ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech In Game

Much to be disappointed in with our play tonight and yes, the refs weren't good, but not responsible for the loss.

Be honest, 8-4 OOC record was about the best that even our most critical posters expected. Get back to River City and be prepared for St Joe's.

Same ol Cr.p. I'm tried of the excuses, bad refs, travel problems, etc. etc.etc. Once again we've have a weak OOC record and will be struggle (be lucky) to be in the Tourney. Extremely frustrated

Reactions: Hanca and SpiderK
This was certainly a very frustrating game to watch. Frustrating also by the fact we had a good chance to steal a win on the road with very few fans in attendance. It's good that we picked up the energy late in the game to finish strong, but we played with no energy to start the game. That on top of bad perimeter and free throw shooting will put us in the hole quick. Free throw shooting and three point shooting will fluctuate to a certain extent but there still remains to big systemic issues. 1) We cannot execute other ways of scoring when our long range shots aren't falling. 2) The #32 center on Tech's team dominated us down low. We are not aggressive down low and get out-sized. If we want to compete with the big boys, we need to have a presence down low.

Now we have to focus on conference play and hope to take it to a good Saint Joseph's team come Saturday!

Shots Taken - TT: 58 UR:56
2FG% - TT:54% UR:52%
3FG% - TT:37.5% UR: 37%
FT Taken - TT:27 UR:21
FT% - TT:81.5% UR: 47.6%

We were pretty close in everything but free throws taken and free throw percentage. I didn't get to see the game, just heard the broadcast.

The team picked last in Big 12, dominated Spiders. We look very much like a mid-major that can't play physically against the power conference schools. We have wins against them, but we need to hit 3s and FTs, and couldn't tonight. How is it we had zero success, from preventing them from passing to wide open bigs under the basket? At this point, NIT is possible, but we don't look like an NCAA tourney team. We're in a weaker conference this year, but we're going to have get better, to be better than a mid level team in A-10. Positive sign- Fore looks like the real deal, I think he's going to have a phenomenal career with UR. TJ and Marshall have offensive talents, but we look really vulnerable with them playing defense.

Reactions: SpiderK
poor showing tonight, hopefully we'll regroup and come back strong before St. Joes

This was certainly a very frustrating game to watch. Frustrating also by the fact we had a good chance to steal a win on the road with very few fans in attendance. It's good that we picked up the energy late in the game to finish strong, but we played with no energy to start the game. That on top of bad perimeter and free throw shooting will put us in the hole quick. Free throw shooting and three point shooting will fluctuate to a certain extent but there still remains to big systemic issues. 1) We cannot execute other ways of scoring when our long range shots aren't falling. 2) The #32 center on Tech's team dominated us down low. We are not aggressive down low and get out-sized. If we want to compete with the big boys, we need to have a presence down low.

Now we have to focus on conference play and hope to take it to a good Saint Joseph's team come Saturday!
Free throw shooting shouldn't flucuate, and ours doesn't, it just stinks

Pretty much mailed that one in. Not much spine on this team. Fundamentals still not practiced with same results.

Agree, fan1. Just need to move on. The Spiders played ok considering the circumstances and will still win many games. Happy New Year and Roll Spide! OSC

How good would we be if we shot FT at a 70 percent clip? It is amazing, and way worse than it looks in that many misses are front ends of one-and-ones.... Really sad. Also, if ShawnDre is hurt, we are hurting.

You have a better chance of seeing the spider mascot score a basket than CM changing...anything.[/QUO
Great coach we have!!!
Same ol Cr.p. I'm tried of the excuses, bad refs, travel problems, etc. etc.etc. Once again we've have a weak OOC record and will be struggle (be lucky) to be in the Tourney. Extremely frustrated
coaching is weak

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Shots Taken - TT: 58 UR:56
2FG% - TT:54% UR:52%
3FG% - TT:37.5% UR: 37%
FT Taken - TT:27 UR:21
FT% - TT:81.5% UR: 47.6%

We were pretty close in everything but free throws taken and free throw percentage. I didn't get to see the game, just heard the broadcast.
Got any stats on rebounds & 2nd chance points?

Wonder if Tubby will try to schedule us for more games, we are cupcakes to his teams, 0-3. He's a nice guy, but I'd like to beat him just once.

Free throw shooting shouldn't flucuate, and ours doesn't, it just stinks

Sorry, let me clarify. It should fluctuate to a certain extent. What I was trying to get that we can have relatively good free throw shooting and perimeter shooting one day and relatively (to our standards) worse another day. However, things like finding alternative ways to execute an effective offense, aggressiveness down low, getting boards, not giving up easy shots, are all factors that should remain as a bedrock to our team. In other words if all else "fails" we can at least depend on that. However, we do not have that it seems.

Wonder if Tubby will try to schedule us for more games, we are cupcakes to his teams, 0-3. He's a nice guy, but I'd like to beat him just once.
Wasn't this. Home & Home? Or will he not be there next season?

Unfortunately for whatever reason, away games have produced the same results, wash, rinse, repeat. I do not blame the players for being unprepared for road game. Even Jerry Wainwright, could win on the road at Kansas.

3 things:
1) Terrible slow start
2) Missed free throws
3) Foul trouble, especially TA, that was a killer

I know posting when you're piss.d is not a good idea, but UR pays Mooney a lot of money, this was the team we sat thru a 500 season so they could redshirt for the future. Here is where we are. Pathetic

When do we say enough is enough

Reactions: Hanca and SpiderK
Sorry, let me clarify. It should fluctuate to a certain extent. What I was trying to get that we can have relatively good free throw shooting and perimeter shooting one day and relatively (to our standards) worse another day. However, things like finding alternative ways to execute an effective offense, aggressiveness down low, getting boards, not giving up easy shots, are all factors that should remain as a bedrock to our team. In other words if all else "fails" we can at least depend on that. However, we do not have that it seems.
Yea of course!!! We have a system coach who somehow got a multi million dollar contract by playing one system and he can't adjust because he knows nothing else. Tubby smith laughs at Chris mooney!!! He laughs at him.

I know posting when you're piss.d is not a good idea, but UR pays Mooney a lot of money, this was the team we sat thru a 500 season so they could redshirt for the future. Here is where we are. Pathetic

We never do w a wine and cheese fan base that is just happy to finish in the top half of a mid major conference. All is rosy in Richmond as long as we have nice kids and coach mooney is beating Fordham every year. Yippee

When do we say enough is enough[/QU

When do we say enough is enough
From all the hype I read last year at the end of the season after advancing deep in the NIT, this would be an NCAA bid season. We're starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors - not a rebuilding team by any stretch.

OK - so we had a good / fair OOC record. We beat a couple good teams, beat some cupcakes, and got beaten badly by a couple we should be either stealing a win from or at least competing (Florida & Tex. Tech - both very bad performances). Throw in a season opening loss to JMU at home - a team that 1) has beaten us 2 years in a row and 2) a team we should always win against.

So the slate starts now with conference play. We're going to find out how good we are and how consistent we can shoot.

To answer your question of, "When do we say enough is enough?" Response - If we don't make it to the NCAA's this year, I'd think that some serious discussion needs to take place. But that's just my 2 cents worth and everyone has their own.

Knew it wasn't going to be a good night when we're jacking up way too many 3's early in the game and not attacking the rim. Unfortunately, our team seems to wilt against physical teams, especially on the road. The one guy who seems fearless lately is Fore and really like to see him attacking (and he at least tries to rebound). But he's got to become a much better FT shooter; otherwise, teams will foul him just to get the ball back.

Going back as far as I can remember we never do well against teams with big physical inside players even at our best years. Yes it's part of our system for better or for worse in this case.

For this particular game however I felt like it was there for the taking that's what makes it so frustrating we just did not play well in many phases of the game.

While I was very disappointed in this game, I think we go too far sometimes, in our disappointment in a defeat. I think we do surprisingly well, as a basketball program, given our circumstances. Does anyone out there really believe, Tubby Smith doesn't have a huge advantage recruiting tough, physical kids, over CM? We go through this every year, we recruit kids who don't get BCS offers. We really hope to get kids like Terry Allen, who will improve year after year. We have some very talented kids this year, but it wasn't enough tonight. We really need TA and TJ to stay out of foul trouble. When we have both in game, they are very tough to defend. Terry is a far better all around player than TJ or Marshall, who look lost on defense at times. When we win these kinds of games, it's because we play smarter than we did tonight, and we need to take advantage of open 3 point chances, and hit free throws. We simply were outplayed in too many areas of the game.

Give the team credit, they were badly outplayed in first half, and they didn't give up. For a while in second half, I actually had some hope that we were going to pull the game out. I don't see this as an NCAA tourney at large, but we are going to be make some noise in A-10, and an NIT bid is likely. Win a few close games, and we still might go to NCAA. But we need to develop more depth, we aren't going far with just 7 players. What happened to Friendshuh? KoVien is gone. And Jesse and Julius still can't earn a lot of time. Someone needs to nail down an 8th rotation spot.

And, I'm becoming a big fan of Fore.

Khwan has potential as he shot 87%from the line his senior year in high school. He will get better. OSC

What scares me is that we are only going to play 7 guys, 2 of which can not score or make a free throw. Also, we can't play defense against average teams. Wow, that was ugly basketball. 47% from the free throw line. That is impossible with D-1 players. It's going to be Hack-a-Spider the rest of the year.

Also has Mooney been taking a Valium before each game? Not saying I liked him getting all those technicals but it just seems like he has no energy on the bench. Maybe it's just me but thought I would mention

Khwan has potential as he shot 87%from the line his senior year in high school. He will get better. OSC
Hope he gets more opportunities in conference play and starts making them. But there's lot more pressure in college play than HS. Being a guard, need to be able to count on him at end of games and right now can't say we would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT