT plays a fairly small lineup, and they just outhustled us for rebounds. TJ's turnovers killed us. We can make excuses, but it's meaningless. Get back to Richmond, and prepare for St. Joe's. They will have seen the video clips of this game, and will try to take advantage of our weaknesses.

Agree, but I think the early foul trouble really killed us. Two of our three scorers out for most of the first half. Go to guys were gone!!! DT and TD disappeared as usual when they were needed most.

Agree, but I think the early foul trouble really killed us. Two of our three scorers out for most of the first half. Go to guys were gone!!!

And we played poorly at the home of a 9-1 team and still had a chance to pull it out. I'm disappointed that we played so poorly, but some posters need to relax. We're 8-4 with 3 good wins. we're not out of the mix, but we do need to be in the top of the A-10

Reactions: spiders13
Loss doesn't give us much breathing room... top 3 in the A10 or bust (aka NIT)

My concern is the losses to the three physical clubs we've played WV, FL, and TT... URI game next week and 2 VCU games will be tough if we have similar showings where we get out rebounded by 20 and refuse to fight inside.

Hope he gets more opportunities in conference play and starts making them. But there's lot more pressure in college play than HS. Being a guard, need to be able to count on him at end of games and right now can't say we would.

So how many does Fore have to shoot and miss before you finally admit he is terrible? Is the free throw line further back in college than in high school? You can't blame the refs for missed free throws. You can't blame the opposing team for missing free throws. These guys have been playing basketball most of their lives,they have shot tens of thousands free throws. It's an undefended shot, it never changes, you can practice it all by yourself. Why do we have 22 year old men who can't even make HALF their attempts? Why can't this team make free throws? WHY?

We were out of this game after the first three minutes, and Texas Tech didn't even play well. I am so glad I didn't watch this game live and I recorded it. I couldn't fast forward fast enough. I may not go to Saturday's game, I think I have windows to wash or something.

We are missing a Darius Garrett type. Sure, he wasn't a huge body and couldn't shoot, but he was tall, could play D and jump out of the gym to block shots. That is our single biggest deficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdspider
So how many does Fore have to shoot and miss before you finally admit he is terrible? Is the free throw line further back in college than in high school? You can't blame the refs for missed free throws. You can't blame the opposing team for missing free throws. These guys have been playing basketball most of their lives,they have shot tens of thousands free throws. It's an undefended shot, it never changes, you can practice it all by yourself. Why do we have 22 year old men who can't even make HALF their attempts? Why can't this team make free throws? WHY?

We were out of this game after the first three minutes, and Texas Tech didn't even play well. I am so glad I didn't watch this game live and I recorded it. I couldn't fast forward fast enough. I may not go to Saturday's game, I think I have windows to wash or something.

If you're going to skip it, please come over and wash mine. :)

Agree, fan1. Just need to move on. The Spiders played ok considering the circumstances and will still win many games. Happy New Year and Roll Spide! OSC
considering what? cannot shoot FTs; only select players take shots and only a few go for rim; help defense is so inconsistent as too many easy inside buckets;
we have no depth and other than Fore; MW is a hazard on defense and shoots a better 3 pt percentage then FTs; and finally if SDJ is out a month, our goose is
cooked cause TA will get Triple teamed with teams daring anyone to shoot the 3. Can Fore only dribble drive and shoot a layup? We are in trouble serious trouble
folks if Jones is out, I mean season over trouble.

Sure we gave up too many second chance points and had too many turnovers but if we make a reasonable number of our free throws, including the front end of 1&1s,, the outcome is potentially very different. Shoot, if shawndre hits the open 3 late that cuts the lead to 7 the outcome may have been differnt.

We will win Saturday and play well because every time we do poorly and we get mad then the team plays well. Then we will all be happy and then we won't play well and then we will be mad again.

It mean
Going back as far as I can remember we never do well against teams with big physical inside players even at our best years. Yes it's part of our system for better or for worse in this case.

For this particular game however I felt like it was there for the taking that's what makes it so frustrating we just did not play well in many phases of the game.
s we can't compete against most big 5 teams. We can go 12-6 in a-10 and I would still not think we are an ncaa team after that miserable performance against the projected last place team in big 12. They man handled us and coach genius thinks we can play man against anyone.

It appears that a team with a skilled or even semi-skilled big man will dominate us.

Except for, you know, the projected top10 draft pick Ivan Rabb. We have played well against better big men, we just didn't defend well, shoot free throws well and got a ton of tough calls against us this game.

Our last two losses came after bad travel situations on the home courts of P5 teams which usually have a vey large homecourt advantage. We also shot free throws very poorly against Florida (7-20) which leads me to believe travel fatigue was a large factor in both games since they are both huge outliers in terms of free throw shooting. I still believe we finish top 3 in the A10, get 20+ wins and make the NCAA tournament.

Also, preseason projections are not a good standard to judge a team by. Massey composite rankings currently has Texas Tech as the 5th best team in the B12 (just behind West Virginia) which many people believe is the best conference in the country this year. Dayton is the only A10 team ranked higher than Texas Tech, and even after last night we are the third highest ranked team in the A10. http://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Last edited:
R
How many points can you give up off offensive rebounds and still win? Stats don't win games players do.

Yes if we rebounded better we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we had shot free throws better we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we fouled less we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we prevented the easy alley oops and layups we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we turned the ball over less and forced more turnovers would have had a greater chance of winning. There are many aspects of defense we failed at tonight, not just rebounding. It was not rebounding alone that lost us the game, although it did put us at a large disadvantage.

Ok, so one should not be so concerned with the differential in rebounds: UR 20, TT 43. But I thought that the reason that we did not hit the boards was to get back on defense. Yet the Spiders had no points off fast breaks while TT had 10 points. Moreover, TT had 16 second chance points while the Spiders had only 6 points. Just don't know enough basketball to understand these relationships. In any case, sure hope Shawndre is back by Saturday's game. OSC

Would you say like an Alonzo Nelson Ododa 'type', per se?
Can ANO transfer back mid-season ;-) I think he would have had a greater impact this year at UR. Stats below.

2015 (Pitt) - 10 games played, 12 min/game, 2 points/game, 3 rebounds/game, 1 block/game
2014 (UR) - 27 games played, 23 min/game, 7 points/game, 5 rebounds/game, 2 blocks/game

My thoughts.... disappointing result but at least it was against a team that is now 10-1 and ranked #6 in the RPI. This won't go down as a "bad loss".

Hopefully, the team will take this loss as motivation to start the season with urgency and beat a 10-2 St. Joseph's team who's only losses are to Florida and Villanova. I will be there Saturday. Hope we great a great crowd to start the new year and conference schedule!

NIT bid?!?!? We targeted this year for an NCAA bid. next year we'll be re building,right? This team will need epic conference play to turn this around. It's come to Jesus time. Come on Spiders Get pissed off and play like it

R

Yes if we rebounded better we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we had shot free throws better we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we fouled less we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we prevented the easy alley oops and layups we would have had a greater chance of winning. If we turned the ball over less and forced more turnovers would have had a greater chance of winning. There are many aspects of defense we failed at tonight, not just rebounding. It was not rebounding alone that lost us the game, although it did put us at a large disadvantage.

You just listed an entire game full of "if we" did this & that better or differently. The fact of the matter is that "if we" doesn't cut it. The game is played on a court between two teams and "if's" don't factor in. We didn't execute...period in multiple facets of the game - some of these baked into Mooney's System & some just poor execution. Unfortunately this was a similar outcome to the Florida loss, but Florida was a better & more physical team than TT.

Can ANO transfer back mid-season ;-) I think he would have had a greater impact this year at UR. Stats below.

2015 (Pitt) - 10 games played, 12 min/game, 2 points/game, 3 rebounds/game, 1 block/game
2014 (UR) - 27 games played, 23 min/game, 7 points/game, 5 rebounds/game, 2 blocks/game
I thought he transferred to pursue a prestigious post graduate degree ;)

A few observations:

1.) What really killed us last night was giving Texas Tech so many easy put-backs. Simple matter of not boxing out on the defensive glass, this has zero to do with the CM system of our squad not hitting our own offensive glass, it's just a matter of boxing out and desire. We didn't box out, and we basically got manhandled in the paint.

2.) The refereeing was typically poor, and being on the road it didn't help that our best player sat on the bench hamstrung with early foul trouble. We also need TA to not put himself in situations where he is picking up silly fouls, he has to be smarter than that.

3.) We suck on the road, and have sucked on the road since the 2010-2011 season. No mental toughness in the other team's arena. We had a great chance last night to take a road win in a practically empty opposing gym.

4.) As I have said many times, we ALWAYS let the other OOC team's big man have a career night against us. I won't go down the list of names because I already have done so many times, but it always hurts us.

5.) If we don't make the NCAA's this year, I think CM's seat ought to get pretty warm. I for one am tired of the excuses and our team not playing up to potential/expectations.

Except for, you know, the projected top10 draft pick Ivan Rabb. We have played well against better big men, we just didn't defend well, shoot free throws well and got a ton of tough calls against us this game.

Our last two losses came after bad travel situations on the home courts of P5 teams which usually have a vey large homecourt advantage. We also shot free throws very poorly against Florida (7-20) which leads me to believe travel fatigue was a large factor in both games since they are both huge outliers in terms of free throw shooting. I still believe we finish top 3 in the A10, get 20+ wins and make the NCAA tournament.

Also, preseason projections are not a good standard to judge a team by. Massey composite rankings currently has Texas Tech as the 5th best team in the B12 (just behind West Virginia) which many people believe is the best conference in the country this year. Dayton is the only A10 team ranked higher than Texas Tech, and even after last night we are the third highest ranked team in the A10. http://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Oh please, give me a break, I'm sick and tired of blaming the loses on bad refs and travel problems. You sound like my kids blaming their teachers when they would get a bad grade. And if we're losing because of travel problems, then someone in the front office should be fired.

We have different players thru the years, but our problems seem to be the same. In my opinion this points to coaching. There's a reason ANO transferred, and it wasn't for academics. As my stepson (Naval Academy and MIT grad) always tells his sister (Pitt grad), Pittsburgh is a 2nd tier school.

Reactions: SpiderFan26
Rick - are you saying ANO transferred because of coaching? Please tell me I misunderstood you.

You know who lost the game by who is blaming the refs. Did the refs make some questionable calls, sure, they always do. But it went both ways. Remember TJ got away with a big time hook when he scored and Khwan had a great flop that they called an offensive charge on TT. Does it make a difference in 15 point loss, not a chance.

Reactions: Marley13
And who cares why ANO transferred, moot point. In my mind he transferred, because he saw himself as a starter and realized he was no longer going to start for us. That has worked our real well for him at Pitt and his 12 minutes of PT. So, maybe he did transfer for academic reasons after all.

Rick - are you saying ANO transferred because of coaching? Please tell me I misunderstood you.

Pike, I don't know why he transferred, but I wouldn't rule out anything, including coaching. Look, I love Chris Mooney, I think he's the second best coach we've had in my lifetime. But (stressing that I'm just a casual observer), he just seems inflexible to change about some obvious repeating problems.

Ok, fair enough. I think every coach has a "system" and each system has good and bad. The much ballyhooed "Havoc" was trash after you beat the press, but not everyone could get that done. We just need to take the good with the bad and realize that there is and will continue to be some of each. Our Spiders are a good team but not so good that we can have a bad night and still beat a solid team. We're going to have a very solid season and will be in a good spot come March but I'm sure there will be some bumps along the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT