ADVERTISEMENT

Strauss...

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
Who I believe is down in Florida visiting his doctor just tweeted "I'm back baby!"

Here we go.

You got to be kidding me, so we could have all our QBs back for the rest of the season? Let's see how this all pans out!

Know we all want him to do what is right for him physically, but it would be great for him to return if Docs clear him. It is apparent we are a much stronger team with him at QB. Not a knock on Rocco at all. He is done what was required with Strauss out without having the luxury of working on timing with the receivers to the extent Strauss has - last year, off season and at camp. The O is a smooth running machine for the most part with Strauss back there.

Rocco should play as #1 now.Strauss' ankle ligament/bone damage is a very serious injury.Orthopedic guy down here in the Sunshine State has a young QB who really,really wants to play and have obviously advised he and his parents that he will not incur permanent damage if he gets reinjured .Lets face it you don't heal that quickly.Richmond orthopedic docs saw his injury quite differently.We have many more games to play in November and December and January.With Broadus back we will likely need a triumvirate to pull it off.Strauss' eagerness is extremely laudatory but keep Rocco as the starter.He's undefeated at the helm,

Hear you, but we are not assured of any games in December, let alone January. If he isn't physically ready, don't put him in. If the Docs say he is - well, why wouldn't you?

Rocco is nowhere close to Strauss and that is obvious from the past three games, even though we are undefeated. If Strauss is cleared by a doctor and wants to play, he has earned the right to be our starting QB.

"If Strauss is cleared by a doctor and wants to play, he has earned the right to be our starting QB."

Logic aside,it ain't gonna happen.

Wow. This is going to be interesting. Rocco has to be the guy at Maine, but would seem to make a lot of sense if Strauss can prove he's good to go that he gets the ball back for JMU.

I have to be excited, but at the same time I have to be concerned for his long term health

I dont think the doctors, his parents, or coach Rocco would let him play if he was compromising his long term health. If they say he can go, why not play him. All the people mentioned above are all much closer to the situation than we are and we have to trust they are doing the right thing. I would love to have him back for JMU W&M.

we should stay calm here, this may only mean that the docs say he will not further damage anything by playing, not that he is ready to play right now. he did a number on this area and doubt if it is healed yet so, yes, maybe in a few weeks, he might be able to play but really don't think we are going to see him for a while. would i like to be very wrong, absolutely.

Many play with injuries this time of the year. The kid is a senior, let him play if he wants to. He knows whatever risks there may be. It will take him a while to get back into rhythm, so maybe Rocco should start and Strauss be limited for now. It will force our opponents to prepare for both!

Originally posted by URFan1:
I have to be excited, but at the same time I have to be concerned for his long term health
First of all, its his ankle (not his head), so even if he reinjures the ankle, it is not like he is going to die an early death or have a long term disability from a broken ankle.

Secondly, Strauss isn't going to the NFL, so this might be the last time he gets to play competitive football, if the docs clear him, let him play.

97, don't wish to speak for FAN but have had friends who injured feet, ankles, who to this day cannot walk right, could never play tennis or golf or jog again. does not have to be a head to have an enormous affect on the rest of one's life. don't think anyone is saying his injury is of this type, really do not know at this point. if it is not 100% or close, he will not be able to move in the pocket or take off if forced to do so. the coaches will have to make a decision after they see what kind of condition he is in and whether he can move freely.

Spinner, I am one that has a perpetually aching ankle from a soccer injury. I kept playing aware of the risk. It is completely up to him. The long term pain might not be any different if he plays or does not play.

Hopefully he is able to come back and play. It would be great for him to be able to end his college career on the field. I do hope, and expect, that if there is the potential of any long-term damage to his ankle or foot, he is made aware of those risks. I think part of coaching at times is looking out for the best life interests of a kid who may or may not be able to see that big picture.

Thought the injury was more of a severely sprained ankle variety (with a small fracture/chip), which is why it has been called a broken ankle. Not judging it's severity, but this was initially diagnosed as 3-4 week injury and then declared season ending, so I am not surprised that he now might be back.

Not much sadder on the football sideline than seeing a senior ending his career on crutches (Ben Edwards, Stephen Barnette and many others through the years).

Strauss is an adult. It's not your call or my call, or for that matter his parents call, it's his call.

When he's cleared to play, he should be the starter. I don't think it will take him any time to get back in the flow of the offense. He knows the recievers and they know him.

A damaged/ 'weak ankle' can hamper you for a long time. However, if he's allowed and he wants to play that is the best (or maybe second best - election) news I've gotten today.

I do think Strauss will get a look at the next level, he reads well, seems to go through his progressions appropriately, has a great arm, (I wish he was a little more mobile) Good enough to play on Sunday? maybe.

you guys apparently read way to much in my post. I hope he can play today, but I do want him to be well-- I'm sure between the Coaches, and the Doctors they will not let his enthusiasm control, they will do what is best for him and the team

Originally posted by SpiderRick:
Not much sadder on the football sideline than seeing a senior ending his career on crutches (Ben Edwards, Stephen Barnette and many others through the years).

Strauss is an adult. It's not your call or my call, or for that matter his parents call, it's his call.
Well, Strauss isn't the coach, so it's not his call in the end.

My point is that I think the coach needs to be the reasonable adult in a situation like this and weigh everything, as I'm sure he will do. And not to say that Strauss is not an adult, not reasonable or not capable of deciding how much he wants to risk. Many players would try to go back in after suffering a concussion, too, because that's how they're wired. But that's where a coach and doctor may need to protect themselves from themselves.

That said, I am sure Coach Rocco wants to win more than any of us do and he will do whatever makes the most sense to achieve that goal.

if he is cleared medically, it is up to the coaches to watch him practice and see if he can make the drops, the pivots, etc. if he can, great, if he cannot, MR will play. doubt if we see him this week and maybe not until the playoffs, if we get that far.

The Spiders would have won by a lot more than 1 point if Michael had been under center last Saturday. Fingers crossed for a healthy and confident return to play...

Always good to get a 2nd opinion and Strauss at least has options. Up to him to decide. But people heal at very different rates and not everyone needs pins and surgery. Too many ortho docs are knife happy. Luckily, not all are particularly with young people. Saw that in our family with a kid's broken arm in 2 places. Healed just fine without surgery in less time than estimated. Really hope Strauss can be our starting QB before end of Nov. Just more consistent, stronger passer and has better rhythm with receiving corps. Would be fitting if he returned against JMU, since that game 2 years ago was his coming out party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT